Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 556868 times)

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
Re: Is it just a battle for 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st spot with 4 other teams now?
« Reply #2560 on: February 24, 2014, 06:15:34 am »
Ladies and Gentlemen, at this stage (after 27 games) in 08/09, we were on 55 points. This year though, we are on 56 points. We won 10 and drew 1 of our last 11 games that season and finished with 86 points.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #2561 on: February 24, 2014, 06:18:27 am »
9 wins , 1 draw 1 loss and the title's ours folks. That'll be 84 points. We'll win in on GD over City. Ferguson will croak.

Love this.  I just did the same thing on the Swansea post-game thread.  I prefer yours!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2562 on: February 24, 2014, 06:22:22 am »
As I said, I am optimistic. I do believe we will get at least 4th, and I do believe we will beat both Southampton and United away. Im just saying we could face quite a different scenario after the next two rounds. And if the gap down to 5th drops to 1-5 points, the psychological aspect is quite different.

And if we do lose both games, the pressure against city, chelsea and spurs would be massive.

That's optimistic? It would take us in meltdown not to make fourth.

Offline Henderson Our Hero

• Founding Member of the Claire Rourke Fan Club - Swedish Branch (vi håller ögonen på dig....)
  • Kopite
  • This is Jordan
« Reply #2563 on: February 24, 2014, 06:31:51 am »
To be fair - Not aiming higher then 4th, just trying to keep the place would be such a bad move.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Is it just a battle for 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st spot with 4 other teams now?
« Reply #2564 on: February 24, 2014, 06:55:35 am »
Even if we lost the next two. We should still be favourites to finish in 4th with Spurs to come to Anfield and an easier draw. Barring a disaster 4th is ours and should be minimum target from here.

We've got to be 50/50 to finish in 3rd too which IMO is the base target from here. Avoiding a playoff spot would be ideal.

Title I see as a bonus. Achievable but it'd take something special....like a functional defence !
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2565 on: February 24, 2014, 08:48:42 am »
That's optimistic? It would take us in meltdown not to make fourth.

7 points over 11 games is nothing especially when we still have to play that team. It won't take a 'meltdown'. It could take a bad day or three on the road which every team is capable of. A dodgy decision by the ref in one of our home games against top 6 teams. 3 away games in a row now could see our lead reduced dramatically.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2566 on: February 24, 2014, 08:50:24 am »
We effectively end any chance of anyone else getting fourth by beating Spurs and United. And I'd back us to do both.

It's in our hands, and it's exactly the way it should be.

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2567 on: February 24, 2014, 08:51:01 am »
Even if we lost the next two. We should still be favourites to finish in 4th with Spurs to come to Anfield and an easier draw. Barring a disaster 4th is ours and should be minimum target from here.

Looking at Southampton's and Mancs' home record, I doubt that there is a chance of us losing our next 2 games:

Southampton - W5 D5 L3
Man Utd - W6 D3 L4
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2568 on: February 24, 2014, 08:51:58 am »
Looking at Southampton's and Mancs' home record, I doubt that there is a chance of us losing our next 2 games:

Southampton - W5 D5 L3
Man Utd - W6 D3 L4

Of course there is a chance of losing those games.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2569 on: February 24, 2014, 08:53:28 am »

Southampton - W5 D5 L3
Man Utd - W6 D3 L4

Of course there's a chance. We have struggled against Southampton in the past, and United is United. Form tends to go out the window for those games.

I wouldn't expect us to, but there's a chance.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2570 on: February 24, 2014, 08:55:59 am »
The fact we have beaten the 08-09 season at this point is  superb in itself,  achieved nothing yet of course,  im always pessimistic about the mancs  but their not catching us, although theres every chance they will  beat us  in that game.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2571 on: February 24, 2014, 08:57:56 am »
Of course there is a chance of losing those games.

In theory, there is.

In the real world, we will very likely get 4 points from those 2 fixtures.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2572 on: February 24, 2014, 09:02:34 am »

Southampton - W5 D5 L3
Man Utd - W6 D3 L4

What utter utter nonsense.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #2573 on: February 24, 2014, 09:03:20 am »
I think we have to try and finish 3rd or above if at all possible (if a title push is out). With the world cup there'll be quite a few players due an extended break which in theory means we've either got a depleted side for the qualifiers or unrested players. We'd quite likely draw a team with less international players and so a more prepared squad. Finish 3rd and above and it doesn't matter at all.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2574 on: February 24, 2014, 09:11:26 am »
Was just trying to post this in the post-match thread before it was locked...

...In all likelihood Mourinho will probably grind out another title, and most likely our leaky defence will cost us during the run-in, but we have won alot of friends this season and if we tweak the balance a little bit between defence and attack and strengthen in the areas that need strengthened in the summer we could be at the start of something special.

I think the next 2 games (S'hampton A and Utd A) will give us a good idea of where we are at. Southampton are a very good team and gave us a good pasting at their place last year, and also beat us at Anfield this year. You know that the mancs will up their game about 50 levels to attempt to ruin our season, much like we used to do to them :)

IMO, we need to win at St Marys.

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2575 on: February 24, 2014, 09:11:42 am »
What utter utter nonsense.

Southampton have won 5 of their 13 home fixtures this season, scoring only 21 goals in the process. Man Utd have won 6 of their 13 home fixtures this season, scoring only 18 goals in the process. I know that people love to bitch and moan about everything, but we have a much better chance of getting a good result in both of our next 2 games, than to lose them.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:15:34 am by Macedonian Red Reborn »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2576 on: February 24, 2014, 09:13:49 am »
Southampton have won 5 of their 13 home fixtures this season, scoring only 21 goals in the process. Man Utd have won 6 of their 13 home fixtures this season, scoring only 18 goals in the process. I know that people love bitch and moan about everything, but we have a much better chance of getting a good result in both of our next 2 games, than to lose them.

Of course. But you cannot say we have no chance of losing.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2577 on: February 24, 2014, 09:13:57 am »
Southampton have won 5 of their 13 home fixtures this season, scoring only 21 goals in the process. Man Utd have won 6 of their 13 home fixtures this season, scoring only 18 goals in the process. I know that people love bitch and moan about everything, but we have a much better chance of getting a good result in both of our next 2 games, than to lose them.

No one's bitching and moaning. We're just not making outlandish remarks like there's no chance in us losing both.

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2578 on: February 24, 2014, 09:14:52 am »
Of course. But you cannot say we have no chance of losing.

That is not what I have said:

Southampton - W5 D5 L3
Man Utd - W6 D3 L4

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2579 on: February 24, 2014, 09:15:02 am »
Chelsea have a great opportunity to really ramp up the pressure. In the next 2 weeks they play twice in the league while us and Arsenal play the once, and City don't have a game. 2 wins for Chelsea and they can sit back and watch the others who will be under quite a bit of pressure.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2580 on: February 24, 2014, 09:17:25 am »

Both sides - particularly the Mancs - will raise their games massively when we step out at their grounds, add the pressure of the end of season run in (as witnessed yesterday) and all those figures and stats amount to the square root of fuck all.

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline random22

• Kopite
« Reply #2581 on: February 24, 2014, 09:28:33 am »
The top four is taking shape. Between now and the end of the season, all that remains to be seen is who finishes where amongst us and the three above us unless we slip up big time and a team below us manages to get ahead.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2582 on: February 24, 2014, 09:28:55 am »
This is a decisive period for us now.  3 tough away games in a row. Win them and we are, in my opinion, favourites for the title (outlandish statement I know!).  Realistically, we will drop some points in the next 3 and Southampton away is very tough.  They have lost 3 at home (and two of those they were very unlucky).

Ultimately, these next 3 will decide if we are challenging for the title or settling for top 4.

Offline SMacDougall

• Kopite
« Reply #2583 on: February 24, 2014, 09:32:00 am »
Bet Howard Webb will ref the game against Man United, and bet he'll fuck us over, again.

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2584 on: February 24, 2014, 09:34:29 am »
Both sides - particularly the Mancs - will raise their games massively when we step out at their grounds, add the pressure of the end of season run in (as witnessed yesterday) and all those figures and stats amount to the square root of fuck all.

The first and most important step toward success is the feeling that we can succeed. If LFC supporters have that feeling, and manage to transmit that feeling to the manager and the players, we have every chance of winning the Premier League title this season.

Goals:

Assists:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:36:09 am by Macedonian Red Reborn »

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2585 on: February 24, 2014, 09:38:35 am »
Bit odd to change the thread title, some really difficult games coming up now - still a while before we can start popping open the champagne with regard to Champions League qualification.

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2586 on: February 24, 2014, 09:39:27 am »
To be fair - Not aiming higher then 4th, just trying to keep the place would be such a bad move.
Our current aims is to beat Southampton, after that it will be to win the next game.

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2587 on: February 24, 2014, 09:48:41 am »

Are the Mancs capable of that?  This season they have been consistently average.  Chelsea seems the ones most capable of getting results when needed.  Arsenal always seems on the brink of imploding, but actually never do.  City have shown they are vulnerable too.
Where Liverpool will finish is entirely up to Liverpool.  IF WE ARE TO WIN THE LEAGUE  we will need to beat Chelsea and City.  That leaves us with 1 other point to gain on Chelsea, 2 on city (because of their goal difference and 3 on Arsenal), but Arsenal have to play both of them so in any event some team(s) will lose points.  By the end of March we should be 3rd at least.  If we are not it will be our own fault.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #2588 on: February 24, 2014, 09:51:17 am »
Our current aims is to beat Southampton, after that it will be to win the next game.

Exactly. It's not like Brendan goes "okay, change of plans, we should not aim for 4th, we should aim for 1st, so instead of drawing against Southampton, let's win it".
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #2589 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:08 am »
Lot of optimistic talk about titles and pessimism about dropping out of the top 4. I don't think either's likely, to be honest. 3rd is very possible, and 4th would be a phenomenal achievement in itself.

None of the chasing pack look like doing enough to gain on us in 3 or 4 rounds of fixtures, whilst at least keeping pace in all of the others. They have all got plenty of sticky fixtures themselves, and United and Spurs, for a short while at least, have European football to contend with. Unfortunately, though, I think the title is just out of reach, points wise. It would take a monumental effort to beat both Chelsea and City and probably only being able to afford to drop any points at all in a couple of the other games.

We have enormously progressed and are way, way ahead of target, for which Brendan and his staff and players should take great credit, especially as we are making those strides with such incredible flair and a relatively small squad.

One extremely enjoyable game at a time and see where we finish should be the approach, I would suggest. 
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #2590 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:58 am »

Southampton - W5 D5 L3
Man Utd - W6 D3 L4

Southampton are a good team and Liverpool's away form is patchy.
Manu will always raise their game for us.

Now is not the time to be over confident or arrogant and I'm sure Brendan wont approach the game in such a manner.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2591 on: February 24, 2014, 09:55:18 am »
Exactly. It's not like Brendan goes "okay, change of plans, we should not aim for 4th, we should aim for 1st, so instead of drawing against Southampton, let's win it".
"In game" tactics could change though, depending on targets. He might be less inclined to really go for the throat if drawing late on against United and Spurs if they were close to us, but if 4th is nailed on, opening up and really trying to chase the top 3 might be a risk worth taking.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2592 on: February 24, 2014, 09:57:00 am »
Ive got chelsea imo our biggest threat to 6 4 1 from the last 11 games,  that leaves us needing 26 points to win it!   8  2 1  will do it, got city 2 points behind  chelsea,  i was being positive with chelsea  results,  lets call it  9 1 1 (a tall order)  and its ours....
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline antuan

• Main Stander
« Reply #2593 on: February 24, 2014, 09:57:37 am »

Now is not the time to be over confident or arrogant and I'm sure Brendan wont approach the game in such a manner.

We need to get after both of them in the way we did away at Spuds and home against Everton and Arsenal. If we do they aren't good enough to cope with the fast paced high pressing game. Suffocate them. That'll be six very good points.
Let's twat these twats.

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2594 on: February 24, 2014, 09:57:51 am »

I am not being over confident or arrogant.

I only believe in our manager and our team.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #2595 on: February 24, 2014, 09:59:16 am »
God bless Norwich - good for 6 points and magnificent and plentiful goals, and now they take 3 points off Spurs too. Quickly earning a soft spot in my heart.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2596 on: February 24, 2014, 09:59:48 am »
God bless Norwich - good for 6 points and magnificent and plentiful goals, and now they take 3 points off Spurs too. Quickly earning a soft spot in my heart.

Took 2 points off City as well.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #2597 on: February 24, 2014, 10:00:00 am »

Absolutely. At this stage of the season all games are tough. I know its a cliche but we really need the 1 game at a time mentality. We can beat anyone on our day but we need 11 of those days. Really tough run of games now and the next 3 are potentially season defining. We are capable of 9 but could just as easy get 3. I would bite your hand off for 7 right now because that would leave us firmly in the mix.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2598 on: February 24, 2014, 10:00:49 am »
Ive got chelsea imo our biggest threat to 6 4 1 from the last 11 games,  that leaves us needing 26 points to win it!   8  2 1  will do it, got city 2 points behind  chelsea,  i was being positive with chelsea  results,  lets call it  9 1 1 (a tall order)  and its ours....
I think that's about right, assuming 2 of the 8/9 are winning at home to both Chelsea and City.

It would be incredible form to do that, and is honestly unlikely. Doesn't stop me dreaming, of course, but I think the best thing is to enjoy one game at a time and recognise the phenomenal progress 4th would represent and not repeat the mistakes of the past and put pressure on Brendan and the team to do even better too early.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #2599 on: February 24, 2014, 10:01:22 am »
Next 4 games will decide the season I reckon. 3 away and 1 home to spurs. Come though that with at least a 3 point buffer in place and I reckon that Liverpool should hold onto 4th.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...