Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1241115 times)

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #15880 on: March 20, 2024, 02:41:28 pm »
Watched the 2017 drama "Fearless" on ITVx over the last few nights.  Stars the late great Helen McCrory as a rough and ready human rights lawyer.  Really good watch.

Man, what a loss to the acting world.  I think she would have gone on to be the next Helen Mirren or Judy Dench et al.  I honestly think she was destined to get some huge Hollywood leading roles.

Amazing talent aside, she was a beautiful woman too.  She pretty much had the lot  :(

Echo all that Pete. She was a wonderfully talented actor and an absolute force of nature. Sad loss indeed.

Anyone tried Manhunt on Apple? Its about the killing of Abraham Lincoln and the hunt for John Wilkes Booth. It sounds right up my alley but Im not a fan of the one a week release thing so have to wait a while.

Watched the first episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've read some criticism of the historical accuracy of it all but i found it very entertaining.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15881 on: March 20, 2024, 03:00:50 pm »
I have now watched all episodes of The Gentlemen.

I am not a big Guy Richie fan but I have to say that the series was very entertaining.

I enjoyed it.

Online Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15882 on: March 20, 2024, 04:51:36 pm »
Yes I remember that wasnt it released  at 1 episode a night for 30 days
Yes. I only watched the opening nights 4 episodes. It was good, definitely worth a watch. Which I will get around to.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15883 on: March 20, 2024, 05:24:07 pm »
Finally finished season 4 of For All Mankind.

Seemed to be a struggle watching this season, went days before I'd watch another episode, other seasons I'd blitz through them in a few days.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #15884 on: March 21, 2024, 08:14:05 am »
If you like a good documentary then I recommend the Netflix Cold War one. Much better than I thought it would be and not the usual 'documentary by numbers' you expect.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15885 on: March 21, 2024, 08:22:55 am »
That sounds promising, I'll definitely be checking that out.

CNN & BBC joint production did an astounding documentary on the Cold War, one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, 24 episodes, I remember watching it on BBC in the early 00's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_War_(TV_series)
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15886 on: March 21, 2024, 08:40:04 am »
Echo all the shouts for Shogun, it’s brilliant, and I’ve also noticed because it has subtitles it’s stopping me from constantly checking my phone.. a horrible habit I’m trying to reduce.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #15887 on: March 21, 2024, 12:01:35 pm »
I'm sure it's been mentioned on this thread before, but Love/Hate on ITX is really good, especially if you've got withdrawal symptoms and missing Kin.

Really weird to see a 15 years younger Aidan Gillen in it though, if you watch it following Kin it's like he's ageing backwards like some sort of Irish Benjamin Button.

Had it's own thread 12..(gulp)..twelve years ago....when you had to use a coat hanger as an aerial and tweak your vertical hold....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15888 on: March 21, 2024, 12:20:35 pm »
Looking forward to this starting on March 21st adapted by Benioff and Weiss

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SdvzhCL7vIA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SdvzhCL7vIA</a>
This was uploaded earlier today. The full season.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #15889 on: March 21, 2024, 01:08:09 pm »
If you like a good documentary then I recommend the Netflix Cold War one. Much better than I thought it would be and not the usual 'documentary by numbers' you expect.

I've just watched that.  Very interesting and I learned about quite a few things I didn't know about.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15890 on: March 21, 2024, 01:39:48 pm »

Is that Turning Point: The Bomb and the Cold War?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #15891 on: March 21, 2024, 02:36:21 pm »
Is that Turning Point: The Bomb and the Cold War?

Yes mate. As I say, decent documentary and not the usual crap they have on Netflix

Parts of it will terrify you though !
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15892 on: March 21, 2024, 03:42:05 pm »
Yes mate. As I say, decent documentary and not the usual crap they have on Netflix

Parts of it will terrify you though !

Good to hear that's atypical Netflix docu faire; too many of the identikit, algorithmic documentaries on that service...

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15893 on: March 21, 2024, 07:48:34 pm »
I plan on blaming everything on sake now.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15894 on: March 21, 2024, 07:55:57 pm »
I plan on blaming everything on sake now.

Episode 5 did a really good job at transferring some key scenes from Clavell's novel to the screen, although Blackthorne wasn't as belligerent in the confrontation with Buntaro outside after seeing Mariko in the novel.

Best episode yet for me...

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15895 on: March 21, 2024, 09:21:19 pm »
Episode 5 did a really good job at transferring some key scenes from Clavell's novel to the screen, although Blackthorne wasn't as belligerent in the confrontation with Buntaro outside after seeing Mariko in the novel.

Best episode yet for me...

I've downloaded the novel to read while on vacation next week. looking forward to the better details always contained in books.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15896 on: March 22, 2024, 12:51:25 am »
I've downloaded the novel to read while on vacation next week. looking forward to the better details always contained in books.

It's in my top five books of all time, superb historical fiction...

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15897 on: March 22, 2024, 08:31:41 am »
It's in my top five books of all time, superb historical fiction...

For anyone interested in the overall period in Japan i warmly recommend reading Yoshikawa's Musashi as well,it's brilliant.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #15898 on: March 22, 2024, 09:24:40 am »
Just started Shadow & Bone on Netflix.

Seems cool thus far, about 4 episodes in, but isn't this just Avatar: The Last Airbender with Russian names????

Online Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15899 on: March 22, 2024, 01:17:54 pm »
I watched the first 4 episodes of 3 Body Problem last night, it's good, very good.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #15900 on: March 22, 2024, 01:20:15 pm »
I watched the first 4 episodes of 3 Body Problem last night, it's good, very good.

Looking forward to this over the weekend. Has there been any sex scenes yet?

Online Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15901 on: March 22, 2024, 05:24:26 pm »
Looking forward to this over the weekend. Has there been any sex scenes yet?
There's not much in the way of menage a trois, if that's what you're hoping for. ;D

It's made me want to watch the Chinese adaptation as that has 30 episodes. It must be better than folding three books into 8 episodes as Netflix have done.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #15902 on: March 22, 2024, 06:20:52 pm »

It's made me want to watch the Chinese adaptation as that has 30 episodes. It must be better than folding three books into 8 episodes as Netflix have done.
B&W are talking about 4 seasons of the show, so I would have assumed it's roughly one book per season?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15903 on: March 22, 2024, 06:40:49 pm »
Chinese version was brilliantly done, will be watching first couple of Episodes tonight but don't hold much hope, Chinese one was a perfect adaption.

We were spoilt getting 30 episodes a year before the Netflix version came out.

Online Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15904 on: March 22, 2024, 07:02:26 pm »
B&W are talking about 4 seasons of the show, so I would have assumed it's roughly one book per season?
Not according to this site.

https://www.polygon.com/24093811/the-three-body-problem-explained-netflix

Oh, there are more books. The Three-Body Problem is the first in a trilogy, known as Remembrance of Earth’s Past. Netflix’s 3 Body Problem is actually an adaptation of the entire trilogy, folding in the novel’s two sequels — The Dark Forest and Death’s End — into its narrative. The first season of the show will cover The Three-Body Problem but will also introduce threads from later books. It’s a comprehensive adaptation, not a piecemeal one.

Online Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15905 on: March 22, 2024, 07:04:12 pm »
Chinese version was brilliantly done, will be watching first couple of Episodes tonight but don't hold much hope, Chinese one was a perfect adaption.

We were spoilt getting 30 episodes a year before the Netflix version came out.
That's good to know. I've had the Tencent adaptation since the beginning of last year, I'll start on it as soon as I have done the Netflix version.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15906 on: March 22, 2024, 08:19:59 pm »
Anyone watching this?

Tokyo Vice is an American crime drama television series created by J. T. Rogers and based on the 2009 book of the same title by Jake Adelstein. It premiered on April 7, 2022, on HBO Max. It stars Ansel Elgort and Ken Watanabe in lead roles. In June 2022, the series was renewed for a second season, which premiered on February 8, 2024.

In 1999, American journalist Jake Adelstein has relocated to Tokyo and must pass a written exam in Japanese to have the chance to join the staff of a major Japanese newspaper. He succeeds in becoming their first foreign-born journalist and starts at the very bottom. Taken under the wing of a veteran detective in the vice squad, he starts to explore the dark and dangerous world of the Japanese yakuza whilst living under the city's official line that "murder does not happen in Tokyo".

Second series currently ongoing right now. Very reminisicant of the Yakuza video games if anyone's played them.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #15907 on: March 22, 2024, 08:38:47 pm »
I thought the first episode of 3 body problemwas a bit rubbish, felt rushed and bad acting, hopefully picks up, whats the Chinese version called? (for sites)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #15908 on: March 22, 2024, 08:48:25 pm »
I was wondering if this was any good. If it’s thread worthy, I’m assuming you think so.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #15909 on: March 22, 2024, 09:18:29 pm »
Shogun still going strong. Think the Olly Reed/Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson Anjin is really poorly cast, but the rest more than makes up for it. I can’t remember him being so bumbling and generally blustery in the book but read yonks ago.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15910 on: March 22, 2024, 09:26:08 pm »
I thought the first episode of 3 body problemwas a bit rubbish, felt rushed and bad acting, hopefully picks up, whats the Chinese version called? (for sites)

Three-Body
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15911 on: March 22, 2024, 09:35:12 pm »
Shogun still going strong. Think the Olly Reed/Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson Anjin is really poorly cast, but the rest more than makes up for it. I can’t remember him being so bumbling and generally blustery in the book but read yonks ago.

Precisely.

He was much more calculating and reflective, and aware of the struggles to integrate into Japanese culture, which was one of the book's themes.

The show has him either bumbling or brash, neither of which applied to the book character...

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #15912 on: March 22, 2024, 09:42:54 pm »
Not according to this site.

https://www.polygon.com/24093811/the-three-body-problem-explained-netflix

Oh, there are more books. The Three-Body Problem is the first in a trilogy, known as Remembrance of Earth’s Past. Netflix’s 3 Body Problem is actually an adaptation of the entire trilogy, folding in the novel’s two sequels — The Dark Forest and Death’s End — into its narrative. The first season of the show will cover The Three-Body Problem but will also introduce threads from later books. It’s a comprehensive adaptation, not a piecemeal one.
So its not covering all 3 books in the 8 episodes, unlike you said.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15914 on: March 22, 2024, 10:27:14 pm »
Episode 1.

https://youtu.be/4w47F8g8EgM?si=vhsbG0atU1RdybQ0

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #15915 on: March 23, 2024, 06:12:53 am »
I really enjoyed the 1st  episode of 3 body problem, It would be interesting to see how they handled it in the chinese version I'm sure it's got a very different tune to it.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #15916 on: March 23, 2024, 11:28:58 am »
There's not much in the way of menage a trois, if that's what you're hoping for. ;D

;D

My 14 daughter wanted us to watch it together over the weekend and I know sometimes these kind of shows can be quite explicit with sex scenes so wanted to make sure before I put it on  ;D

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15917 on: March 23, 2024, 02:25:43 pm »
I really enjoyed the 1st  episode of 3 body problem, It would be interesting to see how they handled it in the chinese version I'm sure it's got a very different tune to it.
Like the books it uses a lot of science jargon, some are filler episodes though, but the flashback episodes back at the science station in the 60's are fantastic especially after episode 20 beyond.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15918 on: March 23, 2024, 03:15:41 pm »
;D

My 14 daughter wanted us to watch it together over the weekend and I know sometimes these kind of shows can be quite explicit with sex scenes so wanted to make sure before I put it on  ;D

Bit of nudity but no real sex that I can remember, some nice and violent murders though.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15919 on: March 23, 2024, 03:17:22 pm »

Depends if better offers come in.