Author Topic: Steven Gerrard: Sign Up (He Didn't), Or Ship Out (He Will) - updated 3pm  (Read 16532 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
I am not a great one for predictions, as they are the airborne egg ready to impact with the face. But last season I made two particularly bold ones, which, fortunately for me, proved true. (I won't mention a couple that didn't!) In March, before the Juventus quarter-final, stating that Liverpool would go on to win the Champions League. And before then, last summer, when the news stories containing the words 'Gerrard' and 'Chelsea' broke, that the Liverpool captain was going nowhere.

He stayed.

However, the saga rumbled on throughout the season, to the point where it began to overshadow the club, and disrupt the team's preparations for key games. He stayed, but was it just temporary? He also came far closer to leaving last summer than I anticipated; I underestimated the lure of Chelsea. Where Everton found freedom in losing Rooney, Liverpool found a media circus surrounding Gerrard.

But now Chelsea are back, and this time –– actually for the first time –– with an official £32m bid. (It's amazing how close a player can actually come to leaving in order to join a club who hadn't actually bid for him.)

And this time the situation is more delicately poised: two years remaining on a contract is make-or-break time. That's when big players need to sign new contracts otherwise, as seen with Michael Owen, their value more than halves in twelve months' time, and twelve months after that they are 'worthless'. Keeping Gerrard until 2006, without him signing a new deal, would effectively wipe £15-25m off his value. Either he stays or he goes –– there can be none of the 'in-between' of last season. Sign up, or ship out. It really is that simple. Time to put sentiment aside, and look at it in cold, hard terms.

[Edit: within 90 minutes of publishing this, news broke of his transfer request. I didn't expect an answer quite so quickly. As I said: it really was make-or-break time. At least the club has a decision, and can now plan for its future with enough time to sort replacements].

Touch and go

One of the great dilemmas when writing "Golden Past, Red Future" was how to handle the Gerrard saga, given it was one of the main themes of last season. Documenting what went on was mostly simple enough; as was stating how good the player himself is, including listing his myriad qualities. But how to conclude it? At the time the book went to print, it looked like he was staying: he had said as much himself, albeit in the heat of an emotional moment in Istanbul. But I wasn't foolish enough to categorically state, in writing, that he would be at Anfield next season. Football changes too quickly. And negotiations take place in cold blood.

The most important thing is the that a club's best players are its best-paid players. A player will have less of an issue if he's earning £50,000 a week –– despite knowing he could earn £60,000 a week elsewhere –– if his current teammates are only earning £30,000 a week. He feels duly valued and rewarded.

The problem comes when an average player is earning more than the best. That's not a danger for Gerrard at Liverpool: he will be the best paid player at the club, whatever the club chose to offer him. No one can expect to earn more than him, and no one would demand it. So that's not an issue. [He was offered £100,000 a week, and that wasn't enough.]

So then there is another potential problem: when another club can offer so much more money that you end up talking not about an extra 20%, but the ability to double a player's salary. Then it gets confusing, as the pound signs ker-ching. How many of us, however content we are, could turn down the chance of earning twice as much money? Even if we don't need the money, we'd be tempted –– it's a human failing. And if our careers were ten years from ending, would we not be even more tempted?

But it has to be balanced with contentment in one's personal life, and happiness on the pitch. We might be tempted by more money, but only because we think it will make us happier; if we knew it would upset our home life, and lead to a miserable time professionally, we'd stay where we are. Footballers and optimistic, opportunist and ambitious. The sport is all about taking your chance when it comes your way. Do we want them ruthless on the pitch, but lambs away from it?

Much of the problem lies with the agents. As much as we hate them, agents have a job to do. Ideally they wouldn't exist. But in order to make their cut –– and here we're talking about millions of pounds –– they need to do their job a certain way. Sometimes an agent has to stir things up, as it leads to a richer client, and more money in their own bank accounts. It stinks, to a large degree, but it's the way of the game, and few players are honourable enough to steer clear of such shenanigans. (Someone like Paul Scholes is a rare exception.) Clubs also use agents to procure players from other clubs, so clubs can hardly cry foul. It cuts both ways.

It gets much trickier when the player is more than just a player, but a local icon. It becomes so much more emotive. Gerrard, and his agents, have a right to try and get the best deal possible from Liverpool; but not to get the impossible. (Or to use the failure to get the 'impossible' as an excuse to leave.) As the local hero, you cannot play the games other players and their agents indulge in. Or rather, you can, but you can't expect fans to feel the same way about it. Gerrard may never have asked to be the local hero, but he got a lot more adoration with that being the case. It was a role he clearly enjoyed.

Are SFX trying to turn the club into the villains, to 'smooth' an exit for their client? [This now appears to have been the case: blaming the club before the transfer request arrived within 48 hours].  Clearly the press are being fed one version of events, and that is not the club's version.

Fan uproar is clearly one of the major factors stopping Gerrard from leaving. He is bound to Liverpool in a way that Xabi Alonso isn't, and can never be –– even if we come to think of Alonso as the better player (many now do). Some players we see as blessing us for a year, or five years, before moving on to pastures new, with our reluctant best wishes. Others are seen as part of the furniture, and again, that expression cuts both ways: we want them forever, but we also might also take them for granted.

Trophies

So Gerrard wanted to win trophies at Liverpool. The Reds won the biggest. As much as Gerrard would love the league title, the European Cup is the trophy all players dream of lifting. It's the 'rare' one –– nearly five times as rare at Anfield as the league title going into last season (and about eight times as rare at Old Trafford). If he wanted evidence that the club was moving in the right direction, that was undeniably it, even if doubts exist in other areas: it is not a finished project, but only the start. But what a start!

Being part of a Liverpool side that achieved a kind of immortality, and which can go on and achieve more –– even if it will be a struggle –– has to mean something to Gerrard. He wanted to win things at Liverpool, and he's won five cup medals, including the biggest in club football. But of course, now he can turn around and say: I gave you the European Cup, so I'm on my bike. [This appears to be his thinking, following his decision to up and leave].

Gerrard is a very important player. Clearly. But no player is bigger than the club –– a cliché, but never more apposite. He was the club's joint-top scorer last season, but stats also seemed to suggest (rather surreally) that the team did fractionally better without him than when he was in the starting XI. His value to Liverpool is skewed slightly by his status as 50% of the Scouse heart of the side, and there are no Scousers waiting in the wings to fill that void (Welsh has a long way to go). But that's only relevant if Gerrard's heart is in the job. Better an eager and committed Spanish or Dutch or German heart than a dissatisfied local one.

At this point in time I actually don't care that much if he stays or goes, as I see Liverpool being winners both ways. [Now it's official, I feel pretty much the same. I am very disappointed, but not upset. I feel let down, but not worried about Liverpool's future.]

Losing him on the cheap in 2006 or 2007 would have been a disaster; but someone paying top dollar this summer satisfies me, as it gives Rafa the chance to build a better all-round side, providing he spends that money wisely (he has tended to, so far - certainly on his major signings). If prospective players might want to play alongside Gerrard, then I feel satisfied that this will pale when compared to their desire to play for Benítez.

All I care about is where Gerrard goes. Chelsea or Manchester United, and I'd feel sick to the core, and concerned at strengthening our domestic rivals; Real Madrid and I'd see a lot of new 'possibilities' –– a better Real Madrid, of course, but a better, and more unified Liverpool, too.

This is not the end: only the beginning.

© Paul Tomkins 2005

"Golden Past, Red Future" is available from www.paultomkins.com

« Last Edit: July 5, 2005, 02:59:11 pm by Paul Tomkins »

Offline synthesis

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Gerrard: Sign Up, Or Ship Out
« Reply #1 on: July 5, 2005, 01:04:32 pm »
re the last paragraph - keep in mind that the £32m fee from chelsea would all be paid up front, because theyre chelsea. real madrid would offer less, and in installments. clearly its better for liverpool to sell him to chelsea..

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 5, 2005, 01:09:28 pm »
re the last paragraph - keep in mind that the £32m fee from chelsea would all be paid up front, because theyre chelsea. real madrid would offer less, and in installments. clearly its better for liverpool to sell him to chelsea..

Blimey, that was a quick reply. Did you read it all?

Maybe *financially* it would make more sense in the immediate future to sell to Chelsea. But I can't see it being "better for Liverpool to sell to Chelsea" on the whole.

Offline annieroader

• Kopite
  • with a liver bird upon my chest
« Reply #3 on: July 5, 2005, 01:10:03 pm »
well said he has won every thing here except the league if he cant stick around and wait then so be it
do a owen and move then watch as we lift yet another trophy he cant say ill stay then move on let him go
to Chelsea at least we will have the money from them as madrid are skint  :wave :wave :wave :wave
Scouse an proud.
Liverpool fc is my life.
My second home is where i sleep.

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 5, 2005, 01:10:37 pm »
Paul, you state that you do not care if he stays or goes... hand on heart, what do you personally think he will do.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 5, 2005, 01:11:14 pm »
Paul, you state that you do not care if he stays or goes... hand on heart, what do you personally think he will do.

No idea, to be honest.

Flip a coin!

Offline piddsterturk

• Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: July 5, 2005, 01:12:12 pm »
We've been caught too many times at the hands of players running down contracts for my liking.  Houllier would probably not sell and next season we'd lose him for nowt, but I fancy that Rafa will accept a reasonable offer if he doesn't commit.

Offline Captain-Carra

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Norbert Klopp. The Boss.
« Reply #7 on: July 5, 2005, 01:13:12 pm »

How do you know Chelsea would pay up front? Do you work as their accountant? No one knows the finances involved in football and having studied Leeds Utd transfer dealings for work, it is amazing the schemes and installment plans that are dreamt up. Some players are merely loaned to other clubs and some are on hire purchase agreements.

The fact that the money would be up front will have no bearing on the Gerrard transfer.
"The major civilising force in the world is not religion, it's sex." - Hugh Hefner

Offline barryrose

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8 on: July 5, 2005, 01:13:34 pm »
I dont think we should be held to ransom.

Apparently he has 24 hrs to sign up or he is being sold to the highest bidder

Rafa said himself he has tried to talk to him on numerous times and he has said wait.

He Never expected us to win the Champ league cup. (Like everyone i suppose)
So now we have he is goosed for a reason to leave and is saying he wants some top signings.

Excuse after excuse.
If he is 100 % like cara then sell him to the higher bidder. or whats best for the club.

No player is bigger than the CLUB!

Its all leaving a bitter taste.

Offline SecondHandSmoke

• Anny Roader
  • 5 Times European Champion
« Reply #9 on: July 5, 2005, 01:15:15 pm »
could this not have gone in the gerrard thread

;) ;D

Offline barryrose

• Kemlynite
« Reply #10 on: July 5, 2005, 01:15:16 pm »
Not a 100% like cara i should say

Offline azer

• Misanthrope who thinks we were battered by Sunderland.
  • Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #11 on: July 5, 2005, 01:15:35 pm »
its true to say we're winners either way.
As long as he doesnt go to chelsea. we cant give them a player like gerrard.
i just wish to whole thing was wrapped up.
Something quaint and witty.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #12 on: July 5, 2005, 01:16:19 pm »

Not for what it would mean in terms of him providing direct oppostion, no. Neither would its symbolic meaning leave anything less than the most bitter of aftertastes. There comes a time when taking a less desirable finacial package would actually be more desirable.

Offline barryrose

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13 on: July 5, 2005, 01:17:06 pm »
Does it really matter

its a new thread about gerrard.

there is always gonna be speculation about his future so who gives ashit

read the heading and if it states gerrard etc then dont read if you dont want to.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 5, 2005, 01:17:54 pm »

No idea, to be honest.

Flip a coin!

I think that's what Gerrard's doing ;D
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline synthesis

• Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: July 5, 2005, 01:18:15 pm »
okay fine

i hope the club cuts off its nose to spite its face. this is a far more reasonable plan

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #16 on: July 5, 2005, 01:18:24 pm »
You're right about agents. They exist solely to get the best deal for their client, and it's naive to think otherwise. The way they get that deal is playing people and bids off each other. If they get better deals they attract the better players and so on and so on. Way of the world and all that. But they will listen to their client, and if SG was dead set on staying then SFX would be concentrating on getting the best deal out of Liverpool. They haven't done that. At first opportunity they threw a hissy fit and stopped talking and alerted the world via the press. What this tells me is that he is not, and probably never was, dead set on staying apart from those 30 seconds talking to Jeff Shreeves.  What confuses me are SG's reasons here. It seems that he's switched -- or the spin is that he's switched -- from wanting to leave because he felt unloved and unwanted, to the old chestnut of the team not being good enough to satisfy his ambitions.

Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 5, 2005, 01:20:06 pm »
I'm no longer bothered what he does, in fact a big part of me wishes he'd just go.Rafa needs solidity, Gerrard is just upsetting things.

Of all the big names I saw leave Liverpool whilst I was growing up, Souness was the only one I never felt we replaced. Gerrard has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same class as Souness. Gerrard will be replaced, not on a like for like basis,but with a player who will do the job, alongside Xabi, that Rafa wants.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Obiwon

• Main Stander
  • Live the dream
« Reply #18 on: July 5, 2005, 01:21:03 pm »
Nice balanced view Paul. Although I love the player, I think it would be better all round if he goes.
I pray though that the club hang out for every last penny they can squeeze from his sale. Any other club would for their prized asset. I would say to chelsea he is yours for £40 m + duff or gallas and see how serious they are then.
Liverpool Football Club - No country but loved by GOD!

Offline Andy J

• Wanted One Custom Title!
  • Kopite
  • Free Michael Sheilds
« Reply #19 on: July 5, 2005, 01:21:07 pm »
Not another SG thread.

Lock it.
I fucking love Liverpool

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #20 on: July 5, 2005, 01:22:46 pm »
okay fine

i hope the club cuts off its nose to spite its face. this is a far more reasonable plan

Again, I can see why you'd say that. But a sale to Madrid/Milan/AN Other FC -look out for them, by the way- wouldn't mean we'd have our collective faces rubbed in it every fucking week. It would not symbolise that Liverpool, Champions of Europe, couldn't keep their captain from the encroaching roubled-up rent-boys.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #21 on: July 5, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
I think we are in a win-win situation. Gerrard is a superb player, but has caused some disruption before big games, even if not directly, the fact he never said "I am staying" meant the media had ammunition to throw at us before big game and this was exploited to full effect by the parasites. Chelsea had their fair part to play as well, one minute they are interested, making Gerrard arrogant and cocky, the next they "never had an interest in him whatsoever", deflating Gerrard's ego; the whole fiasco threw Gerrard's as well as the fans and player's emotions into the air.

There was also the bust up with Carragher, allegedly, and his arrogance can not go down well in the dressing room - if Gerrard were to stay, we could really do with a Keane type character to put the young pretender in his place. Yes he is the biggest player at Liverpool, but he will never be as big as Liverpool. If he goes he goes, better players have left. If he sorts his arrogant attitude out, let him stay and his talent can flourish in a team on the up.

He can go join all the other exploded ego's at Real or Chelsea if he feels that is right for him, but I can guarantee he will make a mistake, and we would have made £35m + out of it and unified the squad.

As I said; win-win.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2005, 01:26:38 pm by -Daws- »
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline magpie

• Kopite
  • 96 friends we all shall miss. JFT96.
« Reply #22 on: July 5, 2005, 01:23:13 pm »
Totally agree with the title in that the issue needs sorting out once and for all, one way or another.
We should be starting the season next week full of hope and still glowing from winning the European Cup but instead we've got this and it's giving all the supporters a heavy heart. I think SFX have to take a lot of the blame; they will be the ones to profit most if he goes, but LFC aren't totally innocent either. They all need their heads banged together if you ask me.
Bearing in mind that some fans already seemed to have turned on him (judging by some comments on other threads) it's going to be an interesting night next Wednesday if the matter is not resolved by then.
Time to decide once and for all Stevie G...
"Ignore the arl witch and sing/shout for justice."

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: July 5, 2005, 01:24:13 pm »
Nice read that Paul.  Cheers, steered me away from the drivel (mainly mine ;D ) for a good few mins.  :wave

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #24 on: July 5, 2005, 01:24:40 pm »
Not another SG thread.

Lock it.

it's an article by PT which is always good to read. it would have just got lost amongst the shite in the other gerrard thread
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline barryrose

• Kemlynite
« Reply #25 on: July 5, 2005, 01:26:08 pm »
I would say 40 mil is very good business for the best midfielder in the business.

Would be sad to see that quality leave but at the end of the day, football is about money nowadays.

The club will do wats best for themselves and so will gerrard.

I think we should just get as much as we can while we can.
Lost out so much of the years due to agents and players hanging out on there contracts

milking the club

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 5, 2005, 01:26:33 pm »
It would be sad to see Gerrard leaving but that's not end of anything. I don't want to see captain who is not 100% commited to LFC. If he wants to leave then so be it. With that money I would like to see Ballack coming to replace him and Carra would better captain than Gerrard IMO.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 5, 2005, 01:27:12 pm »
For me it is simple, he goes to the club that pays us the most money.

I personally believe that will be Chelsea. Yes, it will strengthen them but I see them winning it next year without him anyway.

Also, I am a vindictive c*nt and a Londoner and know that SG wont settle in London, it will drive him insane. He wont understand anyone and to be honest they wont understand him.

I also like the idea of JC being able to play against him in the league. That is a ticket seller on its' own.

Even detracting a bit and taking the stance that SG does not want to leave. I think it would be best for the club that he does. Firstly, cos of the media circus, secondly, cos this is the stage that we would get the most for him and thirdly and most importantly I still dont see how he fits into Rafa's ideal midfield.

Great player and what have you but I still believe the best thing for the club at the moment is that we cash in now. Think it is pretty clear that his future is not at Anfield in his mind so cash in Rafa and get to building your team around Alonso who I ultimately believe you bought to replace Gerrard as the heartbeat of Liverpool's midfield.

Anyway, good read Paul and lets see how it develops.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #28 on: July 5, 2005, 01:27:16 pm »
At the end of the day, it's all down to what Steven Gerrard wants to do.

All the other stuff is fluff and media fodder. As the media tries to influence what you think. And then forums ignite with "opinions". Will he go, will he stay. He's a traitor, no player bigger than the club, what about loyalty, which club will he go to, how  much will Rafa get to spend ( and the Championship managers games begin on who to spend money on).

Agents or not, Steven Gerrard has to decide what he wants to do. The Club can't force him at gunpoint to sign. An Agent can't force him at gunpoint to leave. Both sides can weigh in with their points or offers.

And until Gerrard does decide, no one will know the outcome. It will be speculation until then. He can change his mind at any minute.

So this will go on. And those who want to perpetuate the Steven Gerrard saga will post on and on.

Me, i'll wait for the end of the saga. My support for Liverpool FC is not dependant on one player or the other. I sincerely hope he stays for it is Liverpool FC who will be the winners in the end. And Steven has lifted a Cup to know that Liverpool FC are winners...

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 5, 2005, 01:27:41 pm »
Paul, incidentally I was re-reading GPRF (my habit to quickly go through the whole book  then re-read in more detail) and have come to the chapter on players. 

HOw very true - and ironic -  that it's the foreign players who are showing respect and the home-grown heroes "screwing" their Clubs.   I could accept that Gerrard wants to go but not the way he's been merry leading, and worst, painting the Club AND the manager in the bad light.   He either fall into line or go. 

(The line that it's all his agents' doing is crap.  He's the boss of his agent.  He's 25.  Andhe doesn't even refute the so-called "bust up" incident with Rafa.  Most in since the last summer, simply, have been appalling behaviour.)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #30 on: July 5, 2005, 01:29:27 pm »
Paul - you rightly say that Gerrard's iconic status complicates (or should complicate) the agent's job. But there's another factor that Gerrard should think about if he wants to stay at a Liverpool equipped to challenge for the Title. If his salary demands start to top 100K then club money that might be used to attract other great players simply ends up in the Gerrard pension fund. He gets even richer, the club finds it harder to compete on the field, his title ambitions remain unfulfilled. He's an already incredibly well paid man. Is it too much to ask that he instructs his agent to think a little bit about the TEAM as well when he negotiates this next pay rise?

Should we have to sell him to Chelsea I'd like to see us get the 32 mill plus Duff or Cole. Because once we've got Chelsea's money it's going to be very expensive to spend it - there'll be a massive hike in transfer prices across the board. It's better to get players we like from Chelsea.

Final thought - thank Christ it's not Alonso we're talking about.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 5, 2005, 01:31:10 pm »
it's an article by PT which is always good to read. it would have just got lost amongst the shite in the other gerrard thread

Cheers  :)

My pieces get moved to the Opinion section, as I gave up my right to post them directly there myself - otherwise I could bypass this forum, which already has it's Gerrard topic.

If the mods decide that it belongs in with the other stuff, that's up to them to then merge it. But as an ex-mod and Rawk Scribe I have the right to post pieces with the staff's blessing  :wave

Cheers, steered me away from the drivel (mainly mine ;D ) for a good few mins.  :wave

;D

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 5, 2005, 01:34:09 pm »
The line that it's all his agents' doing is crap. 

Was that my line?

His agents are acting on his behalf. He can control them, obviously. But he also pays them to do a job, and surely leaves them to get on with it, to a degree? Otherwise why give "experts" 20% of your earnings, if you're simply telling them what to do?

They are his advisers, and they are advising him. Possibly badly. But, as I imply, a player can do it himself if he so wishes (Paul Scholes).

Offline Mr Swifticles

• Anny Roader
  • Please Get Off The Stage!!!!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: July 5, 2005, 01:36:49 pm »
i just dont want this happening every tranfer window.  I really want him to sign a long term deal now or leave now!
Your Dreams Are Our Reality!

Offline bigmac7

• Kemlynite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34 on: July 5, 2005, 01:37:54 pm »
How do you know Chelsea would pay up front? Do you work as their accountant? No one knows the finances involved in football and having studied Leeds Utd transfer dealings for work, it is amazing the schemes and installment plans that are dreamt up. Some players are merely loaned to other clubs and some are on hire purchase agreements.

The fact that the money would be up front will have no bearing on the Gerrard transfer.

Just to chip in on this I have heard on various TV stations over the seasons that people buy from abroad because A - It is one the whole cheaper and B - You can pay in installments.
Apparently this is not the case at domestic level and the transfer fee has to be paid up front.  No proof but sure I have heard that.
Thats how I have understood anyway but like you say Leeds had all sorts of deals and agreements so I may be way off with this comment.

That aside I would dearly love Gerrard to stay but now if he goes I know we will still be on the right track with Benitez. I feel finally we hold all the cards, he stays we are happy and will add to the squad. If he goes we are unhappy but will have 35 million to add to what we may have brought in anyway. To me its the agents mischief making. In the end if he leaves the European Champions at the dawn of a new era he must be mad we have waited for such a long time for this moment.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #35 on: July 5, 2005, 01:41:39 pm »
Stevie re-itterates the fact that he is an ambitious man, and rightly so, he is one of the most talented players on the planet and he is a natural born winner, but what I fail to understand is how somebody as ambitious as Stevie wants to go to Chelsea? Yes they win the big trophies, they have the big players, the Grandmother's favorite manager, and the ego's, but what kind of challenge is it? I believe being ambitious is doing something against the odds, taking on a tough challenge; where's the challenge in winning the Premiership with Chelsea? While us other clubs are in transition, they are doing very well, granted, so they are bound to win the league for the next couple of seasons, but it's a lot less ambitious to sign for a club with a lot of money who are expected to win the league again, than it is to go for it with your heart and soul for the club you love, somewhat against the odds.

Come on Ste', think about it, and forget about your over-paid agents and the media.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 5, 2005, 01:43:13 pm »

Was that my line?

His agents are acting on his behalf. He can control them, obviously. But he also pays them to do a job, and surely leaves them to get on with it, to a degree? Otherwise why give "experts" 20% of your earnings, if you're simply telling them what to do?

They are his advisers, and they are advising him. Possibly badly. But, as I imply, a player can do it himself if he so wishes (Paul Scholes).

ooops, not referring to any of your line but some people's take on the situation.

Offline Obiwon

• Main Stander
  • Live the dream
« Reply #37 on: July 5, 2005, 01:47:57 pm »

Should we have to sell him to Chelsea I'd like to see us get the 32 mill plus Duff or Cole. Because once we've got Chelsea's money it's going to be very expensive to spend it - there'll be a massive hike in transfer prices across the board. It's better to get players we like from Chelsea.

Final thought - thank Christ it's not Alonso we're talking about.
My thoughts exactly above
Liverpool Football Club - No country but loved by GOD!

Offline docker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 5, 2005, 01:48:21 pm »
good article for debate Paul, moores & parry have previous on these issues.
1 mcmanam
2 fowler
3 Owen
and now our captain, all youth players, all the best in their positions, yet near identical issues surrounding contract negotiations. something is not right up top.

block 107

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #39 on: July 5, 2005, 01:54:49 pm »
I'm still very much in the camp that wants Stevie to stay.  At the same time, I want to see a man who is 110% committed to the club in every game.  I don't want to see him playing just when he feels like it.  There were times last season when he looked like he wasn't fully focused on the job, and as our captain and major figurehead, you want him to lead, and in the proper manner.  I don't want to see him constantly undermining his team mates, and the teams chances before major games.  Ok, I know this can be done as a means to motivate, but there have to be better ways, if not more subtle ways to achieve an end to a means.  I don't want to see him kissing the badge, and saying that 'He's the man', only for us to go through yet another media driven circus surrounding his contract wranglings over the closed season.

I really love you Stevie, but I can't see how what's going on right now is fair to any party involved in this. 
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!