Author Topic: We're on the march with Rafa's army ...  (Read 5109 times)

Offline [delete]

• Grafton Irregular
  • Legacy Fan
We're on the march with Rafa's army ...
« on: January 11, 2005, 07:20:02 pm »
Well it's fair to say 2004 won't go down as a good year for us - the horrors at Portsmouth, Marseilles, Everton and Monaco only partly compensated for by glimpses of what is to come for us.  The year started with a manager that was testing the patience of even the most ardent French Kopite, yet ended with a new boss with the undoubted support of all Reds.

When Houllier was sacked in the summer the candidates that have been buying houses in Southport for years were banded about in the papers, from O'Neil and Curbishley  to Mourinho and Toshack.  When the board decided on the manager who has won two Spanish championships and the UEFA Cup in recent times, it was overshadowed in the national news by the appointment of another manager south of the Watford Gap.  As we have now become accustomed to with Benitez, his arrival wasn't full of promises and big headed statements, setting out his views for the future and giving little away.

When you talk to most Reds about Benitez there is always genuine fondness in the reply.  Every game sees his name chanted, usually loudest and longest.  But what exactly has the Spaniard done to give him such backing?  Out of the four signings he's made who have made their first team bow, it could be argued that three haven't exactly shown great form, with Alonso the only undoubted success story.  He's lost to Everton and Man United, and at times we've had some pretty dismal outings.  But what's made Benitez stand out to everyone as the man who's got it in him to do what Mssrs Souness, Evans and Houllier have failed to do and bring the Prem to Anfield?

After the last few years of Houllier's reign, we'd become accustomed to post-match and pre-match interviews that we're enough to make an entire Happy Al's coach wince [and that's even before the bizzies have taken everyone's ale].  Remember the appearance of Houllier on the telly at any Anfield pub?  Usually greeted with hush and as soon as you heard the first excuse brought out choruses of boos and spilt ale followed.  So it's great when we now have the contrast with Benitez;  the boos that greeted Houllier are now replaced by smiles all round.  He doesn't come out and moan, and when he does it's a genuine moan. 

I remember Benitez dropping Harry Kewell after he was playing diabolically and not 100%.  We played Olympiakos away and Stevie Warnock was given the nod, something you would never dream of with Houllier at the helm.  Remember the Heskey persistence?  Biscan at centre half?  This showed to me that Benitez will pick the player's he thinks will do a job - look at Josemi, his first buy, yet when Finnan was in better form he had to make do with a place on the bench.  Benitez could have stuck with the defender in the hope he will come good and this will in turn make Benitez look good, yet it was the team first.

Look at the Echo yesterday with David Raven talking of his hopes for the future.  These player's who reserve and academy regulars have been crying out for for years will be given the chance to prove their good enough, rather than expensive squad players being given the chance ahead of them.  Look at the lads at Spurs away the other week;  they beat a tough side away from home and even if some of them don't make the grade here it will have done them an awful lot of good, something Benitez should be applauded for.

But haven't we been here before?  Singing a manager's name from the stands, raving over our boss?  Benitez has a hard job to get everyone totally on his side because there's always the chance that one day he could be a hero and the next he could be disliked so much many can't bring themselves to go the game.  Whilst other managers seem to want to shout about their work everyday in the press, Rafa gives very little away and is always quick to heap praise on the player's, directing the praise from himself. 

Another thing that has assured us that Benitez can make the grade on Merseyside is the constant praise of him from the continent.  Morientes, Pellegrino, Aimar, Garcia, Alonso all couldn't hide their desire to work with Benitez, some of whom hadn't even played with him before [oo-err].  Other than the Valencia board, I'm yet to hear a bad word about Benitez, even from the fans he left behind at the Mestalla cursing their luck now some people's choice for the manager's job Ranieri is now in charge.

Only time will tell whether Benitez will do the job, and in a year's time we'll really know just how good the Spaniard has been for us.  But for now it's enjoyable to have everyone behind the manager;  and I'm sure a certain Mr Morientes or Anelka will help Rafa do what he did in Spain and bring the title.

© Gary Ablett 2005
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 01:30:55 am by Ben S »

Offline BlueEyes

• Main Stander
  • I love Ayumi :)
Re: We're on the march with Rafa's army ...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 07:31:10 pm »
 :thumbup I am fully behind Benitez. Our play has improved enormously. I would not have in my wildest dream dreamt that we would play so much better as compared to what we were playing last season.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 07:35:31 pm »
Enjoyed that read didn't add a great deal to other similar posts but still an enjoyable read.

Offline Props

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 07:50:42 pm »
Great post mate!!! Couldnt agree more.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 08:02:57 pm »
excellent post 'gazza'..  ;)

Offline reddez

• Main Stander
  • anfield marvels
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 08:05:28 pm »
yeah its great to see the reds playing for a win instead of saying we got a goal lets hope thats enough.

well done rafa.

reddez  ;D
yesterdays heroes
todays legends
5 time winners
KINGS OF EUROPE
RAFFA REVELUTION

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 08:48:47 pm »
good read, think you're spot on with peoples views on rafa
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline PhilB

• or not PhilB? That is the question...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 11:34:40 pm »
Good post mate spot on. When i seen the title i thought you were going to post a song i heard a Norwich. It went to the tune of Amirillo and was something like this

We're on the march with Rafa's army
Stick with him and he'll send us barmy
We're on the road with Barnesy's army
And we'll rob the services

Thought it was quite funny myself

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 11:38:11 pm »
Good post, but think there's even more to be said for him. For instance it was noticeable that his first move was to radically overhaul the training system, followed soon after by the scouting structure.
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 11:39:11 pm »
Rafa has come in and got on with his work. No headlines, no boasting, and this will go down in his favour. Mourinho HAS to win the league with his comments, Rafa can coast into 4th, job done, and lets build on it next yet  :wave

Offline Pooch

• Not a fan of Michael Winner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont keep calling me Shirley!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 11:40:05 pm »
:thumbup I am fully behind Benitez. Our play has improved enormously. I would not have in my wildest dream dreamt that we would play so much better as compared to what we were playing last season.

People should think of this when having a snipe at Luis Garcia. Dont wanna detract from this thread I think your spot on. We are playing much better football and players like Garcia are what we craved last year. Thought it was relevant.

:wave

Every single beat is red !

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 11:42:32 pm »
No one can deny that we are a much more entertaining, attacking team than before, and crucially we are giving young British talent a chance.

Personally, I am delighted with everything Rafa has done so far    ;D

Offline notyouraverage

• Kopite
  • and the winner is..........me
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 11:42:41 pm »
hes just an amazing manager all round as soon as he has got here his influence on everything has been immense

Offline Sir Bill, Sir Bob, Sir Joe

• Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 11:53:57 am »
Good post.  I think the summer will be the key for rafa, and who he manages to bring in, and who goes.  One thing that has come across is that Rafa is a very clever man and meticulous in everything he does.

I also look forward to post match interviews now, when last year I would just cringe at what was being said.  You can’t bullshit supporters, well not true fans anyway.

One day we may even see Rafa get angry.
Desire to win comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 12:08:08 pm »
Good post Gary, I enjoyed that very much.

And I entirely agree with Justice96 about the post-match interviews.  The feelings of dread when you opened the paper or rushing to turn off the telly are hopefully long gone.  Rafa is calm, considered and steady.  As Walshy says, no headlines, no boasting, just quietly getting on with the job and building.  Suits me fine.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2005, 01:42:22 pm »
good read that....think it sums things up quite nicely so far :thumbup

Offline Red Hell

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 09:44:45 am »
Nice one!!!  :wellin  :wellin  :wellin
"The whole of my life, what they wanted was honesty.

They were not so concerned with cultured football, but triers who gave 100%."

Bob Paisley on the Kop

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 03:45:47 pm »
And I entirely agree with Justice96 about the post-match interviews.  The feelings of dread when you opened the paper or rushing to turn off the telly are hopefully long gone.  Rafa is calm, considered and steady. 

It's pretty easy to be like that when you're under little pressure (well, not the kind Houllier was under). I remember Ged being fine in press conferences too until his final few years.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2005, 03:02:31 pm »
Spot on Pier.., I mean Ablett.

Offline Morientes_19

• Main Stander
  • Come on you REDS!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 02:00:05 pm »
We're gunna win the champs league!!! Keep playing like we did on tuesday boys!

Offline gaz17

• Main Stander
  • Red all over the Land
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 05:41:40 pm »
Rafa is the man. he is leading us in the right direction, we are much more positive and attacking.