Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 632154 times)

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.
« Reply #7240 on: May 6, 2022, 10:59:31 pm »
I didn't enjoy Dr Strange at all:

Spoiler
Just felt like a total drag to me. Was pretty surprised when I left the cinema to see it only ran two hours, because it felt much longer than that to me. Think the major issue is that Strange just isn't that engaging a character - Wanda was by far the most interesting part of the film, and a great villain. But it made Wandavision feel redundant. In that, she puts her grief over Vision's death behind her and realises the damage she's doing. Here, she goes 100x further to save the boys and while the main explanation is the Darkhold taking over her, it didn't quite work for me.

Some great visuals in there, really trippy stuff, but that's not enough IMO. Loads of it felt proper B movie, which isn't surprising considering Raimi directing, but came across a bit out of place.

On the cameos, exciting at first but all were wasted. No idea if Krasinski will be the MCU's Reed Richards, but not bothered either way as this didn't showcase him well at all. One of Marvel's most powerful heroes, and barely got anything in against Wanda. Captain Carter got much better treatment, as did Lashana Lynch's Captain Marvel. A waste of Patrick Stewart too.

Charlize Theron in the post credit too... had to read which character she was playing, and realise she's important to Strange, but it felt so egregious - just shove a famous face in there and hope it gets people excited.

I don't know, maybe it'll improve with a second viewing but felt like one of the weakest Marvel films to me.
[close]

Just back. Pretty much summed it up perfectly for me. I’m just sick of the whole multiverse thing already too.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7241 on: May 6, 2022, 11:27:53 pm »
No direction, no identity, all over the place with new people in there for no reason. Just like the Roy Hodgson days

Spoiler
if this film was to tease the introduction of Reed Richards, don’t bother. What a shocking character that was awful. Turned to spaghetti in 30 seconds.
[close]

Online ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #7242 on: May 7, 2022, 12:13:58 am »
I'm going against the grain and saying it was a top tier one for me.

I dig the fan service and though not a horror guy I felt the references to Raimi's earlier works was pretty cool..

Will add details when I'm on my laptop and can see the spoiler tag

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7243 on: May 7, 2022, 12:21:15 am »
Spoiler
Just watched Scarlet Witch: Multiverse of Madness.
[close]

All a bit meh.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7244 on: May 9, 2022, 08:06:54 am »
The more i think about it, the more i appreciate the good parts from the film but also find more questionable moments or parts to the film. Normally you can say 'well its a comic book film, it doesnt have to make perfect sense' but this is getting too common for a team like Marvel.

My main on
Spoiler
how did Wanda have kids in every other multiverse? Is there a father? If she created them with magic that implies she is just as powerful as our Wanda which isnt reflected in the 'we can handle your little witch' moment
[close]

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7245 on: May 9, 2022, 08:18:52 am »
The more i think about it, the more i appreciate the good parts from the film but also find more questionable moments or parts to the film. Normally you can say 'well its a comic book film, it doesnt have to make perfect sense' but this is getting too common for a team like Marvel.

My main on
Spoiler
how did Wanda have kids in every other multiverse? Is there a father? If she created them with magic that implies she is just as powerful as our Wanda which isnt reflected in the 'we can handle your little witch' moment
[close]

Spoiler
At the end of WandaVision, when she loses her kids, Wanda uses the Darkhold to train herself in witchcraft, whereas the other Wanda's presumably never went through this as they just focused on their kids. Wanda was always powerful but after the events of End Game you wouldn't necessarily expect her to have the strength or the will to murder people like Captain Marvel, the loss of her children made her a completely different person.

The one criticism I have is that she turned bad pretty quickly and unapologetically. I guess it makes sense given that the Darkhold corrupts people and she was with it a long time, but the show felt like it ended on a high note so not seeing her transition was a bit jarring.

Also it'd be nice if they could stop killing off the hottest women in the MCEU.
[close]

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7246 on: May 9, 2022, 09:41:51 am »
Spoiler
At the end of WandaVision, when she loses her kids, Wanda uses the Darkhold to train herself in witchcraft, whereas the other Wanda's presumably never went through this as they just focused on their kids. Wanda was always powerful but after the events of End Game you wouldn't necessarily expect her to have the strength or the will to murder people like Captain Marvel, the loss of her children made her a completely different person.

The one criticism I have is that she turned bad pretty quickly and unapologetically. I guess it makes sense given that the Darkhold corrupts people and she was with it a long time, but the show felt like it ended on a high note so not seeing her transition was a bit jarring.

Also it'd be nice if they could stop killing off the hottest women in the MCEU.
[close]

Spoiler
my issue is, where did the kids come from? Did she create them with magic in every universe? If so, the other universes Wanda must be more powerful than ours because our Wanda could only create and tie them to the hex.

I also dont think she is dead at all, there was a red magic ball produced as the building collapsed
[close]

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #7247 on: May 9, 2022, 12:22:59 pm »
Spoiler
my issue is, where did the kids come from? Did she create them with magic in every universe? If so, the other universes Wanda must be more powerful than ours because our Wanda could only create and tie them to the hex.

I also dont think she is dead at all, there was a red magic ball produced as the building collapsed
[close]

Spoiler
The boys in WandaVision had super-powers; why haven't they in the other universe?

You have to set aside some overall credulity-standards when you're watching any superhero film and just accept their powers. But when the films don't bring consistency within the MCU, then there's a problem.
[close]
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7248 on: May 9, 2022, 12:34:56 pm »
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
I guess that touches upon one issue I did have. Characters like Strange and Scarlet Witch have such diverse powers that it never really feels like the stakes are that high, they can just do anything and everything to get out of a situation. What that leaves is a lot of scope for lazy writing, especially when you factor in the multiverse. It's too easy to just say that in another universe Wanda found a way to make her kids real. We're literally in the territory of "a wizard did it".

I didn't really want to open the can of worms of whether she's dead already, again with the multiverse I think we're in dangerous territory, if characters can come back from other universes and they lean into that, the stakes get lower again.
[close]

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #7249 on: May 9, 2022, 12:44:22 pm »
Spoiler
I guess that touches upon one issue I did have. Characters like Strange and Scarlet Witch have such diverse powers that it never really feels like the stakes are that high, they can just do anything and everything to get out of a situation. What that leaves is a lot of scope for lazy writing, especially when you factor in the multiverse. It's too easy to just say that in another universe Wanda found a way to make her kids real. We're literally in the territory of "a wizard did it".

I didn't really want to open the can of worms of whether she's dead already, again with the multiverse I think we're in dangerous territory, if characters can come back from other universes and they lean into that, the stakes get lower again.
[close]

Spoiler
Somehow Palpatine returned
[close]
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7250 on: May 9, 2022, 01:07:07 pm »

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #7251 on: May 11, 2022, 08:09:27 am »
Went to see Doctor Strange last saturday

Spoiler
I thought it was a good film, nothing more nothing less, Thought Wanda was brilliant as a villain! The illuminati cameos were a bit Meh, did the film really need them????.... be interesting how marvel is going to take this whole multiverse thing forward"
[close]

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #7252 on: May 11, 2022, 09:27:26 am »
Somehow the Multiverse is already boring and...

Spoiler
Why don't they hurry up and bring KANG into it to inject some menace already
[close]
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline losCHUNK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7253 on: May 11, 2022, 12:18:55 pm »
Fair comment.

Avoid all spoilers and you'll enjoy it if you like older Marvel stuff. It's a typical Raimi film too - surprisingly gory.

I wouldn't say it's typical, to me it felt more like a typical Raimi film trying to break out.  Those bits I loved.  I thought the movie was pretty good over all n all.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #7254 on: May 11, 2022, 05:34:33 pm »
Somehow the Multiverse is already boring and...

Spoiler
Why don't they hurry up and bring KANG into it to inject some menace already
[close]

Spoiler
he’s going to appear in the next ant man film for the first time isn’t he?
[close]

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7255 on: May 12, 2022, 09:03:11 am »
Spoiler
he’s going to appear in the next ant man film for the first time isn’t he?
[close]

Spoiler
He is confirmed for the next ant man film but i think we will see him before that. Kevin Feige has confirmed that Sylvie killing 'He who remains' is what has caused the multiverse problems
[close]

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7256 on: May 13, 2022, 12:46:31 pm »
Well I really enjoyed it
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7257 on: May 15, 2022, 12:56:09 am »

Spoiler
The boys in WandaVision had super-powers; why haven't they in the other universe?

You have to set aside some overall credulity-standards when you're watching any superhero film and just accept their powers. But when the films don't bring consistency within the MCU, then there's a problem.
[close]

Spoiler
Well that's the nature of universes, powers and characters might not have the same powers or even look the same (gives them a handy get out clause now for actors changing). They have built themselves in a nice loop hole with the whole universes destroying each other if someone travels between them. Stops the whole headache of if someone dies they can just come back as another version. As a one of cameo, yes, cough iron man cough captain America cough.

I think this multiverse stuff will eventually end, perhaps with one of the avengers films. They can then focus on the Galactus or whichever main villain they want. Can't see if being Kang).

This film, felt a bit of a miss mash. Give it a 6. Not the best, I do worry about the whole witches, zombies, vampires thread of marvel now but hey ho. Hopefully blade is good.
[close]

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #7258 on: May 15, 2022, 08:33:43 pm »
Spoiler
He is confirmed for the next ant man film but i think we will see him before that. Kevin Feige has confirmed that Sylvie killing 'He who remains' is what has caused the multiverse problems
[close]

How has it not been Dr. Strange causing the problems though?

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7259 on: May 15, 2022, 08:48:32 pm »
How has it not been Dr. Strange causing the problems though?

Strange caused problems but Sylvie killed the janitor who would've cleaned up those problems.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7260 on: May 15, 2022, 10:59:34 pm »
Its box-office dropped 67% on the 2nd weekend I bet they are starting to worry a little I have a feeling the new Thor will do well.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7261 on: May 16, 2022, 08:53:21 am »
Strange caused problems but Sylvie killed the janitor who would've cleaned up those problems.

Exactly that. Previously you had Kang or He Who Remains and the TVA that protected the sacred timeline, you would imagine the TVA would have stepped in at atleast one point in Spider Man NWH and then again & again in MoM. However i still dont quite understand the relationship between a Nexus event & a Nexus being (which Wanda is)

Spoiler
As for the Multiverse stuff, i hope Marvel Studios will be more creative than to just use the Multiverse as a way out of stuff all the time. I could see the Multiverse saga ending with a new form of the TVA, possibly a Earth 616 Illuminati
[close]

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7262 on: May 16, 2022, 09:19:43 am »
Exactly that. Previously you had Kang or He Who Remains and the TVA that protected the sacred timeline, you would imagine the TVA would have stepped in at atleast one point in Spider Man NWH and then again & again in MoM. However i still dont quite understand the relationship between a Nexus event & a Nexus being (which Wanda is)

Spoiler
As for the Multiverse stuff, i hope Marvel Studios will be more creative than to just use the Multiverse as a way out of stuff all the time. I could see the Multiverse saga ending with a new form of the TVA, possibly a Earth 616 Illuminati
[close]

I wonder if the plan is to do what they do in the comics from time to time, merge all the universes and then emerge with a new status quo. That could act almost like a soft reset, which might be needed in the next few years for them.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7263 on: May 17, 2022, 11:02:50 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gim2kprjL50" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gim2kprjL50</a>

The trailer is fine but that She-Hulk CGI is awful at points. Hope it improves by the time the show eventually airs.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 11:20:45 pm by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7264 on: May 18, 2022, 09:57:39 am »
Could be good, looks like its got a good cast and some other big hitters
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7265 on: May 18, 2022, 07:14:53 pm »
I'm probably late to this - but Dr. Strange was BORING!!

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7266 on: May 18, 2022, 08:27:42 pm »
I was reading that marvel have brought the rights to Stan Lee so they can give him a CGI cameo in marvel fims
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7267 on: May 19, 2022, 09:12:09 pm »
New Daredevil series in the works at Disney+, according to Variety. That’s an exciting one - be loads of pressure on them to get that right, interesting to see what they do diffferently from the Netflix take. Presumably a bit less mature?

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7268 on: May 19, 2022, 10:31:18 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gim2kprjL50" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gim2kprjL50</a>

The trailer is fine but that She-Hulk CGI is awful at points. Hope it improves by the time the show eventually airs.

Looks terrible on every level, once they've done the 'she's Hulk and carries her man/tinder jokes'. Like an SNL spoof on the MCU.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #7269 on: May 19, 2022, 11:57:50 pm »
Doctor Strange was shit.
:D

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #7270 on: May 24, 2022, 08:44:02 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Go8nTmfrQd8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Go8nTmfrQd8</a>
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #7271 on: May 24, 2022, 08:48:21 am »
Think i need to stop watching trailers, think i'd rather go watch a film without knowing anything at all about whats going to happen

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7272 on: May 24, 2022, 09:20:44 am »
Looks awesome.....but yeah they really could do with being a bit more clandestine when they've got a blockbuster coming out. Its a bit like 'look at this new Thor movie, its got Christian Bale in as a silver guy, its got fucking Natalie Portman as a woman Thor wielding Mjolnir, its got all of the Guardians of the Galaxy in, its going to have Idris Elba coming back to life, we'll get Loki in there, we're gonna bring back Ironman and Captain America, and all the X-Men are gonna be in it, and Deadpool, you'll be so fucking shocked'
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7273 on: May 24, 2022, 09:44:35 am »
Looks awesome.....but yeah they really could do with being a bit more clandestine when they've got a blockbuster coming out. Its a bit like 'look at this new Thor movie, its got Christian Bale in as a silver guy, its got fucking Natalie Portman as a woman Thor wielding Mjolnir, its got all of the Guardians of the Galaxy in, its going to have Idris Elba coming back to life, we'll get Loki in there, we're gonna bring back Ironman and Captain America, and all the X-Men are gonna be in it, and Deadpool, you'll be so fucking shocked'

Fucking hell man SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7274 on: May 24, 2022, 11:28:06 am »

Well you seemed to have missed out on someone, Superman's fucking Dad is in it!

The Multi-DC-plus-Marvel-o-verse is confirmed.

Wibble.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7275 on: May 24, 2022, 11:36:10 am »
Bale looks a bit generic does he not? Hopefully not another Malekith.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7276 on: May 24, 2022, 11:52:16 am »
Bale looks a bit generic does he not? Hopefully not another Malekith.

I've got high hopes. Waititi reckons he's going to be the best MCU villain yet, although I guess he would say that. Still, he did a great job with Hela in the last movie so you'd expect Gorr to be good too.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7277 on: May 24, 2022, 11:59:17 am »
Not that impressed with that trailer to be honest. Thought Ragnarok was great, it got the balance between comedy and action / drama just right, but this is just going all out on the comedy and that's not a good idea when it's not actually that funny. I mean that scene at the end was like something out of a Carry On film.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #7278 on: May 24, 2022, 12:38:33 pm »
Stylistically it's a weird fit between the movies, but surely there's got to be some link to the Eternals here? Bringing the Greek pantheon into things (and Moon Knight recently giving us existing Egyptian deities). Didn't Eternals show us that human religions evolved around worshipping them?

There's got to be a point to that movie eventually, right?

(Haven't seen Dr Strange yet if there's something in that)
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7279 on: May 24, 2022, 12:45:54 pm »
Stylistically it's a weird fit between the movies, but surely there's got to be some link to the Eternals here? Bringing the Greek pantheon into things (and Moon Knight recently giving us existing Egyptian deities). Didn't Eternals show us that human religions evolved around worshipping them?

There's got to be a point to that movie eventually, right?

(Haven't seen Dr Strange yet if there's something in that)

Gods are a huge theme in MCU right now.

I've learnt my lesson from Dr Strange to not get too absorbed in rumours and theories. Watch the trailers and expect nothing more