Author Topic: Three Body Problem (Netflix)  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Three Body Problem (Netflix)
« on: March 23, 2024, 10:25:05 pm »
Just started to watch this series yesterday

Dont know anything about the person/people that wrote the books.

But it's like a scientists fever dream and what you get from the series is down to your basic knowledge of science and conspiracy theories

I started off thinking it's about scientists discovering God and God getting funny about it telling scientists to stop their research or they would die and they have a countdown in their heads showing how long they've got to stop the research or die.

but then aliens are added into the mix and the "Wow" signal and throw in scientists from today trying to prove to people say from the Middle Ages that science is real and has the answers

Then throw in a scientist from the past calling a scientist from the future a troll for disagreeing with them and moving their research on

And then the question of how we will survive in the future when the Earth ends

And the book "Silent spring" that keeps being shown the first book about man killing wildlife with pesticides maybe the first green book

Its full of references from TV documentaries and shows like Horizon that I have watched about these things in the past

And I only 3 episodes in. but im loving it and I haven't even mentioned Turing and the human computer.

Maybe it's down to the cider Im drinking
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:51:23 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
Re: Three Bodies Problem (Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 09:01:50 am »
I just binged it, after a recommend from a friend

The sci-fi premise, while nothing new is for the most part done well and i liked that side of it and it had me wanting more (i don't think the writing is great but the premise carries it)

But, then we get into the tangle of the human stories they want to tell and in short i couldn't give a shit about them and didn't find any of them remotely interesting apart from the thread linked to to the culture revolution in china, which i did find compelling (it's like that part was written by a good writer and the rest, well... wasn't)

so up until a key moment (those who've seen will know what i mean, yes it was telegraphed but still good) i was onboard. From that point onward it was just a slow wind down until the season ended and left me feeling, meh, do i want to bother with season 2 if they make one?

Don't know, i'd probably give it a go but unless they pull me in quick i'd probably ditch it if it continues in the vein of the last 'half' of the first season

In short, for me it 'reads' like a good short story but when they fleshed it out all the superfluous stuff that wasn't the short story is poor
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 09:05:07 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 10:53:45 am »
They could've easily left out most of the "human interest" bits and made this about 4 episodes long and it would've been a better watch
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 01:37:43 pm »
No way I am watching it, it's made by those idiots who ruined GOT.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 08:45:54 pm »
No way I am watching it, it's made by those idiots who ruined GOT.

This time they actually have the entire story to work from. Plus there is a third creator involved. It’s also only a trilogy of books, so the show will probably only be 3 seasons.

I haven’t read the books, but from what I have read about them, each is vastly different. Even if you didn’t care for these characters, I’m not sure that will be an issue with season 2.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 09:23:28 pm »
This time they actually have the entire story to work from. Plus there is a third creator involved. It’s also only a trilogy of books, so the show will probably only be 3 seasons.

I haven’t read the books, but from what I have read about them, each is vastly different. Even if you didn’t care for these characters, I’m not sure that will be an issue with season 2.

Early reviews of it put me off it, when apparently the guys who ruined GOT took the source material, and changed every character to be something different than they were in the books

So yeah I don't have massive confidence in those guys

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 10:22:55 pm »
4 episodes in, and i prefer the Chinese version made by Tencent as it's much closer to the Books.

Netflix version has invented characters that's made a fellowship of Millennial Nerds.

The lead actress has apparently inspired my Other Half's next haircut. :D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline itihasas

• Kemlynite
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 02:29:57 am »
4 episodes in, and i prefer the Chinese version made by Tencent as it's much closer to the Books.

Netflix version has invented characters that's made a fellowship of Millennial Nerds.

The lead actress has apparently inspired my Other Half's next haircut. :D

I've heard this as well, that the 30 episode Chinese version is much more faithful to the books.
Let noble thoughts come to me from all directions - Rig Veda

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 10:20:00 pm »
Two episodes in an I'm liking it so far.

Also, has this show been funded by a cigarette company? Deplorable that the arts are making it fashionable again.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2024, 10:37:38 pm »
Four episodes in. Invested in it at this point, but still a bit baffled.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2024, 01:13:55 am »
Loved the first 5 or so episodes, but it seemed to taper off after that. Still enjoying it but my early thought that I'd binge the whole lot in one go tapered off to a " grab an episode later if I can".

Thought the ending was a bit of a damp squid too. Hardly a cliffhanger.

Cant wait for the next series though. Any ideas when its forecast for?
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 10:06:15 am »
Loved the first 5 or so episodes, but it seemed to taper off after that. Still enjoying it but my early thought that I'd binge the whole lot in one go tapered off to a " grab an episode later if I can".

Thought the ending was a bit of a damp squid too. Hardly a cliffhanger.

Cant wait for the next series though. Any ideas when its forecast for?

Considering how long they are taking on shows like these I'm guessing 2-3 years maybe? I vaguely remember watching Outer Range about 2 years ago and still no sign of season 2, same with Severance, that aired over 2 years ago and think they've only just started making season 2. TV shows today have  a lot more work involved but the gaps between seasons is getting wild.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 11:26:46 am »
Considering how long they are taking on shows like these I'm guessing 2-3 years maybe? I vaguely remember watching Outer Range about 2 years ago and still no sign of season 2, same with Severance, that aired over 2 years ago and think they've only just started making season 2. TV shows today have  a lot more work involved but the gaps between seasons is getting wild.

The writers strike is largely to blame for that no?

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 11:38:25 am »
The writers strike is largely to blame for that no?

Probably partial blame yeah, there seems to be a massive gap between seasons. The Handmaids Tale last season was in 2022 and the next one isn't till 2025/2026, 3-4 years is crazy for a show like that. Shows like Game Of Thrones etc is more understandable as the CGI takes a while but these kind of shows shouldn't take that long.

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 12:41:13 pm »
Waited four years for the second series of Ratched only to just find out its been cancelled.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 12:52:38 pm »
Probably partial blame yeah, there seems to be a massive gap between seasons. The Handmaids Tale last season was in 2022 and the next one isn't till 2025/2026, 3-4 years is crazy for a show like that. Shows like Game Of Thrones etc is more understandable as the CGI takes a while but these kind of shows shouldn't take that long.

It had a huge impact though. Even shows that were already shooting were delayed because they couldn't do the usual rewrites and fixes along the way. I think it had a big impact on scheduling too, as I'd imagine a lot of resources are shared across productions that normally occur one after the other.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2024, 01:06:00 pm »
It had a huge impact though. Even shows that were already shooting were delayed because they couldn't do the usual rewrites and fixes along the way. I think it had a big impact on scheduling too, as I'd imagine a lot of resources are shared across productions that normally occur one after the other.
Made doubly worse due to the actors being on strike. It must have been a nightmare trying to get everything scheduled for shooting.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2024, 12:44:47 am »
New season of Outer Range is out in May.

Finally finished this show, the Books are very complexed, this Netflix version is a dumbed down version with stuff added in it that's not even in the Book 1.

I'll definitely watch season 2 though.

I wonder what other of the GoT cast will be in season 2. ;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2024, 12:41:25 pm »
New season of Outer Range is out in May.

Finally finished this show, the Books are very complexed, this Netflix version is a dumbed down version with stuff added in it that's not even in the Book 1.

I'll definitely watch season 2 though.

I wonder what other of the GoT cast will be in season 2. ;D

Finally! May isn't too bad! Yeah my mate thinks he's some expert on it as he's read the books a few times, he did say there's stuff in season 1 that's from the 3rd book but not sure how accurate that is!

Well I didn't realise the oil man was the sparrow from game of thrones! I thought he looked familiar but didn't know from where! nearly kicked myself when I found out.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2024, 12:55:32 pm »
Finally! May isn't too bad! Yeah my mate thinks he's some expert on it as he's read the books a few times, he did say there's stuff in season 1 that's from the 3rd book but not sure how accurate that is!

Well I didn't realise the oil man was the sparrow from game of thrones! I thought he looked familiar but didn't know from where! nearly kicked myself when I found out.

Ha, I forgot Jonathan Pryce was in GoT, he’s been in that many things. Just recently he’s been in Slow Horses and The Crown.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 12:57:00 pm »
Mark Gatiss was in GoT as well as this show.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2024, 01:44:20 pm »
So that’s five cast members?

The actor that played Will was also in the Naomi Watts GoT prequel that was never shown, although it doesn’t look like D&D had anything to do with that.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2024, 01:54:29 pm »

The actor that played Will was also in the Naomi Watts GoT prequel that was never shown, although it doesn’t look like D&D had anything to do with that.
To be fair, almost every Brit with an Equity card appeared on GoT at some point.

Here was my two cents on the main tv board
So I binged 3 Body Problem over the weekend. I was really into it up until Episode 5, which was stunning I thought, and then it sort of tapered off for the last 3 eps. I wouldn't say it fell off a cliff, but it just wasn't as propulsive plot-wise, and focused more on the characters and the sick friend storyline which, meh.

I don't mind this adaptation bringing more international-based characters for the Netflix audience. Generally it kept the good, hard sci-fi bits and eliminated some weaknesses in the book (Da Shi is a fucking arsehole in the books: Benedict Wong brings more inherent Benedict Wong-iness, which can only be a good thing).  Overall it's a success and I'm looking forward to the 2nd season.

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024, 01:55:34 pm »

You counting Conleth Hill as well?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2024, 05:08:34 pm »
You counting Conleth Hill as well?

No, missed him entirely!

But Ray does make a fair point anyway.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2024, 05:50:46 pm »

The minor & walk in parts were littered with them as well.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
Re: Three Body Problem (Netflix)
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2024, 01:14:30 pm »
Spoiler
This 3 Body Problem has been quite enjoyable - one episode to go. But there does seem to be an enormous flaw in the plot, regarding the nuclear bombs.
[close]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 01:19:32 pm by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2024, 12:17:53 pm »
Just acquired the 30 part Chinese series, which goes under the name of Three-Body if anyone is interested. A bingeing I will go.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #28 on: April 1, 2024, 03:34:37 pm »
I really enjoyed the Show

Started to watch the chinese version last night.

Just watched a bit of a video about the "Einstein in Heaven" joke didn't realise how deep that was and it all about her telling him how to beat the Aliens without her saying it directly because they are listening to everything, but aliens do not understand jokes and it was after she had told him it that's when they started trying to kill him. So they must think she passed some info onto him even if they don't understand what it was

Turned the video off before he totally explained the joke
« Last Edit: April 1, 2024, 03:39:50 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 1, 2024, 04:31:06 pm »
The bit with the ship was spectacular. I was not expecting that.

Online Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 1, 2024, 11:59:07 pm »
What started off as quite interesting and bingeworthy actually ended up being a real struggle to finish in the end. Interesting ideas and concepts overall cancelled out by rubbish characters with storylines that I couldn't care less about. Shame it tailed off so badly after episode 5.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #31 on: April 2, 2024, 09:41:31 am »
What started off as quite interesting and bingeworthy actually ended up being a real struggle to finish in the end. Interesting ideas and concepts overall cancelled out by rubbish characters with storylines that I couldn't care less about. Shame it tailed off so badly after episode 5.

Not my experience, I loved all of it, thought it was excellent and am eager to see more.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 2, 2024, 09:48:30 am »
The books have been on my reading long list for a while so I know the basic premise. Didn’t know the tv show was being made until it popped up on my Netflix. Two episodes in and enjoying it.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 6, 2024, 09:44:54 am »
Overall, very watchable. I’ll watch the next season if commissioned. Benedict Wong is the undoubted highlight.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 6, 2024, 11:03:03 am »
Really enjoyed this. Dont know the books but really become enthralled in the show. Cant wait to see what happens next.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #35 on: April 6, 2024, 11:24:03 am »
Is it me just being weird coz I think the acting is this is terrible

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 6, 2024, 11:06:30 pm »

Some of it is a bit crap, but there are also some decent turns. Wong is effortlessly brilliant.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 7, 2024, 11:27:13 am »
Some of it is a bit crap, but there are also some decent turns. Wong is effortlessly brilliant.
A bit minimalist isn't he, not exactly into thigh slapping. ;D

I like his equivalent in the Chinese version too.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 7, 2024, 05:48:05 pm »
The Chinese version is up on Prime if anyones interested.

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 7, 2024, 07:42:02 pm »

I thought the acting in the second episode was rubbish. Especially where the Count appears. I watched about 2 minutes of that part then gave up. I won't be going back to it. It just doesn't blow my hair back.
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde