Author Topic: PL : Forest 0 v Liverpool 1 Nunez 98'  (Read 36121 times)

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
PL : Forest 0 v Liverpool 1 Nunez 98'
« on: March 2, 2024, 02:06:59 pm »
Must win. Tricky away fixture. Threadbare squad. We need to keep momentum in this, our manager's swansong season. Forest, hovering just above the drop zone, are desperate for points.

Alright, I've gotten the cliches out of the way, now settle in while I tell you the tale of one Vivian Alexander Anderson.

Forest, for our more youthful members or those recently come to the sport, were something of a phenomenon in the late 1970s. Under the guidance of Brian Clough, their irascible, pigheaded, alcoholic showman of a manager, they won the European Cup in 1979 and then remarkably did it again the year after. That was the competition that would become the Champions League, the premier European battleground. You may recall we won it a few times around then.

Key to their success was Viv Anderson, a young black English defender who had signed as an apprentice just before Clough arrived. The new manager recognised talent and Anderson became a regular at a time when black players were not regular. He was greeted with bananas and other fruit during a warm up before one game. Clough apparently told him to go back out there and get him two pears and a banana. He also told him ‘You let people like that dictate to you, you’re not going to make it as a footballer. We’re going to pick somebody else.’ Not too many safe spaces back then.

Anderson was picked for England in 1978 and went on to play thirty times for his country. There is some argument but most people seem to accept that he was the first black player to play for England in a senior game, albeit a friendly. On his debut, he got personal telegrams from the Queen and Elton John. Folks, you have no idea what a big deal this was, in an era where there were maybe a dozen black players in the top division. It seems ridiculous from our modern balcony but England then, and by extension English football, was a white dominated place, and one where other colour folks were generally thought of as somewhat undesirable or suspect. I imagine the rest of Europe was little different. Liverpool wouldn't field their first black player, Howard Gayle, until 1980.

I remember the attitudes, they're lazy, they don't get tactics, they don't like it in the bad weather and the likes of Viv Anderson and Laurie Cunningham and Cyrille Regis and a few others just...got on with it. Think of how it must have felt for a young black or brown kid at the time, to see someone like them on tv, playing for England, getting telegrams from the Queen, the feeling of being proud and validated and seen. I could do that. I could be a footballer, because Viv Anderson is brilliant and he looks like me. Anderson, in turn, had his own inspiration. “There was only ever one black face on the television playing football – a lad called Clyde Best at West Ham in the 1960s. Every time Match of the Day came on, Clyde Best would be there. I thought ‘yes, I could be like him’.”

Anderson was a fine player. Elegant, rangy, tough tackling and a scorer of some thumping goals. He was on the PFA Team of the Year twice, at right back. He was Alex Ferguson's first signing when he got the United job and we won't hold that against him. But he will be mostly remembered for the colour of his skin. That's the fate of people who push boundaries. They become known for the boundary, instead of the person they were. Well, he's still with us, leading a quiet and hopefully happy life in some leafy suburb somewhere so if by any chance this makes it there, here's to you, Mr Anderson.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2024, 04:56:32 pm by jillcwhomever »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL : Forest v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2024, 02:08:01 pm »

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2024, 02:08:33 pm »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2024, 03:01:00 pm »
0 underway at the city ground
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2024, 03:04:18 pm »
Leon Osman doing my head in already
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2024, 03:04:40 pm »
Origi seems to be playing on the right of the Forest attack.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #6 on: March 2, 2024, 03:06:12 pm »
It’s really early but we are looking very sharp

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2024, 03:07:28 pm »
My stream is dodgy bear with me!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 2, 2024, 03:08:39 pm »
7 so odd to see Origi against us I have to say

A bright start but not much goalmouth action
W

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 2, 2024, 03:09:43 pm »
Virgil was down early from an elbow, and I’ve seen a couple of crosses from us that’s it

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #10 on: March 2, 2024, 03:10:35 pm »
Virgil was down early from an elbow, and I’ve seen a couple of crosses from us that’s it

look for a Peacock stream if you can

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2024, 03:11:40 pm »
look for a Peacock stream if you can
Persian Sport seems a winner right now - who knew?!

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 2, 2024, 03:11:54 pm »
10 not much of anything at either end right now.  Still a battle for control of the game
W

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #13 on: March 2, 2024, 03:12:30 pm »
Persian Sport seems a winner right now - who knew?!
those good old Iranians

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 2, 2024, 03:12:59 pm »
11 free kick out inthe right for Forest, it’s a dangerous ball in but Kelleher claims well
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 2, 2024, 03:13:20 pm »
Robbo and Diaz not quite in sync with each other yet. Couple of through balls that have gone awry

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #16 on: March 2, 2024, 03:13:26 pm »
I'm about 90 seconds behind Tepid but it's stable so not going to change for the moment

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 2, 2024, 03:14:49 pm »
13. Forest player down in our area after a collision with Konate as he headed clear

Back under way now.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 2, 2024, 03:16:00 pm »
14 Forest break and Origi shoots just wide from the edge of the area. Keeper had it covered though
W

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 2, 2024, 03:16:05 pm »
NO DIVOCK that’s too close

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 2, 2024, 03:16:39 pm »
Over to Duuva for hopefully some action!
W

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #21 on: March 2, 2024, 03:17:05 pm »
13. Forest player down in our area after a collision with Konate as he headed clear

Back under way now.

holding his face after getting the merest of touches to the back of his head

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 2, 2024, 03:17:07 pm »
Good shot by Origi but he skews it past the post. Kelleher looked like he had it covered had it been on target but one can never be sure.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 2, 2024, 03:17:15 pm »
NO DIVOCK that’s too close

He fooled Robbo there.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 2, 2024, 03:17:30 pm »
15 Thought we got a corner with Clark and Neco challenging but it’s a GK

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 2, 2024, 03:18:02 pm »

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 2, 2024, 03:18:48 pm »
16 Good move, side to side Robbo plays it to Diaz edge of the area - deflected wide for a corner

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 2, 2024, 03:19:32 pm »
Origi is playing really deep for them.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 2, 2024, 03:19:52 pm »
15 Thought we got a corner with Clark and Neco challenging but it’s a GK
It was a corner, the ref missed it.
W

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 2, 2024, 03:19:56 pm »
17 corner cleared but we regain possession Clark crosses across the box it’s put behind but a GK is given

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 2, 2024, 03:21:03 pm »
19 Great cross by Robbo GK and defender panic but get it away

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 2, 2024, 03:21:22 pm »
Whooof - so close. If Murillo misses that then Cody buries it. Brilliant ball in by Robbo

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 2, 2024, 03:21:30 pm »
We need to get balls into the box they have conceded quite a few goals that way.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 2, 2024, 03:22:51 pm »
Signs we’re beginning to gain a foothold with nice link ups down the left with Robbo, Clark and Diaz but no real chances yet

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 2, 2024, 03:23:42 pm »
Great save by Kelleher

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 2, 2024, 03:24:38 pm »
Alisson who?  That’s a top level save.
W

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 2, 2024, 03:24:49 pm »
22 great move from Harvey and Clark down the left cross is met but not steered goalward then Forest are clear - great stop by Kelleher

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 2, 2024, 03:25:44 pm »
23 Clark with a curling effort from the edge of the box just over

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 2, 2024, 03:26:13 pm »
22 great move from Harvey and Clark down the left cross is met but not steered goalward then Forest are clear - great stop by Kelleher
A VAR line might have ruled it offside but a superb save nonetheless

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 2, 2024, 03:26:47 pm »
25 Bradley plays Diaz in, out for a corner to us