Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 799378 times)

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #320 on: October 14, 2008, 01:48:55 pm »
I've recently discovered fartlek - I love it as much as I love its name ;D

Really enjoying this thread lately too, it's good to see it so busy.

Do you do your fartlek on the road, track or gym?  My training has just been standard runs so I was thinking of turning to the dark side and getting all scientific!
Justice - 22 years overdue.

Offline FrancisTierney

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #321 on: October 14, 2008, 02:57:33 pm »
Francis, with 3) do you mean run a km at, say, 4.30 (if aiming for 45:00 10k), then jog a recovery (how long?) before attempting the next km of effort?

Yes mate thats about right. There are 2 schools of thought on this :

1)Run at the pace you indidcated (4.30 for a 45 minute 10k)

2) Try and run a bit quicker (Maybe 4.25) with a slightly longer recovery. The idea being that if you can teach your body to deal with running at 4.25 then 4.30 will feel far more straight forward.

I recently sat in on an endurance day put on by welsh athletics. There was a lengthy question and answer session involved with the two guys being asked questions being Dan Robinson (Britains only male marathon representative in Beijing) and Steve Jones (Welsh guy, former world record holder for marathon 2:07).
It was interesting to see their attitudes toward training.  Being marathon specific the placed all their focus on their weekly long run (robinson runs first 10 mile of it at 6 minute pace and the last 10 miles at target race pace).
They both openly stated thought that they had no secret formula, running is very much a function of finding what works for you.  Some guys run well off few miles and quality work where as other are somewhat more high maintenance and have to rattle up huge mileage.

Its worth the slog though, great sport, easy to participate in and practical in terms of being able to just put your shoes on and go for it.

Keep at it!!

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: October 14, 2008, 05:28:31 pm »
Do you do your fartlek on the road, track or gym?  My training has just been standard runs so I was thinking of turning to the dark side and getting all scientific!

Out on the road/paths. And it's not very precise - I dunno how to get my watch to beep at intervals so I just pick landmarks and run hard till I get to them, then recover, then do it again. Sometimes I use the watch to time but it's never exact. It definitely adds a bit of variety to a run :)

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: October 14, 2008, 09:47:56 pm »
Out on the road/paths. And it's not very precise - I dunno how to get my watch to beep at intervals so I just pick landmarks and run hard till I get to them, then recover, then do it again. Sometimes I use the watch to time but it's never exact. It definitely adds a bit of variety to a run :)

Lamposts are a good guide and usually the same distance apart.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: October 15, 2008, 09:38:38 am »
Just finished 5k in 19.40 so I am improving - was only on the treadmill tho :(
"You don't play chess with Kasparov" - Juande Ramos, 25 Feb 2009

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: October 15, 2008, 11:32:00 am »
Just finished 5k in 19.40 so I am improving - was only on the treadmill tho :(

Good stuff mate.  I do most of my training on the treadmill and actually find it harder in some ways.  The gym is quite hot generally and you dont tend to bounce on the treadmill in the same way you do on the road.  You will probably find that you can easily replicate that time outdoors mate.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #326 on: October 15, 2008, 12:20:09 pm »
Good stuff mate.  I do most of my training on the treadmill and actually find it harder in some ways.  The gym is quite hot generally and you dont tend to bounce on the treadmill in the same way you do on the road.  You will probably find that you can easily replicate that time outdoors mate.

Guys when training on a treadmill its recomended that you sent the incline to 1.0 to give a more accurate replicaion on the road.

Road and treadmill running are two very different beasts and the way your body hits the two different surfaces is very very different.

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: October 15, 2008, 12:28:30 pm »
Yeah, I actually much prefer running on the road. I find it hard to run 'naturally' on the treadmill - I keep worrying about balance and it's impossible to stretch out or move around at all. My mate's girl is overseas for 3 months tho and we've got the keys to her flat and brand new gym in her building, so what can you do.... :)

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #328 on: October 15, 2008, 10:56:33 pm »
Was happy doing anything from 10 minutes to 90 on a treadmill but that changed when I lived to Dubai and trained for a marathon, almost solely on a treadmill. I tried running outdoors for a few weeks, but had to get up before 4am and even then it was too hot and humid by 5-5:30 to really get going (it was summer, so 30-35C by early morning, 50C by midday). Got badly sunburnt at 7am, had a litre and a half of water last me about 40 minutes - it was horrible. So went indoors and trained on a treadmill. Did two hour + runs and they were the most monotonous runs I've ever done. Just can't do longer than 30 minutes on them now, even with TVs to stare at!

To be honest, even without that, I'd still prefer that feeling of being out, especially early morning, wind, rain or shine, with very few other people about. There's something strangely thrilling about running through empty places that are normally busy, like a town centre.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: October 16, 2008, 08:43:48 am »
I'd still prefer that feeling of being out, especially early morning, wind, rain or shine, with very few other people about. There's something strangely thrilling about running through empty places that are normally busy, like a town centre.

Exactly!

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: October 16, 2008, 09:28:24 am »
Exactly!

Absolutely, my long weekend run (generally on a Sunday at 8am) is great and far more enjoyable.

Unfortunately I cant do all my running outdoors as it tends to screw my back up, therefore doing quite a bit on the treadmill with a bit of swimming, etc is a compromise.

Offline FrancisTierney

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #331 on: November 10, 2008, 01:56:08 pm »
Some running bargains to be had on here if anyone needs some gear:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/lukereddy1984

Keep at it despite the weather, it makes you stronger.

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: November 10, 2008, 02:34:40 pm »
I got a pair os Mizuno Wave Inspiration 4s. They're so much nicer to run in than Nike and Adidas!

Offline Voni

• One from the top please Carol
  • Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #333 on: November 10, 2008, 03:18:11 pm »
I've got saucony - my best buy ever!  Anyone doing the Santa Dash this year?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #334 on: November 10, 2008, 03:34:46 pm »
Nike Pegasus, always had them and always will.  Fit perfect. 

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: November 10, 2008, 04:21:42 pm »
I run in Brooks-Switch, which were the replacement version of Brooks Vapour 7. I'm not as happy with the new ones (about 200miles old now). I spotted an add in RW for Vapour 7 for £40 a few days ago; must be old stock. Think I'll order some.

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: November 10, 2008, 05:12:26 pm »
I've got saucony - my best buy ever!  Anyone doing the Santa Dash this year?

I am :wave

Offline Voni

• Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #337 on: November 10, 2008, 05:20:26 pm »
I am :wave

Excellent Elli - can't wait.  It's my first one!

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: November 12, 2008, 06:34:06 pm »
A question for the more experienced runers - I sprained my ankle ligaments a week ago playing footie, but the nature of my job means I haven't really had any time to rest it. I'm wearing an aircast most of the time, and will be doing for the next week or two, but how long will it be before I can start training again? It's strange how much I've realised I actually like running, even if it's just a 5k on the treadmill before a gym session!

It's still not right. OK most of the time and I don't notice it, but if I put any kind of pressure on the outside of it (eg sitting cross-legged) or roll it outwards it's pretty damn painful, and if I put any pressure at all on the outside of my ankle bone it isn't nice either!

Looks like it's a trip to the doc for me!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 06:38:06 pm by Col »
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: November 21, 2008, 09:27:34 pm »
Excellent Elli - can't wait.  It's my first one!

Had my race info through today, and went out for a run after work. Discovered a nice flat, well-lit route along the river. First time I'd needed my hat since about March though, and it's now snowing here ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 10:32:17 am by Elli »

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: November 21, 2008, 09:39:54 pm »
Nike Pegasus, always had them and always will.  Fit perfect. 

Ahhhh, did my first marathon (NY) in a pair of them. Good times.

Was lazing around yesterday and then moved and my knee made a hideous popping sound. It's ached for most of today. What a shite injury! Will go for a little jog at some point over the weekend and hope it's just, erm, growing pains!

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: November 26, 2008, 10:31:51 am »
19:00 for 5km :)   I'm hoping to break 18:00 for 5km and 30:00 for 8km

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #342 on: November 26, 2008, 12:01:45 pm »
It's still not right. OK most of the time and I don't notice it, but if I put any kind of pressure on the outside of it (eg sitting cross-legged) or roll it outwards it's pretty damn painful, and if I put any pressure at all on the outside of my ankle bone it isn't nice either!

Looks like it's a trip to the doc for me!

Don't go to the doctors, go and see a physio. 

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: November 28, 2008, 10:36:29 am »
I've found myself a fab route. 5 miles with a couple of mean hills (if anyone knows Newcastle, Byker Bank is one of them) but a nice long flat section in between, and built-in fartlek intervals (dashing to cross roads while other people have got the green man lit) ;D

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: December 15, 2008, 02:09:47 pm »
One week to go until I start my 18 week FLM schedule........Just bought my copy of Advanced Marathoning; just off for a quick read.

Anyone else entered this? :)

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: December 15, 2008, 02:44:57 pm »
One week to go until I start my 18 week FLM schedule........Just bought my copy of Advanced Marathoning; just off for a quick read.

Anyone else entered this? :)

Yup Im doing FLM 2009. Just a 16 week schedule for me - but I do 85 miles a week at the moment to tick over!

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: December 15, 2008, 03:07:53 pm »
 85; Sounds like a few of the younger club members I know.

I'm following the up to 55 mile schedule. I've been stuffed since around August with calf problems but the last couple of weeks everything appears well (touch wood). Gradually built back up to 25miles; the first week of my schedule looks like 33 miles so if I trim that back and keep the 2 quality sessions hopefully I'll get there.......never done a marathon before.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: December 15, 2008, 04:27:33 pm »
85; Sounds like a few of the younger club members I know.

I'm following the up to 55 mile schedule. I've been stuffed since around August with calf problems but the last couple of weeks everything appears well (touch wood). Gradually built back up to 25miles; the first week of my schedule looks like 33 miles so if I trim that back and keep the 2 quality sessions hopefully I'll get there.......never done a marathon before.

Good luck. Its a fantastic day.

Also if you are struggling with calf problems try some compression socks. I have used them and the day after a session my calfs feel very fresh and I do speed sessions up to 12k in volume. These are what I use but there are others on the market http://www.accesshealthproducts.com/product_details/D302A
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:31:26 pm by lfcdave »

Offline ZiggyPlayedGuitar

• Main Stander
  • Finally knows his arse from his elbow
« Reply #348 on: December 15, 2008, 05:00:10 pm »
Just out of interest, how easy was it for you guys to get a place for FLM 2009? I applied for the ballot, and as I thought didn't get a place, but tried at least 8 charities that I can remember, but a few didn't even bother letting me know.

Did you get in on first attempt?

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: December 15, 2008, 05:16:45 pm »
Running the walt disney world marathon in about 4 weeks now.  Have 2 more long runs to do - 19 miles and 20 miles.  We've been told not to run any further than that and the training winds right down 2 weeks before the marathon.  just wondering, does the adrenalin on the day take you through that additional 6 miles?  just interested to know how that will feel like.  cheers.

I dont train above 20/21 miles as it causes too much damage to the body. As long as you keep reasonably well hydrated and refuelled throughout the race the last six miles will be ok as long as you can keep focussed and grit your teeth - no point lying to you as it will hurt!! Just look into what energy drinks are provided and depending on the speed you are looking to run take on appropriate water as well but be careful with this as the most common illness/death after a marathon is actually over hydration rather than de hydration. Any more questions just ask.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: December 15, 2008, 05:20:16 pm »
Just out of interest, how easy was it for you guys to get a place for FLM 2009? I applied for the ballot, and as I thought didn't get a place, but tried at least 8 charities that I can remember, but a few didn't even bother letting me know.

When I started marathon running I did not get in on first attempt through the ballot - however i did get a charity place quite easily (Anthony Nolan Trust). I dont go through the ballot these days as I qualify through the championship system - but it appears the ballot system is more popular than ever. I think (remebering off the top of my head) that 20,000 places are in the ballot and 20,000 go to charities! What charities did you contact as not all get places as it costs them nearly a £1000 per place!!!??

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: December 15, 2008, 05:31:39 pm »

I got a rejection from the ballot but the club I only joined a few months ago let me have one of their club entries; I think most of their runners who want to run the FLM get in by the same route as lfcdave.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: December 15, 2008, 05:46:39 pm »
Thanks for the link there.............what's your target this year? I'm hoping to do it in 3hrs but with so much time spent just jogging since August I may have to revise this once I've got into my schedule.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: December 16, 2008, 09:35:44 am »
Thanks for the link there.............what's your target this year? I'm hoping to do it in 3hrs but with so much time spent just jogging since August I may have to revise this once I've got into my schedule.

Im hoping for a 2:25 this year but will see where im at in March.

Once you get into your training im sure you will get into shape. 3 hours is a good target - that was my my aim in 2006.

Offline Voni

• Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #354 on: December 18, 2008, 09:31:57 am »
Did the Santa Dash last week.  Had a great time.  Not use to running a Santa suit but loved every minute of it.

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: December 18, 2008, 02:14:12 pm »
Did the Santa Dash last week.  Had a great time.  Not use to running a Santa suit but loved every minute of it.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself doing that too - hilarious to see all the Santas randomly wandering through town before and after it ;D

Did it in a pretty good time, but ended up with a very sore knee - turned out to have fluid behind my kneecap so haven't run since, and probably won't be doing the 10K I was planning to run on Sunday.

Anyone else had this problem? Is it "Runner's Knee" or not? I think it was just from running quite fast after a long lazy period, definitely wasn't a twist or a sudden injury. Hurt quite a lot though!

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: December 18, 2008, 06:40:52 pm »
Im hoping for a 3:25 this year

Just corrected your typo for you ;)

A sub 2:30?! Good grief, I hope you nail it fella. How many miles per week will you need to run to have a tilt at it?

Offline Martyn.

• Nearly 20 and still a virgin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: December 18, 2008, 10:21:32 pm »
This bloody winter weather is so annoying.

I don't particularly like running down by the canal when it is dark, so I only have a limited time frame to go out running at the moment.

Can't wait for summer :)
Number 9

Offline masch

• potato
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #358 on: December 22, 2008, 04:51:33 pm »
Had one of those days today when something just clicked; took more than 30 secs from my 5k.

Now I've got to work out what I did differently! Argh!

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: December 22, 2008, 07:46:43 pm »
Got £130 worth of Vouchers for the local running shop for my birthday yesterday; first day it's open after Christmas I'm off to buy my Garmin 405........can't wait ;D