Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5748790 times)

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger Gone - Unai Emery appointed
« Reply #51160 on: September 30, 2018, 08:37:46 am »
Title winning form. :lmao

In all fairness they have won 5 and lost to City/Chelsea... We were 3 mins away from losing to Chelsea but for a wonder goal, and we could well lose to City next week.

They're not doing much wrong at the moment, I reckon they'll finish above Utd

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51161 on: September 30, 2018, 08:43:17 am »
In all fairness they have won 5 and lost to City/Chelsea... We were 3 mins away from losing to Chelsea but for a wonder goal, and we could well lose to City next week.

They may well finish above Utd, but title winning form? I mean, come on please ffs!!! The only two good sides they've played they've been beaten by. They were absolutely crap against Everton and they were dire for large parts against Watford yesterday. They MIGHT have an outside chance of finishing top four depending on Spurs, But challenging for the title, I don't think so somehow. Not even the most optimistic gooner would think that. They are miles behind ourselves, City and Chelsea in quality. MILES.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 08:45:51 am by Lycan »
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51162 on: September 30, 2018, 09:16:29 am »
Tittle winning form. People are underestimating them. They are one win away against a big club to get into the mix for the title.

What exactly in their side screams title winning?

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51163 on: September 30, 2018, 09:20:12 am »

;D ;D

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51164 on: September 30, 2018, 09:23:45 am »
Might sound harsh, but I see Arsenal like a Poundland version of Liverpool's 13/14 side at the moment. Dodgy at the back, midfield nothing special, but they have a forward line that can pull them out of the shit.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #51165 on: September 30, 2018, 09:43:13 am »
Tittle winning form. People are underestimating them. They are one win away against a big club to get into the mix for the title.

Arsenal aren't getting anywhere near winning the title mate.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51166 on: September 30, 2018, 10:15:10 am »
What exactly in their side screams title winning?

7 wins in a row - i wouldn't rule them out just yet.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51167 on: September 30, 2018, 10:20:10 am »

7 wins in a row against who?

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51168 on: September 30, 2018, 10:24:26 am »

7 wins in a row against who?

Watford
Brentford
Everton
Vorskla
Newcastle
Cardiff
West Ham

Some real heavyweights there. I can see why he thinks they might mount a title challenge.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51169 on: September 30, 2018, 10:25:54 am »
Yeah, as I said, they aren't getting anywhere near a title challenge. And to be fair, I don't think any Arsenal fan expects them to either. Top four could be possible though.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 10:28:19 am by Solomon Grundy »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #51170 on: September 30, 2018, 10:37:01 am »
Don't think they'll get anywhere near top 4 myself.

Quite a few of their games have been on TV this season, and they really don't look good at all. My mates a Watford fan and streamed their game yesterday whilst I was at work so watched that, and they were very fortunate Watford were so wasteful. Same as against Everton and even Cardiff and Newcastle. These aren't good teams.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51171 on: September 30, 2018, 10:46:36 am »
Don't think they'll get anywhere near top 4 myself.

Quite a few of their games have been on TV this season, and they really don't look good at all. My mates a Watford fan and streamed their game yesterday whilst I was at work so watched that, and they were very fortunate Watford were so wasteful. Same as against Everton and even Cardiff and Newcastle. These aren't good teams.

I've not been impressed with them so far either to be honest. That's why I find Rick-40's shout's of them being title contenders rather amusing. :D I was just being kind saying the COULD get top four.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51172 on: September 30, 2018, 11:09:21 am »
Haha, titles FFS! We're miles behind City & Liverpool. Then I think it's all about form or momentum between us, Spurs & Chelsea. I think Utd on paper should be better than us but thankfully they are in Jose self destruct mode & he doesn't comes back from that.

So the main hope this season is that we improve as the season goes on, perhaps become slightly more solid defensively if Koscielny comes back unscathed, & somehow hope we scrape into top 4. If not, Emery somehow manages another Europa League win. Anything else is laughable.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #51173 on: September 30, 2018, 11:20:08 am »
Impressed with Watford's play yesterday. They were on top of the game, creating chance after chance.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51174 on: September 30, 2018, 11:51:16 am »
Impressed with Watford's play yesterday. They were on top of the game, creating chance after chance.

Certainly were a bit unlucky, so dont think their position in the league just now is a false position. Think yesterday was their first game they didn't score in this season.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51175 on: September 30, 2018, 12:00:24 pm »
I actually do hope they do well. The more good teams there are the better for us in terms of giving City a game.

But unfortunately they got their arses handed to them by City.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51176 on: September 30, 2018, 01:43:00 pm »
One hand on the trophy already.
To be fair, we are creating a lot ourselves too, our games this season have been and to end and our forwards have had their shooting boots on. This isn't even Emerys team yet and every fan would have taken a top 4 challenge in the summer.
Starting to look forward to games again. 

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51177 on: September 30, 2018, 01:52:54 pm »
This graph from the APLT thread suggests title winning FORM (basically a straight line is title winning form, and a line parallel to the 71 point line is top 4 form):

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51178 on: September 30, 2018, 01:53:19 pm »

I'll have whatever you're smoking or are on.

Top 4 form, for sure, but with this side they aren't challenging for the title.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #51179 on: September 30, 2018, 07:15:01 pm »
They’re an odd lot this arsenal team..

They have some good ability to attack and score goals. But I never see them play and see them have any control of the game...

They always look like they are on the verge of collapsing and being over run if things don’t quite go for them ....

Will be interesting to see how Emery does with them now...  He’s not done too badly for a start
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51180 on: September 30, 2018, 07:28:44 pm »
They aren't doing much different to what they've been doing in previous seasons at the moment. Getting beat off the good sides and beating the mid-table/relegation fodder. Same old Arsenal that really. They only difference is they aren't quite beating the shit teams as convincingly as they have done in the past. It's all early days for Emery of course and we can't really judge him yet. But he's doing o.k so far in my opinion. It's definitely helped he's got two players in Lacazette and Aubameyang who are capable of scoring at the top level and pulling them out of the shit when they haven't been playing well at all though.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #51181 on: September 30, 2018, 08:46:00 pm »
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51182 on: September 30, 2018, 10:54:27 pm »
Watford
Brentford
Everton
Vorskla
Newcastle
Cardiff
West Ham

Some real heavyweights there. I can see why he thinks they might mount a title challenge.

That's why i said "one win away against a big club to get into the mix". I didn't say they will definitely win the title. They have quite an easy but tricky run in the next three games ( Fulham, Leicester and Crystal). Then the real test comes against Us.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #51183 on: October 1, 2018, 01:26:38 am »
They’ll finish 4th behind us city and Chelsea this season

5th spurs, 6th Wolves, 7th United

:wave

That’s a bit of a mad shout. You really think Manchester Untied will rise to seventh?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51184 on: October 1, 2018, 05:18:14 am »
« Last Edit: October 1, 2018, 05:26:19 am by Lycan »

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51185 on: October 1, 2018, 05:26:07 am »
That's why i said "one win away against a big club to get into the mix". I didn't say they will definitely win the title. They have quite an easy but tricky run in the next three games ( Fulham, Leicester and Crystal). Then the real test comes against Us.

I'll end it here: You said don't count them out of the mix for the title. I'm saying there isn't a cat in hells chance of them competing for the title with that squad. You're obviously basing your prediction on them winning 7 games in a row, but when you see the 7 games they've won and think back to how they played in some of those 7 games, I really don't know where you're basing this confidence that they can challenge on. Not even the most optimistic Arsenal fan in the world would even believe they'll challenge for the title. Even if they somehow manage to beat us they won't challenge for it. Top four maybe yeah, but not league title winners. And I don't think anyone else will agree with you either.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2018, 05:28:42 am by Lycan »

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51186 on: October 1, 2018, 10:17:27 am »
Rick-40 is obviously a genius who understands football.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51187 on: October 1, 2018, 10:44:57 am »

I'll end it here: You said don't count them out of the mix for the title. I'm saying there isn't a cat in hells chance of them competing for the title with that squad. You're obviously basing your prediction on them winning 7 games in a row, but when you see the 7 games they've won and think back to how they played in some of those 7 games, I really don't know where you're basing this confidence that they can challenge on. Not even the most optimistic Arsenal fan in the world would even believe they'll challenge for the title. Even if they somehow manage to beat us they won't challenge for it. Top four maybe yeah, but not league title winners. And I don't think anyone else will agree with you either.

I'm not making predictions or making big statements, it's more  pub talk, so it's not a problem if you don't agree.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51188 on: October 1, 2018, 11:41:30 am »
I'll have what Rick is smoking. Most Arsenal fans seem to be willing to give Emery a pass this season, with a potential of re-assessing in January, where we probably need to offload Ramsey and find a new CM and winger.  A new style of play was always going to look disjointed early on, so anything better than top 6 would be a pleasant surprise.

Being able to grind out results whilst playing poorly is more the side being able to stay in the game and slowly work better defensively as a unit - the more the side learns how to do that, those 4-3 losses against good teams turn in to 3-2 wins.   Emery reportedly doesn't have a "pretty" attacking style but loves a hard working defensive unit, harrying up the pitch and then countering quickly - a style which currently works well against even-or-better sides and in cup football.  Having the players and fans "buy in" is far more important to the club than any single season result because of that. 

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51189 on: October 1, 2018, 11:45:13 am »
Chelsea and City aren't good sides?

Perhaps they are but you don't need to beat them off. ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #51190 on: October 1, 2018, 11:55:35 am »
Perhaps they are but you don't need to beat them off. ;)

Precisely... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51191 on: October 1, 2018, 12:57:28 pm »
As I mentioned earlier, Emery's biggest challenge and test will be during December and January, and getting used to preparing for matches ever two/three days for a prolonged period of time without any breaks.

It took Klopp time to adapt and learn from it, and I believe he will be no different.

Arsenal also don't have the depth to properly rotate and not have a drop off in quality

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #51192 on: October 1, 2018, 04:12:29 pm »

You might not want to rule them out of finishing in the top four, though I can't see them amassing more points than Tottenham personally. But the title? They're a long way short of that.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51193 on: October 1, 2018, 04:33:37 pm »
You've done surprisingly well with this little gem. Congratulations  :)
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #51194 on: October 1, 2018, 07:31:23 pm »
It’s getting exciting ahead of schedule, Leno looked good today too. We got 3 winnable games followed by Liverpool Wolves and Spurs which are tough, after that we got the easiest 6 points of the season in Huddersfield and Man Utd, should stay in the mix heading to Christmas.
Almost right, the easist 6 points are utd home and away.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51195 on: October 2, 2018, 10:56:12 am »
Almost right, the easist 6 points are utd home and away.

This is Arsenal though, we are probably thought of as Utd's easiest 6 points, regardless of how both teams are playing.  :-[

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51196 on: October 2, 2018, 12:31:11 pm »
This is Arsenal though, we are probably thought of as Utd's easiest 6 points, regardless of how both teams are playing.  :-[

I'll never forget that Moyes' united side, so woeful against any decent team, still somehow managed to win against us that season - the only top 6 side they actually won against if I remember correctly.  The hilarious thing was Arsenal dominated the game, and yet managed to get done on the counter.  More predictable than death and taxes.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51197 on: October 7, 2018, 07:50:37 pm »
2 points off top spot. Its on lads ..

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51198 on: October 7, 2018, 08:15:22 pm »

I'll never forget that Moyes' united side, so woeful against any decent team, still somehow managed to win against us that season - the only top 6 side they actually won against if I remember correctly.  The hilarious thing was Arsenal dominated the game, and yet managed to get done on the counter.  More predictable than death and taxes.

Indeed. The game against them at The Emirates last season still haunts me to this day!

2 points off top spot. Its on lads ..

;D ;D

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51199 on: October 8, 2018, 11:07:05 am »
Adidas been confirmed from next season, double what Puma currently pay so £60M per year for 5 years.