Author Topic: Anthony Bourdain: Celebrity chef found dead at 61  (Read 5140 times)

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
Anthony Bourdain: Celebrity chef found dead at 61
« on: June 8, 2018, 12:50:34 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44414747

US celebrity chef and television personality Anthony Bourdain has been found dead in his hotel room, aged 61, of a suspected suicide, CNN reports.

Bourdain was in Strasbourg, France, working on a shoot for his series, Parts Unknown, on CNN.

"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the cable network said in a statement on Friday.

Bourdain was a best-selling food, fiction and nonfiction author.

CNN's statement continued: "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller.

"His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: Anthony Bourdain: Celebrity chef found dead at 61
« Reply #1 on: June 8, 2018, 01:08:15 pm »
Massive shock.

He did have demons at a younger age.

An incredible foodie,writer and traveller.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #2 on: June 8, 2018, 01:21:39 pm »
I can't stand reality tv usually, but I do watch some of the food shows, and he was the star of the lot really. The Layover, his most recent show on the Food channel was a great way to get the low down on the fun eating and drinking in a city. What a pity that anything at all could get to him that much.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: June 8, 2018, 01:30:39 pm »
Gutted about this.

One of my fav tv personalities.

Loved his tv shows No Reservations,The Layover and Parts Unknown.

I'd watch anything with him in it,just a brilliant witty cool AF person.

Never got round to reading his book about life in the kitchen being a chef,practically every chef in fine dining in the world has read or has a copy of it,might have to purchase it.

RIP.:(
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 8, 2018, 01:41:31 pm »
Always look at his shows for places when book anywhere. Just ate in places in Rome because of him. His Dublin show was gas.  Awful sad news.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: June 8, 2018, 01:42:49 pm »
Gutted about this.

One of my fav tv personalities.

Loved his tv shows No Reservations,The Layover and Parts Unknown.

I'd watch anything with him in it,just a brilliant witty cool AF person.

Never got round to reading his book about life in the kitchen being a chef,practically every chef in fine dining in the world has read or has a copy of it,might have to purchase it.

RIP.:(
Kitchen Confidential is great, it's really about New York and the cooking scene there. Very well written too.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 8, 2018, 01:43:23 pm »
Shocked, watching his show in Tokyo just now.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #7 on: June 8, 2018, 01:49:26 pm »
I was saddened to hear this this morning, I have been following him since Kitchen Confidential.

RIP Tony.

"Travel Changes You."
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 8, 2018, 02:33:48 pm »
RIP Tony. :'(

Sad he's gone and can't believe it,as has been said anything he did was almost always interesting,a massively charismatic and witty man.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 8, 2018, 02:45:32 pm »
Was just on his instagram the other day looking at the things he was preparing for the upcoming episode which is in Hong Kong. Massively shocked, loved watching him through out the years, gutted.

RIP Tony, you'll be missed

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 8, 2018, 02:49:06 pm »
Proper shocker, knew he had his demons and all, but damn this guy was living the dream. RIP

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 8, 2018, 04:20:29 pm »
wtf.

Think most people have heard of him, and in a good way. A life well-lived, some good done.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 8, 2018, 04:27:22 pm »
probably the only time in recent memory that I've been deeply saddened by a 'celebrity' death.

Still can't believe he's gone.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 8, 2018, 05:01:34 pm »
So it is being reported that he took his own life,I hope that they're not jumping the gun & that he left a note because if he didn't then it could've just been an accident on his part.

Loved his shows even though the latest ones all seemed like repeats.

"Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride."
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 8, 2018, 05:29:35 pm »
So it is being reported that he took his own life,I hope that they're not jumping the gun & that he left a note because if he didn't then it could've just been an accident on his part.

Loved his shows even though the latest ones all seemed like repeats.

He hung himself

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 8, 2018, 05:32:21 pm »
He hung himself

Fuck.

When I was younger one of my supervisors hung himself,was such a shock because whilst he was a quiet fella he was also well loved and very funny.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #16 on: June 9, 2018, 01:09:58 am »
I used to work as as a chef. I winced at every word in Kitchen Confidential, it was all true. Anyone who’s worked in the industry adores that book. Fucking gutted.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #17 on: June 9, 2018, 10:32:21 pm »
One of the few TV personalities who I loved to listen to.
Just hearing his well-put prose while watching him do stuff I just wish that I could do too.

He had so much more of life to enjoy.

I feel sorry for his French chef mate who was in the hotel with him - he must be deeply upset.
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 07:37:02 pm »

8)

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 08:21:38 pm »
Alex Jones the conspiracy nut 24 hours later had a click bait video on Youtube on Bourdain's death.

I hate that fat opportunist Texan piece of slime.

Jones makes a living off lies innuendo and stupid conspiracy theories and selling garbage water purifiers.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 09:10:57 pm »
Alex Jones the conspiracy nut 24 hours later had a click bait video on Youtube on Bourdain's death.

Jones makes a living off lies innuendo and stupid conspiracy theories and selling garbage water purifiers.

He's a vie human being. There are no surprises there, he said some absolutely disgusting things about the kids that were murdered in the states at Sandy Hook.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 02:01:39 pm »

Just read it there. He keeps referring to Bourdain "doing a Kanye West" what does he mean? Bourdain was gonna just turn into a complete c*nt?

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 06:16:14 am »
He's a vie human being. There are no surprises there, he said some absolutely disgusting things about the kids that were murdered in the states at Sandy Hook.

Iirc... Jones said that Sandy Hook was a false flag and didn't happen and that the parents of the dead were 'crisis actors'. One of the parents asked to meet him so he could see that they were genuine so that he would leave them alone with their grief
 He refused. Agreed in that he's a complete piece of shit.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 09:07:13 am »
Been binge watching my way through Parts Unknown on Netflix during lockdown.

Such an open window into the world. 

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2020, 09:14:03 am »
Must revisit his work.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #25 on: June 4, 2021, 11:05:54 am »
https://twitter.com/RoadrunnerMovie/status/1400431329997586436?s=20

Out on July 16th. Will probably be the first film I've watched in a cinema for two years and I imagine I'll cry a lot.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 4, 2021, 11:10:25 am »

Out on July 16th. Will probably be the first film I've watched in a cinema for two years and I imagine I'll cry a lot.

Thanks for this. I don't tend to enjoy documentaries like this, and I haven't seen much of Bourdain's work, but he seems a very interesting character who had a great charismatic energy and a relatable thirst for exploring. It should be very interesting (and sad).

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #27 on: June 4, 2021, 11:15:25 am »
Thanks for this. I don't tend to enjoy documentaries like this, and I haven't seen much of Bourdain's work, but he seems a very interesting character who had a great charismatic energy and a relatable thirst for exploring. It should be very interesting (and sad).

Away from the TV shows (which are great), Kitchen Confidential is one of my favourite books of all time, even though the most experience I have of a commercial kitchen was a few months spent washing dishes a years and years ago - highly recommend. I got through it in a couple of evenings on my first read.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 4, 2021, 11:17:37 am »
Away from the TV shows (which are great), Kitchen Confidential is one of my favourite books of all time, even though the most experience I have of a commercial kitchen was a few months spent washing dishes a years and years ago - highly recommend. I got through it in a couple of evenings on my first read.

I have really struggled to get through books the last year or so, that sounds like a really good opportunity to try to get back into it - thanks for the recommendation!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 4, 2021, 12:28:29 pm »

Was wondering why his shows started trending again on Netflix. Will definitely check it out

I never knew about him until quite late when he did the show The Taste. Then whilst flicking through the TV one night at 1am I discovered No Reservations and was hooked. Then Parts Unknown took up a huge chunk of the early part of lockdown.

His honesty about the hospitality industry in general was something very different to what is usually presented on screen and in the media. Its not all michelin stars and fancy food on the plate. The struggles some have dealing with the pressure and turning to drink and substance abuse are real.

I think Gordon Ramsey is the only other chef to have been that honest with his audience.

Then there is the whole conversation over mental health and how on the outside he looked and sounded like he was 'happy'. He had a daughter, a partner, a critically acclaimed TV show, travelled to more places on the planet than anyone could even begin to dream (set foot on every single continent). Yet to have ended his life so suddenly shows that the dark places your mind can get to can always be hidden from view.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #30 on: June 4, 2021, 12:39:37 pm »
Then there is the whole conversation over mental health and how on the outside he looked and sounded like he was 'happy'. He had a daughter, a partner, a critically acclaimed TV show, travelled to more places on the planet than anyone could even begin to dream (set foot on every single continent). Yet to have ended his life so suddenly shows that the dark places your mind can get to can always be hidden from view.

There's an episode of Parts Unknown called "Heroin In Small-Town USA" (I can't remember which season, sorry) where he went back to Provincetown which is extremely heavy, you could tell he was someone doing their best to be happy but it just... wasn't clicking for him. I cried when I watched it and I haven't watched it again since he died.

Online Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #31 on: June 4, 2021, 02:55:22 pm »

Agree, never worked in a kitchen but I felt like I had after I read his book, was brilliant.  Proper no holds barred account.

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: June 4, 2021, 03:52:04 pm »
Agree, never worked in a kitchen but I felt like I had after I read his book, was brilliant.  Proper no holds barred account.
Great book. There is something of Down in out in Paris and London about it, while also feeling like something Lou Reed could have been part of.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #33 on: June 6, 2021, 01:05:10 am »
I did work in kitchens for many years, I identified with every word in that book.

He had excellent taste in music as well. I’ve been a fan of Mark Lanegan for years, this clip is Fucking poignant.

https://youtu.be/RyUVNFBZ_X4
We are Liverpool!

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #34 on: June 6, 2021, 02:11:35 am »

Thanks for the heads up..  8)    .. will be looking out for this film/docu.
I remember stumbling on the show 'Parts Unkown' many years ago at daft o'clock on cnn... hooked from start..
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 6, 2021, 07:22:54 pm »

Awesome.

Won't be many dry eyes at the end credits.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #36 on: August 5, 2021, 11:39:21 pm »
Roadrunner docu is about on the usual sites.... just grabbed a copy  8)
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2021, 01:53:41 am »
There's an episode of Parts Unknown called "Heroin In Small-Town USA" (I can't remember which season, sorry) where he went back to Provincetown which is extremely heavy, you could tell he was someone doing their best to be happy but it just... wasn't clicking for him. I cried when I watched it and I haven't watched it again since he died.

It was the best bit of TV work he had done (besides the Beirut Episode when the war broke out), I was genuinely moved when I watched the Heroin episode.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2021, 11:28:38 pm »
Some Reddit posts from Anthony Bourdain, he was posting on the Martial Arts subreddit as NooYawkCity, the first thread he created was "58 year old white belt".

Apparently it didn't take long for Redditors to realise it was him from his posting.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/anthony-bourdain-jiujitsu-secret-reddit-posts-1268801/

His Reddit account with his posts. https://www.reddit.com/user/NooYawkCity/

Just one of the posts. ;D

April 22, 2015, 4:12 p.m.
After 45 minutes of sprawls and burpies, it’s time for live rolling. Someone puts on Rupert Holmes’ “Piña Colada Song” and right away the 270 lb former wrestler who just got dumped by his girlfriend, angrily passes my guard, slaps me into side control and sinks his weight into my jaw. He’s wearing a new but filthy Atama gi. It feels like a cheese grater against my cheek as he grinds away at me. I can hear my teeth making terrible sounds and am pretty sure my crowns are going to explode any second. Jabba The Wrestler has been eating at Subway. I can smell rancid, sour, pre-sliced onions on his breath, which, sadly does little to mask the horrifying miasma of swamp ass rising from his sweaty thighs. As my teeth give way, the music changes to Don Mclean’s “American Pie”. I pray for death but I’m already dead.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 11:34:05 pm by RedSince86 »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2021, 02:23:23 am »
^ Ha ha. Great post. He could write.
Before Covid When we could travel I’d always watch his show on the place to get a feel for it and use his eyes to try and educate me.  We miss you Anthony