Author Topic: Representing at a decent level  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Representing at a decent level
« on: October 30, 2019, 07:37:12 am »
Have you achieved some success in life which has meant you’ve achieved something pretty impressive? It could either be because you were selected to play for a top youth team as a kid or you won a prize for a writing competition...

Mine: I played county level chess for a few years as a kid, competing in the national finals all the way down in Devon. Still got the medals and trophies.

You?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: Representing at a decent level
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 09:29:31 am »
50,000+ posts on Rawk.

Got ridiculed. I'm still in counselling.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 09:50:12 am »
Won a long distance running competition when I was 7 and got presented with the trophy by Ken Barlow from Corrie. All downhill since then.

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 09:59:09 am »
Won the inter school debate competition 6 times in a row.
Won the inter university debate competition 4 times in a row.
The then high court lower judge suggested I would have a fantastic career in law and offered the chance to intern under him.

Became an engineer instead and I dont think I need to elaborate further.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 10:15:58 am »
Got hit on the head by Timmy Mallett's mallet once.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 10:32:41 am »
Won a long distance running competition when I was 7 and got presented with the trophy by Ken Barlow from Corrie. All downhill since then.

Did he turn up in his Jaguar?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 10:35:04 am »
Won a fun size Mars bar for being the only person in class that could spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious on the blackboard when I was 8
(I should give it back though as I just had to google it and got it wrong when I first typed this)
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 11:34:47 am »
Don't hold onto your past victories too tightly. They mean little now. Let me explain.

I'm an underachiever, and I hate myself for it. :'(

I was the kid that annoyed you in school because I won virtually every contest that was held each year locally. My classmates half-seriously told me I was going to be President someday. I won a US national math fair at 14. Very good high school student. Attended a top college. I was supposed to be "SOMEBODY".

I've had a decent career as an adult, but have never reached the heights that I know deep down I am capable of. I'm in my 50s and don't have enough money saved for retirement, and it's completely my fault. My house needs repairs that I'm too lazy to get to. I have unpaid taxes because I'm too lazy to do them -- even worse, I'm probably OWED tax money by the government.

I see a therapist about this stuff (first time I've ever admitted that to anyone). Just a couple of weeks ago when I explained all of this to her for the 100th time, she looked at me and said "Your success as a child means nothing. You were in a sheltered environment. Adult life is completely different. You're not owed anything or deserve anything." It was a slap in the face and I was angry, but I had to admit she was right.

When my mother died, I wrote a letter to her and my pre-deceased father that night while grieving. I promised them that I would finally reach my potential, the potential they never had seen me reach and that they had wished for me. My parents died worrying about me. I placed that letter in her casket, in the desperate hope that it would spur me on.

Yet here I sit at 730am, with a mountain of work to do, and I'm on RAWK wasting time again.

DON'T BE ME.

I fucking hate myself. This is my last post on RAWK until at least February.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 11:42:49 am »
Got hit on the head by Timmy Mallett's mallet once.

I hope to God this isn’t a euphemism. Do Operation Yewtree know?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 11:45:14 am »
I hope to God this isn’t a euphemism. Do Operation Yewtree know?

Nah it was all good, apparently I was special so got to put a blindfold on and be hit with it in a private room with just the two of us.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 11:47:56 am »

Is that to improve your time?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 11:53:49 am »
Soxfan...GOSH...that’s pretty heavy. Hope you get the support you need!

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 12:10:08 pm »
Currently attending one of the top ten philosophy depts in the world for my phd.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 12:35:25 pm »
A long time ago but I used to be one hell of a footy player in school days, won loads of trophies and certificates for outstanding tournament performances etc. Based my style of finishing on Michael Owen and I had electric speed, considering I was twice the size of other kids on the pitch.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 12:51:47 pm »
Nah it was all good, apparently I was special so got to put a blindfold on and be hit with it in a private room with just the two of us.

Bet the gunge smelt horrible
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 12:55:28 pm »
Don't hold onto your past victories too tightly. They mean little now. Let me explain.

I was the kid that annoyed you in school because I won virtually every contest that was held each year locally. My classmates half-seriously told me I was going to be President someday. I won a US national math fair at 14. Very good high school student. Attended a top college. I was supposed to be "SOMEBODY".

I've had a decent career as an adult, but have never reached the heights that I know deep down I am capable of. I'm in my 50s and don't have enough money saved for retirement, and it's completely my fault. My house needs repairs that I'm too lazy to get to. I have unpaid taxes because I'm too lazy to do them -- even worse, I'm probably OWED tax money by the government.

I see a therapist about this stuff (first time I've ever admitted that to anyone). Just a couple of weeks ago when I explained all of this to her for the 100th time, she looked at me and said "Your success as a child means nothing. You were in a sheltered environment. Adult life is completely different. You're not owed anything or deserve anything." It was a slap in the face and I was angry, but I had to admit she was right.

When my mother died, I wrote a letter to her and my pre-deceased father that night while grieving. I promised them that I would finally reach my potential, the potential they never had seen me reach and that they had wished for me. My parents died worrying about me. I placed that letter in her casket, in the desperate hope that it would spur me on.

Yet here I sit at 730am, with a mountain of work to do, and I'm on RAWK wasting time again.

DON'T BE ME.

Potential?

The potential to say a kind word, to give someone an encouraging smile, tell people its all right... why don’t we value that?

What was your potential? To earn lots of money?  Have an ‘important’ job?  Do they really matter in the greater scheme of things?

At least on here your party of a community. And a valued part at that.  We worry far far too much about things that don’t really matter. 

Just make yourself happy. And be a good person.  There aren’t enough of those in society.  We need more like you not less. (Although claim your tax back ;))

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 12:59:36 pm »
Potential?

The potential to say a kind word, to give someone an encouraging smile, tell people its all right... why don’t we value that?

What was your potential? To earn lots of money?  Have an ‘important’ job?  Do they really matter in the greater scheme of things?

At least on here your party of a community. And a valued part at that.  We worry far far too much about things that don’t really matter. 

Just make yourself happy. And be a good person.  There aren’t enough of those in society.  We need more like you not less. (Although claim your tax back ;))

Totally agree with this. Think a lot of people have a slightly skewed view on what potential is, and whilst nothing wrong if you end up making a load of money, probably better to judge your 'success' on plenty of other things before this.

You seem a really decent fella Sox, don't ignore that mate.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 01:08:57 pm »
Commissioned into the Royal Air Force, then a few years later the British Army. Being an officer was all I ever wanted to be. Basically got made redundant only a few years later as the forces reduced in size but couldn't be more proud of getting to do something I always wanted.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:15:29 pm by AndyInVA »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 01:18:22 pm »
Full of show offs in here.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 01:19:07 pm »
Totally agree with this. Think a lot of people have a slightly skewed view on what potential is, and whilst nothing wrong if you end up making a load of money, probably better to judge your 'success' on plenty of other things before this.

You seem a really decent fella Sox, don't ignore that mate.

Thirded. Stick around mate.
Bet the gunge smelt horrible

:lmao

Currently attending one of the top ten philosophy depts in the world for my phd.

A great philosopher once said: “Naughty, naughty...very naughty”

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 01:29:23 pm »
Potential?

Hear hear!

Soxfan, mate you've made yourself miserable for all of your adult life trying to live up to something others decided you should achieve.

Live your life for you mate, not trying to make others happy or proud. 

Not everyone is cut out to be a highflyer (whatever the fuck that is).

Take the self hatred goggles off, smile, hug your family, take in a beautiful view and enjoy what you have got [emoji8]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 01:54:51 pm »
Potential?

Probably my fave post by you mate. Agree with all that

And Soxfan mate,listen to Micky B

i think this song works on so many levels as theres Wisdom in that hair (and dont be reading too much into it) ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/L0frA_0MjW8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/L0frA_0MjW8</a>

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 02:01:27 pm »
Soxfan, chin up lad, small steps and all that, I once carried a 5 figure tax demand around with me in my jacket pocket for months without replying :D
I can be a terrible procrastinator - just do what you can / do your best / let's face it a lot of high achievers are complete fucking divvies - just look at some of our politicians

I once got a game for Merseyside U 18's because I went down to watch the match (It was at SFX where I was at school) and half the team had flu or were injured and I had my boots in my kit bag - they threw me on at right back - of course - and I completely Peter Kayed it, " 'av it!"  My mates almost died laughing as I was so shit compared to the future-pros playing :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RgaIw829Yxk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RgaIw829Yxk</a>

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 04:06:35 pm »

DON'T BE ME.

Don't be hard on yourself mate, no point beating yourself up over what you haven't done, look for the good in what you have achieved and don't sweat. You sound very similar to me, I put myself through similar a few years ago and it didn't do me any good.

I never achieved my potential, the teachers in Primary school had plans for me to go to Oxford or Cambridge, I finished top of school at 11. I had all these plans to be a fighter pilot, but went short sighted and couldn't fly. I then sort of drifted aimlessly and gave. I ended up as a software developer, but due to it being with the company I started as a driver with when I was 22, I'm not on a great wage. I got all down a few years ago because I know people who are developers who are on 3 times what I'm on. But, I'd never swap places, their lives are shit, even though they are minted and my life is so rich with my missus and kids.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 04:09:10 pm »
Sox fan you tax dodger!!!!!!!

:D All jokes aside, good luck to you, wish you all the best, keep your head up!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 05:08:20 pm »

DON'T BE ME.

Not so fast, Soxfan. I dearly hope you stick around on RAWK. I enjoy your posts and you come over as a very decent guy and a lovely character. We need more like you, not less.

I'll be honest, I loathe the under-achiever tag, regardless of whether it's put on us by others or ourselves. Don't get me wrong, I spent four decades of my life feeling an abject failure, so I well understand your own feelings here. I was never academic, maybe because I wasn't that intelligent in that way, but also because I suffered crippling Social Anxiety Disorder which left me hyper-avoidant and rather isolated. Despite that, I was bloody good at athletics and could run the 100 metres in 11 seconds as a kid. I never lost a single race up to the 1,200 metres mark. It pissed others off so much that the school bully asked me to throw a few races to let someone else have a chance. People said I could be a very good short distance runner, but I was too anxious to even represent the school, never mind push myself further in the sport. Missed opportunities there, but that was my life back then so I have no regrets. Of course, others berated me over it, though.

I grew up being a big disappointment. The guy who became so scared of failure that he decided it was easier if he didn't try at all. If you don't try, you don't fail, and if you don't fail, no one can criticise you. Right? Wrong. People criticise no matter what you do or don't do in life. My education was a write-off and I came out of it alive, but with nothing else of note. To be honest, I was always a dead man walking. Always with one hand on the suicide door. I never thought I'd still be alive today, so I made no provisions for being so. I'm alive by the seat of my pants. In a materialistic sense, many, many people half my age have attained more and are better at most things than I'll ever be. Truth is, I absolutely loathed and hated myself into my 40s. The only thing I excelled at was disappointing people and failing to achieve anything of note with my life.

One day I was sat at the local beach in my car with a pen and a pad in my hand. I drew two columns. One for reasons to kill myself and the other for reasons to carry on. Whichever list had the most in was the one I'd act on. Luckily for me, the 'carry on' list somehow came out longer, with the proviso that I did something with my life I could feel proud of and which gave me purpose, regardless of if it meant others saw me as a success or not. I ended up training to be a counsellor so I could help others in a similar position to myself. It took a few years, it was difficult for me too, because there is a big academic component and I didn't have a clue how to write essays or anything. Due to the social Anxiety it was also well over 20 years since I'd last sat squirming in a classroom, and due to the trauma that was school, I vowed back then never to sit in a classroom ever again in my life after I left.

I'd had plenty of counselling / therapy myself over the years and that, along with learning my own life lessons to an extent, actually helped me alter my perceptions. We cannot live our lives for other people. We cannot devote ourselves to fulfilling other peoples expectations of us. We have to work out what we value in life and work towards that. Of course, I like nice things if I can have them, but I'm not really materialistic. I'm not money-driven or job/career driven. I'm driven by trying to be a good person. I value time with my dog and my partner over money and 'achieving'. To me, being a good person, helping others, being productive, being supportive etc are my achievements, simply because I value them.

No one can ever look at me and think ''wow, he's got life sussed. What a success'', but I also know that, inside, I now hold no self-hatred. I am not full of self-loathing. Funny enough, when you are a counsellor you see a never ending stream of people who appear to have life sussed because they have a good job, a flash car and a nice house, but who are desolate inside and craving the basics of genuine love and understanding. There are millions of people out there who on the surface look to have everything, but who feel that apart from material wealth, they actually have nothing. Basically, capitalist society cons us into believing we need the wrong things if we want to feel content and fulfilled. There is a void within people that they try to fill with money or the material things money can buy, but those things cannot fill that kind of void. People need more than that.

I now know that I'd rather be skint but have my current mindset than loaded but a drone in a rat race until I die. When I look at people I try to see the human being, not the size of their house, the price of their jacket or the year of their car. I look for the quality of the humanity, because it's that which determines that person's development and success in my eyes. I think you could benefit from realising your value a bit more. You are more of a success than you think you are. You are a decent human being and you care. In this world it's harder to care than not care. It's braver to give a crap than not.

I have to disagree in part with your therapist. Your childhood successes do mean something and always will. They were yours, and of their time. Never let go of them, because you deserved them. You did the best you could in the circumstances as they were at the time. Adult life is no different at all in this respect. Where I do agree with her is where she implies that past success is no guarantee of present or future success. If that were the case, Everton might actually still be winning something.  ;) To get the most out of our lives I think we have to still do the best with our circumstances at the time. Change the circumstances that hinder us if/where we can, and work as well as we can in circumstances we cannot change. Much of it comes down to our own values. We have to ask ourselves what our values actually are, because many people don't even know themselves. Once we identify what we actually value in life we can then ask ourselves whether or not we are currently living by them? The answer to that will determine future direction. There are lots of different areas of our lives where we can look to identify our values. Work them out, then live by them and no way can you look yourself in the mirror and still feel a failure.

Potential? In what? In things that you personally value, or things that other people might value? We only have one life in this skin, so we have to live it in service of what we value. From many posts I've read from you you come across as ahead of many people when it comes to being a successful, decent, caring human being. You cannot be taught that, and you cannot buy it either. Think Abu Dhabi FC and Class/pedigree for that one.  ;)

EDIT: Sorry for the long post, but I just hate seeing good people suffering.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 05:20:07 pm by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 07:02:49 pm »
That escalated quickly! :o

From show-off thread to life counselling in about 5 posts :D

Some excellent posts in here :wellin
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 07:07:40 pm »
I've probably under achieved but I've had a right fucking laugh along the way.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2019, 07:17:19 pm »
That escalated quickly! :o

From show-off thread to life counselling in about 5 posts :D

Some excellent posts in here :wellin
Yeah, some excellent posts but let’s not be distracted from me and my ‘chess years’ ...

:P

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2019, 08:12:07 pm »
Just want to put my 2 cents in and say I'm another big Soxfan fan. I was also supposed to be a genius when I was little (ok maybe not to your extent), also went on to achieve mediocrity. Sod it, money's not everything

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2019, 08:21:59 pm »
Just want to put my 2 cents in and say I'm another big Soxfan fan. I was also supposed to be a genius when I was little (ok maybe not to your extent), also went on to achieve mediocrity. Sod it, money's not everything
I’ve changed my mind.

He’s a c*nt ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2019, 12:51:10 pm »
Great posts Soxfan and SoS and thanks for sharing. Made up that you're in a good place SoS and go a bit easier on yourself Soxfan. (well done on your chess too Fitzy  ;))

For what it's worth, you both come across as sound people on here. One of the big measures of success for me is how you treat people and how you make others feel.

As others have said, we are conditioned into equating the wrong things with success and achievement and our perceptions of people are skewed by this. Give me down to earth people any day of the week, and in my experience there's no correlation between "success" in the traditional sense and being a down to earth sound person. I know and have known completely shallow materialistic arseholes who only value material things and judge people by what they have accumulated. I also know people with successful careers who are fantastic people people.

I think that we never stop learning, especially about ourselves and one of the keys for me is accepting who we are and our natural style and working around that. I work for myself and am constantly battling procrastination and self doubt, but I am also capable of extreme focus and productivity, it's about accepting, understanding and working around things.

The other thing I'd add is don't make the mistake of thinking that others, even those you admire and appear to have it all, don't have struggles, dark moments, confidence crises etc. One of the things I tell my kids if they go to a meeting and know no one, is that no matter how outwardly confident other people look, most will be feeling the same as you.

Sorry, bit longer than I intended, thanks again for your contributions lads.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 02:40:20 pm »
I swam for England once.

(Fell off the back of a ferry).

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2019, 06:52:52 pm »
Won a Pontins Welly throwing contest once, youngest and smallest kid there. Went last and threw under arm unlike the others who all tried launching it overhead. Probably 30 years ago now but still remember it. Exciting life I lead...

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2019, 08:08:48 pm »
I won employee of the year in 2008 at my firm out of 130 people. I got promoted and qualified in my field that year but the recognition from my colleagues who were a great bunch of people, really meant a lot to me. Many of which have since gone onto bigger and better things than I have.

In 2007, I'd been knocked back from promotion, had a horrible break up and a real chip on my shoulder post Athens. But the people around me, picked me up and when the opportunity came along I managed to seize the moment.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2019, 08:25:40 pm »
Broke the school long jump record when I was 14.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2019, 08:33:29 pm »
Won a Pontins Welly throwing contest once ...

ha ha ha

Offline trav2591

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #37 on: November 1, 2019, 11:01:48 am »
Played Badminton at county level as a teenager. Tried to get back into it last year and was atrocious.