Poll

The incoming Tory Tax Cuts..

Brilliant! With everyone struggling at the moment, a few hundred quid would be most welcome
Maybe a small one, but money should be spent on failing public services
I am an egg and I like cheese and fluffy squirrels called Bob. Bob the Fluffy squirrel is my fave babes.
There shouldn't be a tax cut when public services are already so broken. Keep spending what we are
Far more investment is needed in this country. Spend the money where it's needed now and fuck this stupid Austerity shite.

Author Topic: Never mind 'Stop the Boats' - STOP THE TORIES  (Read 1319272 times)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Re: Conservatives: "The Nasty Party" [TM]
« Reply #12280 on: August 16, 2022, 10:17:16 pm »
No mention of the energy or cost of living crisis.

But she did get the biggest round of applause for having a pop at transgender people.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12281 on: August 16, 2022, 11:18:13 pm »

But she did get the biggest round of applause for having a pop at transgender people.

I honestly don’t know how you can watch/listen to it. I would be throwing things at the telly…
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12282 on: August 17, 2022, 04:17:44 am »

That’s pretty much how they’ll run the next general election. Straight out of the Trump playbook. The Daily Mail love it. Throw in a bit about “benefit scroungers”  and sinking asylum-seekers boats in the channel.

Nothing about transforming the economy, healthcare etc.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #12283 on: August 17, 2022, 05:37:35 am »
]

Trouble is, there's no shortage of people in this country who would agree with her. Weirdos who see hard work as a virtue to be applauded.

Is hard work not to be applauded?

--edit-- maybe we differ on what it means to be applauded. Ideally I'd like to go to work , 9-5 with little stress, and a normal level of work. And be paid lots for it.
But to earn a decent wage I do way beyond that.  I suppose maybe we need to define work hard too.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 05:40:01 am by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12284 on: August 17, 2022, 06:46:34 am »

--edit-- maybe we differ on what it means to be applauded. Ideally I'd like to go to work , 9-5 with little stress, and a normal level of work. And be paid lots for it.
But to earn a decent wage I do way beyond that.  I suppose maybe we need to define work hard too.

What that they mean by what she's saying there is that UK workers get paid too much for 'how hard they work' and for 'the rights that they have not to be treated like shite'
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12285 on: August 17, 2022, 07:14:11 am »
The response from Truss about her lazy British worker comments are pure Truss. All she did was parrot the same line about growth and productivity, because of course being uploaded with her tax cuts program means she cannot deviate from that line.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #12286 on: August 17, 2022, 07:15:24 am »

How is a teacher, nurse, a retail worker or a cleaner supposed to do that?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12287 on: August 17, 2022, 07:24:27 am »
That's sort of my point wlr. Those groups work hard. Exceedingly hard I'd say. They should be applauded for that. And to be fair they should be rightly rewarded too. maybe that's nobby's point.

--edit-- I used to work as a NHS cleaner. I've never known a culture of tea and cigarette breaks that make up almost half the working day be so strong .
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 07:26:20 am by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #12288 on: August 17, 2022, 08:11:16 am »
How is a teacher, nurse, a retail worker or a cleaner supposed to do that?

Forgive me if I've misunderstood the point but is it not about not just working to par and instead wanting to take on greater responsibility or personal development - so becoming part of the senior leadership team and becoming a form tutor, dept head etc at a school; taking additional courses and working up the band's as a nurse?

That seems to the parallel to Paul's point about having to work above par to earn a decent/better wage

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12289 on: August 17, 2022, 08:27:15 am »
Forgive me if I've misunderstood the point but is it not about not just working to par and instead wanting to take on greater responsibility or personal development - so becoming part of the senior leadership team and becoming a form tutor, dept head etc at a school; taking additional courses and working up the band's as a nurse?

That seems to the parallel to Paul's point about having to work above par to earn a decent/better wage

Not sure that's legitimate. Yeah, some people want to be managers, but those that achieve technical excellence quite often stay in technical rather than managerial roles.

The UK especially seems to have a major problem allowing people that are fantastic at their jobs be rewarded for being fantastic at their jobs and instead wish to promote them to their level of incompetance.

Also, I have seen some people 'take on board' a range of side things to 'get noticed' and end up direclty affecting the excellence of their own job. Spinning more plates doesn't always mean you are working 'harder'

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12290 on: August 17, 2022, 08:31:58 am »

I don’t know, we’re all guessing what Truss was getting at based on a few words but there is a difference at least in my mind between working hard and career progression/development, and I certainly didn’t hear any words that made me think that’s what she was referring to.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12291 on: August 17, 2022, 08:45:35 am »
Not sure that's legitimate. Yeah, some people want to be managers, but those that achieve technical excellence quite often stay in technical rather than managerial roles.

The UK especially seems to have a major problem allowing people that are fantastic at their jobs be rewarded for being fantastic at their jobs and instead wish to promote them to their level of incompetance.

Also, I have seen some people 'take on board' a range of side things to 'get noticed' and end up direclty affecting the excellence of their own job. Spinning more plates doesn't always mean you are working 'harder'

100% agreed that there is not a direct correlation and certainly no guarantee that of it

These two jobs (based anecdotally on my mum (nurse (arguably too long ago for it to be currently relevent) and teacher (retired about 4 years ago) and my old housemate (nurse)) seem some of the few to have kind of modular or linear progression where there are strictly tangible things that can be done to get the promotions and additional pay

It is not, by any means, a certainty and in a lot of other jobs it is much more subjective.

@WLR - Truss was definitely just being a twat and trying to stir up shite. I took Paul's point to be his viewpoint rather than an attempt at finding logic in Truss' bullshit

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #12292 on: August 17, 2022, 09:20:29 am »
British workers don’t graft eh?

Can’t be arsed to respond.
Does that also apply to holidaying government ministers during times of national crises?
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12293 on: August 17, 2022, 09:30:09 am »
For clarity. My point wasn't directly to do with what truss said.
I found it odd that Nobby didn't want to applaud hard work .
Hard work is an ethos I think most of us want . I guess it's more an ethos of not being a slacker rather than being a lackey that we should strive for .

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12294 on: August 17, 2022, 09:50:11 am »
The lack of any kind of actual vision or programme from anyone is utterly depressing. On all elements of both sides it just seems to be a case of retrialling something that was done before or they read in a book. For the Tories it's now tax cuts, Britannia Unchained, the Sovereign Individual and the old witch and retreading it, for the current iteration of Labour its a late-90s reboot, for the last iteration of Labour it was the 83 manifesto and Marx's 19th century solutions for 19th century problems. They're all so intellectually limited. Now - he was a fucking cretin and a moron and a vicious evil little twat, but at least Cummings had (bonkers and batshit) new ideas. They all just have nothing...

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12295 on: August 17, 2022, 09:55:54 am »
Hard work is an ethos I think most of us want . I guess it's more an ethos of not being a slacker rather than being a lackey that we should strive for .

I’m guessing the point Nobby was making is that people also shouldn’t be taken for mugs either, working their bollocks off for a wage packet that they can barely survive on or the promotion they may not ever get but is dangled infront of them as a carrot. There’s often a right wing narrative that if you work hard enough you can achieve whatever you want, the fairytale American Dream let’s say, and then there’s the darker side of that, if your poor it’s your fault for being lazy or stupid that comes hand in hand with the American Dream. For me, Truss’s comments are a nod and a wink to that darker side.
Thinking is overrated.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #12296 on: August 17, 2022, 09:58:45 am »
British workers don’t graft eh?

Can’t be arsed to respond.

It's true, look!

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12297 on: August 17, 2022, 10:05:52 am »
The lack of any kind of actual vision or programme from anyone is utterly depressing. On all elements of both sides it just seems to be a case of retrialling something that was done before or they read in a book. For the Tories it's now tax cuts, Britannia Unchained, the Sovereign Individual and the old witch and retreading it, for the current iteration of Labour its a late-90s reboot, for the last iteration of Labour it was the 83 manifesto and Marx's 19th century solutions for 19th century problems. They're all so intellectually limited. Now - he was a fucking cretin and a moron and a vicious evil little twat, but at least Cummings had (bonkers and batshit) new ideas. They all just have nothing...

Not sure where you get that from re: Labour. Looks like you're projecting. Had a lot of that lately on my Social Feeds - that Labour is doing this (They aren't) or saying that (They aren't) or have planned this (They haven't)

Seems that there is a tidy band of discontented little gnomes gnawing at bones in their homes.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12298 on: August 17, 2022, 10:07:40 am »
I’m guessing the point Nobby was making is that people also shouldn’t be taken for mugs either, working their bollocks off for a wage packet that they can barely survive on or the promotion they may not ever get but is dangled infront of them as a carrot. There’s often a right wing narrative that if you work hard enough you can achieve whatever you want, the fairytale American Dream let’s say, and then there’s the darker side of that, if your poor it’s your fault for being lazy or stupid that comes hand in hand with the American Dream. For me, Truss’s comments are a nod and a wink to that darker side.

Yep absolutely

It's been an open secret for years now that the Tories hate people having any rights at all - they love the idea of the American 'Hire and Fire' market, no benefits, no social care, no compassion and no taxes.

They don't seem to give much of a fuck if children or the sick or the old die as long as they are alright.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12299 on: August 17, 2022, 10:12:51 am »
Having worked in public and private sector I think there's definitely an issue with going above-and-beyond or doing-just-enough being treated the same in the public sector.  Promotion opportunities within a team are usually few and far between so being well thought of isn't particularly that useful, there's no performance related incentives and there's no real penalty for dropping to a low standard.  Managers often write glowing references to get rid of staff that aren't performing well!

I'm now a manager for a US multinational and a lot of my pay and those I manage is tied to performance.  There's definitely a broader motivation but also it's more dog-eat-dog as people know that within each team a maximum of 25% can get the top bonus.  Conversely part of my bonus is linked to not giving too many bonuses to my direct reports (and the same for my manager and so on).  I'd not say the overall productivity is any better but it's definitely easier to terminate contracts for employees that have completely checked out.

The way to improve productivity is surely through more investment and more automation.  There's never been much incentive to do that in the UK as successive governments have always ensured there's cheap labour.  In my limited experience both public and private sector is rife with people doing monotonous tasks that with a bit of up-front work could be automated forevermore.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #12300 on: August 17, 2022, 10:16:21 am »
It's true, look!

Labour needs to commission loads of billboard size posters for the next election with pictures like this. Rees Mogg asleep in the House, Dominic Raab pissed at a party, Sunak splashing around in his new Olympic-size swimming pool, Truss at a cheese and wine do , Johnson hungover in the airport.

Then the caption:

"This party says you don't work hard enough."
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #12301 on: August 17, 2022, 10:18:42 am »

Agree with all of this.
I disagree with the notion that you should always be striving to climb the greasy pole. You only get to live once and, since you spend so much time in work, isn't it important that you actually enjoy it? I had a fairly successul spell in management but absolutely hated it - too many meetings, too much "paper work", dealing with the tedium of people problems and never being able to do the sorts of things that attracted me to the profession in the first place. I took a step back down the ladder and despite limiting my earnings potential, I decided my new salary was "enough". It was never about lacking "ambition" or laziness. I was just fed up of dreading Monday mornings.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12302 on: August 17, 2022, 10:25:39 am »
This is part of the crux of the matter. Roll back not far, and I don't think anyone would be looking to enjoy the work over it being a means to earn money. Now we are in a new rate race where not only do we need to earn enough to keep up the Jones' but we should enjoy it too.
Life doesn't owe us a living and the lucky ones have an element of choice over work life balance.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12303 on: August 17, 2022, 10:58:33 am »
Agree with all of this.
I disagree with the notion that you should always be striving to climb the greasy pole. You only get to live once and, since you spend so much time in work, isn't it important that you actually enjoy it? I had a fairly successul spell in management but absolutely hated it - too many meetings, too much "paper work", dealing with the tedium of people problems and never being able to do the sorts of things that attracted me to the profession in the first place. I took a step back down the ladder and despite limiting my earnings potential, I decided my new salary was "enough". It was never about lacking "ambition" or laziness. I was just fed up of dreading Monday mornings.

I agree with the sentiment to an extent but if people didn't do that then there would not have been a Stephen Hawking, a Steven Gerrard, a Stephen K Amos, a Steve Rotheram (don't ask why I went with the name theme). They all put in ridiculous levels of effort to reach the heights they have in their various professions, have seen many who have worked hard also be rejected or never get the same level of recognition.

I agree that not everyone needs to be - if you are happy and comfortable then so long as you maintain that level, keep up to date on things etc then you shouldn't feel forced to.

At the same time it shouldn't be looked down upon (maybe the wrong word for it) to want to take on the extra elements/non essentials of the job.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12304 on: August 17, 2022, 11:03:21 am »
The 996 working hour system (Chinese: 996工作制) is a work schedule practiced by some companies in the People's Republic of China. It derives its name from its requirement that employees work from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm, 6 days per week; i.e. 72 hours per week.[1][2][3][4][5][6] A number of Mainland Chinese internet companies have adopted this system as their official work schedule.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/996_working_hour_system
____

Yes Miss Truss. Our working culture is quite different to that of China's, the bastion of freedom and democracy we should be aspiring to.

Crazy to me people are even giving this comment the time of day.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #12305 on: August 17, 2022, 11:07:16 am »
It's been an open secret for years now that the Tories hate people having any rights at all - they love the idea of the American 'Hire and Fire' market, no benefits, no social care, no compassion and no taxes.

Not all Tories are exactly like that (in this thread a few weeks back we briefly discussed Noblesse Oblige). Just like within Labour, there is a constant wrangling between wings of the party for control over what their direction should be. It can never be anything else for a party big enough to be electable. The long-standing Tory strength is that they keep their squabbles hidden from the public quite well and so usually appear in lockstep (obviously not at the moment!)

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Crumble

• It's rhyming slang
  • Kopite
« Reply #12306 on: August 17, 2022, 11:20:27 am »
I agree with the sentiment to an extent but if people didn't do that then there would not have been a Stephen Hawking, a Steven Gerrard, a Stephen K Amos, a Steve Rotheram (don't ask why I went with the name theme). They all put in ridiculous levels of effort to reach the heights they have in their various professions, have seen many who have worked hard also be rejected or never get the same level of recognition.

I agree that not everyone needs to be - if you are happy and comfortable then so long as you maintain that level, keep up to date on things etc then you shouldn't feel forced to.

At the same time it shouldn't be looked down upon (maybe the wrong word for it) to want to take on the extra elements/non essentials of the job.

The people you list are not only really good at what they do, they really enjoy doing it as well. Most of us, if we are lucky, end up doing jobs that we tolerate rather than live for. If we can earn "enough" money, we have no real incentive to strive every waking hour to earn even more.

If there's a secret to success, maybe it's finding something you really love doing and then finding a way to make money while doing it?

Meanwhile I'm convinced that the cause of UK's low productivity is that far too many people are doing unproductive jobs that shouldn't really be needed at all. Alongside people wasting time and effort coping with unresponsive or inadequate technology, of course.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12307 on: August 17, 2022, 11:21:09 am »
Not all Tories are exactly like that (in this thread a few weeks back we briefly discussed Noblesse Oblige). Just like within Labour, there is a constant wrangling between wings of the party for control over what their direction should be. It can never be anything else for a party big enough to be electable. The long-standing Tory strength is that they keep their squabbles hidden from the public quite well and so usually appear in lockstep (obviously not at the moment!)

Your probably right, but right now the type of Tory that Andy is talking about seems to be the one in the ascendancy, and the One Nation wing very much on the back foot, marginalised and lacking any real leadership as BoJo purged them from the party.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12308 on: August 17, 2022, 11:27:16 am »
The people you list are not only really good at what they do, they really enjoy doing it as well. Most of us, if we are lucky, end up doing jobs that we tolerate rather than live for. If we can earn "enough" money, we have no real incentive to strive every waking hour to earn even more.

If there's a secret to success, maybe it's finding something you really love doing and then finding a way to make money while doing it?

Meanwhile I'm convinced that the cause of UK's low productivity is that far too many people are doing unproductive jobs that shouldn't really be needed at all. Alongside people wasting time and effort coping with unresponsive or inadequate technology, of course.

Yes and I should have added that to it about how, if you genuinely enjoy doing it then why not go for it with stuff.

Think you have hit the nail on the head.

Out of interest - what would you have down as the "unproductive jobs"?

Offline Crumble

• It's rhyming slang
  • Kopite
« Reply #12309 on: August 17, 2022, 11:38:11 am »

Out of interest - what would you have down as the "unproductive jobs"?

In IT, where I spent most of my career, the unproductive jobs were mostly unnecessary layers of middle management and associated assistants who do little of value other than try to understand how their underlings are getting on in order to mis-interpret it for their own managers. From what I've seen, this is common across most industries.

And of course box-ticking in general, where Brexit has created even more non-productive jobs than existed before.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12310 on: August 17, 2022, 11:43:09 am »

I wasn't being wholly serious with my initial comment  ;D

However, I'm not a fan of working hard. There is the point that, if you work in the private sector at least, you are doing so to enrich the wealthy owners of capital. The Tories will always be the party that looks after the interests of the owners of capital.

I tend to view the relationship between employer and employee along the lines of: The employer will always seek to extract as much work from an employee as possible, for the least amount of reward; the employee will always seek to extract as much reward from an employer as possible, for the least amount of work.

In times past (not that long ago) when Christian churches had an insidious influence over people, they used to extoll the virtue of working hard; that their god wanted people to work hard and have a sense of duty to do so. What's that saying? "The devil makes work for idle hands?". But then, there's always been that mutual patronage between the church and establishments, and not just in the UK.

That, and I am either lazy or just have an undiagnosed attention deficit disorder, so find working hard to be difficult  :-[
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12311 on: August 17, 2022, 11:45:46 am »
As an aside, there was an article in the Torygraph blaming working from home for creating a nation of bone idle people who were harming productivity. No mention that studies showed most people working from home had actually improved productivity (https://www.cipd.co.uk/about/media/press/260422home-hybrid-working-increased-productivity#gref)

But I guess it's all about the drive to get people back into offices to prevent a collapse in office space demand (and the knock-on impact for wealthy commercial landlords)

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12312 on: August 17, 2022, 11:53:11 am »
I think we have to consider why Truss said this.
UK company's are inefficient. meaning they are finding it hard to compete,  isn't that what she's saying? no kidding Einstein. isn't that exactly what we said would happen after we left the EU.
The government have created conditions that make UK company's inefficient and uncompetitive, looks like the only solution Truss has to over come this is simplistic and nasty as well as wrong. blame the workers for not working hard enough.
 I lay the blame on UK politicians for not working hard enough in the run up to the referendum, Totally clueless most of them, not being arsed to spend time educating themselves on the EU.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12313 on: August 17, 2022, 11:56:25 am »
In IT, where I spent most of my career, the unproductive jobs were mostly unnecessary layers of middle management and associated assistants who do little of value other than try to understand how their underlings are getting on in order to mis-interpret it for their own managers. From what I've seen, this is common across most industries.

And of course box-ticking in general, where Brexit has created even more non-productive jobs than existed before.
For me there's those unproductive jobs as you've outlined but there's also a massive amount of people working very hard and diligently on tasks that should have been automated years ago.

My experience is pretty narrow and office based but examples that come to mind are people double-keying systems because at some point the company scrimped on integrating those systems, people manually copying lots of numbers from different places to create a performance "dashboard" when ETL/reporting tools have existed to do that for decades, endlessly contacting employees to see if they're still using assigned laptops/tablets/mobile phones when that information is collected by network/security systems etc.

It feels like while the people doing those tasks don't grumble and the plates don't crash to the ground then it's accepted.  Easy productivity wins.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12314 on: August 17, 2022, 11:58:57 am »
As an aside, there was an article in the Torygraph blaming working from home for creating a nation of bone idle people who were harming productivity. No mention that studies showed most people working from home had actually improved productivity (https://www.cipd.co.uk/about/media/press/260422home-hybrid-working-increased-productivity#gref)

But I guess it's all about the drive to get people back into offices to prevent a collapse in office space demand (and the knock-on impact for wealthy commercial landlords)

Also ignores our poor productivity in the 10 years between 2010 and 2020 when working from home was very much the exception.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12315 on: August 17, 2022, 12:25:25 pm »

I wasn't being wholly serious with my initial comment  ;D

However, I'm not a fan of working hard. There is the point that, if you work in the private sector at least, you are doing so to enrich the wealthy owners of capital. The Tories will always be the party that looks after the interests of the owners of capital.

I tend to view the relationship between employer and employee along the lines of: The employer will always seek to extract as much work from an employee as possible, for the least amount of reward; the employee will always seek to extract as much reward from an employer as possible, for the least amount of work.

In times past (not that long ago) when Christian churches had an insidious influence over people, they used to extoll the virtue of working hard; that their god wanted people to work hard and have a sense of duty to do so. What's that saying? "The devil makes work for idle hands?". But then, there's always been that mutual patronage between the church and establishments, and not just in the UK.

That, and I am either lazy or just have an undiagnosed attention deficit disorder, so find working hard to be difficult  :-[

In terms of level of effort and reward, presumably it is a case of working sufficiently hard so as to still have a job tomorrow and then being prepared to - as you say - enrich the owners through your labour up to a point somewhere above the base level to provide a suitable standard of living? That would seem, to me, the logical trade off as you accept some additional riches for the owner in order to live and provide for family etc but that there is then a cut off point.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #12316 on: August 17, 2022, 01:09:47 pm »
That was my experience too. Those at the top love lots of layers of middle management because it makes them appear even more important. The great irony of the Tory party moaning about productivity is that it is they who promoted and rewarded occupations that, in Douglas Adams terms, would qualify for placement on the Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B (aka "second starship").
One thing I also noted in my career is that the quality of management deteriorated over the years. In the early days some of my managers were great. They'd worked at the "coal-face" and had moved into management after showing a flair to the job. They totally understood the problem domain, had a fine sense of what was genuinely achievable and could communicate well with staff at all levels. They'd also roll up their sleeves and help out if needs be e.g. before a deadline
The eejits I worked for at the end - parachuted into the upper elechons courtesy of a course they'd been on - were something else. Utterly clueless,  no appreciation of what  jobs lower down the hierarchy entailed and always using management-speak buzz words - a bit like Tory ministers! They sucked every ounce of enjoyment out of the job and not only did they fail to help us do our jobs, they made it harder. Glad to have left that behind

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12317 on: August 17, 2022, 02:23:23 pm »
That was my experience too. Those at the top love lots of layers of middle management because it makes them appear even more important. The great irony of the Tory party moaning about productivity is that it is they who promoted and rewarded occupations that, in Douglas Adams terms, would qualify for placement on the Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B (aka "second starship").
One thing I also noted in my career is that the quality of management deteriorated over the years. In the early days some of my managers were great. They'd worked at the "coal-face" and had moved into management after showing a flair to the job. They totally understood the problem domain, had a fine sense of what was genuinely achievable and could communicate well with staff at all levels. They'd also roll up their sleeves and help out if needs be e.g. before a deadline
The eejits I worked for at the end - parachuted into the upper elechons courtesy of a course they'd been on - were something else. Utterly clueless,  no appreciation of what  jobs lower down the hierarchy entailed and always using management-speak buzz words - a bit like Tory ministers! They sucked every ounce of enjoyment out of the job and not only did they fail to help us do our jobs, they made it harder. Glad to have left that behind

Yeah Girobank was like that.

When I first joined (After initially being a contractor) all the Managers were absolutely top-class in IT. Their training was brilliant and each and every manager had done it for real. Some had been Operators then Programmers. Some had started as Programmers, then became Analyst/Programmers, then Designers then Business Analysts, then Team Leaders then managers - but if you wanted to be a tecchie then that was also more than welcome and you got recognised for that.

Then.

They got some new top bods in and they 'fast tracked' graduates to management positions. Someone with a few years in a degree course who had been doing random stuff - sometimes not even computing - were suddenly put in charge of people that had been doing IT for 5, 10, 15, 20 years and they were absolute dogshit. They had no understanding of the business or best practice or how to handle experienced staff that had forgotten more than they were likely to ever know and then no ideas of the work beforehand and the work afterwards to keep everything running at optimum level.

It went right downhill from there.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #12318 on: August 17, 2022, 03:12:27 pm »
They got some new top bods in and they 'fast tracked' graduates to management positions. Someone with a few years in a degree course who had been doing random stuff - sometimes not even computing - were suddenly put in charge of people that had been doing IT for 5, 10, 15, 20 years and they were absolute dogshit. They had no understanding of the business or best practice or how to handle experienced staff that had forgotten more than they were likely to ever know and then no ideas of the work beforehand and the work afterwards to keep everything running at optimum level.
Sometimes getting a job at the top can also be about who you know rather than what you know or whose backside you're prepared to lick. Truss needs to look no further that our current government for the devastating effects of that.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12319 on: August 17, 2022, 05:00:45 pm »
Labour needs to commission loads of billboard size posters for the next election with pictures like this. Rees Mogg asleep in the House, Dominic Raab pissed at a party, Sunak splashing around in his new Olympic-size swimming pool, Truss at a cheese and wine do , Johnson hungover in the airport.

Then the caption:

"This party says you don't work hard enough."

Yep. Or even, "Work harder, peasants"