Author Topic: Russia launches invasion of Ukraine (*) & use spoiler tags for anything graphic!  (Read 946341 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Thats good to hear that they plan on taking it back.

Their progress has been more or less stagnant throughout the eastern front for two or three weeks.  They are literally donating machinery and weaponary by the hundreds to the Ukrainian forces on an everyday level. And their own supplies are running out with replenishments neither quick nor effective. Their main tank manufacturer apparently has stalled the production because of supply chain issues. Their missile manufacturer cannot produce more than his rate of depletion and will soon hit supply chain problems.

That's a pretty good point. Will Ukraine have difficulty replenishing its munitions, now that Russian industry cannot cope or cannot get its stuff to the front? If Russia can't produce any more tanks, where can Ukraine source replacements?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
McNasty's are withdrawing from Russia.

Disappointing to see the country be rewarded for its aggression.....

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
NATO say it's all gone a bit Pete Tongovich......

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61457622

Nato's secretary general says Russia's war in Ukraine is not going to plan and that its attempt to capture the eastern Donbas region has "stalled".

Jens Stoltenberg also said Ukraine could win the conflict.

Britain's Ministry of Defence (MoD) estimates Russia has lost about a third of its ground combat force since the war began in February.

The Russian invasion has been hampered by stiff Ukrainian resistance and logistical issues.

Its initial goal appeared to be to sweep across the country and topple the Ukrainian government. Instead, Russia has withdrawn from areas around the capital Kyiv after failing to capture it and since mid-April has been focusing its efforts on two eastern provinces.

In Ukraine's second city of Kharkiv, officials say Russian forces have withdrawn from to the border and that residents were returning.

"Russia's war in Ukraine is not going as Moscow had planned," said Mr Stoltenberg.

"They failed to take Kyiv, they are pulling back from around Kharkiv, their major offensive in Donbas has stalled. Russia is not achieving its strategic objectives."

Mr Stoltenberg was speaking at a meeting of Nato foreign ministers.

On top of the military setbacks, another consequence of the invasion is that Russia will likely face an expanded Nato with Sweden and Finland set to join.

Russia's President Vladimir Putin sees Nato as a security threat to Russia and invaded Ukraine in part to stop it joining Nato.

In its assessment, the MoD's estimate of Russia's losses cover men killed or wounded and equipment destroyed or captured.

The MoD said Russia's Donbas offensive had "lost momentum and fallen significantly behind schedule".

It said Russia was constrained by "continued low morale and reduced combat effectiveness".

The British Foreign Secretary, Liz Truss, said Ukraine's allies must keep up their military support to help it "push Russia out".

On the ground. Ukrainian forces are counterattacking in the city of Izyum, regional governor Oleh Sinegubov said, something that could complicate Russian plans to capture the Donbas.

However Ukraine's military also acknowledged setbacks in its latest updates, saying Russia was advancing in several areas in the region.

There has been no let up for the remaining Ukrainian forces in Mariupol, with Russia continuing its bombardment of the steelworks where they are holed up. Video purportedly from inside showed men checking their phones and playing chess.

And in western Ukraine, the governor of the Lviv region said missiles had targeted military infrastructure.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Most of Russia's tank losses seem to have been variations of the T-72, with a handful of their more advanced T-90. Apparently, they have a next generation MBT called the T-14, of which it's estimated around a hundred or so could enter service by the end of the year.

I don't know how may kills can be attributed to it, but the the US Javelin anti-tank missile seems to be very bad news for Russian armour. You have to wonder if Russia will want to risk its more advanced MBTs?

Given the current state of the economy and the knock on affects for manufacturing industry - especially military manufacturing - you don't want to be spending a fortune on weapons like this, only to have them blown to bits by a missile that can be fired by a civilian.

I've no idea how many MBTs Russian started this war with (in total), but they've lost almost 700 in this war so far. That has to be a sizeable fraction of their total tank force?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
For those that like their war stats - here is an independent anlysis of all the Russian hardware losses :

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

- it looks reasonable (does anybody rate this website and their information)? 
they give a lot of details and only report on actual losses (so leas than those of Ukraine Military) backed up by photo or video evidence. I do not know about recaptured equipment

I think this states the obvious - one of Putin's biggest failures is how he has united  Nato and the world against Russia and now with Finland and Sweden applying to join NATO and increased NATO arms budget, Russia/Putin has lead to  a weaker and more isolated Russia rather than what he was hoping for

https://www.newsweek.com/putins-nato-backfire-finland-swedens-military-versus-pre-war-ukraine-1706926?piano_t=1
Putin's NATO Backfire? How Finnish, Swedish Forces Compare With Ukraine's

https://www.rawstory.com/finland-and-sweden-nato/  RUssian CIA analysts assessment of Finland and Sweden NATO application

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 04:47:14 pm by dutchkop »

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Most of Russia's tank losses seem to have been variations of the T-72, with a handful of their more advanced T-90. Apparently, they have a next generation MBT called the T-14, of which it's estimated around a hundred or so could enter service by the end of the year.

I don't know how may kills can be attributed to it, but the the US Javelin anti-tank missile seems to be very bad news for Russian armour. You have to wonder if Russia will want to risk its more advanced MBTs?

Given the current state of the economy and the knock on affects for manufacturing industry - especially military manufacturing - you don't want to be spending a fortune on weapons like this, only to have them blown to bits by a missile that can be fired by a civilian.

I've no idea how many MBTs Russian started this war with (in total), but they've lost almost 700 in this war so far. That has to be a sizeable fraction of their total tank force?

On paper Russia had something like 10,000 MBT’s but how many were maintained and operational no one knows. I have seen pictures online of hundreds of them in storage facilities all rusting away, some have probably been used for spares, some have probably had parts stolen and sold on the black market so the numbers actually available is probably a lot lower then 10,000. As with many things even if you can replace the equipment the operators take a lot longer to replace. Also, let’s not forget the size of Russia and whatever they have available will be spread all over the vast country and its conflict zones in Georgia, Syria etc
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan

The most advanced variant of the T-90 is the T-90M and here is one being destroyed in Ukraine:-

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/russia-ukraine-tank-destroyed-video-b2076028.html

And this is one of the reasons why the Javelin is so effective:-

Many Russian tanks are fitted with a reactive armor designed to absorb the impact of missiles. However, U.S.-made Javelins, for example, are fitted with two warheads: The first one blows the reactive armor away, while the second penetrates the hull underneath.

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-ukraine-war-military-equipment-losses/31847839.html

With regards to the T-14, below are some opinions on the lack of a current deployment. They are about twice the price of a T-90, so losing one would be both costly and damaging to its reputation.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nuFRrqccqzY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nuFRrqccqzY</a>

Previously there have been unconfirmed reports that a T-14 was destroyed in Syria. Given the way the Russian equipment is currently performing, I wouldn't be surprised now if it is true.

https://bulgarianmilitary.com/2020/05/01/an-anti-tank-missile-has-destroyed-the-latest-russian-armata-tank-in-syria/
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
For those that like their war stats - here is an independent anlysis of all the Russian hardware losses :

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

- it looks reasonable (does anybody rate this website and their information)? 
they give a lot of details and only report on actual losses (so leas than those of Ukraine Military) backed up by photo or video evidence. I do not know about recaptured equipment

I think this states the obvious - one of Putin's biggest failures is how he has united  Nato and the world against Russia and now with Finland and Sweden applying to join NATO and increased NATO arms budget, Russia/Putin has lead to  a weaker and more isolated Russia rather than what he was hoping for

https://www.newsweek.com/putins-nato-backfire-finland-swedens-military-versus-pre-war-ukraine-1706926?piano_t=1
Putin's NATO Backfire? How Finnish, Swedish Forces Compare With Ukraine's

https://www.rawstory.com/finland-and-sweden-nato/  RUssian CIA analysts assessment of Finland and Sweden NATO application

Today there was a document shown on Russian Telegram detailing Russian AFV losses up to March 15th for different regiments, and they mirror Oryx’s numbers at 7/10 ratio. Meaning for every 7 AFV’s counted by type Oryx puts up, almost exactly 10 AFV’s by type are lost.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
On the subject of Sweden now also seeking NATO membership, there has now been a joint statement from Denmark, Iceland and Norway and this part really jumped out at me. 

"Should Finland or Sweden be victim of aggression on their territory before obtaining NATO membership, we will assist Finland and Sweden by all means necessary," the three nations pledged.

Quite a strong and determined statement of unity I thought.

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-05-16-22/index.html
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
On the subject of Sweden now also seeking NATO membership, there has now been a joint statement from Denmark, Iceland and Norway and this part really jumped out at me. 

"Should Finland or Sweden be victim of aggression on their territory before obtaining NATO membership, we will assist Finland and Sweden by all means necessary," the three nations pledged.

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-05-16-22/index.html

The first thing that occurred to me though is that Iceland doesn’t really have a military, much like Ireland, so I’m not sure what they could do in an instance like this. Still, a good gesture is a good gesture.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan

As you would imagine, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are definitely supportive of Sweden's and Finland's accession. In WW2, Stalin's forces literally walked across an open border under the guise of a non-aggression pact, at which point the war was lost for Estonia. But their counter-intelligence people managed to capture a Red Army code book and, with that, they assisted their friends across the water in Finland to resist the advances, which resulted in that Winter War experience for a lot of Russians, which helped limit Finland's losses to 10% of their land. I know 10% might sound a lot - but it could so easily have been a lot, lot, lot worse.......

That's the whole point of NATO - defence and deterrence - not aggression and genocide. Putin take note.

"Putin huilo!"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
As you would imagine, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are definitely supportive of Sweden's and Finland's accession. In WW2, Stalin's forces literally walked across an open border under the guise of a non-aggression pact, at which point the war was lost for Estonia. But their counter-intelligence people managed to capture a Red Army code book and, with that, they assisted their friends across the water in Finland to resist the advances, which resulted in that Winter War experience for a lot of Russians, which helped limit Finland's losses to 10% of their land. I know 10% might sound a lot - but it could so easily have been a lot, lot, lot worse.......

That's the whole point of NATO - defence and deterrence - not aggression and genocide. Putin take note.

"Putin huilo!"
What’s happened to the pro Russia wing in Latvia (or are you in Estonia ..I forget!)?

Are they still pro Russia? Or have they reassessed their options in the light of new evidence?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 06:02:16 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
The first thing that occurred to me though is that Iceland doesn’t really have a military, much like Ireland, so I’m not sure what they could do in an instance like this. Still, a good gesture is a good gesture.

Iceland has more impact due to its strategic location for re supply from the US.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Iceland has more impact due to its strategic location for re supply from the US.

But as you say, it would be the US coming to Finland and Sweden’s aid. Iceland is already a NATO country, and the US has a permanent presence there already in Keflavik. The gesture is symbolic in nature, though again it is not a bad one by any means.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 06:09:29 pm by 24∗7 »

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
Today there was a document shown on Russian Telegram detailing Russian AFV losses up to March 15th for different regiments, and they mirror Oryx’s numbers at 7/10 ratio. Meaning for every 7 AFV’s counted by type Oryx puts up, almost exactly 10 AFV’s by type are lost.

thanks

some amazing videos of Russian tanks & planes etc being taken out - mixed in with all the terrible videos, photos of the destruciton of the country and infrastructure, housing,  shops, schools, medical facilities

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
What’s happened to the pro Russia wing in Latvia (or are you in Estonia ..I forget!)?

Are they still pro Russia? Or have they reassessed their options in the light of new evidence?
A lot of pro-Russian voices are wisely keeping quiet in the Baltics.......some are even being expelled.......

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
thanks

some amazing videos of Russian tanks & planes etc being taken out - mixed in with all the terrible videos, photos of the destruciton of the country and infrastructure, housing,  shops, schools, medical facilities

It is a war unfortunately, and the images will put off a lot of people seeking to escape from anymore depressing news. But I hope people will choose not to look away, among the other issues happening around the world.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A mosaic of the major river crossing faliure of the Donets by the Russians. The middle caption written in traditional Chinese says the author is unsure of the connection.

https://twitter.com/arka_voltchek/status/1525911957605388288?s=21&t=AqYKHiqRbTbhYtLN743SwA

The Americans trolling the Russians.

https://twitter.com/usarmyeuraf/status/1526170629141147649?s=21&t=AqYKHiqRbTbhYtLN743SwA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan

And this is one of the reasons why the Javelin is so effective:-

Many Russian tanks are fitted with a reactive armor designed to absorb the impact of missiles. However, U.S.-made Javelins, for example, are fitted with two warheads: The first one blows the reactive armor away, while the second penetrates the hull underneath.

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-ukraine-war-military-equipment-losses/31847839.html

With regards to the T-14, below are some opinions on the lack of a current deployment. They are about twice the price of a T-90, so losing one would be both costly and damaging to its reputation.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nuFRrqccqzY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nuFRrqccqzY</a>

Thanks for that. I also heard one trick they're using with the Javelin is to aim off to the side of the target tank. The MBT's sensors can detect an IR lock-on and deploy countermeasures, but this is apparently easily circumvented if you just don't aim directly at the tank.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
On paper Russia had something like 10,000 MBT’s but how many were maintained and operational no one knows. I have seen pictures online of hundreds of them in storage facilities all rusting away, some have probably been used for spares, some have probably had parts stolen and sold on the black market so the numbers actually available is probably a lot lower then 10,000. As with many things even if you can replace the equipment the operators take a lot longer to replace. Also, let’s not forget the size of Russia and whatever they have available will be spread all over the vast country and its conflict zones in Georgia, Syria etc

Yeah.  I watched a video on the T-90 that suggested Russia had about 2,500 active frontline MBTs, but I've no idea if that number is accurate. They probably have thousands of older models quietly rotting away in military warehouses all over the country, but the days of huge armies and masses of armour are long gone. It would take months/years to go through their surplus to find suitable vehicles they could reactivate, and they likely wouldn't cut it on a modern battlefield anyway.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
But as you say, it would be the US coming to Finland and Sweden’s aid. Iceland is already a NATO country, and the US has a permanent presence there already in Keflavik. The gesture is symbolic in nature, though again it is not a bad one by any means.

Whilst I agree the gesture is largely symbolic, Iceland may be able to provide counter intelligence assets. Maybe there's also old SOSUS arrays that could be reactivated to report on Russian naval activity (could prove very useful for Sweden and Finland).

Popcorn's Art

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah.  I watched a video on the T-90 that suggested Russia had about 2,500 active frontline MBTs, but I've no idea if that number is accurate. They probably have thousands of older models quietly rotting away in military warehouses all over the country, but the days of huge armies and masses of armour are long gone. It would take months/years to go through their surplus to find suitable vehicles they could reactivate, and they likely wouldn't cut it on a modern battlefield anyway.

The other thing to consider is if they start deploying the T-14 and it fares no better then the older tanks against Javlins, NLAWs etc then prospective foreign buyers might think again. I wouldn’t write off the tank, it will still serve a purpose in open environments like deserts I would imagine, I think the biggest game changer so far has been the use of drones not just to identify targets but the modification of civilian drones to drop bombs and how that’s overcome will be something armed forces will need to overcome.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1526329765065539592

Google, show me a brainwashed presenter… The adult in the room tries his best to at least bring some semblance of reality to the debate but still she just keeps shouting him down with bollocks. The fact somebody with extensive military experience is bringing these facts to the table on national telly is a start I suppose.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It seems like the truth is dripping through into Russia:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/17/i-look-at-my-government-differently-losses-in-ukraine-test-russians-faith

Liked this quote:
“Until we know the name of the ‘military genius’ who put a battalion tactical group by the river and he doesn’t answer for it publicly, then there will never be reforms in the army,” wrote Vladlen Tatarzky, the pseudonym used by a Russian blogger and former soldier who has more than 300,000 subscribers on Telegram.

Meanwhile, in unrelated (possibly related) news.....

Putin involved in war ‘at level of colonel or brigadier’, say western sources

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/16/putin-involved-russia-ukraine-war-western-sources

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Liked this quote:
“Until we know the name of the ‘military genius’ who put a battalion tactical group by the river and he doesn’t answer for it publicly, then there will never be reforms in the army,” wrote Vladlen Tatarzky, the pseudonym used by a Russian blogger and former soldier who has more than 300,000 subscribers on Telegram.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/16/putin-involved-russia-ukraine-war-western-sources

It wouldn't be the first time in Russian history when the "Top Man" pushed aside his generals and decided to personally orchestrate a military catastrophe. Didn't Tsar Alexander sack Kutuzov and decide to fight Napoleon at Austerlitz? Certainly that's how Tolstoy tells it in 'War and Peace' (sorry, 'Special Operations and Peace').

Meanwhile, for the benefit of all fans of the great "dissident" Noam Chomsky (still serving a life sentence in the gulags of Alaska), here's his latest wisdom on how the West is to blame for its "insane experiment" (also called "grotesque experiment" and "horrible experiment") in Ukraine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCVN7iV5kVo

What a crackpot he is!
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Meanwhile, for the benefit of all fans of the great "dissident" Noam Chomsky (still serving a life sentence in the gulags of Alaska), here's his latest wisdom on how the West is to blame for its "insane experiment" (also called "grotesque experiment" and "horrible experiment") in Ukraine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCVN7iV5kVo

What a crackpot he is!

Indeed he is. Baffling how so many left leaners hung onto his every proclamation in recent decades. More baffling still that some people are still buying his shit.

At this point all his proclamations just make him sound like an american exceptionalist, ironically. As if Ukraine defending themselves is merely some kind of theatre to the real important stuff in the world (american foreign policy).

It's a bit like the idiotic argument (again decades old, used only by the very parochial and narrow minded) that NATO are expanding borders eastwards and its a form of aggression against Russia. Clearly this is bollocks, but it's also - like the above - western exceptionalism from the usual suspects. What they don't seem to notice is that they are denying people in Eastern Europe and the Baltics any agency, and acting like they're just some fools without their own intentions or desire or intelligence.

They seem to think that they, and the kind of people attending a Stop The War rally, are very smart people and have noticed a conspiracy that the civilised society and political representatives for Estonians Ukrainians, Finns and Latvians were too stupid to spot.

Imagine being so set in your ways to still be attached unthinkingingly to that dumb line of anti-NATO/pro-putin propoganda. A bit like what that retired Russian Colonel/analyst said (thanks for sharing Gerry)- "the most important thing is to remain realistic .... if you don't, then sooner or later reality will bite so hard that you won't know what's hit you"

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Very “Hitler’esque” that, and it pretty much signified the beginning of the of the Third Reich.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Very “Hitler’esque” that, and it pretty much signified the beginning of the of the Third Reich.

Yeah. A twitter thread last night on this was pretty much all screenshots from Downfall....

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake

Very interesting that that was allowed to pass on State television. You would have to think he is under orders to start bringing some reality to the situation, to prepare the Russian public and get some excuses in for the fact that the whole thing has been a shitshow.

The female presenter seems to be struggling to compute anything that isn´t "Glory to Russia, the greatest most powerful nation on earth"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
It wouldn't be the first time in Russian history when the "Top Man" pushed aside his generals and decided to personally orchestrate a military catastrophe. Didn't Tsar Alexander sack Kutuzov and decide to fight Napoleon at Austerlitz? Certainly that's how Tolstoy tells it in 'War and Peace' (sorry, 'Special Operations and Peace').

What a crackpot he is!

Lincoln was tempted when McClellan assembled and trained a marvellous Army of the Potomac and then refused to fight with it. "If you're not using it, could I borrow it?"
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The other thing to consider is if they start deploying the T-14 and it fares no better then the older tanks against Javlins, NLAWs etc then prospective foreign buyers might think again. I wouldn’t write off the tank, it will still serve a purpose in open environments like deserts I would imagine, I think the biggest game changer so far has been the use of drones not just to identify targets but the modification of civilian drones to drop bombs and how that’s overcome will be something armed forces will need to overcome.

Think the T-14 was a step too far technologically for the Russians. It’s basically a complete departure from their previous designs, with an unmanned turret, new gun, new sensors and active protection all at the same time. Seeing how the rest of Russian tech has fared lately, I wouldn’t be surprised if it has also suffered from corruption of the defence industry.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Whilst I agree the gesture is largely symbolic, Iceland may be able to provide counter intelligence assets. Maybe there's also old SOSUS arrays that could be reactivated to report on Russian naval activity (could prove very useful for Sweden and Finland).

The SOSUS was an American system owned and operated by the US Navy that was prone to sabotage by the Soviets. Don’t think it is even physically around anymore.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
I seem to remember reading years ago that automated turrets weren't that great - probably slow and unreliable, especially when reloading the main gun. Obviously, technology has moved on in forty odd years, but yeah, ironing out the kinks for something that has to be smooth, fast and reliable in a battle environment can't be easy.

Reckon the T-14 is probably suffering from over-promises and it may take quite awhile to work out the kinks.

Was just glancing through Wikipedia, which I know is never the most reliable source but I wanted some ballpark figures on Russian MBTs.

25,000 T-72s have apparently been produced since being first introduced almost 50 years ago. When it comes to vehicles operated by Russia, this is what it has to say:

Russia – (active): 2,030 T-72BM "Rogatka", 8,000 in reserve.[39] 270 T-72B3 received in 2013.[40] Additional 143 T-72B3 were delivered as of October 2014.[41][42] 300 were delivered during the year.[43] Planned to continue purchases.[44] 596 were upgraded to T-72B3 before 2015, more than 70[45] in 2015. 30 more as of May 2016.[46] About 1000 tanks have been modernized as of September 2016,[47] +300 (>1,300 up to 2017).[48][49] 40 tanks were delivered in September 2016.[50] +154 T-72B3M in 2017.[51] As of 2021, 850 T-72B3, 550 T-72B3M, and 650 T-72B/T-72BA are in operation.[52]

Apparently, the most numerous tank types in Russian service are the B and B3 versions, which date from the 80s. I also read this about T-72s in Ukraine:

n the buildup to the invasion, Russian forces applied improvised steel grilles to the top of the turret, known as "cope cages" by some analysts,[126][127][128][129] along with British Defence Secretary Ben Wallace.[130] Military analysts have speculated that such grilles were added in an attempt to counter the usage of top-attack weapons, such as the US made FGM-148 Javelin and British-Swedish NLAW, by Ukrainian forces.[131][132][133][134] These implementations add weight to the tank, increase its visual profile, and make it more difficult for the crew to escape from the tank.

The article goes on to cite Oryx as stating 401 T-72s of various types have been destroyed, abandoned or captured in Ukraine. Given that Oryx states 671 MBT losses overall so far, with about twenty being the T-90, the balance must be mostly made up by lost T-80s.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 05:41:15 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
The SOSUS was an American system owned and operated by the US Navy that was prone to sabotage by the Soviets. Don’t think it is even physically around anymore.

Some of it was deactivated in favour of mobile detectors, but some was turned over to civilian use, likely scientific oceanic seismic data collection. Given Iceland's location right on the North Atlantic Ridge, it would not surprise me if some of the network in that region is still operating in some limited capacity. That's just a guess of course, and even if it is, there's no telling if it can produce any worthwhile data. But if it's still operable, I'd be surprised if it wasn't being looked into.

After all, if the Russians think it's now defunct, then there's no longer any reason for them to try to muck around with it. Could be that it's picking up stuff on the sly.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1526329765065539592

Google, show me a brainwashed presenter… The adult in the room tries his best to at least bring some semblance of reality to the debate but still she just keeps shouting him down with bollocks. The fact somebody with extensive military experience is bringing these facts to the table on national telly is a start I suppose.

Just watched this with Ana. Her opinion is worth more than mine though I agree.

"I can't watch her, she's horrible, I can't stand her."
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
variations of the T-72, with a handful of their more advanced T-90. Apparently, they have a next generation MBT called the T-14, of which it's estimated around a hundred or so could enter service by the end of the year.

Whilst drunk, and therefore probably striking an incorrect tone, this didn't half conjure thoughts of Terminators and Nuclear Judgement Day. (and that sentence has kinda killed my buzz)

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Iceland could host Western navy and air forces, so that nothing will be coming past them from the Arctic into the North Sea and Atlantic.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends