Author Topic: Tervor Sinclair sentenced to community service for racially abusing police.  (Read 2385 times)

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
The BBC has ditched the former England footballer Trevor Sinclair as a pundit after he racially abused a police officer who had arrested him for drink-driving.

Sinclair has been a regular analyst on Football Focus and Match of the Day since retiring from the game in 2008 but the BBC said he was employed on a freelance basis and it had “no scheduled plans to use him on our programmes”.

The anti-racism charity Kick It Out said racism was “even more regrettable and unacceptable when it is perpetrated by individuals who should know better”. Sinclair has worked for another campaign group, Show Racism The Red Card.

Lord Ouseley, the chair of Kick It Out, said: “Trevor has proved to be a popular and successful role model in the past for the next generation of football players and supporters, and will no doubt wish to take the necessary steps to ensure that he never abuses again.”

Sinclair, 44, pleaded guilty on Tuesday to drink-driving and a racially aggravated public order offence on 12 November last year. He was sentenced to 150 hours of community service for the public order offence and handed a 20-month driving ban.

The prosecution dropped other charges including assault on a police officer, failing to provide a specimen and criminal damage.

Sinclair was arrested after being found to be more than twice the legal drink-drive limit, Blackpool magistrates court heard. Sinclair asked the arresting officer if he was being arrested because he was black, accused the police of racism and urinated in a police car. He continued making racist comments after he was taken to the cells at Blackpool police station.

Nick Freeman, representing Sinclair, said the catalyst for his behaviour that night was being subjected to racism in front of his family while out having a meal hours earlier. Freeman said a woman had approached Sinclair, patted him on the head and called him a “little chocolate man”.

Jim Mowbray, prosecuting, said that at 8.45pm on 12 November police were alerted to an incident at Sinclair’s home address and were told he had left in his Tesla car and he may have been drinking.

Patrols looking for him found his car stopped in the middle of the road in Clifton Drive, Blackpool, after it had been in collision with a woman who had stepped into Sinclair’s path after getting out of a taxi.

In a statement read to the court, PC Gareth Evans said: “I asked Mr Sinclair what had happened. It appeared to me he was drunk, unsteady on his feet and his eyes were glazed.”

Sinclair was given a roadside breath test and was found to be twice over the drink-driving limit, giving a reading of 72 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, with the limit being 35mg.

Sinclair was cautioned and arrested and a secure van was requested to attend. His behaviour then changed, the court heard.

Evans said in his statement: “Before his arrest he was very calm, polite and courteous. [Then] he started asking if it was because he was black. He started getting more confrontational, he was getting more aggressive. I did not like the direction the conversation was going in – he was accusing me of being racist. He began to become more agitated and aggressive.”

During a search the officer discovered Sinclair’s trousers were wet and that he had urinated while sitting in the police car.

When Sinclair was put in the back of the police van, he called the officer a “white …” followed by a swear word as the van doors slammed, the court was told.

Sinclair made further racist comments while in the back of the van and continued to be “obnoxious, aggressive and racist while being booked in”.

Evans’ statement concluded: “Sinclair’s behaviour following his arrest was awful. I’m not a racist. His behaviour was extremely racist.”

The district judge Jeff Brailsford told Sinclair: “In a truly civilised society racism has absolutely no place whatsoever. You have worked long hours to try to eradicate what is a real scourge in society. It’s also to enormous credit the work you do to try to get rid of racism.

“I don’t know how anybody copes with that sort of thing and comes through it unmarked. So it is particularly sad when events unfolded that night, the words you used that night. I’m confident, from all the things I have heard, you are unlikely to be troubling the police and courts again.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/02/ex-england-star-trevor-sinclair-admits-drink-driving-and-racial-abuse
« Last Edit: January 3, 2018, 08:43:46 pm by Alan_X »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Tided up and link added. Opened again for comment. Keep it civil or this gets locked.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Who was the woman who patted him on the head and called him a chocolate man? Where was the restaurant the incident happened?

I'm assuming this happened in Lytham which is a bit olde worlde but I'd be shocked someone being so up front obnoxious.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Sounds like he's on the spectrum

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Who was the woman who patted him on the head and called him a chocolate man? Where was the restaurant the incident happened?

I'm assuming this happened in Lytham which is a bit olde worlde but I'd be shocked someone being so up front obnoxious.

It's only an argument the defence put forward, there's no suggestion in the article it was considered to be true (I think). Be interested to find out what time they said this dinner was, if he was home and causing trouble at 8:45pm when the call to police was made.

Kick it out have crazy media connections, lots of people seem to pull strings for them. The article on a man's arrest leads with their comments, and he didn't even work for them! Really odd
« Last Edit: January 3, 2018, 10:10:46 pm by Classycara »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
It's only an argument the defence put forward, there's no suggestion in the article it was considered to be true (I think). Be interested to find out what time they said this dinner was, if he was home and causing trouble at 8:45pm when the call to police was made.

Kick it out have crazy media connections, lots of people seem to pull strings for them. The article on a man's arrest leads with their comments, and he didn't even work for them! Really odd

The mitigation was put forward by Loophole Nick so.....

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
Ambassador for anti-racism charity reveals hidden racist beliefs. Shocker.

Has this bell end been hung out to dry by Ousley or any of the other hypocrites that pretend to give a shit but are actually just following their own agenda to increase their profile?

He should have been denounced by Kick It Out before any of the media outlets were able to publish the story. BBC should sack him too (although he's got a long history of being shit at his job with them and still gets paid).

How effective can an organisation be when they have people who get prosecuted for the exact thing they are meant to be fighting against?

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
I don’t really feel like I would have been a victim of racism if someone called me a “white ...”.

Racism is about context, especially historically and socially (economically too?).  When have us ‘whites’ been subjected to oppression or been a minority in this country? 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don’t really feel like I would have been a victim of racism if someone called me a “white ...”.

Racism is about context, especially historically and socially (economically too?).  When have us ‘whites’ been subjected to oppression or been a minority in this country? 

Aside from those things, racism is also about considering races to be inferior/superior, and treating people differently based on their race. Something Sinclair clearly did. Agree with you though, context is always important - though it also says the officer was subjected to more racist remarks and Sinclair pleaded guilty to saying racist things.

I think I get the point you're getting at, and obviously you're talking in good faith and only about what you'd consider if it happened to you (and not generalising). But, ironically enough, in implying that people of one race perhaps can't be on the receiving end of racism based on historical context, that would be treating people differently on account of their race. And might go against received wisdom with regards to equality.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2018, 01:56:09 pm by Classycara »

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Aside from those things, racism is also about considering races to be inferior/superior, and treating people differently based on their race. Something Sinclair clearly did. Agree with you though, context is always important - though it also says the officer was subjected to more racist remarks and Sinclair pleaded guilty to saying racist things.

I think I get the point you're getting at, and obviously you're talking in good faith and only about what you'd consider if it happened to you (and not generalising). But, ironically enough, in implying that people of one race perhaps can't be on the receiving end of racism based on historical context, that would be treating people differently on account of their race. And might go against received wisdom with regards to equality.

Yeah, I’m just taking about how I’d feel.  If the officer subjected to it feels victimised then fair enough.  To me, it’s not just words that form the basis of racism. 

I’ve never been called a “white ...” I don’t think.  I’ve actually been called a Paki and, in Australia, a wog (I was very tanned at the time).  That might have something to do with my propensity to tan and my beard.  But because I’m none of those, the words were meaningless to me.  I’d feel the same if someone called me a white bastard. 

I get what you say about equality.  We can’t have a one-way system of racism where it’s ok to abuse a white officer, or any person, because of ‘colour’. 

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sounds like he's on the spectrum

What does that mean ?

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
What does that mean ?

He hasn’t upgraded his computer since 1989.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
What does that mean ?

He is intimating that it sounds like he is in the Autistic Spectrum. I am not remotely convinced. He sounds more like a hypocritical knob to me.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
He hasn’t upgraded his computer since 1989.

Not necessarily, he could have one of these:
http://sinclair.recreatedzxspectrum.com/index.php

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
He is intimating that it sounds like he is in the Autistic Spectrum. I am not remotely convinced. He sounds more like a hypocritical knob to me.
It was more of a shit ZX pun to be honest.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It was more of a shit ZX pun to be honest.
I got it first time mate, must be an age thing.  :)
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
I remember feeling very sorry for Sinclair (and Emile Heskey) as one day I got a ticket with a mate in the west ham away end back in Geds day. The abuse from the WH stands was dreadful, the most disgusting stuff I ever heard at a match. Emile was getting mouthfuls and the crowd and nearby steward were just laughing at it, I was furious but had no choice unless the hospital was the next stop. Sinclair was also within earshot of all this shit and I could see that he was visibly hurt by it - your own "fans" how the fuck wouldn't you be. Not an excuse for his recent behaviour. BTW Owen came on as a sub and the crowd went oh shit and he scored the winner. I hate WH because of that "experience".