Author Topic: Deadwood  (Read 31012 times)

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Deadwood
« on: July 24, 2005, 03:27:20 pm »
Anyone a fan of this? Think its brill meself like.

But a quick question. Who does the music for the new series on the trailers. May as well use me BB for something useful.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
Re: Deadwood
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:29:33 pm »
Bump.

Never got round to seeing this but the boxset is dead cheap on Amazon and I've got a payrise to waste. Any fans in?

Offline GlentoranMark

• Gin thief.... watch it or it’s gone and the real 'Nasty Pastie' to boot.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 09:00:42 pm »
If blert likes it, means its probably shit!
S*******s Is A 'Nasty Pastie'

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:11:13 am »
It's good stuff.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 02:51:40 pm »
Always meant to watch it. I like the idea of a Western TV show. Something different!! Not enough Western's being made these day's..

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 03:03:27 pm »
I thought this was going to relate to the Summer Transfer Forum! Isn't Ian McShane meant to be really good in this? Haven't seen it myself but love a good Western so may invest in the boxset as well

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Will there ever be a Rainbow ?
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 03:06:57 pm »
Come on RAWK lets ave it and you can bring your fuckin dinner as well.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ <-- Read this JFT96

MICHAEL SHIELDS YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 18 LT , 5 EC, 7 FAC, 8 LC, 3 UEFA,
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 04:46:57 pm »
Ive watched the first 2 seasons very good , Ian McShane is excellent as the Saloon owner . Come along way since Lovejoy .
Spent sometimes in stormy weather                               

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 07:21:05 pm »
Bump.

Never got round to seeing this but the boxset is dead cheap on Amazon and I've got a payrise to waste. Any fans in?

however did that happen?   ;)
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 08:40:21 am »
however did that happen?   ;)

Mistaken identity, presumably.  ;)

Right, just had S1 and 2 boxsets delivered by Happy McSmiley, our postie. Smart.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #10 on: June 4, 2007, 09:53:41 am »
Half-way through S1 now. Took a while to get accustomed but really into this now. Another HBO cracker and Ian McShane  on top form in the role of a lifetime. Recommended.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 03:35:54 pm »
I can't get over that it's fucking Lovejoy, but by god, when he goes into a monologue while getting blown it's a sight to see.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 03:38:25 am »
Excellent show, how has this stayed under my radar for so long? Got another season and bit to go yet as well and is hitting the spot as I've not got much left to watch with most shows over now.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 11:56:30 am »
Excellent show, how has this stayed under my everyone's radar for so long?
Excellent show and criminally underrated over here.Some should be ashamed of themselves they haven't watched it yet :P ;D
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 11:59:33 am »
Entirely silly. Nothing like the world that it's set in. Hopeless on so many levels.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 07:07:34 pm »
Entirely silly. Nothing like the world that it's set in. Hopeless on so many levels.

Thought it was brilliant myself,dont think it set out to be historically accurate.

Al swearengen(ian mcshane) is still one of the best characters iv ever seen in any series,brilliant show.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 07:14:55 pm »
Thought it was brilliant myself,dont think it set out to be historically accurate.

Al swearengen(ian mcshane) is still one of the best characters iv ever seen in any series,brilliant show.

Andy is fishing.

Again.

He is however an expert on 1870s frontier towns.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 07:23:32 pm »
Better than just about anything else ever made for TV. And it doesn't even have an ending.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 08:41:04 pm »
Better than just about anything else ever made for TV. And it doesn't even have an ending.

Thinking about it you could have been in it with a name like that.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 11:47:40 am »
Thinking about it you could have been in it with a name like that.

;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 11:54:41 am »

I agree Bob Lob - for me it's at the same level in its own unique way as Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Wire and Curbs.

I honestly cannot recall a more compelling acting performance in anything I've ever seen than the episode where Al - to quote Robert johnson - had stones in his passway. Unbelievably excruciating yet hilarious at the same time - or maybe i'm just a sicko.

;D

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 11:58:31 am »
I don't give a flying fudge how historically accurate it is, nor how silly it can get, it's just very, very entertaining.  Full of superb set-pieces, brilliant acting and fantastic dialogue.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 12:10:05 pm »
Who the fuck cares if it's historically accurate anyway?If that was the criteria,oh dear....

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 01:01:54 pm »
One of the greats. Was a travesty it never got its fourth and final season. Plus it invented blowjob monologues, which were always good fun.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 01:39:36 pm »
one of the top 5 shows. just a shame it got canceled before they could end it properly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rGU2xwSsFs

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 06:06:50 pm »
Lovejoy is a fucking revelation....

"Stay the fuck away from him, I want mine served cold!"

Can't believe I'd never scene this before, only 10 episodes left and I already know I'd be sad when it's over!

Some of the putdowns are fucking fantastic too! Been waiting to use this one in reply to some smart arse but everyone's been too nice the past couple of days....

"And wash your mouth out, you've got seven shades of cock breath!"

Brilliant ;D

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 09:41:15 am »

"And wash your mouth out, you've got seven shades of cock breath!"

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Fuckin' hell.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 09:46:08 am »
Watched 9 episodes after work yesterday.....only 2 left :'(

Considering some of the turgid crap that gets churned out these days (True Blood got 8 seasons ffs) I can't believe it got shit-canned in full flow....

I notice the Earp's have just rocked up, surely you don't do that if you're about to shit-can something?

So what happened that meant HBO cut this sort of quality? They run out of whiskey or summit?

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 10:04:00 am »
Watched 9 episodes after work yesterday.....only 2 left :'(

Considering some of the turgid crap that gets churned out these days (True Blood got 8 seasons ffs) I can't believe it got shit-canned in full flow....

I notice the Earp's have just rocked up, surely you don't do that if you're about to shit-can something?

So what happened that meant HBO cut this sort of quality? They run out of whiskey or summit?
HBO gave a truncated fourth season, which would of been the last, the greenlight, six episodes apparently.  Milch rejected the offer due to bad experiences with short order renewals, well, that's his story. A lot of people feel he just lost interest and wanted to concentrate on his new show, John From Cincinnati.

The reason for HBO cutting Deadwood short was a financial one, it was notoriously expensive, they basically built the town of Deadwood from scratch.  In 2007 Milch and HBO agreed to make a two hour film, this fell by the wayside, the sets have now been demolished.  Deadwood is dead.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:17 am »
HBO gave a truncated fourth season, which would of been the last, the greenlight, six episodes apparently.  Milch rejected the offer due to bad experiences with short order renewals, well, that's his story. A lot of people feel he just lost interest and wanted to concentrate on his new show, John From Cincinnati.

The reason for HBO cutting Deadwood short was a financial one, it was notoriously expensive, they basically built the town of Deadwood from scratch.  In 2007 Milch and HBO agreed to make a two hour film, this fell by the wayside, the sets have now been demolished.  Deadwood is dead.
Thought it would be the dollars!

Before the bell tolls that cocksucker Hearst better get what's coming to him!

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 10:14:38 am »

Similar story with Rome, no? Just came down to the budget. I wonder if either would get longer runs nowadays, how do they compare financially to something like Game of Thrones?
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 10:18:37 am »
Similar story with Rome, no? Just came down to the budget. I wonder if either would get longer runs nowadays, how do they compare financially to something like Game of Thrones?
$5 million per episode for Deadwood

$6 million per episode for Game of Thrones

....or so google tells me ::)

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 10:25:28 am »
Rome was jointly produced with the BBC who couldn't afford to extend the initial two year deal, meaning HBO would have to foot the entire bill, again, the show was ridiculously expensive.

I'd imagine Game Of Thrones is even more expensive, but it also probably brought it more subscribers and is syndicated much more.

Offline Card Cheat

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 01:36:22 pm »
There's an episode from season 2...
Spoiler
which ended IIRC with Joanie Stubbs sat in a rocking chair waiting for Walcott to come and kill her
[close]
...which had one of the best uses of a closing credit song I've ever seen.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hhhQ7G3uFAk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hhhQ7G3uFAk</a>

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 01:49:58 pm »
There's an episode from season 2...
Spoiler
which ended IIRC with Joanie Stubbs sat in a rocking chair waiting for Walcott to come and kill her
[close]
...which had one of the best uses of a closing credit song I've ever seen.
Can't see the tube in work but that's something I've noticed, the song choice for the closing credits have been superb.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 02:05:10 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/elzhb_LewJA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/elzhb_LewJA</a>

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 03:10:52 pm »
Saw this thread and watched it from last night. Up to episode 6. This show is brill. Jane in particular is excellent.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 04:01:24 pm »
Saw this thread and watched it from last night. Up to episode 6. This show is brill. Jane in particular is excellent.
Have you hit the episode yet where at the start she's asleep on a horse?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2014, 04:41:57 pm »
Have you hit the episode yet where at the start she's asleep on a horse?

Don't think so? Just up to where they treating people for small pox.

As an aside I'm surprised this thread has had so little discussion? Does it get better/worse as the seasons continue?

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2014, 04:49:00 pm »
Don't think so? Just up to where they treating people for small pox.

As an aside I'm surprised this thread has had so little discussion? Does it get better/worse as the seasons continue?
At times it's as good as The Wire and better than everything else..answer your question. :)

The dialogue is this is better than any show I've ever watched...and the ending is actually perfect.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"