Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3470528 times)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
Re: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE
« Reply #64401 on: November 26, 2021, 01:20:38 pm »
I might change my mind by tea-time though.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64402 on: November 26, 2021, 01:24:53 pm »
I might change my mind by tea-time though.

I'm an ecologist, not a virologist, so I bow to your superior knowledge  ;)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #64403 on: November 26, 2021, 01:35:39 pm »
Bloody hell the "Worst Ever" variant label is very worrying. I hope they can contain it in South Africa

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/25/what-do-we-know-about-the-new-worst-ever-covid-variant

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64404 on: November 26, 2021, 01:36:15 pm »
It won't be stopping me traveling as and when I can.

Happily went to Italy earlier this month - I'm double jabbed, I wore my mask at all times in the airport (where I distanced) and on the plane, there are better COVID precautions over there, we stayed in our own apartment, etc. etc.

The risk was minimal, and probably less than me getting on a train down to London or going in a bar/pub/restaurant/shop over here given the vast majority don't wear masks or use hand sanitiser.

The risk isn't minimal,centres of travel are (shock fucking horror) where people from all corners of the world mingle and pass on the variants,not everybody is as "careful" as you.

Had we shut travel down from the off then we'd all be in a much better place now,instead the pricks in charge thought headline grabbing whilst keeping all borders open was the way to go.

It's also fucking weird how you all jump on KH no matter what she says in any thread,the same fuckers always pile on her.She doesn't give a fuck lads,so you're not going to hound off the forum no matter how hard you try.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64405 on: November 26, 2021, 01:40:03 pm »
After having my positive result, the missus and my parents who i live with had to get tested, missus come back positive parents both negative thankfully!

She's had no symptoms at all but then i told her she did have a dry cough about 12 days ago so maybe i've caught it from her?

5 day left of isolation for me!

My cousin and his youngest have both just tested +,both double jabbed and careful.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #64406 on: November 26, 2021, 01:40:11 pm »
It won't be stopping me traveling as and when I can.

Happily went to Italy earlier this month - I'm double jabbed, I wore my mask at all times in the airport (where I distanced) and on the plane, there are better COVID precautions over there, we stayed in our own apartment, etc. etc.

The risk was minimal, and probably less than me getting on a train down to London or going in a bar/pub/restaurant/shop over here given the vast majority don't wear masks or use hand sanitiser.
yes agree with that, currently sat in a departure lounge on the way to Bristol, mask wearing probably around 50%!
I have no issue with people going away but still don't get why people have an issue wearing a mask. OK it's not comfortable for an extended period of time but it helps to keep people safe.

Hopefully the regulations are followed more stringetly in Dublin
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64407 on: November 26, 2021, 01:42:39 pm »
they might have on the surface to seem like a 'strong' and 'decisive' government, but wouldn't be surprised if you can fly to the UK via a third or fourth country from South Africa without anyone batting an eyelid. i think that's where the vigilance needs to be.

also not hugely a fan of the optics of just 'closing borders'. testing is important. assuming this variant doesn't just die out it'll end up on these shores eventually (and more than likely already is here). we need to enhance our testing etc and be ready whilst aiding African countries.

Exactly,if you're banning flights from S.Africa then you should also be banning flights from all countries that still allow travel.

As it is they might as well lay on free flights for all S.Africans into Newcastle.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #64408 on: November 26, 2021, 01:44:24 pm »
Bloody hell the "Worst Ever" variant label is very worrying. I hope they can contain it in South Africa

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/25/what-do-we-know-about-the-new-worst-ever-covid-variant

Newspaper in shocking headline shock.  ;D

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64409 on: November 26, 2021, 01:52:38 pm »
The risk isn't minimal,centres of travel are (shock fucking horror) where people from all corners of the world mingle and pass on the variants,not everybody is as "careful" as you.

Had we shut travel down from the off then we'd all be in a much better place now,instead the pricks in charge thought headline grabbing whilst keeping all borders open was the way to go.

It's also fucking weird how you all jump on KH no matter what she says in any thread,the same fuckers always pile on her.She doesn't give a fuck lads,so you're not going to hound off the forum no matter how hard you try.

I think that’s a touch unfair. I personally disagreed with the idea that nobody should be allowed on holiday until the pandemic is declared over, it isn’t ‘jumping’ on anyone, it’s disagreeing with a point of view on a discussion forum.

If you think that we should close the borders and allow nobody in or out until we reach a point worldwide where Covid isn’t a threat then that’s your prerogative but I certainly don’t.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64410 on: November 26, 2021, 02:05:57 pm »
Agree with this, this is completely different to the emergence of alpha pre-vaccine and emergence of delta early in the vaccine roll out. It's hugely unlikely this new variant would be capable of bypassing immunity completely. It might get around it a bit with regards to infection but even then the important thing is that efficacy against severe disease holds up. It sounds grim with the mutations this one has, but the number of mutations is meaningless, it's what they actually do that counts.

It's still too early for any total panic with this one, the panic is based solely on it's emergence in an area that had very low recent levels of infection. That may still mean this variant has no or very little advantage with transmissibility. South Africa was due a spike in infections, this increase corresponds almost exactly to when their sudden spike began last year - the last week of November. Because of the low levels previous to this, a variant could quickly make up a large proportion of cases helped by a couple of perfectly timed super spreader events and look like it's outcompeting delta. That's where we are now - infections suddenly started to increase (like they did this week last year), they sequenced specifically those sequences from the area with highest increase in infections and found a new variant. Variant looks scary with lots of mutations. Questions now are is it really outcompeting delta or is it an artefact of surge sequencing a particular area, does it have a growth advantage, does it evade immune response? We can infer answers to these by the graphs of prevalence that have come out yesterday but it's not conclusive proof at all for any of these things. We'll just have to wait for more data over the next few days and weeks.

It's hugely encouraging this was found and publicised by the scientists in South Africa so quickly, surveillance is crucial going forward over the next few years. Travel bans like the UK have done are a political necessity for the ruling government (to cover their own arses if it's bad) while more information comes through which should come quickly. UK should also offer support though, you want to encourage countries to report these things quickly which they wont in the future if the only response is a travel ban. South Africa have done exactly what the world complained that China didn't in January 2020. Our response must be different or those complaints against China were just empty.
Thanks for that DJ. I’m currently stuck in jo’burg, having rushed back from the kalahari when the news broke so I could quarantine at home, only for the uk government cancel all flights till Sunday. Got far more risk of picking it up here than there. Your post felt like a sliver of reason in the chaos.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64411 on: November 26, 2021, 02:07:35 pm »
Apropos of nothing else, i've now been boostered!!

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #64412 on: November 26, 2021, 02:31:34 pm »
Apropos of nothing else, i've now been boostered!!

So have I  ;D
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #64413 on: November 26, 2021, 02:51:06 pm »
Four areas recording rises on Merseyside and once again mine is in there. It's entirely not surprising when considering how people are just not thinking for themselves. While I understand the frustration that people feel in regards of the government, why does it have to come down to just that? I mean wearing a mask on public transport shouldn't need any guidance from government or even the public travel organisations, it should be basic common sense and curtesy to your fellow citizens. But we continue to get huge parts of the country assuming everyone else needs to take action and not themselves. It completely frustrates me but at the same time leaves me entirely not surprised by how much selfishness continues to drive so many people's actions, on a daily basis.

I was on the 82 bus the other day. Single decker Stagecoach. All the windows were marked with a message  “these windows cannot be closed” - a few people on it, driver with a mask. All good - sat towards the back next to a window.
Then a middle aged woman gets on. Unmasked she started to come down the bus slamming the windows shut. Apart from my surprise that they actually closed, I was stunned by her sheer arrogance. The driver didn’t say a word, nor did a couple of people at the front. She got to the window I was sitting by and went to shut it. I put my fist in the gap so it wouldn’t close, and said as politely as I could that she wasn’t shutting it. She started to ague that it was cold. She must have realised I wasn’t going to move so she went to the back corner of the bus and moaned about me until I got off the bus at my stop.

The selfishness of some people is just wrong.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64414 on: November 26, 2021, 02:59:53 pm »
I was on the 82 bus the other day. Single decker Stagecoach. All the windows were marked with a message  “these windows cannot be closed” - a few people on it, driver with a mask. All good - sat towards the back next to a window.
Then a middle aged woman gets on. Unmasked she started to come down the bus slamming the windows shut. Apart from my surprise that they actually closed, I was stunned by her sheer arrogance. The driver didn’t say a word, nor did a couple of people at the front. She got to the window I was sitting by and went to shut it. I put my fist in the gap so it wouldn’t close, and said as politely as I could that she wasn’t shutting it. She started to ague that it was cold. She must have realised I wasn’t going to move so she went to the back corner of the bus and moaned about me until I got off the bus at my stop.

Dunno how Stagecoach get away with running that single decker on such a busy route in the first place. Was on it myself this morning heading into town.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #64415 on: November 26, 2021, 03:00:52 pm »
Covid is really getting to me now to be honest, feels like its a never ending cycle. Really hope the football isn't cancelled with this new variant
YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64416 on: November 26, 2021, 03:02:39 pm »
What is this new SA variant anyway?  I've had a few people freaking out to me now about how it evades vaccines. Surely once it's analysed it shouldn't be too much work to adapt vaccines to it, or am I being naive as to what's involved?

Popcorn's Art

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #64417 on: November 26, 2021, 03:11:36 pm »
What is this new SA variant anyway?  I've had a few people freaking out to me now about how it evades vaccines. Surely once it's analysed it shouldn't be too much work to adapt vaccines to it, or am I being naive as to what's involved?

The good news is that you would still get some protection from existing vaccines, that will be reduced but they would still be protective to some degree.

I think Pfizer have said it would be about 100 days to develop a vaccine for a new variant, and then I would think would need a few months for testing, so there would be a gap before anyone could start rolling out specific variant vaccines for B.1.1.529

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64418 on: November 26, 2021, 03:12:51 pm »

Unless I am mistaken, my basic knowledge of it is that its a new variant with a shit load of mutations, and that a shit load of mutations would help it avoid vaccines, but to what level we dont know yet and how infectious or dangerous it is, we dont know yet.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64419 on: November 26, 2021, 03:13:57 pm »
Belgium have confirmed one case of B.1.1.529.

On the upside it was a case with minor symptoms, the negative was that the patient flew in from Egypt rather than anywhere in southern Africa, and it was 11 days after arrival before they showed any symptoms.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64420 on: November 26, 2021, 03:14:47 pm »
The good news is that you would still get some protection from existing vaccines, that will be reduced but they would still be protective to some degree.

I think Pfizer have said it would be about 100 days to develop a vaccine for a new variant, and then I would think would need a few months for testing, so there would be a gap before anyone could start rolling out specific variant vaccines for B.1.1.529

Thanks.  Based on that assessment it would probably be mid to late spring before a largescale vaccine rollout was underway. Probably around May.

Unless I am mistaken, my basic knowledge of it is that its a new variant with a shit load of mutations, and that a shit load of mutations would help it avoid vaccines, but to what level we dont know yet and how infectious or dangerous it is, we dont know yet.

That is worrying. This thing seems hell bent on causing havoc, doesn't it? 12 months ago most were saying it had hit its evolutionary limit, but it just keeps surprising us. Will be a real nightmare if it becomes even more deadly.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:16:37 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64421 on: November 26, 2021, 03:15:39 pm »

On the upside it was a case with minor symptoms, the negative was that the patient flew in from Egypt rather than anywhere in southern Africa, and it was 11 days after arrival before they showed any symptoms.

On the plus side, we could have Mane and Salah for the January fixtures.

11 days is mad and that could be a problem for Belgium.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64422 on: November 26, 2021, 03:21:43 pm »

The main issue is surely to do with protection against death and serious illness.

I’ve read a lot about this variant and a lot of scaremongering headlines but nothing definitive to suggest it will actually evade immune response, hopefully it’s just a case of caution rather than reacting to some information which isn’t yet in the public domain.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64423 on: November 26, 2021, 03:24:10 pm »

They were also unvaccinated.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64424 on: November 26, 2021, 03:25:40 pm »
They were also unvaccinated.

Was about to ask this…

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64425 on: November 26, 2021, 03:27:14 pm »
The main issue is surely to do with protection against death and serious illness.

I’ve read a lot about this variant and a lot of scaremongering headlines but nothing definitive to suggest it will actually evade immune response, hopefully it’s just a case of caution rather than reacting to some information which isn’t yet in the public domain.

With some of the specific mutations it has, we will almost certainly see reduced vaccine effectiveness, we just don't know how badly the effectiveness will be reduced yet.

Thanks.  Based on that assessment it would probably be mid to late spring before a largescale vaccine rollout was underway. Probably around May.

That is worrying. This thing seems hell bent on causing havoc, doesn't it? 12 months ago most were saying it had hit its evolutionary limit, but it just keeps surprising us. Will be a real nightmare if it becomes even more deadly.

Actually the statement from BioNTech is below which you could maybe read somewhat more optimistically

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64426 on: November 26, 2021, 03:29:04 pm »
It would be seriously bad if this variant is capable of rampaging through unvaccinated populations.  Here's hoping it doesn't get loose to such an extent, but I'm probably pissing in the wind on that one. :(

Popcorn's Art

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64427 on: November 26, 2021, 03:32:05 pm »
It would be seriously bad if this variant is capable of rampaging through unvaccinated populations.  Here's hoping it doesn't get loose to such an extent, but I'm probably pissing in the wind on that one. :(

There is still a chance that transmission could be lower than feared and it turns into a bit of a non event, very limited data at present. Fingers crossed anyway

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64428 on: November 26, 2021, 03:39:13 pm »

Yea, lots of doomsday headlines without evidence to back it up. Lots of "could" and "might" involved.

Worth remembering that highly effective anti virals are also in the pipeline so a variant with some vaccine escape could be easily mitigated with them eventually.

I hate how the media go into full fear mode with this sort of thing. They're terrifying people unnecessarily.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64429 on: November 26, 2021, 03:46:05 pm »
Four cases in Israel, one had 3 Pfizer (booster 2 months ago), one had 2 AZ (second in mid July), one had 2 J&J (second 2 months ago) no word on the 4th so probably unvaccinated, no word on severity of symptoms there, they were identified by PCR tests on landing in Israel.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64430 on: November 26, 2021, 03:51:11 pm »
Yea, lots of doomsday headlines without evidence to back it up. Lots of "could" and "might" involved.

Worth remembering that highly effective anti virals are also in the pipeline so a variant with some vaccine escape could be easily mitigated with them eventually.

I hate how the media go into full fear mode with this sort of thing. They're terrifying people unnecessarily.

I briefly skim the Covid news online if there's something of interest, but, apart from that, it's been a media blackout from me for ages now!

Vaccines were always going to get us out of this and they work extremely well.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:54:26 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline flemingcool

• Anny Roader
« Reply #64431 on: November 26, 2021, 03:52:44 pm »
Is it possible that this new variant could be more transmissible and less dangerous?  And that this could actually be good news?  Any possibility!?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64432 on: November 26, 2021, 03:55:54 pm »
There is still a chance that transmission could be lower than feared and it turns into a bit of a non event, very limited data at present. Fingers crossed anyway

Here's hoping. There seems to be a lot of scaremongering going on.  Wish the media would rein it the fuck in until we know more.

Popcorn's Art

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64433 on: November 26, 2021, 03:56:19 pm »

Not only is she stupid she's a fucking imbecile.

Using the excuse that she's cold she closes all the windows on the bus starting from the front and working her way to the back of the bus until she gets to the one where you are sitting which you insist remains open . . . . . she then goes to the back of the bus sitting behind you and the open window.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #64434 on: November 26, 2021, 04:02:10 pm »

Just mind blowing at times how stupid some people are. Anyway I am back in work next week, dreading being on the trains with them getting fuller up to Christmas. But I suppose having had it, I will at least get the benefit for a while.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64435 on: November 26, 2021, 04:04:57 pm »
Man if this were a Brad Pitt zombie movie we would be on World War Z 6:...  (we've run out of cool titles,  sorry - the producers)

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64436 on: November 26, 2021, 04:05:12 pm »

Took a hit there too today. Full results from Merck's Molnupiravir trial had a drop in efficacy to 30% from 50% for prevention of hospitalisation and death. It still looked better for older populations maybe.

30% is still something though.

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64437 on: November 26, 2021, 04:07:00 pm »
Is it possible that this new variant could be more transmissible and less dangerous?  And that this could actually be good news?  Any possibility!?
It is possible, we have no or very little information on the status of those with positive tests for this variant.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64438 on: November 26, 2021, 04:19:34 pm »
WHO have designated B.1.1.259 a Variant Of Concern, I thought they usually went Variant Under Investigation first, but maybe that isn't always the case

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64439 on: November 26, 2021, 04:20:13 pm »

Have you any background in academic science, in particular virology or epidemiology? Posted this earlier from someone who is actually in a position to comment on shutting borders, and she's been against this pretty much from the beginning:

https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1464132156062535689

To those less familiar with virology, which is most of the population, shutting borders makes you 'feel safer'. In reality at this stage of the pandemic, it does nothing.

I guess we should shut travel even to lorry drivers crossing the channel from Europe, and just rely on what we produce in the UK to see us through to the end of this in...oh wait there's no end in sight and this could continue for the next decade? Surprised how little people have changed over the last 12 months, it's cringeworthy.