Author Topic: Which sportspersons or sportsthings are the fittest?  (Read 13786 times)

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
Re: Which sportspersons or sportsthings are the fittest?
« Reply #120 on: July 9, 2013, 03:49:22 am »
You mean like Big Country?

He's one dude.

I'd have to go with MMA fighters. Some of the training programmes these guys put themselves through are nothing short of inhuman.

From personal experience, nothing tires me out more than sparring in Ju-Jitsu. Wouldn't even like to think how hard professional MMA fighters have to work in a 5-round championship fight. Boxing is very tiring, but nothing is more tiring than having to defend yourself when on your back, with somebody of equal weight and good wrestling/JJ skills on top of you.

Agree with the BJJ bit. People don't appreciate how physically and mentally exhausting it is when you've got someone stronger than you on top of you trying to either choke you out or snap something in your arms or legs. It's going to be much worse if you've been being hit for it and you've tired your own arms out. MMA has to score very well across the board for all the things PoP mentioned. Plus the fuckton of mental toughness you need to be able to drive through when someone's beating the hell out of you.

Oh, and squash too I don't think has got a mention. I think Forbes put it at #1 on the list of sports to burn calories (ahead of swimming, rock-climbing and cross-country skiing IIRC). Obviously it doesn't require the insane strength of other sports, but try pushing yourself to play a really competitive game of squash. it's not happening unless you're super fit.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: July 9, 2013, 06:30:45 am »
He's one dude.

Agree with the BJJ bit. People don't appreciate how physically and mentally exhausting it is when you've got someone stronger than you on top of you trying to either choke you out or snap something in your arms or legs. It's going to be much worse if you've been being hit for it and you've tired your own arms out. MMA has to score very well across the board for all the things PoP mentioned. Plus the fuckton of mental toughness you need to be able to drive through when someone's beating the hell out of you.

Oh, and squash too I don't think has got a mention. I think Forbes put it at #1 on the list of sports to burn calories (ahead of swimming, rock-climbing and cross-country skiing IIRC). Obviously it doesn't require the insane strength of other sports, but try pushing yourself to play a really competitive game of squash. it's not happening unless you're super fit.

It comes down to what we are looking for. I'd agree MMA and AFL are some of the sports that are extrememly physically demanding and where a high level of fitness is ideally needed, I just don't think the sports is yet at a level where top level athletesi are their.

A fair portion of that comes down to the skills and small pool to work from along with MMA being in it's infancy. The best in these sports are generally converts from other sports such as Wrestling, Boxing and BJJ. The pool of talented athletes with a long MMA history is very low and consequently the level of athleticism isn't that high.

Compare that to freestyle wrestling which has been around thousands of years in some form, coaching is well established, it's still popular in USA and Eastern Europe and has guys training in those sports from when they can walk....these guys are simply better athletes and it's why so many of them can come straight over to MMA and quickly dominate.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #122 on: July 9, 2013, 07:09:49 am »
AFL/AussieRules players are extremely fit.

I've watched them train and it's basically run run run run run run run until you vomit ... run run run run run until you vomit more ... run run run run run now your vomitting blood.... ok boys, lets do 10 mins of ball work and trainings done.

Fucking insane.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #123 on: July 9, 2013, 07:36:13 am »
Basketball. It isn't just the running, but the jumping, stopping, accelerating, shoulder work, arm works, etc....

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #124 on: July 9, 2013, 08:18:52 am »
It is a mixed sport, there have been female F1 drivers in the past, Williams currently have a female development driver.

I should have been more clear. I meant the raceday.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
Re: Re: Which sportspersons or sportsthings are the fittest?
« Reply #125 on: July 9, 2013, 08:46:15 am »
Basketball. It isn't just the running, but the jumping, stopping, accelerating, shoulder work, arm works, etc....
Basketball is basically Greco-roman wrestling mixed with sprinting and a spot of darts. And those guys are seriously big. My lads nearly 6foot 2 and he looks like a scrawny runt on his team.

Don't know if it's already been said but the F1 guys used to always win Superstars...

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: July 9, 2013, 10:16:30 am »
I should have been more clear. I meant the raceday.

If a woman can meet the standard they can race, there are no restrictions on gender on raceday. A woman has finished as high as sixth in a grand prix, when Lella Lombardi finished 6th in the Spanish Grand Prix in 1977.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2015, 09:27:39 pm »
On a day when a 20 year old 'athlete' moves from the club that's developed and nurtured him for money (albeit a lot of money) another guy, twice his age was breaking a different kind of record...

http://www.runnersworld.com/trail-racing/scott-jurek-breaks-appalachian-trail-thru-hike-record

When you follow people like Jurek, Kilian Jornet, Rob Krar or to be fair any of the men and women who put their bodies on the line to compete in these sorts of distances, football begins to feel so fucking shabby. I love it - I'm addicted: LFC through and through - but when I'm running it just feels purer.

Whether you're a runner or not - this is worth a read.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 10:13:31 pm by Jinxsy »

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2015, 11:04:40 pm »
Cyclists are the fittest, easy.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2015, 05:03:38 am »

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2015, 09:40:00 am »
Triathletes must be near the top.

Online Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2015, 11:18:07 am »
Triathletes must be near the top.

Good shout. Water polo players are up there aswell. Constantly swimming with virtually no breaks and beating each other up to gain position all while maintaining top notch reflexes, accuracy and hand-eye coordination. The sport is ridiculously demanding.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2015, 11:21:41 am »

Offline barnseysbarmyarmy

• Kopite
  • You know nothing John Snow (except current affairs
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2015, 12:34:19 pm »
Judo players are very fit as are any martial/combat athletes.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2015, 12:40:31 pm »
Ironman competitors?
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2015, 01:05:47 pm »
I would say that any sportsperson taking part in a sport that requires them to use the weight of their body (martial arts, swimming etc) would probably be the fittest because they can't rely on a machine or equipment to help them, although sports like rowing would probably be an exception (then again they get to sit down, so that does help them out).

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2015, 01:25:34 pm »
I remember years ago they did a test of all the top athletes in the world, cyclist, ironman, football whatever. The person who came on top was a squash player called Jansher Khan. Make of that what you will.

Offline Legendary_Nines

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't worry, be happy!
« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2015, 01:30:29 pm »
Ironmen/women.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2015, 01:32:39 pm »
Brian Jacks always used to win on Superstars so it must be judo.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2015, 01:36:57 pm »
At one point Jansher khan was considered to be the fittest sportsman alive.

I remember years ago they did a test of all the top athletes in the world, cyclist, ironman, football whatever. The person who came on top was a squash player called Jansher Khan. Make of that what you will.

Stop bigging yourself up will you!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2015, 01:38:44 pm »

Stop bigging yourself up will you!

Almost 2 years ago to the date. I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, posts from 2 years ago aren't going to be remembered by me unfortunately. :P

See I was correct then as well.

Plus I thought this was a new thread, who resurrects a 2 year old thread.

Right that's my excuses out of the way.

Wait it's Monday, and early and my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2015, 01:39:51 pm »
Did you not have a burger and chips?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2015, 01:40:34 pm »
Did you not have a burger and chips?

Not this weekend no :( Pizza yes, burger and chips no, unfortunately.