Author Topic: Holidays 2024 - What's your plans?  (Read 9575 times)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Holidays 2024 - What's your plans?
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2024, 09:23:07 pm »
Actually had a look at a few days away end of Feb or early March and was pleasantly surprised at some prices, especially for Portugal. 

Doubt we'll go anywhere but that's the first time I've looked for holidays abroad for probably over 5yrs 😁

Planning on going down to my sister's in Carmarthenshire next month to help her move house though 👍

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2024, 11:08:35 pm »
Hamburg for a few days with my mate in March. We both lived there for a year on a uni year abroad, used to go annually but not been since 2019, looking forward to seeing how much more of the historic Reeperbahn they've flattened to build hotels.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2024, 05:09:01 pm »
just got back from five weeks away - had to beg a little to get that much time off in a consecutive period

3 weeks india: varanasi, amritsar, delhi, vadodara, ahmedabad and kerala (kerala is incredible)
few days in kuala lumpur
2 weeks in bali
few days in singapore

was an incredible trip.

the 'popular' parts of bali seems completely oversaturated with tourists and digital nomads, though. actually feels almost to the point it might be at a breaking point one day. there's a few areas with basically minimal-to-no remnants of balinese culture (beyond the superficial) which is pretty sad. don't get me wrong though, an amazing place to visit with lots of... interesting... characters everywhere.

i's like to go mexico in november for day of the dead. has anyone been? thinking maybe a flight to mexico city and a return from oaxaca for a trip of about 10 days or so.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 05:26:55 pm by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2024, 08:16:23 pm »
just got back from five weeks away - had to beg a little to get that much time off in a consecutive period

3 weeks india: varanasi, amritsar, delhi, vadodara, ahmedabad and kerala (kerala is incredible)
few days in kuala lumpur
2 weeks in bali
few days in singapore

was an incredible trip.

the 'popular' parts of bali seems completely oversaturated with tourists and digital nomads, though. actually feels almost to the point it might be at a breaking point one day. there's a few areas with basically minimal-to-no remnants of balinese culture (beyond the superficial) which is pretty sad. don't get me wrong though, an amazing place to visit with lots of... interesting... characters everywhere.

i's like to go mexico in november for day of the dead. has anyone been? thinking maybe a flight to mexico city and a return from oaxaca for a trip of about 10 days or so.

The Canaries is like that, there has been graffiti sprayed saying "tourists and digital nomads go home" and protests in Tenerife.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2024, 09:15:48 pm »

few days in kuala lumpur
2 weeks in bali
few days in singapore

was an incredible trip.

the best thing Bali could do at this point- similar to other over-visited places - is to increase the cost of visas by 100% and put limits on the digital nomad types by taxing what they earn in Indonesia.

yes it'd piss off a lot of ppl but in some parts the place is going from heaven on earth to - well not hell, but something less than pleasant.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2024, 09:49:56 am »
Hamburg for a few days with my mate in March. We both lived there for a year on a uni year abroad, used to go annually but not been since 2019, looking forward to seeing how much more of the historic Reeperbahn they've flattened to build hotels.

I went twice two years on the spin in 2016 and 2017.  Didn't realise they were flattening parts of it.

This year we are looking at a long break late in the year. Brisbane (I have family and a uni friend over there then the real reason is combining a trip to Manila and Singapore.

My partner was born in Manila and we are both runners so are running the rock and roll race then Singapore for more of the same.

We've called off an earlier trip in the year for personal reasons, but I don't know if we'll get away outside of that.

Well in saying that I do have my flights and hotel booked mid May for Dublin. £100 return from Birmingham so I'm going either way

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2024, 12:09:54 pm »

3 weeks india: varanasi

Wow - great trip.
Did you find anywhere to watch the match? I’m there for the Man U game in April

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #87 on: February 7, 2024, 11:22:10 am »
I've just read about an elderly couple being scammed for visas to Australia. Admittedly it's about 15 years since I went, but don't recall sorting one. To save me googling, does anyone know if we do need one?

Both are UK citizens with seven or so years left on the passport

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: February 7, 2024, 11:29:09 am »
Always use the Foreign Office website when checking visa requirements for UK citizens.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/entry-requirements

British citizens can usually get the following types of electronic visitor visa:

- eVisitor visa. There is no visa application charge or service fee
- Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) via the iOS App or Android App. There is no visa application charge, but a service fee of A$20 may apply
Information on all other types of visa is available from the Department of Home Affairs.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #89 on: February 7, 2024, 11:59:38 am »
Thanks. Yeah I use the links in the Foreign Office website as I know someone who got stung with the US esta a while back

Cheers, it's free then.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #90 on: February 7, 2024, 04:02:56 pm »

few days in kuala lumpur
2 weeks in bali
few days in singapore

was an incredible trip.

Been to Kerala and got to agree that it's an amazing holiday destination. Can do loads of different thing there -  city (Cochin), back waters, western ghats for wildlife, kovalam beach.

I agree on the Bali bit as well. It was 10-15 years since I went and it was overly touristy then. I didn't like it at all. Far better places to go in the Far East in my opinion.

Quite liked Singapore and Kuala Lumpar when I went. Thought KL was the better and more interesting place though. What did you think of them?

Got 3 holidays booked for 2024 so fat - Madeira, Miami/Orlando and Maldives. Spread out throughout the year so I can get a break every 4 months or so.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2024, 02:18:18 pm »
the best thing Bali could do at this point- similar to other over-visited places - is to increase the cost of visas by 100% and put limits on the digital nomad types by taxing what they earn in Indonesia.

yes it'd piss off a lot of ppl but in some parts the place is going from heaven on earth to - well not hell, but something less than pleasant.

There is no real saving the digital nomad / party areas but thankfully it’s a big island so very easy to avoid those areas and still have an authentic experience. Although these days it’s best to use Bali as a connection to the islands further east like Sumba, Lombok, Flores etc for a much more enjoyable and unique experience.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 02:21:20 pm by JovaJova »
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2024, 06:30:59 pm »
Had a cruise booked for 8 of us in April form Dubai to Southampton visiting Oman , Jordan , transit through the suez then a few stops in Europe , was cancelled due to the Middle East situation a few weeks back . Got a really good deal for the same dates in April so now flying to capetown and heading back to Southampton via Wavis bay , Canary isles and Lisbon .

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2024, 09:37:21 pm »
Has anyone been to Malaga and got recommendations on where to stay?

We had a terrible Air B n B experience last year so prefer to stay in hotel.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2024, 11:07:29 am »
Has anyone been to Malaga and got recommendations on where to stay?

We had a terrible Air B n B experience last year so prefer to stay in hotel.

Ha i'm looking at AirBNB there for this year so this gives nerves....with 3 year old in tow need apartment not hotel.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2024, 08:00:07 pm »
Went to Malaga last year, stayed at Apartamentos Libere Malaga Teatro Romano and Nono Charming Stay either side of going to Granada. I would recommend both of them, both had a kitchen with an induction hob and a fridge as well.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2024, 03:36:06 am »
I also did an apartment in Malaga last year - a really great City, one of the best holidays I've ever had, pretty much did the same thing every day, brekkie for a couple of euros from Los Valle**, go the beach for a swim, and finish off with a sweet wine or Vemouth in the Old Guard wine-house*, them pitufo (smurf-bread  ;D) ham and cheese rolls are bloddy lovely, and the churros  :lickin, the Canyon hike and the Hammam are also amazing, great place - dinner at 11:00pm - siesta - the lot, would love to retire there in Southern Spain.

must be a thousand bars and restaurants in the centre, you can eat and drink for < 10 euro to $$$ - it's a great place.

** https://restaurantguru.com/Los-Valle-Malaga

* https://www.myguidemalaga.com/nightlife/antigua-casa-de-guardia

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2024, 08:45:05 am »
Malaga’s brilliant isn’t it. Went a couple of years ago just after Christmas and it warm enough to sit outdoors on the beach in t-shirts eating sardines. So many good bars and restaurants.

We stayed at the Hotel California (yeah I know ;D) and to be honest I wouldn’t recommend it. The walls were very thin and you could hear the couple in the next room’s antics in horrendously clear detail. And jeez did he have some stamina :o  Made me feel thoroughly inadequate ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2024, 04:36:40 pm »
Got back from our week there yesterday, had a great week, weather was the best we’ve ever had at this time of the year, 25c to 29c every day, clear blue skies, warm nights. Only let down was Siam Park, I didn’t know they had closed the wave pool for a full refurb and this involved closing the beach, everyone was sat on the pathways in metal deck chairs, we spent 4 hours sat in chairs outside one of the café’s, kids did 4 rides in 3.5 hours, the place was rammed – annoyed the fuck out of us all.

As soon as our youngest's Prom weekend is over, we're off to Tenerife, staying at the Iberostar Selection Anthelia.

There’s a street called Calle Londres, runs from the roundabout near your hotel and parallel with the beach – about half way down is a restaurant on the corner called Hawai, the street that is on has a few restaurants on it, we had a really nice meal at a place called Leonardos which was half way down the street, cost about 100 euros for the 4 of us.

At the bottom of the hill is Azars, staff are miserable fuckers but the Dorada is 1.50 a pint 10am to 6pm. Waxy ONeils on the beach promenade had loads of screens for the footy, Testarossa does a 3 course deal for 11.50 pp, not huge portions, but the food was lovely, beer was 1.50. Da Angelos about 800yds further down does great deals on Tapas, me and the lad shared 6 dishes, cost 18 Euros. There’s a place called Blue Cactus just down from there, we went in there 3 nights for bevvies as there were live bands on. Missus liked the Elvis Bar as it had Karaoke and tribute acts, kids liked it as the pool table was always free and was only 1 euro

We also ate at a place called Marfil, out near the Bouganville Hotel, think it was 15 euros for the 3 course deal, again lovely and the next time I had mixed paella, cost 15 euros and it was ace
Jurgen YNWA

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2024, 04:50:26 pm »
Lisbon for a weekend booked so far but not main holiday. I've got flights booked and a cancellable hotel so if anyone can recommend a hotel near Bairroo Alto with a pool give me a shout  hotel I have looks a bit out the way towards Parque Eduardo

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2024, 05:45:58 pm »
zip

:thumbup

Big thanks for the recommendations, Rob
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2024, 11:14:13 pm »
Going to Prague for a few days in 2 weeks. Any recommendations on where is best to stay or is everywhere pretty much commutable on the tram system on the periphery of the city centre?
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2024, 08:13:18 am »
Criccieth, Ullswater (Lakes), fishing in west France, Corfu, stag do in Budapest, Aberystwyth and Filey (North Yorkshire) in the diary so far. Looking at going up to the Highlands too at some point again this year.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2024, 10:17:43 am »
Bit of time in Northern Ireland for me in the summer, and hoping we might squeeze a week in the Canaries in October. Will be calling on Rob for advice no doubt!

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2024, 10:24:03 am »
Hoping to get down to Llandysul to see my sister for a few days next month. 

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2024, 10:28:06 am »
Bit of time in Northern Ireland for me in the summer, and hoping we might squeeze a week in the Canaries in October. Will be calling on Rob for advice no doubt!

Puerta Del Carmen on Lanzarote is lovely, you already know Torviscas/Fanabe is great
Jurgen YNWA

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2024, 11:06:01 am »
Just back from a last min trip to Barcelona. Has been years since we'd been having had 2 trips cancelled during covid. Enjoyed it every bit as I always - great weather for early Feb, and plenty of good food, drink and people watching!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2024, 11:24:57 am »
Just back from a last min trip to Barcelona. Has been years since we'd been having had 2 trips cancelled during covid. Enjoyed it every bit as I always - great weather for early Feb, and plenty of good food, drink and people watching!

Missus took me to Barcelona in March 2009, 1st anniversary present and I was surprised how warm it was, it was in the 70's
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2024, 11:50:50 am »
Off to Cuidad Quesada near Torrevieja , Spain in April for a week  to visit friends who moved there from Liverpool last year .
We visited similar time last year and the weather was fantastic, its a working town so most things ( bars and restaurants ) open all year round
We visited a great beach resort Guardamar and managed to get into the sea
Hopefully the weather will be as kind this time we visit , they had the hottest winter ever last year apparently.
Seriously thinking of moving there ourselves but since Brexit its become a nightmare 
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Online whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2024, 12:03:00 pm »
Going to Sardinia at the end of May, Santa Margherita di Pula.  First time going and looking forward to it.
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2024, 01:16:19 pm »
Looking to book Cape Verde at the end of the month for late April, has anybody ever been?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2024, 02:01:21 pm »
Going to Sardinia at the end of May, Santa Margherita di Pula.  First time going and looking forward to it.
We went to Pittulongu, near Olbia on the North Eastern side of Sardinia. It was beautiful. Great snorkelling too.

I hope you enjoy it.  8)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2024, 02:03:06 pm »
Missus took me to Barcelona in March 2009, 1st anniversary present and I was surprised how warm it was, it was in the 70's
Same one November when we were there. T-shirt weather even at night.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2024, 02:24:01 pm »
Looking to book Cape Verde at the end of the month for late April, has anybody ever been?

Been to Boa Vista, was quite a few years ago now but really liked it, sea was rough as fuck but weather was great. Parents are going for the first time next month.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2024, 03:53:55 pm »
Been to Boa Vista, was quite a few years ago now but really liked it, sea was rough as fuck but weather was great. Parents are going for the first time next month.

Also been to Boa Vista late last year - seems to be warm all year round like was 90 end of Oct/early November last year so imagine same in April. Sea was rough red flag all time but could have a swim but loads of rocks to knock into. Would recommend it over canaries.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2024, 01:17:49 pm »
Cheers guys - was there much to do there other than lounge by the pool / beach and have a bite to eat in the evening?

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2024, 01:18:41 pm »
Off to Japan a month today.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2024, 02:19:16 pm »

Jealous.

Where in Japan are you going?

It’s on my list of potential 2025 destinations. Biggest drawback is that I’ve heard it’s not great to visit in our summer months (due to weather and how busy it is)
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2024, 02:33:06 pm »
Cheers guys - was there much to do there other than lounge by the pool / beach and have a bite to eat in the evening?

No - we although never left the hotel  except for a walk down the beach. theres a small town with a few restaurants but hotel was that good and the weather we just stayed in it. First time I've done it usually go stir crazy in those types of all inclusive resorts but this was quite chilled out.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2024, 09:24:04 am »
Hugely jealous. I’m setting aside money for a ‘big’ trip next year, but we’re wrestling between Japan and Vietnam alongside Cambodia.

For me, 4 nights in Berlin coming up which has become a logistical nightmare due to the footy fixtures. I was stupid really, Liverpool v City was never going to be a Saturday 15:00, but I didn’t think it would be moved to the slot it has, completely forgetting the Europa League. As such, because we had separate bookings, I’ve cancelled my flight, my partner will still head to Berlin on our Sunday morning flight, while I race from Anfield to Manchester airport in order to follow her out there. Should be fine, we’ve done similar stuff before.

Then Costa Brava in July for a week for a friend’s wedding. Hopefully can fit another City break or quick winter sun in before the end of the year.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez