Poll

The incoming Tory Tax Cuts..

Brilliant! With everyone struggling at the moment, a few hundred quid would be most welcome
Maybe a small one, but money should be spent on failing public services
I am an egg and I like cheese and fluffy squirrels called Bob. Bob the Fluffy squirrel is my fave babes.
There shouldn't be a tax cut when public services are already so broken. Keep spending what we are
Far more investment is needed in this country. Spend the money where it's needed now and fuck this stupid Austerity shite.

Author Topic: Never mind 'Stop the Boats' - STOP THE TORIES  (Read 1319194 times)

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Conservatives: Wrecking the UK for fun
« Reply #12160 on: August 13, 2022, 08:13:28 am »
"Buck up your ideas in school or I'll leave you here"

:lmao :lmao  Cheeky bastard!

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #12161 on: August 13, 2022, 08:44:10 am »
Not to get too pedantic, Public School was a status given to 7 famous schools as a result of a nineteenth century act. Other schools gained that status over time. However you are probably right that most people form their impressions from one of the original 7, namely Charterhouse, Eton, Harrow, Rugby, Shrewsbury, Westminster and Winchester. And they would be right. These are highly prestigious and notoriously snooty places.

I actually know two people at charterhouse. You need money to go there and I mean serious money. I think its about 45K per year all in. Both the people I know are in 6th form so that's 90K for two years worth of study - that would cover your costs through the secondary years of most other private schools.
With that said I am not sure about Charterhouse being "snooty" as such. One of the kids was from a deprived bit of south east london and got in on a sports scholarship. I know a premier league manager has family there and certain sports presenters have kids there. They are obviously loaded but not from the same "stock" as your typical etonian. In fact charterhouse almost seems to be a "sporty" school now. You do need money to go there (unless you can get a scholarship) but not sure you neccesarily need to be part of the upper class anymore. I imagine Eton is completely different but honestly don't know anyone that goes there.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #12162 on: August 13, 2022, 09:13:23 am »
I actually know two people at charterhouse.....

I can only think of Robert Graves's amazing memoir 'Goodbye to all that' when I hear the word 'Charterhouse'.

As soon as that book was published Charterhouse should have done the decent thing and closed its doors forever.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12163 on: August 13, 2022, 09:30:53 am »
I'm sure even those 7 schools I mentioned have some very likable and sound individuals. I think we're saying that all the traits we don't like are more likely to manifest in their alumni than of other public/independent schools and even less so of state schools.

But yeah, a reminder again to all, find as you see.

Darwin (not that one), Willie Rushton , Michael Palin & John Peel all went to Shrewsbury. I’m guessing the school had an influence on them all.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #12164 on: August 13, 2022, 10:33:37 am »
Class is the curse of British life, especially English life. But I don't think it's true to say that we love hierarchy more than any other comparable nation or that historically we have been slow to assert our rights against overweening power.
<snip>
We also managed to remove the religious yoke before others did and never had a vast peasantry in absolute thrall to the bigotry, obscurantism and ignorance that was the stock-in-trade of religious leaders
<snip>
In short I think it's too easy to look at the enduring class system and conclude that the Brits are somehow especially prone to deference. The historical record suggests otherwise.
There are many who accuse the British of doffing their caps to the rich elite but do so from countries who do the same towards the religious elite. Some of the stories that have emerged from Ireland re. Magdalene laundries, scandals in children's home etc have been truly shocking. What's even more staggering is how recently some scandals were taking place and not being questioned.
Although Britain has to a large extent removed the religious yoke, I don't think it's entirely gone. Between the wars, my non-religious grandmother developed a loathing for the local Catholic priest because he would "visit" his parishioners just after pay-day. Not only did he expect to be provided with food and drink when required, he would trawl through cupboards, drawers, tea-caddy etc looking for money and he would help himself. He did so without question despite the fact that he was taking from people living a hand-to-mouth existance. I doubt that this sort of behaviour would be tolerated today. Nevertheless there are many who are prone to deference when religious leaders speak - regardless of the religion.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12165 on: August 13, 2022, 10:50:10 am »
There are many who accuse the British of doffing their caps to the rich elite but do so from countries who do the same towards the religious elite. Some of the stories that have emerged from Ireland re. Magdalene laundries, scandals in children's home etc have been truly shocking. What's even more staggering is how recently some scandals were taking place and not being questioned.
Although Britain has to a large extent removed the religious yoke, I don't think it's entirely gone. Between the wars, my non-religious grandmother developed a loathing for the local Catholic priest because he would "visit" his parishioners just after pay-day. Not only did he expect to be provided with food and drink when required, he would trawl through cupboards, drawers, tea-caddy etc looking for money and he would help himself. He did so without question despite the fact that he was taking from people living a hand-to-mouth existance. I doubt that this sort of behaviour would be tolerated today. Nevertheless there are many who are prone to deference when religious leaders speak - regardless of the religion.

Absolutely right.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #12166 on: August 13, 2022, 10:54:33 am »
plenty of doff cappers around my way. Plenty of public school  educated twats as  well.
I'm in the middle of blue Tory land where your rights aren't as important as there cap doffing.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #12167 on: August 13, 2022, 10:54:46 am »

There’s a saying that a vacuum was created when the British left Ireland in the 1920s and the Catholic Church promptly filled the vacuum with their own type of oppression.

As a child our Catholic Church had English priests who were a pretty decent bunch. At secondary level I came into contact with Irish Christian Brothers who were medieval.

Offline Fruity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12168 on: August 13, 2022, 11:27:24 am »

It's difficult though when you have been brainwashed from day one. Not trying to offend some people but I don't think some people are intelligent enough to question it. Or sometimes your whole environment is wrapped up in it you don't want to go against the grain. Most religion is taught with fear in mind (bit like a lot of politics now). I recall as a young catholic in secondary school (run by nuns) we were made to watch an anti abortion video. Anyone who questioned it was seen as some sort of heretic and sent to the head. The film was limbs basically been torn apart and thrown into bin bags afterwards.  Most people watched in utter disgust and agreeing it was hideous.

I wonder how many people left school and were affected by that film and made decisions based on that.

I think if we are hit with enough propaganda at the right age you can make most people believe in anything.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12169 on: August 13, 2022, 11:51:29 am »
I recall as a young catholic in secondary school (run by nuns) we were made to watch an anti abortion video. Anyone who questioned it was seen as some sort of heretic and sent to the head. The film was limbs basically been torn apart and thrown into bin bags afterwards.  Most people watched in utter disgust and agreeing it was hideous.
I was probably forced to watch the same video at secondary school. Though, I don't recall anyone's reaction to it (including my own).

My experience of Catholic primary and secondary school is what informs my attitude of total opposition to religious education. And, by all accounts, my religious schooling experiences were mild when compared with many others.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #12170 on: August 13, 2022, 11:56:12 am »
It's difficult though when you have been brainwashed from day one. Not trying to offend some people but I don't think some people are intelligent enough to question it.
Most religions have been canny in making the very act of questioning the messages from the top a sin. It's been a cornerstone of their retaining power over people. Furthermore it can be seen in other spheres, including politics and business where arse-lickers prosper. Johnson's government has been the perfect example. Who else in their right mind would give Mad Nads a job?

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #12171 on: August 13, 2022, 12:09:19 pm »
My experience of Catholic primary and secondary school is what informs my attitude of total opposition to religious education. And, by all accounts, my religious schooling experiences were mild when compared with many others.
I have no objection to education about religions in schools but am totally opposed to religious indoctrination during the school day. Furthermore the idea that we attach a label to children and segregate them at such a young age is appalling. It's divisive. There are also practical considerations.  I think there have been issues in areas of Liverpool where young Muslims are forced to travel miles for their education because their local schools are religion based. They don't want Muslim schools necessarily, they just want schooling that isn't going to attempt to indoctrinate them in another faith.

Offline Fruity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12172 on: August 13, 2022, 12:38:49 pm »
I was probably forced to watch the same video at secondary school. Though, I don't recall anyone's reaction to it (including my own).

I remember some girls were crying (not sure if it was genuine upset or the need to please) whilst watching the film. Some boys were also very vocal in agreement. Personally I was always a ball ache at school and the nuns were the authority so I felt the need to oppose everything they did or suggested. So I was anti the film even before they stuck it on. I recall once that I drew a picture of a devil in my RE book. A bit of a stupid move I guess and honestly looking back I am not sure why I did it - maybe boredom. Anyway the nun teacher actually suggested to the head that I needed psychiatric help - she was almost hysterical when she saw it. Plenty of detentions for that one.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #12173 on: August 13, 2022, 01:19:48 pm »
I've just seen the question at the top of this thread. Reminds me of a short piece by Jack Dee.  Yeah no ambulances let's see a taxi driver come get you out from under that hotel. Taxi for Maggie, cab for Maggie. Oh fuck it.

I can't do justice do his delivery.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #12174 on: August 13, 2022, 01:50:25 pm »
I have no objection to education about religions in schools but am totally opposed to religious indoctrination during the school day. Furthermore the idea that we attach a label to children and segregate them at such a young age is appalling. It's divisive. There are also practical considerations.  I think there have been issues in areas of Liverpool where young Muslims are forced to travel miles for their education because their local schools are religion based. They don't want Muslim schools necessarily, they just want schooling that isn't going to attempt to indoctrinate them in another faith.

My grandsons went to a Catholic secondary school in Chester which was the school of choice for a lot of Muslim parents  whose kids were excused from the religious element.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #12175 on: August 13, 2022, 08:41:41 pm »
Labour re to announce that they would not raise the price cap this autumn. (And presumably make up the difference).

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/13/keir-starmer-demands-ban-on-raising-energy-prices?CMP=share_btn_tw

Big pressure on the new Tory leader.  I don’t think they will go anywhere near that far
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12176 on: August 13, 2022, 08:54:15 pm »
Labour re to announce that they would not raise the price cap this autumn. (And presumably make up the difference).

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/13/keir-starmer-demands-ban-on-raising-energy-prices?CMP=share_btn_tw

Big pressure on the new Tory leader.  I don’t think they will go anywhere near that far

But that's communism!

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12178 on: August 13, 2022, 09:44:14 pm »
Good stuff by Starmer. He needed to be pretty bold as this is a unique situation and stopping the price rise would be an excellent policy.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12179 on: August 13, 2022, 09:46:47 pm »
Yep.  Really good from Labour that.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #12180 on: August 13, 2022, 09:49:11 pm »
Good stuff by Starmer. He needed to be pretty bold as this is a unique situation and stopping the price rise would be an excellent policy.

And when that takes root everywhere he can start on Brexit.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #12181 on: August 13, 2022, 10:06:03 pm »

My only issue with this idea (and I don’t know the answer myself I should add) is what happens next year? Another £40 billion or more? It’s too late for this year and winter obviously even though we’ve had plenty of warning, but I really hope some bright spark is thinking of something for next year and that if we’re going to spend £40 billion again it’s somehow done in a way that contributes to solving our long term needs.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12182 on: August 13, 2022, 10:13:09 pm »
Good to see some bold ideas.

The issue I see is that the fundamental issue here is there is not enough supply. The problem with susbsidising bills - as this sounds like it is - is that you aren't going to reduce demand to meet supply.

I'm not sure what the answer is. A couple of options would be rationing, or tiered pricing where it gets rapidly more expensive once you go above a certain amount.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #12183 on: August 13, 2022, 10:24:58 pm »
Its actually better policy to get rid of the price increase if you can rather than bailing out consumers as it will at least help keep a lid on inflation, yes it takes away an increased drive to save energy, but even at the current cap prices are already pretty high

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12184 on: August 13, 2022, 10:52:12 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2ulLNKPOU5s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2ulLNKPOU5s</a>

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12185 on: August 13, 2022, 11:55:53 pm »
I actually listened to that live on Friday, you can’t argue with a single word of it. You go on places like Twitter and it’s just full of the same, Tories and right wingers lamenting the state of the country (general blaming everything on “woke”) without any consideration of who has been in power for the last 12 years, it’s absolutely flabbergasting if it wasn’t so transparent in its naivety because it’s not like it’s a secret who these mysterious people are in government.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12186 on: August 14, 2022, 08:22:24 am »
A good ballsy policy -  I like it
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12187 on: August 14, 2022, 08:31:03 am »
My only issue with this idea (and I don’t know the answer myself I should add) is what happens next year? Another £40 billion or more? It’s too late for this year and winter obviously even though we’ve had plenty of warning, but I really hope some bright spark is thinking of something for next year and that if we’re going to spend £40 billion again it’s somehow done in a way that contributes to solving our long term needs.

Agreed. The government has perhaps some leeway to squeeze profits, but if they are going to limit the cap they have to fund it somehow. Until Keir tells us how he would fund the freeze, the Tories can accuse him of having a money tree, or having to tax more from the people.

--edit-- the article mentioned other countries that can help their citizens more. Can any of our non UK rawkers say how others are funding it?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 08:35:06 am by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12188 on: August 14, 2022, 08:33:38 am »
But that's communism!
But that's communism!
Almost. Nationalising the means of the production, would seem to make it for the people. But you just know if we nationalised it then the Tories would put in their mates to run it!

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12189 on: August 14, 2022, 09:18:25 am »
Agreed. The government has perhaps some leeway to squeeze profits, but if they are going to limit the cap they have to fund it somehow. Until Keir tells us how he would fund the freeze, the Tories can accuse him of having a money tree, or having to tax more from the people.

--edit-- the article mentioned other countries that can help their citizens more. Can any of our non UK rawkers say how others are funding it?

This article refers to the actions of EU countries to help with cost of living inc Energy costs

https://www.snp.org/heres-how-eu-countries-are-helping-people-with-the-cost-of-living/

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12190 on: August 14, 2022, 09:18:49 am »

Well back of fag packet sums is that £40 billion buys you about 30,000 x 1MW wind turbines, which is nearly 3 times what we currently have operational but obviously you can’t put them up overnight.

How to fund, it could be considered self funding in a way because an intervention like that would substantially reduce inflation, that means pensions and other inflation linked payments, wage demands etc won’t go up as much as expected, might also avoid further interest rate rises which saves the government money in servicing debt.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12191 on: August 14, 2022, 09:22:39 am »
This article refers to the actions of EU countries to help with cost of living inc Energy costs

https://www.snp.org/heres-how-eu-countries-are-helping-people-with-the-cost-of-living/
I can see it lists what help they are giving. But no mention of how it is funded.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12192 on: August 14, 2022, 09:47:49 am »
Well back of fag packet sums is that £40 billion buys you about 30,000 x 1MW wind turbines, which is nearly 3 times what we currently have operational but obviously you can’t put them up overnight.

How to fund, it could be considered self funding in a way because an intervention like that would substantially reduce inflation, that means pensions and other inflation linked payments, wage demands etc won’t go up as much as expected, might also avoid further interest rate rises which saves the government money in servicing debt.

Yes, but it wont make a select few extremely rich!

This is the main reason why nothing progressive happens.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12193 on: August 14, 2022, 10:59:09 am »
An update on private schools:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cost-of-learning-crisis-private-school-education-set-to-top-500-000-j0dgxtkpf

The average cost of a boarding school education is forecast to pass half a million pounds for the first time as parents are hit with fee increases.

This year, boarding schools charged parents an average of £37,032 a year for boarders and £20,832 for day pupils, according to the Independent Schools Council, which represents more than 1,300 private schools in the UK.

Since 2010, schools have typically increased their fees by 3-5 per cent a year. This year they went up an average of 3 per cent but some jumped by 7 per cent.

According to a new analysis, parents will pay an average of £505,955 for a child who starts school this year and boards from the age of seven if fees increase by 2 per cent each year of their education. The research, from the private bank Weatherbys, also shows that if fees increase by 5 per cent a year, it will cost £654,919.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12194 on: August 14, 2022, 11:19:14 am »
An update on private schools:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cost-of-learning-crisis-private-school-education-set-to-top-500-000-j0dgxtkpf

The average cost of a boarding school education is forecast to pass half a million pounds for the first time as parents are hit with fee increases.

This year, boarding schools charged parents an average of £37,032 a year for boarders and £20,832 for day pupils, according to the Independent Schools Council, which represents more than 1,300 private schools in the UK.

Since 2010, schools have typically increased their fees by 3-5 per cent a year. This year they went up an average of 3 per cent but some jumped by 7 per cent.

According to a new analysis, parents will pay an average of £505,955 for a child who starts school this year and boards from the age of seven if fees increase by 2 per cent each year of their education. The research, from the private bank Weatherbys, also shows that if fees increase by 5 per cent a year, it will cost £654,919.

What I'd to know is, just when are the Government going to do something about these increases!? Time for some tax breaks for the parents, perhaps? Priorities!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Conservatives: "The Nasty Party" [TM]
« Reply #12195 on: August 14, 2022, 11:19:35 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/14/british-minister-accused-of-trying-to-hide-reports-on-impact-of-tory-welfare-reforms

British minister accused of trying to hide reports on impact of Tory welfare reforms

Thérèse Coffey ‘set out to minimise evidence’ on studies including research into deaths of benefit claimants and help for vulnerable

Ministers have been accused of deliberately attempting to hide the impact of the government’s wide-ranging welfare reforms by concealing a range of official reports on benefits.

Thérèse Coffey, the work and pensions secretary, said she would not publish five reports or research on the benefit cap, deaths of benefits claimants, the impact of universal credit (UC), and benefit sanctions, and that she had no plans to publish two further reports on unpaid carers and work capability assessments.

Her Conservative predecessors as secretary of state had promised to publish several of the reports.

“Thérèse Coffey has set out to minimise the evidence published by the department and a consequence of this is that public trust in the department has been badly damaged,” said Stephen Timms, the chairman of the Commons work and pensions select committee. “You understand why ministers are inclined to do this because it avoids them having to answer potentially embarrassing or difficult questions. But avoiding that short-term pain has a long-term impact, I think, badly undermining confidence in the department.”

Ken Butler, a policy adviser at Disability Rights UK, said: “We’re not talking about just one report and one subject. We’re talking about a whole swathe of reports about important aspects of the system. The DWP are operating behind a wall of secrecy.”

Coffey laid out her refusal to publish the information in a letter to the select committee. The reports are as follows. First, an evaluation of the reduction in the benefit cap, which has been at the same rate since 2016 and ranges from £13,400 for individuals outside London to £23,000 for families in the capital. About 1.3 million children in the cap have parents who struggle to buy basics such as food and nappies.

Second, monthly reports on how accessible the Department for Work and Pensions websites and apps are. These are used for claiming and receiving benefits – accessibility is a major issue for some disabled people.

Third, internal reports on the deaths of benefit claimants. The DWP has started 140 internal process reviews since July 2019 into claimants whose deaths may be linked to benefits. In 2018, Errol Graham died of starvation after benefits were cut off.

Fourth, cabinet office research into the effectiveness of support for vulnerable claimants of universal credit. Charities are concerned that people moving on to UC from other forms of benefit such as disability benefits may lose out.

Fifth, a DWP report evaluating the impact of benefit sanctions in persuading people into work. Academic research suggests that sanctions only make people ill and has been described as a “war on families”.

Coffey added that the DWP had not decided if it would publish “Experiences of claiming and receiving Carer’s Allowance”, which examines how and why unpaid carers face extra hurdles in getting jobs.

Coffey said she was “not committing” to publishing statistics on work capability assessments for UC, which are used to establish if ill or disabled people can work. Statistics on previous benefits such as personal independence payments are published: about 327,000 people are missing out on payments due to delays of up to five months.

“We’re being told this isn’t a priority at the moment and basically being dismissed,” Butler said. “When you’re moving two million disabled people on to a new benefit all these issues are really relevant.

“Even the DWP has acknowledged that disabled people have a lack of trust in the DWP. Although they say they want to improve trust and improve transparency, they are actually not publishing information that’s open to scrutiny and that is deeply concerning.”

In January, the select committee took the unusual step of writing to NatCen Social Research, Britain’s largest independent social researcher, using parliamentary powers to order it to provide a copy of a report commissioned by the DWP into disability benefits.

The report “gave rise to some potentially awkward questions for ministers to have to answer, although, frankly, if you read the report, they were pretty mild”, Timms said.

“But it was inconvenient. So they decided they were going to avoid scrutiny and not publish it. But since then, we’ve become aware of a whole range of other reports, which either had previously been promised to be published, or clearly ought to be published.”

The DWP did not comment, although it referred to a passage in Coffey’s letter where she states: “We have been clear that where requests relate to research that is informing ongoing policy development, the department reserves the right to withhold it. It is important that ministers consider research and its publication on a case-by-case basis.

“I do understand the close interest of the committee in research that informs policy, but it is not the case that we committed to publish all research commissioned by a secretary of state, including research commissioned by my predecessors.”
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #12196 on: August 14, 2022, 12:54:16 pm »
It's amazing how fast technology can progress when the collective minds of the world are focussed and the right resources are provided. Sadly it often takes a disaster - a war or pandemic - for that to happen. But it can also happen when real deadlines are set such as "putting a man on the moon by the end of the decade" .
We have a climate emergency facing us (which could accelerate the rate of pandemics) and we are currently finding out what happens when energy and water shortages strike. It ought to be an absolute no-brainer to try and kill these problems with one stone (because they are connected) but unfortunately people with vested interested are trying to stop it and we have a corrupt political class willing to be bribed to do nothing.
I'm no expert but surely some of the following would help?:
(1) Ensure all properties are properly insulated and double (possibly triple) glazed. - keeping them cool in heatwaves and warm in the winter.
(2) Install solar cells and ground heat pumps on every suitable roof and plot of land.
(3) Harness tidal energy. It's predictable and the UK is an island, so we are in a great position to exploit it.
(4) Green hydrogen may be expensive to produce at the moment but given the raw materials that it requires are plentiful surely it's the way to go? Massive investment is needed here.
(5) Bring the electricity network into the 21st century so that it properly supports input from distributed renewables
(6) More research into mass storage. If pumping water up hill remains only way to store and release large quantities of energy quickly then we may need more reservoirs (which could help water shortages).

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12197 on: August 14, 2022, 01:03:25 pm »
I can see it lists what help they are giving. But no mention of how it is funded.

Funded by respective governments.  From the equivalent ‘pot’ Johnson’s cabal used to dish out covid contracts to mates.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12198 on: August 14, 2022, 01:13:52 pm »
It's amazing how fast technology can progress when the collective minds of the world are focussed and the right resources are provided. Sadly it often takes a disaster - a war or pandemic - for that to happen. But it can also happen when real deadlines are set such as "putting a man on the moon by the end of the decade" .
We have a climate emergency facing us (which could accelerate the rate of pandemics) and we are currently finding out what happens when energy and water shortages strike. It ought to be an absolute no-brainer to try and kill these problems with one stone (because they are connected) but unfortunately people with vested interested are trying to stop it and we have a corrupt political class willing to be bribed to do nothing.
(1) Ensure all properties are properly insulated and double (possibly triple) glazed. - keeping them cool in heatwaves and warm in the winter.
(2) Install solar cells and ground heat pumps on every suitable roof and plot of land.
(3) Harness tidal energy. It's predictable and the UK is an island, so we are in a great position to exploit it.
(4) Green hydrogen may be expensive to produce at the moment but given the raw materials that it requires are plentiful surely it's the way to go? Massive investment is needed here.
(5) Bring the electricity network into the 21st century so that it properly supports input from distributed renewables
(6) More research into mass storage. If pumping water up hill remains only way to store and release large quantities of energy quickly then we may need more reservoirs (which could help water shortages).

Spot on.   Also rain harvesting for every house

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #12199 on: August 14, 2022, 01:20:40 pm »

Unfortunately this current crop of tories, even more than any that have come before them, are more focussed on rape and pillage than their actual duties and responsibilities. Even the current crop of crises (pandemics, fuel prices, and inflation) are viewed with the same zeal to making a killing (pun intended) as the undignified scramble to do well out of Covid proved.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.