Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 177713 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #1640 on: May 2, 2022, 12:33:42 pm »
Looks a bit more like a Lawson’s Cypress to me.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #1641 on: May 2, 2022, 04:02:55 pm »
I'm trying to identify some trees in my garden, but my botanic knowledge is fairly basic - can anyone identify any of these?

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1642 on: May 2, 2022, 05:04:38 pm »
Ta guys!

I think we have the third one too Zeppelin. Don’t know what it is tho!
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1643 on: May 2, 2022, 05:39:58 pm »
I'm trying to identify some trees in my garden, but my botanic knowledge is fairly basic - can anyone identify any of these?

3rd one is a buddleia or butterfly bush and will have either purple or white flowers in the summer.

I recognise all the others but can't remember their names 🤦

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1644 on: May 2, 2022, 05:41:07 pm »
Thompson and Morgan have an offer on.

Nurserymans Choice Perennial Mix 36 Plugs + 5 seeds

Hardy Perennial

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/nurserymans-choice-perennial-mix-36-plugs-5-seeds/wkf0172TM

Sign up for an account and them put this code in TM_TN3002W  you just pay £5.99 delivery,the free packs of seeds should be worth that alone.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1645 on: May 2, 2022, 07:21:06 pm »
That’s brilliant! Ta mate that’s gonna be great in our new bit
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1646 on: May 5, 2022, 03:02:05 pm »
Have a plum tree - it's gotten outta hand and needs pruning. Point is, it's really old, covered in moss and it's showing some rot, but still produces an impressive amount of fruit - so really do not want to kill it.

Question is, when is the best time of year to prune a (old) plum tree? I belive I read somewhere that plumtrees have lots of sap, meaning that you can pretty much do it whenever you want. Others say in spring, others again say late summer, (and there's a difference between fruit with stones and fruit with cores and so forth)..

Soo, when? Anyone?

Ta
@Yvanicuzz

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1647 on: May 5, 2022, 04:46:37 pm »
Have a plum tree - it's gotten outta hand and needs pruning. Point is, it's really old, covered in moss and it's showing some rot, but still produces an impressive amount of fruit - so really do not want to kill it.

Question is, when is the best time of year to prune a (old) plum tree? I belive I read somewhere that plumtrees have lots of sap, meaning that you can pretty much do it whenever you want. Others say in spring, others again say late summer, (and there's a difference between fruit with stones and fruit with cores and so forth)..

Soo, when? Anyone?

Ta

It's a funny one this mate cos I was asking the same thing a couple of months ago - this is quite good.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/fruit/plums/pruning#:~:text=Plum%20trees%20do%20not%20require,infection%20by%20silver%20leaf%20disease.

Our main plum tree is half dead (literally - one side is rotting), so we stuck the newer pruned suckers in the ground - anyway three of them have rooted - so you might get a new tree or two for nothing.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1648 on: May 6, 2022, 04:09:11 pm »
Ok, think I'll get to it in... 'not so long', then.

And good tip re planting the pruned ones, gonna give that a go. Thanks mate
@Yvanicuzz

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1649 on: May 7, 2022, 10:30:54 am »
Thompson and Morgan have an offer on.

Nurserymans Choice Perennial Mix 36 Plugs + 5 seeds

Hardy Perennial

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/nurserymans-choice-perennial-mix-36-plugs-5-seeds/wkf0172TM

Sign up for an account and them put this code in TM_TN3002W  you just pay £5.99 delivery,the free packs of seeds should be worth that alone.

This is worth a bump I reckon

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1650 on: May 7, 2022, 01:29:02 pm »
Not sure if that will still be live but this is one from Suttons (basically the same company)

48 Perennials order code SUSN562 (ends at midnight)

https://www.suttons.co.uk/flower-plants/all/nurserymans-choice-perennial-mix_mh9302

I didn't really need any more but got them as I wanted some tomatoes

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1651 on: May 8, 2022, 05:43:48 pm »
If anyone is interested that free offer has been extended until 12am tomorrow.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #1652 on: May 8, 2022, 05:52:52 pm »
Surprised there were no x rated posts in here yesterday what with it being #nakedgardeningday

Disappointing :)
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1653 on: May 8, 2022, 06:24:08 pm »
Surprised there were no x rated posts in here yesterday what with it being #nakedgardeningday

Disappointing :)

I was going to post a picture of my support for the day but I once got a warning for posting a picture of Frank Butcher in stockings and suspenders,so I thought better of it  ;D

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1654 on: May 9, 2022, 11:22:58 am »
Not sure if that will still be live but this is one from Suttons (basically the same company)

48 Perennials order code SUSN562 (ends at midnight)

https://www.suttons.co.uk/flower-plants/all/nurserymans-choice-perennial-mix_mh9302

I didn't really need any more but got them as I wanted some tomatoes

Ah man you are the DON!

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1655 on: May 9, 2022, 12:31:15 pm »
BTW folks, the warm weekend was a revelation on the composting front - first time I've ever opened that gumtree tumbler and steam was billowing out of it.

Meanwhile the mesh bays are decaying down material really quickly - it seems to be working really well. It's this set up.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcgSrG8IQDK/

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1656 on: May 9, 2022, 03:32:53 pm »
BTW folks, the warm weekend was a revelation on the composting front - first time I've ever opened that gumtree tumbler and steam was billowing out of it.

Meanwhile the mesh bays are decaying down material really quickly - it seems to be working really well. It's this set up.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcgSrG8IQDK/

My composts are failing miserably again.  I just can't get enough heat into the 2 biggest ones so they're not breaking down properly and I'm having to sieve it before using it.

A right pain in the arse!

I just don't seem to be able to get enough brown stuff in there in comparison to the green 🤷

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1657 on: May 9, 2022, 03:35:26 pm »
My composts are failing miserably again.  I just can't get enough heat into the 2 biggest ones so they're not breaking down properly and I'm having to sieve it before using it.

A right pain in the arse!

I just don't seem to be able to get enough brown stuff in there in comparison to the green 🤷

Have you tried wrapping it with pond liner or bin bags  ?

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1658 on: May 9, 2022, 05:03:50 pm »

No I hadn't but it's a bit big. 

They're made out of pallets and sit side by side so measure about 7ft X 4ft and about 5ft high 🤷

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1659 on: May 9, 2022, 07:26:44 pm »
No I hadn't but it's a bit big. 

They're made out of pallets and sit side by side so measure about 7ft X 4ft and about 5ft high 🤷

Pond liner isn't that expensive & it would certainly heat it up.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1660 on: May 9, 2022, 08:02:11 pm »
Pond liner isn't that expensive & it would certainly heat it up.

It's plastic though so I'd rather get a load of newspapers off someone and buy a bale of straw or some wood chip then cover it with cardboard to see if that works.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1661 on: May 11, 2022, 11:45:01 am »
Just looking out onto my garden on this wet Wednesday and was admiring my Japanese Maple when I remembered this post from 10 years ago.

The Pride and joy of my garden though is my Acer Palmatum (Japanese Maple). I chose the 'Bloodgood' cultivar for its potential for lovely dark red leaves.  When i took delivery of the sorry looking cultivar in the Spring of 2011 I was most disappointed but planted it anyway. It made a slight bit of progress during 2011...But this year it has probably tripled in size and has loads of luscious dark red leaves and is looking bloody great.

Now 11 years old, its still my pride and joy. 

As some of the daft females on my Facebook feed would say "aww he's so grown up"  :)

Offline christinav

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1662 on: May 11, 2022, 12:45:49 pm »
I was planning on purchasing a Chapin 20 or 24 volt backpack sprayer in a few months, but there are numerous negative reviews for both models(battery issues, leaking, etc.).
Have you had any problems?
Would you recommend the 20 or 24 volt?
Is there another electric sprayer you would recommend in a similar price range?
I have read some reviews in this site.
Thank you.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1663 on: May 11, 2022, 07:09:54 pm »
That’s brilliant! Ta mate that’s gonna be great in our new bit

Took delivery today and got a decent mix (6 plugs of each) that were all healthy.

Most happy with the seeds though (£11.57 worth) as they're the ones on the listing and not pot luck,saved me having to get some French Marigolds that I needed for companion planting,some more scented sweet peas,wild primrose,double cosmos and a pack of lobelia.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1664 on: May 11, 2022, 09:11:15 pm »
Just looking out onto my garden on this wet Wednesday and was admiring my Japanese Maple when I remembered this post from 10 years ago.

Love that pic mate, gorgeous. I've got a small 2-year old one. I moved it last year when it seemed suffering but its livened up now.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1665 on: May 11, 2022, 09:12:44 pm »
Took delivery today and got a decent mix (6 plugs of each) that were all healthy.

Most happy with the seeds though (£11.57 worth) as they're the ones on the listing and not pot luck,saved me having to get some French Marigolds that I needed for companion planting,some more scented sweet peas,wild primrose,double cosmos and a pack of lobelia.

Mine came today. My cousin is coming tomorrow so I'll share them all with her. She loves getting things going for me in her greenhouse.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1666 on: May 11, 2022, 09:49:33 pm »
Mine came today. My cousin is coming tomorrow so I'll share them all with her. She loves getting things going for me in her greenhouse.

Lucky sod.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1667 on: May 12, 2022, 10:14:42 am »

Tin foil I was thinking on mine. But putting the holes/chimneys in really helped on mine - I'm starting a new set now once I've emptied them.

The 'hot bin' composters are proper insulated polystyrene jobbies. There's an irish fella who made his own on youtube which was quite good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP20LkAZJIc
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 10:16:46 am by royhendo »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1668 on: May 13, 2022, 04:30:27 pm »
Got a Peony in the most gorgeous dark red last year

Was minding my old man with Alzheimers so when winter came I put her in the garage and watered her every couple weeks and since I brought her out I've lavished her but astutely as you do for flowers. So tomato feed a couple times otherwise just shine and rain which I don't as yet control

She is beaming lately. Absolutely gorgeous to me..

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1669 on: May 13, 2022, 08:42:02 pm »
That's lovely Tone, they're a brilliant plant.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1670 on: May 15, 2022, 09:11:34 pm »

I've only had this for about 3 years but they're really establishing themselves now. It's a type of Lilly, does anyone know what it is?

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1671 on: May 15, 2022, 09:58:35 pm »

I've only had this for about 3 years but they're really establishing themselves now. It's a type of Lilly, does anyone know what it is?

Are they not flag iris John?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1672 on: May 15, 2022, 10:04:55 pm »
Are they not flag iris John?
Yes :) you're right Debs.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1673 on: May 15, 2022, 11:00:42 pm »
Yes :) you're right Debs.

Beautiful plants and colour 👍

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1674 on: May 16, 2022, 11:36:50 am »
Amazing how early those are out John - ours are still 'in progress' and I reckon we'll be another month before they appear.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1675 on: May 16, 2022, 03:26:47 pm »
Amazing how early those are out John - ours are still 'in progress' and I reckon we'll be another month before they appear.
Last year I had a single lovely flower, this year they've really flourished :)

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1676 on: May 16, 2022, 03:34:32 pm »
Three years ago we had one big ring of them John, hidden away in a really shaded spot of the old garden. We dug 3/4 of them out and transplanted them all over the garden and they're multiplying - massive big rhizome chunks - you just dig them into a shallow little trench and they do the rest (I think you can even leave the chunk on the surface so it heats up better. Anyway, they're now all round the garden - dead easy to propagate.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #1677 on: May 16, 2022, 04:26:17 pm »
Finally made the jump and giving some fruit and veg a go. Got a pea plant started and it's already making quick progress climbing up the stakes I placed in the container to help it climb. Got a chilli plant off to a decent start as well. Took advantage of a rainy afternoon to fashion a strawberry planter out of an old wooden toy box in preparation for planting out tomorrow. Gonna try one or two other things but haven't decided what yet. Will probably make my mind up when I'm in the garden centre tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 04:28:23 pm by cormorant »
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1678 on: May 16, 2022, 05:23:02 pm »
Yes, flag iris are a great plant to grow.  I got rid of all my purple ones in the pond, and replaced with native yellow species (after I divided the main plant).  Tough as old boots them, pull them out during winter, cut them into as many individuals as you want, then plant and watch them grow.

I love watching the bees land on the flower and crawl right inside.  The purple ones have closed flowers I believe.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:00:39 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline viewing only

• Main Stander
« Reply #1679 on: May 17, 2022, 12:13:46 pm »
All, I am in need of a good petrol mower with a rear roller for my garden.

I don't want to bankrupt myself.

Any advice?