Author Topic: UK GE and Local Elections, plus polls, and policy.  (Read 42642 times)

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: UK GE and Local Elections, plus polls, and policy.
« Reply #840 on: May 2, 2024, 08:13:05 pm »

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: May 2, 2024, 08:16:53 pm »
If the Tories grab those Mayoral elections then it won't matter how bad they do the rest of the night. The RW media will trumpet from the rooftops that the corner has been turned. They don't really have a choice, but it's a narrative that can't be allowed to gain any traction.

This is the last big test before the election so I'm hoping Labour match expectations. I still remember 1992, where the locals took place after the GE; it was so stomach wrenching as the defeat hurt so much and was unexpected. The Tories actually made gains in the locals as all the Labour voters were too depressed to go out and vote. The 1992 locals remain the only election I ever skipped.

With a bit of luck, these locals confirm the polls.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: May 2, 2024, 08:22:25 pm »
Yep. It's f*cked here and i'm ashamed to be currently living here in one of the wards where i fear the pig headed b*llend who is running for Reform is going to get in.

Stuck my vote in for the Labour candidate but i don't think it'll matter, makes me ill thinking about it.

Thankfully I'm only there for a couple of days every 5 or 6 weeks but it's been the same conversation since pre Brexit. 

Immigrants ruining the country.

Taking the jobs.
Taking the benefits.
Taking school places
Taking doctors appointments.
Taking the houses.

I have to bite my tongue so as not to lay into them but at least I don't have to listen to it every day now I've moved

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #844 on: May 2, 2024, 08:34:47 pm »
If the Tories grab those Mayoral elections then it won't matter how bad they do the rest of the night. The RW media will trumpet from the rooftops that the corner has been turned. They don't really have a choice, but it's a narrative that can't be allowed to gain any traction.

This is the last big test before the election so I'm hoping Labour match expectations. I still remember 1992, where the locals took place after the GE; it was so stomach wrenching as the defeat hurt so much and was unexpected. The Tories actually made gains in the locals as all the Labour voters were too depressed to go out and vote. The 1992 locals remain the only election I ever skipped.

With a bit of luck, these locals confirm the polls.

I wouldnt stress about the locals, the Tories are toast in the general election. Also Hall isnt winning London.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: May 2, 2024, 08:37:18 pm »
Peak Johnson

Yep, the rules dont apply to me.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #846 on: May 2, 2024, 09:31:23 pm »
Politics UK
@PolitlcsUK
🚨 UPDATE: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson tried to use an envelope with his name and address on it as photo ID

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1786127915106644121

What a moron. :lmao
#Sausages

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #847 on: May 2, 2024, 09:33:07 pm »
Peak Johnson
I'm assuming that sadly this  will fail a fact check. So Im not going to and I'm just going to enjoy the moment.

I applied for one a few months ago but it's not arrived. I forgot about it. I don't think they are polling here ( and I have passport and dl), but still....
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: May 2, 2024, 09:44:37 pm »
I'm assuming that sadly this  will fail a fact check. So Im not going to and I'm just going to enjoy the moment.

I applied for one a few months ago but it's not arrived. I forgot about it. I don't think they are polling here ( and I have passport and dl), but still....

It was in the Guardian.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #849 on: May 2, 2024, 09:45:19 pm »
It was in the Guardian.
Definitely don't belive it then 😊
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #851 on: May 2, 2024, 10:02:31 pm »
#Sausages

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #852 on: May 2, 2024, 10:05:05 pm »
I presume he did it for a bit of free publicity, looking like a  complete weapon never seems to have done him any harm with his core vote.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #853 on: May 2, 2024, 10:05:22 pm »
@BritainElects
NEW | Our 2024 local election forecast:

Net change in council seats for...
-478 | Conservative
+273 | Labour
+129 | Lib Dem
+52 | Greeen
+24 | Other

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: May 2, 2024, 10:06:10 pm »
@BritainElects

-478 | Conservative
+273 | Labour
+129 | Lib Dem
+52 | Greeen
+24 | Other

Lolz

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: May 2, 2024, 10:11:44 pm »
@BritainElects

-478 | Conservative
+273 | Labour
+129 | Lib Dem
+52 | Greeen
+24 | Other
Ooof!  I think the only silver lining for the Tories might be retaining the Birmingham mayor.  I don't see that appeasing many of the Tory MPs though.

Online Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: May 2, 2024, 10:13:20 pm »
@BritainElects

-478 | Conservative
+273 | Labour
+129 | Lib Dem
+52 | Greeen
+24 | Other

Bloodbath.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: May 2, 2024, 10:13:45 pm »
@BritainElects

-478 | Conservative
+273 | Labour
+129 | Lib Dem
+52 | Greeen
+24 | Other

That would be Utopia.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #858 on: May 2, 2024, 10:14:37 pm »
Bring it on.  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #859 on: May 2, 2024, 10:16:40 pm »
Ooof!  I think the only silver lining for the Tories might be retaining the Birmingham mayor.  I don't see that appeasing many of the Tory MPs though.

Hasn't Street basically distanced himself from the Tories as much as possible to try and win that?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: May 2, 2024, 10:19:44 pm »
Hasn't Street basically distanced himself from the Tories as much as possible to try and win that?

Sounds like the West Mids race is going to be tight, sadly it does sound like Houchen will win in Tees valley.

Khan should win London comfortably enough, but the lower turnout is the more nervous he will be.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: May 2, 2024, 10:21:28 pm »
Sounds like the West Mids race is going to be tight, sadly it does sound like Houchen will win in Tees valley.

Khan should win London comfortably enough, but the lower turnout is the more nervous he will be.

Houchen was always going to win that. Plus the North East are wrong un’s.

Think Street will nick the West Midlands one. If he loses that then there will be much more loud calls for Sunak to go.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: May 2, 2024, 10:24:27 pm »
Labour winning the North Yorkshire mayoral vote though would be a story that would cut through, especially given Sunak represents a seat in the area.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: May 2, 2024, 10:32:54 pm »
Houchen was always going to win that. Plus the North East are wrong un’s.

Think Street will nick the West Midlands one. If he loses that then there will be much more loud calls for Sunak to go.
They do seem to have some weird Tory fetish recently.  I know it's been the poster area for levelling up but for every pound spent on a headline grabber the Tories will have taken five back through cuts.

Houchen is a great example of it with minor achievements like Darlington being the northern base for the Treasury being championed but the ongoing Teeswork scandal overlooked by many.  I think a change of administration there and a more transparent look at the bookkeeping could see Houchen in a spot of bother with the law.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: May 2, 2024, 10:36:19 pm »
@BritainElects

-478 | Conservative
+273 | Labour
+129 | Lib Dem
+52 | Greeen
+24 | Other
Hmmm this is actually really quite a lot worse than the reasonable worst case scenarios being put up inthe last few days.  Nobody had them losing more than 400 seats. Nobody.

Oh well, never mind, how sad.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: May 2, 2024, 10:37:51 pm »
There's the Blackpool South by-election as well.

Britain Elects predicting a 20 point Labour win.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #866 on: May 2, 2024, 10:40:32 pm »
Hmmm this is actually really quite a lot worse than the reasonable worst case scenarios being put up inthe last few days.  Nobody had them losing more than 400 seats. Nobody.

Oh well, never mind, how sad.

I definitely heard talk of 400 losses for the Tories as a reasonable realistic bad scenario.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: May 2, 2024, 10:43:38 pm »
Yes that seat loss projection seems a bit on the heavy side

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #868 on: May 2, 2024, 10:44:17 pm »
Election Maps UK
@ElectionMapsUK
·
Follow
Some Early *RUMOURS*...

1. Blackpool South nailed on LAB GAIN – Reform 15-20%

2. LAB confident of widespread gains – some significant (e.g. Rushmoor) – although some pockets of weakness (Oxford, Rochdale)

3. Khan likely to hold London but will be closer than expected.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1786140409539792975

#Sausages

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: May 2, 2024, 10:44:18 pm »
I definitely heard talk of 400 losses for the Tories as a reasonable realistic bad scenario.
and it’s 20% worse even than that!
W

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: May 2, 2024, 10:49:35 pm »
@BritainElects

-478 | Conservative
+273 | Labour
+129 | Lib Dem
+52 | Greeen
+24 | Other

The Tories will probably champion anything less than 500 losses as a triumph. :D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: May 2, 2024, 10:54:40 pm »
@georgeeaton
Labour aide says they expect London to be “very, very close”.

Even a close win would be a shock here, considering Labour are 20pts ahead nationally (which must be even higher in London).
Reflects terribly on Khan, but also the Tories - any reasonably moderate candidate (if they still exist) could probably have won.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #872 on: May 2, 2024, 10:56:46 pm »
The Tories will probably champion anything less than 500 losses as a triumph. :D

If they take London that will be their win right there.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: May 2, 2024, 10:57:45 pm »
@georgeeaton

Even a close win would be a shock here, considering Labour are 20pts ahead nationally (which must be even higher in London).
Reflects terribly on Khan, but also the Tories - any reasonably moderate candidate (if they still exist) could probably have won.

Yep Labour will be breathing a sigh of relief that they went for Hall. Strategically great as ULEZ is at peak disastisfaction.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: May 2, 2024, 11:00:52 pm »
Turnout will be everything in London, there is a significant minority who viscerally hate Khan, they will vote for Hall whatever, the Labour vote probably a bit less motivated to be honest.

The lower turnout is, the more worried Labour will be.

I suspect Khan wins but it will be closer than expected.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: May 2, 2024, 11:04:06 pm »
Just to add there is also a by-election today, which Labour looks likely to have won.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #876 on: May 2, 2024, 11:05:52 pm »
@georgeeaton

Would be pretty damning for the pollsters if the result is close. The smallest lead recorded this year for Khan by any poll was 13%.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: May 2, 2024, 11:07:16 pm »
Would be pretty damning for the pollsters if the result is close. The smallest lead recorded this year for Khan by any poll was 13%.
The count doesn’t start until saturnday so how anyone could make these predictions is baffling.
W

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #878 on: May 2, 2024, 11:21:41 pm »
Turnout will be everything in London, there is a significant minority who viscerally hate Khan, they will vote for Hall whatever, the Labour vote probably a bit less motivated to be honest.

The lower turnout is, the more worried Labour will be.

I suspect Khan wins but it will be closer than expected.

Suspect the turnout is low in London, why they think the result is going to be close
#Sausages

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: May 3, 2024, 12:38:28 am »
Suspect the turnout is low in London, why they think the result is going to be close

Bookies not too convinced mind you, Hall is 12/1 to win