Author Topic: Sportwashing-A general thread  (Read 61447 times)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sportwashing-A general thread
« Reply #520 on: September 5, 2023, 10:06:29 pm »
What I found interesting was it appears that Hendo did not force for a move.

Part of the rationale for why we were said to need to take the blood money from saudi, was the idea that having sulking hendo and fab around would have sabotaged our season, I'm not sure that is the case

Eh. That’s if you believe him.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: September 5, 2023, 10:14:52 pm »
I was fascinated at my nephew’s birthday party the other day to see so many Abu Dhabi shirts. About 50% of the kids in shirts were wearing them. The rest were Liverpool and utd. Sportswashing works.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: September 5, 2023, 10:15:58 pm »
I was fascinated at my nephew’s birthday party the other day to see so many Abu Dhabi shirts. About 50% of the kids in shirts were wearing them. The rest were Liverpool and utd. Sportswashing works.

Yeah, that’s the long game. It’s just a shame those parents don’t educate their kids properly.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: September 5, 2023, 10:30:56 pm »

Part of the rationale for why we were said to need to take the blood money from saudi, was the idea that having sulking hendo and fab around would have sabotaged our season, I'm not sure that is the case
find it extremely fanciful to say the least that he's telling the truth that ettifaq approached the club first, to which he reacted.

for a start, news was leaked that he'd agreed contract terms before any talk of a club to club approach. secondly, their first bid was to take him for free, to which they were (as close to publicly as is possible) told to do one.

henderson expects us to believe his tale that the club didnt try sufficiently hard to shoo the saudi club away (after they bid to take him for free) and so therefore that resulted in him deciding 'oh maybe ill talk to them now for the very first time since the value my transfer so highly at £0'

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: September 5, 2023, 10:49:05 pm »
find it extremely fanciful to say the least that he's telling the truth that ettifaq approached the club first, to which he reacted.

for a start, news was leaked that he'd agreed contract terms before any talk of a club to club approach. secondly, their first bid was to take him for free, to which they were (as close to publicly as is possible) told to do one.

henderson expects us to believe his tale that the club didnt try sufficiently hard to shoo the saudi club away (after they bid to take him for free) and so therefore that resulted in him deciding 'oh maybe ill talk to them now for the very first time since the value my transfer so highly at £0'

Exactly mate. There were photos of him training over there before any announcement. It could be argued he did that to ensure it went ahead, if the deal wasn’t finalised by then.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #525 on: September 6, 2023, 12:39:42 am »

'Twitter accused of helping Saudi Arabia commit human rights abuses':-

Lawsuit says network discloses user data at request of Saudi authorities at much higher rate than for US, UK and Canada

www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/04/twitter-saudi-arabia-human-rights-abuses

a snippet...

'The social media company formerly known as Twitter has been accused in a revised civil US lawsuit of helping Saudi Arabia commit grave human rights abuses against its users, including by disclosing confidential user data at the request of Saudi authorities at a much higher rate than it has for the US, UK or Canada.

The lawsuit was brought last May against X, as Twitter is now known, by Areej al-Sadhan, the sister of a Saudi aid worker who was forcibly disappeared and then later sentenced to 20 years in jail.

It centers on the events surrounding the infiltration of the California company by three Saudi agents, two of whom were posing as Twitter employees in 2014 and 2015, which ultimately led to the arrest of al-Sadhan’s brother, Abdulrahman, and the exposure of the identity of thousands of anonymous Twitter users, some of whom were later reportedly detained and tortured as part of the government’s crackdown on dissent.

Lawyers for Al-Sadhan updated their claim last week to include new allegations about how Twitter, under the leadership of then chief executive Jack Dorsey, willfully ignored or had knowledge of the Saudi government’s campaign to ferret out critics but – because of financial considerations and efforts to keep close ties to the Saudi government, a top investor in the company – provided assistance to the kingdom.'
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #526 on: September 6, 2023, 03:50:23 am »

Why do you believe him, and even if you do, why is the very generous contract he was on not an indicator he was wanted?

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #527 on: September 6, 2023, 06:58:12 am »
Can we put the Henderson talk into his thread rather than this one, otherwise we have two threads going on the same subject and it covers the more important issues on this thread.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #528 on: September 6, 2023, 09:27:08 am »
Looks like the Saudi government’s concentration on sports washing has led to them taking the eye of the ball when it comes to ensuring that pilgrims to Islam’s holiest places are treated with respect;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66686446

Offline AnfieldRD19

• Not worried at all about his manbuddy.
  • Kopite
  • YNWA

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #530 on: September 6, 2023, 12:56:29 pm »
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: September 6, 2023, 05:40:15 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66732863

Rodgers can fuck off too, wouldn't put it past him to end up out there.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #532 on: September 6, 2023, 06:10:32 pm »

'morality officers’ :lmao

what a cretinous thing for Rodgers to say.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: September 6, 2023, 06:44:42 pm »

Is he saying people shouldn’t have morals?
100% he will end up out there.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #534 on: September 6, 2023, 06:55:39 pm »

Extremely unsurprised by this turn of events.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #535 on: September 6, 2023, 07:45:27 pm »
Is he saying people shouldn’t have morals?

Not exactly. He seems to be saying they should keep their morals to themselves.

If only the Saudi theocracy did the same.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #536 on: September 6, 2023, 08:27:27 pm »
"He's a beautiful Human being, so he is"   ::)

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: September 6, 2023, 09:25:58 pm »
"What makes [Saudi Arabia] dangerous is not only the money, they have a plan. The plan is attracting top players and looking to get top managers out there."

Nah Brendan, it's actually their violent fundamentalism and murderous intent. Enjoy Nuno's job when you get offered what you're angling for you weird little man

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: September 6, 2023, 10:31:44 pm »

Wouldn't put it past him? This is practically a come and get me plea. Rodgers is a bellend, so this isn't surprising.

I'm still astonished by Henderson. No footballer I've ever idolised has subsequently proven to be so thick/spineless/clueless/cowardly/craven. An awful, depressing fall from grace. He deserves every bit of shit coming his way.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: September 6, 2023, 10:43:53 pm »
Fuck me, he’s an embarrassment.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: September 6, 2023, 11:14:37 pm »
Rodgers just talks in soundbites. You could see him in a couple of years going  “Saudi football, in the 90s, i was a big fan, a student one could say, and this club “checks notes” , AL (*), is all about history, traditions, and the beautiful game” hes got the play book on all the right phrases for whatever circumstance.

Henderson should’ve just said yes ive taken the money,* im donating so much of it to charity thats the best way i feel i can help*. Leave the theocratic stuff alone, better off looking like a dumb greedy footballer at this point than a moral crusader who now sees both sides of the argument.
“At what point did you decide that rainbow laces are disrespectful, A) 300k a week B)400k C) 500k.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: September 6, 2023, 11:27:12 pm »
"What makes [Saudi Arabia] dangerous is not only the money, they have a plan. The plan is attracting top players and looking to get top managers out there."

Nah Brendan, it's actually their violent fundamentalism and murderous intent. Enjoy Nuno's job when you get offered what you're angling for you weird little man

Yeah, he is just twerking for them now.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #542 on: September 6, 2023, 11:51:40 pm »
One thing I had not appreciated was FIFA and the world club championship. I know we won it but we never really celebrate this like something important because of who qualifies. What I had not realised was how others view it. I have put it in this thread as well as the sportswashing because;

1. El-Ittihad have already qualified (it is being held in Saudi, Jeddah to be precise), and I am sure they would love nothing more than winning this one to put them on what they view is the world stage. Salah would have been part of that in December.
2. Flumenense will qualify if they win the Copa (they are last 4), its a second reason why they may deal in January

More importantly, this is a trophy that FIFA are hoping will steal the limelight from the champions league. It's barely noticable now and City will pop across and miss 1 game in December.

In 2025 there are 32 clubs involved, Chelsea and City are in there and I don't think we can qualify (good)
Al-Hilal are in there already, El-Ittihad have a good chance of being there as well. I don't trust Infantino as he may use this vehicle to raise FIFAs profile in an area that UEFA have dominated. I have no doubt he will work with Saudi, Quatar, Abu Dhabi and whoever can be bought off to use this to change club football over the next decade.
The 2025 is in the USA (the last few have been in the middle east and morroco) and will take place in June and July, a massive ask for City and Chelsea (which is the good thing)

It's coming and I bet the Saudi's along with Infantino will want to place this at the pinnacle of the sport (and win it)
Let's see how the 2023 Saudi version shapes up in December.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2023, 11:53:53 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: September 7, 2023, 06:19:46 am »
One thing I had not appreciated was FIFA and the world club championship. I know we won it but we never really celebrate this like something important because of who qualifies. What I had not realised was how others view it. I have put it in this thread as well as the sportswashing because;

1. El-Ittihad have already qualified (it is being held in Saudi, Jeddah to be precise), and I am sure they would love nothing more than winning this one to put them on what they view is the world stage. Salah would have been part of that in December.
2. Flumenense will qualify if they win the Copa (they are last 4), its a second reason why they may deal in January

More importantly, this is a trophy that FIFA are hoping will steal the limelight from the champions league. It's barely noticable now and City will pop across and miss 1 game in December.

In 2025 there are 32 clubs involved, Chelsea and City are in there and I don't think we can qualify (good)
Al-Hilal are in there already, El-Ittihad have a good chance of being there as well. I don't trust Infantino as he may use this vehicle to raise FIFAs profile in an area that UEFA have dominated. I have no doubt he will work with Saudi, Quatar, Abu Dhabi and whoever can be bought off to use this to change club football over the next decade.
The 2025 is in the USA (the last few have been in the middle east and morroco) and will take place in June and July, a massive ask for City and Chelsea (which is the good thing)

It's coming and I bet the Saudi's along with Infantino will want to place this at the pinnacle of the sport (and win it)
Let's see how the 2023 Saudi version shapes up in December.

To be fair  the club world cup has always been massive in other parts of the world, like South America. They were all really excited when we were in it. The importance within FIFA can well stem from that. No surprise though that the Saudis are trying to make it all about them though.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #544 on: September 7, 2023, 06:29:51 am »
How the hell are Chelsea in it in 2025? surely theyd want to get the top teams in ( ie.us)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: September 7, 2023, 08:02:05 am »
How the hell are Chelsea in it in 2025? surely theyd want to get the top teams in ( ie.us)

Won it in 2022, I think that was the only criteria, oh that and being fucking oil cheats funded on the sly by Saudi Arabia. They can keep their Oil "MURDERING BASTARDS ONLY NEED APPLY" cup
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: September 7, 2023, 08:18:51 am »
"He's a beautiful Human being, so he is"   ::)

A great technician, full of character.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: September 7, 2023, 09:01:57 am »
C Ronaldo must be feeling the burn of not being nominated for the Ballon d'Or for the first time in 20 years.

Doesn't help playing in a 'Mickey Mouse' competition ranked 68th in the world.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: September 7, 2023, 11:17:04 am »
Little motivational trick:

'I've got in my hand, three envelopes with three different names in them, each of whom will let the Saudi state down on twitter this year.

Don't let yourself, any of you great technicians, be one of these names - you don't want to let the team down (of be executed)'

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: September 7, 2023, 11:23:17 am »
I'm struggling to get any work done with this clattering of so many masks slipping and hitting the floor.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: September 7, 2023, 12:51:14 pm »
"A Tale of Two C*nts"

John Terry has begun his managerial career in the Saudi Pro League with Al-Shabbab.

Sergio Ramos has turned down 20m euro to join Al-Ittihad and instead signed for his boyhood club Sevilla for 1m
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #551 on: September 7, 2023, 01:16:51 pm »
To be fair  the club world cup has always been massive in other parts of the world, like South America. They were all really excited when we were in it. The importance within FIFA can well stem from that. No surprise though that the Saudis are trying to make it all about them though.

It is their way to the top table, helped by Infantino. If the World Club Championship gets the status some want it to have the saudis (and others) will have chopped the legs from under the PL and UEFA. We will have a super league but it won't be european. It will take time but it's where my money is.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #552 on: September 7, 2023, 01:42:37 pm »
"A Tale of Two C*nts"

John Terry has begun his managerial career in the Saudi Pro League with Al-Shabbab.

Sergio Ramos has turned down 20m euro to join Al-Ittihad and instead signed for his boyhood club Sevilla for 1m

Apparently Terry has asked if he can spend a month every year with the Saudi Arabian border guards.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: September 7, 2023, 01:55:38 pm »

It is their way to the top table, helped by Infantino. If the World Club Championship gets the status some want it to have the saudis (and others) will have chopped the legs from under the PL and UEFA. We will have a super league but it won't be european. It will take time but it's where my money is.

I suspect they will use the prospect of a world champions league as leverage to gain direct entry to the UEFA champions league group stage. Similar to how they used the LIV golf tour as a stepping stone to a total takeover of the sport

IF UEFA try and hold strong, then yes they will collude with FIFA and try to beat the champions league, with a world PIF super league it's head they win, tails everyone else loses

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: September 7, 2023, 02:26:00 pm »
Apparently Terry has asked if he can spend a month every year with the Saudi Arabian border guards.
Reports that he's turned up for his first day as manager in their uniform

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #555 on: September 7, 2023, 02:37:30 pm »
I'm struggling to get any work done with this clattering of so many masks slipping and hitting the floor.

To be fair, Brendan's has probably melted rather than fallen
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #556 on: September 7, 2023, 02:55:13 pm »
John Terry must be the only one that is using the good name of the Saudi PL as a means to launder his reputation, rather than the other way around.

I'm sorry Wayne, please finish your cider.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: September 7, 2023, 06:55:44 pm »
Leading Premier League clubs have asked the government to block nation states from owning English football teams, with the request potentially forming part of a new regulator’s brief.

The news comes as the government confirmed the imminent arrival of an independent football regulator “when parliamentary time allows”. The latest update comes at the end of a consultation process with stakeholders in the English game.

The Guardian understands that some leading top-flight clubs used the consultation period to individually lobby the government on state ownership, a process separate to any Premier League submissions.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/07/premier-league-clubs-call-to-block-nation-state-ownership

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #558 on: September 7, 2023, 08:42:11 pm »
Leading Premier League clubs have asked the government to block nation states from owning English football teams, with the request potentially forming part of a new regulator’s brief.

The news comes as the government confirmed the imminent arrival of an independent football regulator “when parliamentary time allows”. The latest update comes at the end of a consultation process with stakeholders in the English game.

The Guardian understands that some leading top-flight clubs used the consultation period to individually lobby the government on state ownership, a process separate to any Premier League submissions.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/07/premier-league-clubs-call-to-block-nation-state-ownership

Interesting that this has happened as talk of a Qatari takeover of United has stopped
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: September 7, 2023, 09:51:45 pm »
Interesting that this has happened as talk of a Qatari takeover of United has stopped
A few months ago renowned idiot Andeh Tey was trumpeting about how "we need Kataaaa".