Author Topic: Cat advice thread  (Read 89249 times)

Offline 24/7

• "There are some things you can only learn in a storm, en route to Dundee..."
  • RAWK Resident Nihilist
  • Legacy Fan
  • Loves to check his log!
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Cat advice thread
« Reply #1080 on: January 19, 2023, 10:08:11 am »
Cheers mate, interested in the insight. She’s sat on my lap now while I work, good as gold, as if she didn’t try and attack me about 3 times yesterday.
Primary recommendation is to consult a cat psychologist who can meet with her. There's something triggering her, if it's not physical then it's mental. What 'breed' is she, or if she's a moggy, is there any obvious cross-breed? Cats have a whole range of neurological conditions that can affect behaviour at seemingly random points. One of ours is mainly ragdoll and she has the flickering eyes syndrome but is otherwise healthy, if a bit aggressive at times. In your case, it's most likely she has an up until know undiagnosed physical pain trigger, possibly neurological in origin. Have you tried any calming solutions, such as feliway collars or vapour diffuser?

List what the vet has checked, get a 2nd opinion from another one, see if the other one has a view on what else might be causing it, seek out a local cat psychologist.

Also - https://meowtel.com/blog/post/how-to-handle-and-prevent-a-cat-attack
None of this really matters in the end. None of it. Everything is utterly pointless. Even football. Nothing whatsoever really matters.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1081 on: January 19, 2023, 06:06:43 pm »
Cheers for the info. Will take a look at some environmental factors then maybe another vet trip if it continues. Cat psychologist is probably something I can’t bring myself to spend money on but we’ll see how it goes.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1082 on: January 19, 2023, 08:45:21 pm »
That is strange!

Have you changed anything around the house? Like moved her littler or her feeding bowls? Denied her access to any spaces she previously enjoyed?

Hopefully it’s something simple and she returns to her normal self soon!
JFT96.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1083 on: January 20, 2023, 02:05:32 pm »
Cheers for the info. Will take a look at some environmental factors then maybe another vet trip if it continues. Cat psychologist is probably something I can’t bring myself to spend money on but we’ll see how it goes.

Can appreciate it being an annoying individual outlay, but if you try to imagine the cost spread across all of the happy months & years spent with a happy cat you'll probably find it worth it.

Offline 24/7

• RAWK Resident Nihilist
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1084 on: January 20, 2023, 02:26:29 pm »
Can appreciate it being an annoying individual outlay, but if you try to imagine the cost spread across all of the happy months & years spent with a happy cat you'll probably find it worth it.
And we can recommend one that we hired to deal with our pissy little kitten ;D Her advice worked. She does online consultations and isn't as expensive as one might think.
None of this really matters in the end. None of it. Everything is utterly pointless. Even football. Nothing whatsoever really matters.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century this girl does two together
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1085 on: January 20, 2023, 02:40:24 pm »
Cheers mate, interested in the insight. She’s sat on my lap now while I work, good as gold, as if she didn’t try and attack me about 3 times yesterday.

Is she actually aggressive, or does she just get zoomies and is playing a bit rough? Mine will try and nip my legs and feet if I'm not getting up in the morning, but in a friendly way and only if purring and pawing my face hasn't worked.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline lfcmaster45

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1086 on: January 20, 2023, 07:23:13 pm »
Cats are the best , so user friendly

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1087 on: January 21, 2023, 04:27:48 am »
And we can recommend one that we hired to deal with our pissy little kitten ;D Her advice worked. She does online consultations and isn't as expensive as one might think.

Cats like to hide and attack,our Titch was a right little bastard for it.

When I'd be washing up he used to love sprinting up and landing on the back of my thighs with all 4 paws and hang there with be squealing and then push himself off,run and hide and then jump me again.

He also latch onto your arm whilst fussing him,right out of the blue.He's
 calmed it a bit as he's got older,but the little twat likes laying on his back,all soft like butter wouldn't melt shit but I know his intentions and I'm sure that the little bastard knows I know as he really hams it up when you ignore him.

Some are just little shits
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 04:30:50 am by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: January 25, 2023, 03:19:33 pm »
Ours doesn't seem himself today he's doing this weird thing where he can't seem to open his mouth. He tried to yawn before and it's like his mouth is glued shut and his jaw is chewing away as if trying to free it. That plus he is out of sorts. I Googled it and it all looks very worrying. He's going the vet in an hour so I'll find out but I hope he makes a liar of me and was just pissing about.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diva
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #1089 on: January 25, 2023, 03:27:00 pm »
Ours doesn't seem himself today he's doing this weird thing where he can't seem to open his mouth. He tried to yawn before and it's like his mouth is glued shut and his jaw is chewing away as if trying to free it. That plus he is out of sorts. I Googled it and it all looks very worrying. He's going the vet in an hour so I'll find out but I hope he makes a liar of me and was just pissing about.
Only thing I can offer isn’t positive.

Our previous cat had a tumour behind one of his eyes which eventually led to him being unable to open his mouth at which point we had him put to sleep.
But this happened gradually over a couple of months and the initial sign that led to diagnosis was that one of his pupils remained big all the time. Might be completely unrelated if it’s happened quickly. But you’re doing the right thing in getting him to the vets
When I see the Bill Shankly statue, I look at the sentiment on the base. It says: 'He made the people happy’. Well now the modern Liverpool is making the fans and the city happy. And that makes me so proud." - Gerard Houllier

Offline 24/7

• RAWK Resident Nihilist
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: January 25, 2023, 03:33:22 pm »
Hope the little fella pulls through and it's just lockjaw, treatable.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1091 on: January 25, 2023, 04:11:49 pm »

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1092 on: January 25, 2023, 06:23:14 pm »
Got back a little while ago. She said he doesn’t have an infection, heart, lungs and stomach are fine. She said his throat is sensitive when she touched it and it’s likely he’s eaten something which may have scratched his throat. She gave him an anti-inflammatory injection and he seems a bit better.

Quite grateful he’s probably just being dramatic as like duvva said above, not being able to open his mouth could have indicated a lot worse.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diva
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #1093 on: January 25, 2023, 06:35:43 pm »
Got back a little while ago. She said he doesn’t have an infection, heart, lungs and stomach are fine. She said his throat is sensitive when she touched it and it’s likely he’s eaten something which may have scratched his throat. She gave him an anti-inflammatory injection and he seems a bit better.

Quite grateful he’s probably just being dramatic as like duvva said above, not being able to open his mouth could have indicated a lot worse.
Relieved for you, hope he gets back to himself soon. He’s probably just a bit of a diva… like me… allegedly
When I see the Bill Shankly statue, I look at the sentiment on the base. It says: 'He made the people happy’. Well now the modern Liverpool is making the fans and the city happy. And that makes me so proud." - Gerard Houllier

Offline 24/7

• RAWK Resident Nihilist
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1094 on: January 25, 2023, 06:39:49 pm »
Phew...!

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century this girl does two together
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: January 25, 2023, 09:11:15 pm »
I've found googling signs of illness in cats wil always tell you its an absolute emergency and they need to see a vet right now!! My suspicion is that its lot of vet sites that want to get you worried and charge you for treating / checking. A lot of stuff seems to come from America too.

Anyway, glad it seems its not too serious, and hopefully he'll be better soon!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline 24/7

• RAWK Resident Nihilist
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: January 25, 2023, 09:42:16 pm »
On the other hand, it could be cats who wrote those sites just to make us fret and fuss over them 🤔🤣