Author Topic: American Gods  (Read 26174 times)

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: American Gods
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2017, 02:10:49 pm »
The music in this show is fantastic. Brian Retzell is the guy responsible. He also did the music for Hannibal, which I remember gushing about at the time.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2017, 03:39:30 pm »
The show is good, but it cannot be this slow all the time. They better start including some explanations along the way.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2017, 03:50:40 pm »
Tried the first 2 episodes and gave up. Probably just not my kind of show. Looks great though
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2017, 04:17:35 pm »
Tried the first 2 episodes and gave up. Probably just not my kind of show. Looks great though
I am thinking that the creators expected everybody to be familiar with the story, that the viewers have made their background research, read, watched the show trailers etc. But what if they haven't? I am afraid the show will struggle to attract unfamiliar viewers.

I am unfamiliar with the story, only watched the trailer, so it has been annoying not to know what is going on for 3 episodes. You cannot expect unfamiliar viewers to be attracted to a story they have 0 clues about.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2017, 04:24:22 pm »
I am thinking that the creators expected everybody to be familiar with the story, that the viewers have made their background research, read, watched the show trailers etc. But what if they haven't? I am afraid the show will struggle to attract unfamiliar viewers.

I am unfamiliar with the story, only watched the trailer, so it has been annoying not to know what is going on for 3 episodes. You cannot expect unfamiliar viewers to be attracted to a story they have 0 clues about.
It's playing out exactly like the book.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2017, 04:25:34 pm »

This is exactly the issue. Had no idea what was going on in first two episodes. Well obviously had a basic outline but had to read online recaps to get a grip of the story.

Really nice looking show though.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2017, 04:34:48 pm »
It's playing out exactly like the book.
Really? Surprised so many people liked the book then.

Judging from the IMDB reviews, the show seems to be very polarizing for the audience. The book readers seem to be happy with it (8-10/10 ratings), whereas everybody else is complaining (1-5/10 ratings). I am OK with a bit of mystery, slow shows if done OK. But 3 episodes in, its a lot of chatting, drinking, fighting (pointlessly), walking, driving. Literally nothing has happened that couldn't have been fit in 30-40 minutes. In this day and age when the TV shows are competing with 100s of others, this simply is not going to be good enough to attract attention. Amazon apparently advertised it as their Game of Thrones, which is delusional.

Like True Detective season 2, I keep watching this in the hope of a major change for the better. Also, I like shows with supernatural elements. But it has been testing my patience. This weekend alone, Netflix are releasing highly anticipated The Keepers, and Twin Peaks is also returning.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:53:31 pm by Xxavi »

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2017, 04:37:20 pm »
It might be one you'd be better off binging, I'm not sure.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2017, 05:55:36 pm »
It might be one you'd be better off binging, I'm not sure.

I think he just needs to move onto something else. Why continue with something you're not enjoying when there's a plethora of other shows to watch.

It clearly isn't for everyone.

I couldn't give two hoots about IMDB ratings or if I'm the only person on the planet watching it.  I haven't read the book either and still think Its great.

Like Better Call Saul, its one of those slow, simmering, wonderful looking shows to kick off your shoes, sit back and let it flow.

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2017, 05:57:48 pm »
I think he just needs to move onto something else. Why continue with something you're not enjoying when there's a plethora of other shows to watch.

It clearly isn't for everyone.

I couldn't give two hoots about IMDB ratings or if I'm the only person on the planet watching it.  I haven't read the book either and still think Its great.

Like Better Call Saul, its one of those slow, simmering, wonderful looking shows to kick off your shoes, sit back and let it flow.

You don't define what you watch and like with IMDB ratings? There is something seriously wrong with you, Peter.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2017, 08:26:26 pm »
Really? Surprised so many people liked the book then.

Judging from the IMDB reviews, the show seems to be very polarizing for the audience. The book readers seem to be happy with it (8-10/10 ratings), whereas everybody else is complaining (1-5/10 ratings). I am OK with a bit of mystery, slow shows if done OK. But 3 episodes in, its a lot of chatting, drinking, fighting (pointlessly), walking, driving. Literally nothing has happened that couldn't have been fit in 30-40 minutes. In this day and age when the TV shows are competing with 100s of others, this simply is not going to be good enough to attract attention. Amazon apparently advertised it as their Game of Thrones, which is delusional.

Like True Detective season 2, I keep watching this in the hope of a major change for the better. Also, I like shows with supernatural elements. But it has been testing my patience. This weekend alone, Netflix are releasing highly anticipated The Keepers, and Twin Peaks is also returning.
I haven't read the book, and think this is a 10/10 show so far. I've recommended it to so many people. Sure, I like science fiction & mythology, but this show is absolutely stunning.

GOT is pretty slow too, but very very popular.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2017, 08:15:14 am »
that the viewers have made their background research, read, watched the show trailers etc.

I make a point of avoiding any information at all about a new show...hate trailers, blurbs and reviews of any description......if it stands up it stands up........digging 'Gods' , confusing, but more than enough going on to keep me on board
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2017, 11:06:26 am »
This is exactly the issue. Had no idea what was going on in first two episodes. Well obviously had a basic outline but had to read online recaps to get a grip of the story.

Really nice looking show though.
honestly the book is the same, still had me enthralled though. i would maybe revisit it when theyre all out and you can binge

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2017, 11:09:58 am »
honestly the book is the same, still had me enthralled though. i would maybe revisit it when theyre all out and you can binge
I am going to read the book before season 2 starts.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2017, 10:16:58 pm »
What to say about episode 4?

I think weird as fuck sums it up.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2017, 07:16:48 pm »
What to say about episode 4?

I think weird as fuck sums it up.

I agree but I also think. Absolutely Brilliant could also sum it up

What an episode and what performances from the two female leads.

The last 20 minutes especially was fucking ace.   

Love this show so much :)

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2017, 10:05:54 pm »

its the most bizzare show ever. It's brilliant and quite funny too.

Really enjoying it.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2017, 10:19:46 pm »

Yes it was all about the build up to those last 20 minutes.

In the first part it took we a while to work out what was going on and what time zone we were in.if you know what I mean.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2017, 01:58:01 am »
man alive, episode 4....an absolutely stunning hour of TV...visual storytelling at its very best
...and Emily Browning, wow what an actress.......the first 3 eps were impressive but this one blew me away......more please
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2017, 08:19:36 am »
Episode 4 was amazing.

Every scene with Audrey had me in tears, laughing hard in disbelief. It was such a change of tone.  ;D

"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2017, 09:25:54 am »
Episode 4 was amazing.

Every scene with Audrey had me in tears, laughing hard in disbelief. It was such a change of tone.  ;D

Same.

Audrey is my favourite character. The two episodes she has appeared  in she has stolen the show.

As you say, dark humour at its best. :)

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2017, 10:52:44 pm »
Wow David Bowie God and amazingly Gillian looks so good as him.

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2017, 10:59:56 pm »
"My lucky coin Ginger minge"

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2017, 11:06:10 pm »
stunning.

Offline Mikeebee

• Legacy Fan
  • You've won a Blankety Blank Cheque Book & Pen
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2017, 05:29:56 am »
".... Ginger minge"
phrases that I never thought I'd hear after I left school, let alone on a TV programme :)
JFT 96 YNWA
@mikeebee7

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2017, 05:20:47 pm »
It keeps getting better and better.

Crisping Glover and Gillian Anderson are having so much fun playing their roles.
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2017, 10:36:48 pm »
Just caught up... I'd been keeping out of here.

I have absolutely no bloody idea what's happening but content to sit along for the ride. This series is fucking brilliant, just so enjoyable!

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2017, 11:06:47 pm »
Just caught up... I'd been keeping out of here.

I have absolutely no bloody idea what's happening but content to sit along for the ride. This series is fucking brilliant, just so enjoyable!

Last episode should make more sense, did you figure out who Wednesday is yet?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2017, 12:14:15 am »
Just realised that's George McFly.

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2017, 08:49:56 am »
Just realised that's George McFly.
Haha just looked that up myself, knew him couldn't place.

I read the books of this long enough ago that a lot of it is refreshing rather. Which is nice, still a little bit of surprise.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: June 5, 2017, 05:03:02 pm »
Loved the last episode

Spoiler
Really nice that we get more of Salim, enjoyed those 3 together. 
[close]

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 5, 2017, 05:58:29 pm »
Loved the last episode

Spoiler
Really nice that we get more of Salim, enjoyed those 3 together. 
[close]
That made me grin. What a road trip ;D

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #112 on: June 6, 2017, 12:30:18 am »
I think the way some feel in regards to American Gods is how I felt when I watched Preacher I hadn't read the book and had to read online recap reviews to get a gist of the story but I don't feel that way at all with American Gods. I have been able to follow the story without recaps and have found it entertaining.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #113 on: June 6, 2017, 10:07:19 am »
Hmm...I too didn't have an idea about Preacher before but the weirdness and the "what the hell is going on'' factor on American Gods is on another level.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #114 on: June 6, 2017, 05:39:03 pm »
Hmm...I too didn't have an idea about Preacher before but the weirdness and the "what the hell is going on'' factor on American Gods is on another level.

Out of Twin Peaks, Preacher, Legion and American Gods I have found the latter more accessible to my own coherence.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #115 on: June 6, 2017, 05:46:19 pm »
Cannot get my head around this, I'm out!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: June 7, 2017, 01:45:56 am »
Cannot get my head around this, I'm out!

Only two episodes left this season, and you are bailing out?  ???

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #117 on: June 8, 2017, 11:21:32 am »
The guy who plays Shadow Moon's a bit dull, 

In the book, it mentions more than once that Shadow is the sort of person who, despite his bulk,  naturally fades into the background, doesn't seek to take the limelight.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #118 on: June 8, 2017, 04:52:18 pm »
very enjoyable mindbender of a show....pleasantly impenetrable at times if, like me, you're unfamiliar with the books (btw, no spoilers please) but looks and sounds great - the freeform jazz score that accompanied the latest episode was boss - and gives you enough to keep you wanting more....excellent stuff

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #119 on: June 9, 2017, 06:58:01 am »
As an avid box set lover( and I've clocked up way too many hours over the last few years) I've got to say this is spell binding stuff. I've never watched a show quite like it and I'm loving the pacing and direction it's taking. Very good indeed :)
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome