Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 175547 times)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #1680 on: May 17, 2022, 08:54:12 pm »
All, I am in need of a good petrol mower with a rear roller for my garden.

I don't want to bankrupt myself.

Any advice?

Can't really go wrong with an atco and like most quality makes, you can get good reconditioned ones at dealers.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1681 on: May 20, 2022, 03:40:08 pm »
The best thing I have done in a long time was start my Wildflower patch it seems to change everyday right now I have about 5 different Poppies suddenly appear can't believe I got excited when I saw a red butterfly on the plants earlier sadly it was gone before I could get a photo before this I have only seen cabbage white like Butterflys

A women was taking picture of the flowers the other day and she told me the garden looked beautiful that's never happened before.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 04:07:57 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1682 on: May 20, 2022, 04:25:12 pm »
Superb Trada, must look great when in bloom.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1683 on: May 22, 2022, 08:22:21 pm »
The heat and the showers of late the plants will fly up out of the ground.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1684 on: May 22, 2022, 08:23:27 pm »
I'll post pics of my plants when they bloom.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1685 on: May 22, 2022, 09:06:23 pm »
The heat and the showers of late the plants will fly up out of the ground.

What heat?  It's like fucking November here, grey, cold and blowing a gale 🤷
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 09:08:21 pm by reddebs »

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1686 on: May 22, 2022, 09:31:18 pm »
What heat?  It's like fucking November here, grey, cold and blowing a gale 🤷

Its not bad in Dublin, wet and sunny at times.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1687 on: May 22, 2022, 09:36:45 pm »
Its not bad in Dublin, wet and sunny at times.

All my plants are huddled in a corner scared to come out in case they get ripped to shreds or shrivel in the cold.

End of bleeding May and it's barely hitting 13° with a "fresh" 25 mile an hour breeze.

I've known milder Christmases for Christ's sake.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1688 on: May 27, 2022, 09:26:36 pm »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1690 on: May 27, 2022, 09:45:53 pm »
Fab that mate 👍

Cheers Debs, looking forward to it coming into full bloom.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1691 on: May 27, 2022, 10:06:02 pm »
Cheers Debs, looking forward to it coming into full bloom.

Tell me about it mate, mines the same.

Bits and bobs appearing but just not quite there.  The roses look like they'll be impressive this year, absolutely covered in buds and I've grown loads of stuff from seed that I've no idea if they'll flower or not but most of them seem healthy enough so fingers crossed.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1692 on: May 29, 2022, 03:21:25 pm »
Trying to keep the fucking slugs and snails away from certain plants will be the end of me ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1693 on: June 6, 2022, 11:20:46 am »
We needed that rain but I could've done without half the plants being battered to death.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #1694 on: June 12, 2022, 08:48:13 am »
How's everyone getting on?

Just had my first ever homegrown strawberries with my breakfast. Great way to start the day!!

Peas are coming on strongly, gooseberry and blackberry bushes started and doing ok (should fruit next year). Chilli's progress is glacial. Wildflowers doing fine. Some have flowered already but most are in the bud stage and ready to go (went for more poppies in the seed mix this year). More traditional garden plants in bloom as well with some looking more windswept than others after the last couple of days.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1695 on: June 12, 2022, 09:22:31 am »

Just had my first ever homegrown strawberries with my breakfast. Great way to start the day!!

Peas are coming on strongly, gooseberry and blackberry bushes started and doing ok (should fruit next year). Chilli's progress is glacial. Wildflowers doing fine. Some have flowered already but most are in the bud stage and ready to go (went for more poppies in the seed mix this year). More traditional garden plants in bloom as well with some looking more windswept than others after the last couple of days.

I've just been out to survey the wind damage from the last few days which has pretty much decimated the potatoes, poppies and salvias.

The cultivated strawberry's have plenty on them but they're only about pea size still although the wild ones are looking good.

The roses are looking spectacular this year but I've put a lot into looking after them since last year.

The onions have done really well too and some of them look massive already.

None of the plants I've grown from seed are anywhere near flowering yet but we've just not had enough warm weather to help them along.

My one thing that has been a success though is the escallonia hedge I've planted.  All grown from cuttings last year, we planted them out late March and it already looks like a hedge.  Fingers crossd by next year it'll help protect that part of the garden that gets battered by westerly winds.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1696 on: June 12, 2022, 12:51:47 pm »

That sounds ace. Chillies are a bit slow but my longhorn is a few inches tall now.

The Peony I got, with blood red leaves, is blooming. Kept him alive all winter, satisfying, he's outside again, losing his petals but he seems to enjoy it most when it is boiling and I lightly mist the bulbs and he blooms again

So... Chilli plant on the washing line as it gets a lot of sun there, slugs can't reach it (I have a dryer, no greenhouse). I'm gonna have a row of them, three or four. Tomato plant ordered. It's satisfying having stuff you pick yourself. Starting late this year so everything after this point with me plugs or young plants not seeds

Japanese Azalea in the front. He's tiny now but he's gonna be big and orange. Starting to plan more for the future, the back garden could be beautiful, so I'm using my bonus to make it so.

Got a professional coming round
I've lost my parents, don't really have anyone I can ask. I'm happy digging, I can keep stuff alive. Basically gonna find a business that trigger my creativity and imagination because I barely know the names of anything but sometimes your best art is when you're blind and fumbling

I have some ideas but I'd have to dig up the names I've learned. The actual act of planting, care, watering, learning acidity or not, using rainwater not tapwater, I dunno, a lot of that comes naturally to me

The bees are gonna love me
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 12:56:10 pm by ToneLa »

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1697 on: June 12, 2022, 01:20:01 pm »
Find watching YouTube videos pretty useful. Other than that, general intuition plus trial and error help enormously.

Wildflowers really helping attract wildlife even though they're only in a fairly small container. Got visiting birds now that I definitely didn't have a couple of years ago. Last week or so I've got red-tailed bumblebees coming along for a feed as well. Never even knew they existed.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1698 on: June 15, 2022, 02:48:16 pm »
That's brilliant your strawbs are ready already!

Our wild bit has gone mental over the last few weeks, it's superb. The whole mulch for a year thing then sow the seed on the dead soil worked a treat! The only surprise has been a couple of tatties coming through in the middle of the flowers (we saved up seed from other plants and stuff my in-laws gave us, as well as some root cuttings from other places around the garden). It really feels like a garden all of a sudden and yeah - the instagram and youtube vids are key - the one highest value thing I've seen is how to take cuttings of lavender because from a tray of eight of them, we now have loads of them growing round the new bit (just little for now, but starting to bulk themselves out a bit). Amazing to think 3 years ago you couldn't plant something in that bit of ground and expect it to survive, cos the weeds would just kill it. That even applied to tree seedlings - we got a cherry tree from my brother in law and it got strangled too!

Now it's a blank canvas - it really does work (Charles Dowding is the fella on youtube who was the most useful on preparing the ground and killing the ground elder and other bad stuff off).

Suppose it's a bit mad killing off a wild bit to create a wild bit, but the wild bit is a load of flowers and edible plants now instead of just three or four plants dominating and looking really shit.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 02:51:59 pm by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1699 on: June 15, 2022, 03:56:12 pm »
Quick question about our pots...got some violas in there that have bloomed and now withered. Are they done for the summer or if I dead head them will more grow back?

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
  • Doubters into believers
« Reply #1700 on: June 15, 2022, 07:37:29 pm »
Deadhead, cut back anything too messy, keep moist/well-drained, partial shade and they should flower for the rest of the year.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1701 on: June 15, 2022, 11:22:11 pm »
Deadhead, cut back anything too messy, keep moist/well-drained, partial shade and they should flower for the rest of the year.
Bit harsh on Nick there mate, he's a novice gardener.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1702 on: June 16, 2022, 08:51:28 am »
Bit harsh on Nick there mate, he's a novice gardener.

:D

Novice? How dare you, my roses are blooming John!

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #1703 on: June 16, 2022, 11:25:47 am »
 ;D
And I forgot to say, make sure you're feeding potted plants regularly as well.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1704 on: June 16, 2022, 12:50:44 pm »

Great pics there Trada.  Looks like you've got opium poppy, as well as the red native one.  I also spotted borage in there too.  Not a native plant, but it's a fantastic addition to a wildlife friendly garden.  They are bee magnets!

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1705 on: June 17, 2022, 09:20:04 am »
Bought a wisteria from B&M for about £20. Reading online, it says that grafted versions are much better than those grown from seed/cuttings/root stock(?) and that it might not even be worth bothering with the ones grown from the latter as they won't flower.

Thing is, the wisteria I bought looks like it was grown from seed but had plenty of flowers on it when we picked it up (albeit they've dropped off now)

Any suggestions - is it worth bothering with?

Here's a photo if anyone can offer an opinion.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 09:27:55 am by .adam »

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1706 on: June 17, 2022, 06:32:33 pm »
No idea .adam

Still in the novice/beginner/intermediate stage here and never grown it.

Popped into my local Homebase here today. Loads of rubbish on sale that was obviously well on its way out. Had a good rummage for about 10mins or so as I didn't have anything else on. Found a healthy looking Red Demon chilli plant for £1.12. It's about 6 inches in height, had a couple of straggly leaves that I cut off when I got him home and loads of buds ready to go. Might be worth having a browse if you've got a homebase nearby and some free time.

ToneLa...I refrained from hanging him on my washing line... but that's a top tip if ever I saw one 🤩

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1707 on: June 17, 2022, 07:22:46 pm »
Bought a wisteria from B&M for about £20. Reading online, it says that grafted versions are much better than those grown from seed/cuttings/root stock(?) and that it might not even be worth bothering with the ones grown from the latter as they won't flower.

Thing is, the wisteria I bought looks like it was grown from seed but had plenty of flowers on it when we picked it up (albeit they've dropped off now)

If you remove soil from around the stem you will be able to see if it was grafted or not.

Looks nice and healthy though
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #1708 on: June 17, 2022, 07:24:27 pm »
It looks healthy enough adam, and the fact that it has already flowered suggests it should do again, but they don't flower for long so maybe you've just gone past the flowering stage. If you follow the guides for growing them then I see no reason why you won't get a healthy outcome.

Does anyone have 'hot lips' salvia growing? If not, I highly recommend them. Lovely to look at, amazing scent, and the bees go absolutely crazy for them.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1709 on: June 17, 2022, 09:03:26 pm »
:D

Novice? How dare you, my roses are blooming John!
Have you and Sarge got a side gig on that you're keeping me out of  :)
Must admit, Roses are doing ok this year.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1710 on: June 17, 2022, 09:14:00 pm »

Does anyone have 'hot lips' salvia growing? If not, I highly recommend them. Lovely to look at, amazing scent, and the bees go absolutely crazy for them.

Yes mate. I'd never seen or heard of them until about 2 years ago. My cousin gives me loads of cuttings and I have a small plant that is superb.

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #1711 on: June 17, 2022, 10:10:44 pm »
I had a cutting off someone a couple of years back and within one year it had gone from a little stem of several inches to a four foot wide bush with hundreds of flowers on. Easy to look after, grows like mental. A great addition that one.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #1712 on: June 18, 2022, 07:44:39 am »
It looks healthy enough adam, and the fact that it has already flowered suggests it should do again, but they don't flower for long so maybe you've just gone past the flowering stage. If you follow the guides for growing them then I see no reason why you won't get a healthy outcome.

Yeah got a couple of the hot lips ones, and some other varieties as well.  They grow so quick, love them.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1713 on: June 18, 2022, 10:07:18 pm »

Great plant and is a hardy fucker too.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1714 on: June 20, 2022, 11:50:12 am »

Bloody hell, that's brilliant!

We've layered ours with great success - two baby plants after scraping the stem and popping them under a layer of earth for a year. We got ours as a wedding present.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 12:48:26 pm by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1715 on: June 20, 2022, 03:44:17 pm »
Finally most of the plants I've grown from seed are starting to through up buds so I might get some colour in the garden soon.

Just put in a ceanothus and ordered another £80 worth of compact flowering shrubs mainly to fill one border.

The roses are particularly beautiful this year.  Not sure if that's down to how much attention they've had or if they'd have been as spectacular anyway 🤷

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1716 on: June 23, 2022, 11:43:02 am »
The pics are tremendous!

Quick question - our Virginia Creeper... we think it's dead (for some reason - it's gone strong for years and years but there's no sign of foliage this year... usually there is). Anyone heard of one of those passing away for not much reason? We have a little shoot from the foot of it coming through so all is not lost... but the gable end of the back of the house is gonna look a little bare if it goes. *sobs*

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1717 on: June 23, 2022, 12:02:23 pm »
The pics are tremendous!

Quick question - our Virginia Creeper... we think it's dead (for some reason - it's gone strong for years and years but there's no sign of foliage this year... usually there is). Anyone heard of one of those passing away for not much reason? We have a little shoot from the foot of it coming through so all is not lost... but the gable end of the back of the house is gonna look a little bare if it goes. *sobs*

Oh no 😔  they're absolutely beautiful but I believe a pain in the ass to look after though I have no experience of growing or caring for one.

At least there is still signs of life though Roy so hopefully it'll pull through somehow 🙏

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1718 on: June 23, 2022, 12:07:16 pm »
The pics are tremendous!

We had some all over the front of our old house. Looked really nice, especially in autumn as the leaves turned red (although a pain in the arse to sweep up!). Anyway, we got someone round to ‘tidy it up’ one spring and they cut it back so much that it never grew back. Still go past the old house and it looks pretty bare. :(

But that was human incompetence rather than any disease or anything like that.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1719 on: June 23, 2022, 01:52:47 pm »
Ta both - looking at it, and looking at the gardening forums after googling it, it does seem that drought can kill it (either restricting foliage to the top and the ground level, or just ground level, or killing it).

It has been incredibly dry here - the streams have run dry in some places even (and I've never seen that happen in this general area - it's come close at times, but there's literally no water in places). We have a climbing hydrangea that's wilting regularly (we do have a stream that does have water, so I have a little well dug from that and I water with gorilla tubs of water taken from there)... so I think the dry weather's taken it to the brink and it's effectively binned off the bits it can't keep alive. That's guesswork mind... but I suppose we'll just need to see if it comes back to life over the course of the autumn. It's in a pot too, which maybe makes it worse. We have ivy at the other side and the wisteria growing from round the corner so it'll not even be noticable in a few years' time... but harumph. I don't like things dying!