Author Topic: Chelsea FC  (Read 340908 times)

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chelsea FC - Sponsored by “The Liquidator"
« Reply #27000 on: July 24, 2022, 08:21:46 am »
Just watched the highlights - Tuchel’s comments about his side not being willing to commit to Arsenal’s effort levels isn’t just correct, it’s a huge understatement.

Not sure whether that’s evidence of them not being match sharp yet having started training a bit later, or a true problem within the camp because there just seemed to be no effort there. And not ‘I don’t want to get injured in a friendly’ lack of effort, more downing tools levels.

Thing is, Tuchel has the power to not play these players that want to leave. Might be a good starting point!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #27001 on: July 24, 2022, 08:23:20 am »
Thing is, Tuchel has the power to not play these players that want to leave. Might be a good starting point!
That one seems to have escaped him when throwing them under the bus. He will either wrestle back control with a fairly cut-throat glut of sales late in the window, or he’ll implode this season.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27002 on: July 24, 2022, 08:47:07 am »
Can you read that much into pre-season though?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #27003 on: July 24, 2022, 10:40:06 am »
Can you read that much into pre-season though?

Read his interview though, he is questioning a lot of player's attitudes. Do you think Klopp would put up with our players lacking effort and stuff. Of course, it's not wise to dismiss them but by the very fact he is going in so hard now, indicates he has real concerns about a number of players.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #27004 on: July 24, 2022, 10:55:04 am »

This was their team: Chelsea: Mendy; James (Hudson-Odoi 73), Chalobah (Sarr 44), Thiago Silva (Koulibaly 73), Emerson (Alonso h/t), Gallagher (Kovacic h/t), Jorginho (c) (Ampadu 73), Mount (Ziyech 64), Sterling (Pulisic h/t), Havertz (Batshuayi 64), Werner (Azpilicueta h/t).

I doubt those looking to leave started the game, maybe 1 or 2 and then a couple of the subs.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #27005 on: July 24, 2022, 01:14:51 pm »
Adam Newson
@AdamNewson

Tuchel: "I saw a team in Arsenal who are mentally committed to a level of exhaustion that we could not match physically and mentally because we have a lot of players who are thinking about leaving and looking at their options." #CFC

And also:

Tuchel on lack of goal threat: "We have the same issues because we have the same players.”

He says stuff like that then whinges about players wanting out and about needing to buy more new players, and he wonders why some of the players’ priorities is leaving.

It’s very much Tuchel’s way though, he gets it in his head that he wants certain players, and be damned those already there. He’s already got Sterling in, and despite struggles for a couple of them, the group of attackers he has there is significantly more talented than much of the league.  A less egotisical coach would get far more out of what he had at his disposal. 

Offline Enraged

• Boys Pen
« Reply #27006 on: July 24, 2022, 01:16:44 pm »
What a moaning twat he's spend 100's of million get on with the job just look at Klopp 1st few seasons wheeling and dealing in the market.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27007 on: July 24, 2022, 01:43:51 pm »
What a moaning twat he's spend 100's of million get on with the job just look at Klopp 1st few seasons wheeling and dealing in the market.
Chequebook manager.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27008 on: July 24, 2022, 02:35:41 pm »
he constantly behaves like a spoled child.  totally incapable of any leadership or man-management.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27009 on: July 24, 2022, 03:45:36 pm »
And also:

Tuchel on lack of goal threat: "We have the same issues because we have the same players.”

He says stuff like that then whinges about players wanting out and about needing to buy more new players, and he wonders why some of the players’ priorities is leaving.

It’s very much Tuchel’s way though, he gets it in his head that he wants certain players, and be damned those already there. He’s already got Sterling in, and despite struggles for a couple of them, the group of attackers he has there is significantly more talented than much of the league.  A less egotisical coach would get far more out of what he had at his disposal.
If Abramovich was still in charge, you'd feel his sacking would be inevitable over the course of the season.

He's got a lot more leeway to make demands with an inexperienced ownership group.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #27010 on: July 24, 2022, 03:52:04 pm »
It’s not demands, he’s literally doing what I expect Conte will do at some point this season and setting up a ‘please sack me’ situation, so he can go to Real/PSG/Inter
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27011 on: July 24, 2022, 04:40:28 pm »
I for one am stunned that a setup whereby the manager, playing and coaching staff are only there because of the obscene amounts of money on offer is now falling apart shortly after the source of that obscene amount of money fucked off.

Absolutely stunned.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #27012 on: July 24, 2022, 05:07:42 pm »
It’s not demands, he’s literally doing what I expect Conte will do at some point this season and setting up a ‘please sack me’ situation, so he can go to Real/PSG/Inter

He's already done his time at PSG, I would doubt he'd want to go back there.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27013 on: July 24, 2022, 05:09:11 pm »
If Abramovich was still in charge, you'd feel his sacking would be inevitable over the course of the season.

He's got a lot more leeway to make demands with an inexperienced ownership group.

Hopefully it's 3rd season Mourinho territory. He doesn't seem a longevity manager.

He'll be regretting signing that extension just before Abramavich fucked off and be eyeing up his next job.

He is a top end coach though. He's kept them competitive since Lampard was shite there.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27014 on: July 24, 2022, 05:31:56 pm »

Tuchel will be hoping Nagelsmann underwhelms again this year and Bayern sack him.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #27015 on: July 24, 2022, 08:48:00 pm »
Something doesn’t add up here though. The press have been briefed repeatedly that Tuchel now has a say in transfers unlike before where Roman and Marina didn’t give a shit what the manager wanted. They’ve also clearly been spending if the reported fees and wages for their completed transfers are anywhere near accurate. Due to the weather issues for the ManC game I ended up watching some of this game and while I’m not going to waste brain power analyzing a preseason game it reminded me of our ManU game where any mistake led to a goal but overall the play wasn’t bad.

Unless there’s another shoe to drop I wouldn’t be so quick to right these off, think this is more motivational than anything else. Tuchel seems pretty strange so he may think this is all fine to say.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27016 on: July 25, 2022, 02:10:00 am »
Tuchel taking zero accountability and throwing his players under the bus? Just par the course for him. Happened at Dortmund and PSG, he always shifts blame on to others.

I called it that this was a massive transition period and it very much seems like hes going to lose the dressing room like he has done before

Very much think there is a spot open in the Top 4 for either Arsenal or Utd if they are up to it. Think Spurs easily get Top 3, think Spurs will be like Chelsea last season. Not challenging for the title but comfortable holding down 3rd.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27017 on: July 25, 2022, 02:13:21 am »
Read his interview though, he is questioning a lot of player's attitudes. Do you think Klopp would put up with our players lacking effort and stuff. Of course, it's not wise to dismiss them but by the very fact he is going in so hard now, indicates he has real concerns about a number of players.

Difference is Klopp would handle it behind the scenes, not in front of the media

Doing it with the media is basically preemptively shifting blame so he can go "See I told you so, this is why we are struggling"

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27018 on: July 25, 2022, 04:05:18 am »
He might have a point if they’re not signing players but they’ve spent as much money as anyone, on a team that already finished 3rd and got to 2 finals. I’ve no doubt by the time the window shuts they’ll have more players in and be the biggest spenders this window. They’ve also got loan players like Broja and Gallagher. He’s hardly managing with restraints, nothing Chelsea can do about players wanting to play for Barca instead of a plastic club. Maybe when Roman  was there he’d dip behind the sofa and they’d double the wages on offer then wonder how good their team is. Those days are gone, managers have to manage now and while he did well being the neutral spokesman when Roman was selling the club and Ukraine getting invaded, he’s not a neutral observer anymore, needs to get back to his role as manager.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27019 on: July 25, 2022, 08:24:15 am »
Something doesn’t add up here though. The press have been briefed repeatedly that Tuchel now has a say in transfers unlike before where Roman and Marina didn’t give a shit what the manager wanted. They’ve also clearly been spending if the reported fees and wages for their completed transfers are anywhere near accurate. Due to the weather issues for the ManC game I ended up watching some of this game and while I’m not going to waste brain power analyzing a preseason game it reminded me of our ManU game where any mistake led to a goal but overall the play wasn’t bad.

Unless there’s another shoe to drop I wouldn’t be so quick to right these off, think this is more motivational than anything else. Tuchel seems pretty strange so he may think this is all fine to say.

I certainly wouldn't write them off, I'd just hope that it's downhill from here with Tuchel, given how well he did in his first year. He does seem a more short term fix manager which Chelsea regularly employ.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27020 on: July 25, 2022, 09:35:34 am »
The Everton vs. Chelsea game on the opening day is going to be like the equivalent of the under 5s egg and spoon race with the fans of the victors proclaiming themselves favourites for the 100m sprint.  The manager of the losing side will publicly flog his players for their lack of effort.

Something to look forward to.  I just hope it's not a face-saving draw.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27021 on: July 25, 2022, 09:48:41 am »

Yeah if I was you, I wouldnt ;)

It was nothing like us against United, that literally was a freak. Our XG in that game was I think 1.7 for us to 1.5 to them, more possesion, more shots, more corners etc etc, in this one Arsenal were 2.5 to 0.2 i.e Chelsea literally didn't have a single clear cut chance. More possession, more shots on and off target, battered in every aspect of the game. The only thing you're right about is that it was pre-season so you can't make TOO drastic proclamations about it.

He's doing what a lot of chequebook managers do. Already setting himself up as separate from the club. They've not signed the players I want, they've not sold the players I want, the players that are here obviously aren't good enough, we need more etc etc. It being motivational is pretty funny. He's spent the last year pretty much dismantling any confidence Werner might have had, he's got to a point with Pulisic that his dad is trying to get him out of the club, he literally ran Lukaku out of the club (and say what you like, he's always been a good PL striker if not £100 million worth), he's been giving it the 'I want to keep Broja' which is obviously bollocks because he's crap.... but you think saying "We have the same issues because we have the same players.” is some clever motivational ploy? :D

Their squad looks the same sort of level as Spurs right now, slightly better than Arsenal. But thats including seemingly a lot of players the manager doesn't fancy. They've got questions marks probably over half their squad.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27022 on: July 25, 2022, 10:46:56 am »
With the season starting relatively early this year, we should probably expect a fair few teams to stumble unexpectedly early doors. We have to make sure we're not one of them, but as an aside, the adage "it's just pre-season" doesn't quite cut it this year.

The season starts in 13 days. Twelve for Arsenal/Palace.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27023 on: July 25, 2022, 11:23:39 am »
Does that management style ever work though? Tuchel, Conte and Mourinho all love antagonizing players and owners and it invariably falls apart. Has any Manager had long term success doing that?

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #27024 on: July 25, 2022, 11:27:13 am »
Does that management style ever work though? Tuchel, Conte and Mourinho all love antagonizing players and owners and it invariably falls apart. Has any Manager had long term success doing that?

In their bank accounts? yes.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27025 on: July 25, 2022, 11:30:03 am »
Difference is Klopp would handle it behind the scenes, not in front of the media

Doing it with the media is basically preemptively shifting blame so he can go "See I told you so, this is why we are struggling"

It’s very much his way.

The stuff he’s come out with this week is the Thomas Tuchel of BVB. Chelsea fans have been charmed with him up till this pre-season, but now they have got a taste for who he really is. I see plenty of them still holding onto the ‘he’s being honest’, ‘he’s saying what needs to be said’ and going with that as some sort of positive. And while there can be a truth in that, but he does it without taking an ounce of responsibility.

The comment he made about the lack of goals is dumfounding to be honest, ("We have the same issues because we have the same players.”).

When he arrived at Chelsea, the forwards available to him where Giroud, Werner, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi, Ziyech and Pulisic. Then Havertz and Mount as attacking midfielders, both already with good goal-scoring records from that position.

That is a group of players most PL teams bar the couple obvious ones, would love to have at their disposal. Yet the only one who’s pushed on under him, is Kai Havertz. And I don’t even think it’s that he’s ‘improved’ him so much, as anyone who saw a lot of him knows what natural talent he has. But at least he found a role for him in the team that really worked.

He didn’t fancy Abraham, and alienated him within the squad within weeks. He’s not been able to improve Werner’s mindset or confidence. Pulisic he gets a pass on due to him having so many injures and then covid breaks. He also was happy to see Abraham sold and replaced by Lukaku, who he then also alientates and pushes out the door at the first opportunity.  And in Sterling he already had a new £50m forward, so again, he’s been handed an expensive piece to add to his squad.

If as he says his team is ‘not ready’ for the start of the season, then that is on him. Sure, with this weird world cup season coming up, not ideal - but that goes for many teams, not just his.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 11:31:58 am by Dim Glas »

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #27026 on: July 25, 2022, 11:32:14 am »

Think you could argue that past names like Clough, Ferguson etc., were like that to varying degrees.
What's your pleasure?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27027 on: July 25, 2022, 12:13:05 pm »

Think you could argue that past names like Clough, Ferguson etc., were like that to varying degrees.

They were both abrasive but I dont think either, Ferguson in particular, was like that towards players or owners. I certainly don't remember the hard shoulder shitter being so openly twattish towards the players he already had.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27028 on: July 25, 2022, 12:13:22 pm »
The Everton vs. Chelsea game on the opening day is going to be like the equivalent of the under 5s egg and spoon race with the fans of the victors proclaiming themselves favourites for the 100m sprint.  The manager of the losing side will publicly flog his players for their lack of effort.

Something to look forward to.  I just hope it's not a face-saving draw.

Chelsea always shit the bed at Goodison.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27029 on: July 25, 2022, 12:17:18 pm »

Ferguson always an exception. Anyone he viewed as a problem would be out the door and everyone else fell in line. He always has senior lieutenants he would keep around like Neville and Scholes.

Did Clough even have long term success fwiw? 3 great seasons at Forest and then fell away for the most part. Leeds got rid of him.because the players wouldn't have him.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27030 on: July 25, 2022, 12:26:05 pm »
Ferguson always an exception. Anyone he viewed as a problem would be out the door and everyone else fell in line. He always has senior lieutenants he would keep around like Neville and Scholes.

Did Clough even have long term success fwiw
? 3 great seasons at Forest and then fell away for the most part. Leeds got rid of him.because the players wouldn't have him.

He did yeah.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #27031 on: July 25, 2022, 01:00:18 pm »
Im not sure it probably involves buying Man City cast offs for 45 million a whack and then giving them 300K a week and bidding left, right and centre for a shower of other random players.

Profit.

Well I heard that you set up an anonymous shell company offshore which loans money to football clubs. You then arrange a short term loan for your club of about £20m, at 5% p.a.guaranteed interest against future TV revenue. You are actually loaning the club the money (because you ultimately own the shell), but unlike a share investment, because football clubs rarely give a dividend, you get a 5% guaranteed return on your loan.
Repeat this. Short term loan every year and …
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27032 on: July 25, 2022, 01:36:31 pm »
He did yeah.

He obviously worked miracles at Forest and what he achieved between 1978-80 was incredible. From 80-81 - 86-87 they were often around mid table and made one semi final.  Bearing in mind the likes of Watford, Ipswich and Southampton were runners up in some of those seasons and Everton won the league twice.  It was nothing like it is now in terms of a big 6 or whatever.

They weren't competitive for a long time.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27033 on: July 25, 2022, 02:10:42 pm »
He obviously worked miracles at Forest and what he achieved between 1978-80 was incredible. From 80-81 - 86-87 they were often around mid table and made one semi final.  Bearing in mind the likes of Watford, Ipswich and Southampton were runners up in some of those seasons and Everton won the league twice.  It was nothing like it is now in terms of a big 6 or whatever.

He won the title with Derby in the early 70s, after getting them promoted. And he won European Cups/League titles when we were the dominant team in Europe. To say he didnt have long term success is probably about....in the middle of daft things you've written.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #27034 on: July 25, 2022, 02:13:45 pm »

Did Clough even have long term success fwiw? 3 great seasons at Forest and then fell away for the most part. Leeds got rid of him.because the players wouldn't have him.
Clough also did very well with Derby.
He had all his success with both clubs with Peter Taylor as his wingman.
No surprise that he didn't succeed at Leeds without Taylor and his initial success with Forest soon fell away once Taylor departed.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27035 on: July 25, 2022, 02:15:26 pm »

I pretty much agree with this. Clough had the managerial equivalent of a purple patch where everything clicked for him. He spent the next 10-15 years living off the back of that brief period during that late 70s/early 80s period. Probably not too dissimilar to Everton, really, except Forest got their European football pre-ban.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #27036 on: July 25, 2022, 02:33:02 pm »
No surprise that he didn't succeed at Leeds without Taylor and his initial success with Forest soon fell away once Taylor departed.

And his Derby County team beat us to the title in 1972, so they weren’t that shabby either.

And lost a European Cup semi final against Juventus due to skulduggery.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27037 on: July 25, 2022, 02:57:38 pm »

Yeah he obviously did great at Derby as well winning the league. My point was sustained success in a job.

Chelsea have had a raft of more short term success managers, where it unravels after 2 or 3 years. Mourinho and Conte for example. Tuchel seems cut from a similar cloth.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #27038 on: July 25, 2022, 03:09:48 pm »
Yeah he obviously did great at Derby as well winning the league. My point was sustained success in a job.

Chelsea have had a raft of more short term success managers, where it unravels after 2 or 3 years. Mourinho and Conte for example. Tuchel seems cut from a similar cloth.

Fair comment.
Maybe to do with him having all his success with Peter Taylor at his side, as I said.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27039 on: July 25, 2022, 03:23:05 pm »
Fair comment.
Maybe to do with him having all his success with Peter Taylor at his side, as I said.

Quite possibly. He missed him at Brighton and Leeds IIRC.

But Taylor's last season at Forest with Clough they finished 12th and just 2 years after the 2nd European Cup. They didn't fall away so much just because Taylor left.