Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3475225 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #42120 on: March 17, 2016, 02:08:29 pm »
for sure, but like i alluded to earlier, its all subjective. dave likes the exorcist, i like the thing..
I didn't say I liked it...it still scares me. ;D

Like I said above, it's probably an age thing.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #42121 on: March 17, 2016, 04:34:09 pm »
best horror movie ever?

The Thing...?  Absolutely could be.
It'd have to at least be in the conversation.

The Exorcist
The Omen
The Shining

ETA:

The more I think about it... there really are a great many films that are excellent that could be in consideration.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 04:49:19 pm by johnsmithlfc »
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42122 on: March 17, 2016, 04:38:43 pm »
The Exorcist freaked me out when I first saw it. Still does in parts. The Thing, however, was the first horror film that gave me actual nightmares even though I didn't find it as scary as The Exorcist. There's just something disturbing about the creatures in The Thing that doesn't meld well with how you perceive the human body.

Jaws is a brilliant shout. It's often overlooked. In fact, many wouldn't even regard it as a horror, when the film is actually made to the same beats that makes a horror film work.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #42123 on: March 17, 2016, 05:01:24 pm »
There are sfx moments in The Thing which will forever hold their impact, will never really become dated. Not all of it (I personally don't like the alien's final appearance much), but the more subtle bits, certainly. Considering what is actually being depicted - a shapeshifting extraterrestrial organism of horrible contorting bio-plastic initiative & imagination - that's a remarkable feat. Most of the effects in the remake made nearly 30 years later are already more dated, and will look especially shit to future audiences.

When you factor that into the masterful atmosphere of tension, isolation and paranoia, and a few wonderful performances full of character and icy cool, you have to give it props. I don't consider it perfect, but it has plenty of perfect elements. And had you ever seen anything remotely like the most memorable events in it? I hadn't, and they defo stuck with me.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42124 on: March 17, 2016, 05:11:32 pm »
There are sfx moments in The Thing which will forever hold their impact, will never really become dated. Not all of it (I personally don't like the alien's final appearance much), but the more subtle bits, certainly. Considering what is actually being depicted - a shapeshifting extraterrestrial organism of horrible contorting bio-plastic initiative & imagination - that's a remarkable feat. Most of the effects in the remake made nearly 30 years later are already more dated, and will look especially shit to future audiences.

When you factor that into the masterful atmosphere of tension, isolation and paranoia, and a few wonderful performances full of character and icy cool, you have to give it props. I don't consider it perfect, but it has plenty of perfect elements. And had you ever seen anything remotely like the most memorable events in it? I hadn't, and they defo stuck with me.

Windows: "but what if we're wrong!?"
Childs (hissing) : "well then we're wrong!"

one of my favorite moments for some reason.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #42125 on: March 17, 2016, 05:11:47 pm »
Kung Fu Hustle was a recent unexpected gem. Crouching Tiger, Hero and Flying Daggers redefined a genre for me.

In short yes.

used to be a big kung fu buff, not so much anymore but Dao / The Blade is prob my fav movie ever. excellent, almost nihilistic, kung fu.

Not come across Dao/The Blade will look that up - Titi, those you mention are classics.

Have either of you dipped into the 70's old-school kung fu flicks? Seen any Shaw Brothers movies like the Five Venoms?
JFT97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42126 on: March 17, 2016, 11:58:28 pm »
Not come across Dao/The Blade will look that up - Titi, those you mention are classics.

Have either of you dipped into the 70's old-school kung fu flicks? Seen any Shaw Brothers movies like the Five Venoms?

yeah watched a bunch of random 70s kung fu, some are fun and even approximate being good but really, its just the kung fu which is anything worth writing home. ultimately, im not a fan of period pieces, and most kung fu films are period films. you could check out Once Upon a Time in China for a middle ground. same director as Dao / The Blade.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:47:24 am by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #42127 on: March 18, 2016, 07:02:00 am »
There is....it's called The Exorcist.

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #42128 on: March 18, 2016, 10:30:52 am »
Beyond Bruce, Chan and Norris I've not really delved into the older stuff. Shaw Brothers one of your faves?

Funnily I'd class The Matrix as a King Fu movie 8) :wave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42129 on: March 18, 2016, 11:49:02 am »
They Live and Halloween are both better films, for me, and are original material unlike The Thing.

actually, i'd rate In The Mouth of Madness as Carpenters second best horror film.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42130 on: March 18, 2016, 11:52:49 am »
Actually, I'd rate In The Mouth of Madness as Carpenters second best horror film.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42131 on: March 18, 2016, 11:57:28 am »

slashers have never interested me that much, so Halloween while being a game changer and an excellent film, doesnt do that much for me.
and like i said earlier, i wouldnt classify They Live as horror, its equal parts horror, comedy and action.

ITMOM touches on some of my favorite aspects of horror, what is real, alternate dimensions, dementia, but still retains Carpenters humor and camp style.
plus i love Sam Neill, one of my fav actors, and he delivers a great performance.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:59:39 am by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42132 on: March 18, 2016, 11:59:20 am »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42133 on: March 18, 2016, 12:00:20 pm »
I propose every post on this page now has to contain a Jack Burton meme!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42134 on: March 18, 2016, 12:08:04 pm »
I propose every post on this page now has to contain a Jack Burton meme!

guess i dont have to ask what your favorite Carpenter movie is.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #42135 on: March 18, 2016, 12:24:24 pm »
While you're all on the subject of horror films, Romero's Day Of The Dead is right up there for me. I know Joe Pilato hams it up something rotten as Rhodes, but the whole film is just so bleak and claustrophobic. And honestly, Howard Sherman is superb as Bub. The zombie effects stand up even now, only TWD can better them IMO. Great film.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42136 on: March 18, 2016, 03:21:55 pm »
I prefer Black Christmas to Halloween and I think They Live is an awesome, action, sci-fi, thriller conspiracy movie.
Not a great horror - JMO though.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42137 on: March 18, 2016, 03:25:52 pm »
Off to see 10 Cloverfield lane tonight. Seems to be getting positive reviews.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #42138 on: March 18, 2016, 05:32:28 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8UU_CC81aGM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8UU_CC81aGM</a>

Jeff Nichols' latest, after Mud and Take Shelter. It's getting good reviews, I believe. Saw one that likens it to a Stephen King version of E.T. - Good actors involved like Michael Shannon, Kirsten Dunst, Joel Edgerton and Sam Shepard. Really looking forward to it.
"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42139 on: March 19, 2016, 02:03:27 pm »
The 5th Wave 2016 HDRip XviD AC3-EVO

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #42140 on: March 19, 2016, 03:46:09 pm »
Loved 10 Cloverfield Lane. Brilliant.

The acting, music, premise, cinematography were all great. Ending might be sketchy to some but I loved it.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #42141 on: March 20, 2016, 12:24:56 am »
Watched The Book Thief tonight.

We'd seen the trailer a few years ago in the cinema when it came out and thought it looked rather good so we took a punt tonight when it turned up on Amazon Prime.

Not much to say other than it's a superb film, it lived up to our expectations,  semi-arthouse and intelligent, thoughtful and beautifully shot and acted.

...A map reading error....

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42142 on: March 20, 2016, 07:01:34 pm »
The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2 2015 1080p WEB-DL DD5 1 H264-QoQ

HD rips now available also :wave
Didn't enjoy it. Jennifer Lawrence aside. Poorly edited imo. Went down hill after the first one.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #42143 on: March 20, 2016, 10:49:34 pm »

In the seventies me and half of Moss Side would rock up at The Apollo in Ardwick for kung fu all nighters. Sound system dub battles then the daftest most wonderful kung fu you can imagine. Then toddle off home at five in the morning. In an era when telly went off and everything shut at eleven it really was quite groundbreaking. [emoji51]

Snake in Monkey's Shadow is the only one I remember - I've since seen it as Snake in Eagle's Shadow and who knew we were watching a young Jackie Chan.

Kung Fu Hustle is a great shout - a wonderful modernised take on the genre.

Entertaining for different reasons is Kung Fu vs Hitler (title?)

+1 to have a look at Dao.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #42144 on: March 20, 2016, 10:51:10 pm »
ps any decent copies of star wars vii or deadpool doing the rounds?

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42145 on: March 21, 2016, 03:22:25 am »
Just watched Zootopia. Fantastic animated film. Best one I have seen in a while since Inside Out. Hope to see it in next year's Oscars list. Nice mix of comedy, action and drama, with a decent moral message, and if you like a good detective story, it's worth watching too. You won't need kids to watch this either as I found most elements directed more towards adults.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42146 on: March 21, 2016, 12:36:03 pm »
watched 5th Wave. just bafflingly boring and disjointed. decent acting from the lead actress but there was nothing for her to interact with besides the romantic interest.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #42147 on: March 21, 2016, 02:22:05 pm »
Just watched Zootopia. Fantastic animated film. Best one I have seen in a while since Inside Out. Hope to see it in next year's Oscars list. Nice mix of comedy, action and drama, with a decent moral message, and if you like a good detective story, it's worth watching too. You won't need kids to watch this either as I found most elements directed more towards adults.
Agreed. Best Disney animated film since Mulan imo (not counting Pixar, Ghibli, other Disney owned non-Disney properties).

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42148 on: March 21, 2016, 08:01:18 pm »
Off to see 10 Cloverfield lane tonight. Seems to be getting positive reviews.

Saw it tonight.

Spoiler
I was expecting more to be honest. I don't go to the cinema often and watched misery last night in anticipation of this. It had it's moments but was certainly nothing spectacular and given the films title it was fairly straightforward with no real twists. Overall i'm actually abit miffed by it. 6/10 Wait for the DVD
[close]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:05:31 pm by Marty 85 »

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42149 on: March 22, 2016, 05:57:16 pm »
Saw it tonight.

Spoiler
I was expecting more to be honest. I don't go to the cinema often and watched misery last night in anticipation of this. It had it's moments but was certainly nothing spectacular and given the films title it was fairly straightforward with no real twists. Overall i'm actually abit miffed by it. 6/10 Wait for the DVD
[close]

Yeah saw this just now - cheap Tuesday at Vue  ;D
I liked it and for the most part it was a taught thriller and the acting and cinematography and sense of unease was very good but yeah, not a great film and certainly no need to see it at the cinema.
Definitely wait for download or DVD.

Ending seemed tacked on just to use the Cloverfield name.
I read nothing and knew nothing going in bar a teaser trailer so I didn't really know what to expect and went in with an open mind.
I enjoyed it I suppose and Goodman was menacing for sure, But it's pretty forgettable and I have no desire to watch it again.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42150 on: March 22, 2016, 07:11:25 pm »
Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens 2015 720p BluRay x264-Replica   

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #42151 on: March 22, 2016, 07:59:31 pm »
Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens 2015 720p BluRay x264-Replica   

yeah 1 seed, 7,000,000 leechers :P

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42152 on: March 22, 2016, 10:56:40 pm »
Oh lawd, three minutes ago I was in a shit mood, then I checked IPT and suddenly things are on the up!

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42153 on: March 23, 2016, 01:22:27 am »
Yep, BluRay rips of the force awakens are everywhere now.

Wonder if any of them are the extended that was apparently being released?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42154 on: March 23, 2016, 08:15:03 am »
This popped up yesterday morning.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6hW8hUcXR-A?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6hW8hUcXR-A?fs=1</a>

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42155 on: March 23, 2016, 08:17:25 am »
Yep, BluRay rips of the force awakens are everywhere now.

Wonder if any of them are the extended that was apparently being released?
How long was the film in the cinema/

This is the time of the film on the Blu-ray.... 2:18:06

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #42156 on: March 23, 2016, 09:40:24 am »
This popped up yesterday morning.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6hW8hUcXR-A?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6hW8hUcXR-A?fs=1</a>

At first glance I thought it was a Sloth behind her and thought .....That's not gonna be very scary!

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #42157 on: March 23, 2016, 10:48:36 am »
Star Wars is so shit that it is good.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #42158 on: March 23, 2016, 10:56:54 am »
Watched Breakdown last night it was shite.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #42159 on: March 23, 2016, 11:42:26 am »
Star Wars is so shit that it is good.

The level of plot convenience is really quite something. Doughnall "Second Unit" Gleeson's scenes are all pretty funny.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:02:19 pm by BER »