Author Topic: The PC Gaming Thread  (Read 264756 times)

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The PC Gaming Thread
« Reply #280 on: January 30, 2012, 08:24:34 pm »
yeah in the specs it says something about the onboard only being available in models without a dedicated card

from your original post i knew it had a dedicated card just wasn't sure if it was a nvidia card like in the specs or if they shipped models with ati cards, if it's nvidia try putting the original card back in and see if it lets you install the beta drivers then switch back to the gtx560 ti and see if it's recognized

if that doesn't work then try asking on http://www.evga.com/forums/tt.aspx?forumid=67

edit: see if you can install this driver http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/40607 a fella on that forum had the same problem and couldn't install a nvidia driver but this one worked ok for him
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:30:05 pm by FiSh77 »

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: January 30, 2012, 09:09:58 pm »
from what i've read i'd say it's a driver issue

go into the directory where the drivers are installed (default should be C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\285.62\WinVista_Win7_64\English\Display.Driver) and open ListDevices.txt then have a look for the string for the card (i think it should be NVIDIA_DEV.1087.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti" for that card) if it's not in there then that's the problem (i think?)

it is possible to hack older drivers and make them work by inserting the string for your hardware but i'm not sure which .inf files need editing, the string for the card is included in the 290.36  beta drivers though so should work

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: January 31, 2012, 04:11:18 am »
XIII
Giant's: Citizen Kabuto
Total Annihilation
Alpha Centauri
Shogo
Mechwarrior: Mercenaries
MDK2

All games I downloaded/purchased recently on the cheap/free. Been a great nostalgia trip. Anyone have any old-school PC game recommendations?

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #283 on: January 31, 2012, 08:25:09 am »
XIII is a great game, always seem to return to it every year or so.

I was still gutted that a sequel never materialized despite Ubisoft claiming so in the ending !

Rayman 2 - is another game that despite it's age still holds well, I mean, brilliantly.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: January 31, 2012, 08:38:45 am »
Shogo M.A.D. !!
How I loved that game.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2012, 03:20:36 pm »
Just started playing Jedi Outcast again.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: January 31, 2012, 04:50:46 pm »
from what i've read i'd say it's a driver issue

go into the directory where the drivers are installed (default should be C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\285.62\WinVista_Win7_64\English\Display.Driver) and open ListDevices.txt then have a look for the string for the card (i think it should be NVIDIA_DEV.1087.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti" for that card) if it's not in there then that's the problem (i think?)

it is possible to hack older drivers and make them work by inserting the string for your hardware but i'm not sure which .inf files need editing, the string for the card is included in the 290.36  beta drivers though so should work
got it sorted using a few of your ideas, so thanks a lot, saved me a load of ballache,

i put the old 545 card in, updated the drivers to the newest beta ones 290.53 i think, checked the device list and it was there, then turned off changed to the new card, still saw it as standard vga card, i went in to update drivers, select manually search and it flicked up 560ti drivers, so manually installed them and bingo, card now up and running and it's a beast, plays bf3 on ultra like silk
STFU and agree with me.

Online clacke

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #287 on: March 23, 2012, 11:15:34 am »
The fan-made, Freespace-powered Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn is now available
After ten years of work, Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, the fan-made addition to the most famed space combat franchise of all time, is finally ready to go. The project is powered by the mighty Freespace 2 engine but is a fully stand-alone game with two campaigns, 55 missions, new voice actors, cutscenes, ship types and more.

This is free, by the way. I downloaded it yesterday & played through the first few missions. These guys have done an amazing job with this. This is no half-arsed effort - it's new Wing Commander!  :)

Download from their website: http://www.wcsaga.com/

And a review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/22/back-in-the-cockpit-wing-commander-saga/

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #288 on: March 23, 2012, 12:45:36 pm »
The fan-made, Freespace-powered Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn is now available
After ten years of work, Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, the fan-made addition to the most famed space combat franchise of all time, is finally ready to go. The project is powered by the mighty Freespace 2 engine but is a fully stand-alone game with two campaigns, 55 missions, new voice actors, cutscenes, ship types and more.

This is free, by the way. I downloaded it yesterday & played through the first few missions. These guys have done an amazing job with this. This is no half-arsed effort - it's new Wing Commander!  :)

Download from their website: http://www.wcsaga.com/

And a review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/22/back-in-the-cockpit-wing-commander-saga/
Nice. I knew I'd downloaded Freespace 2 for a reason! :) EDIT: Don't even need Freespace 2 to run it - nice one.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:00:51 pm by hesbighesred »
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #289 on: April 2, 2012, 06:40:13 pm »
This looks interesting...

http://playhawken.com/?ref=pgcQFwlx
All non-ravens are non-black.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: April 7, 2012, 01:05:50 pm »
bought a four pack of shoot many robots, have a copy to swap if anyone is interested, i've played a few hours on it and it's great fun, simple side scroller and aim with the mouse to shoot, basic but very good, lots of loot and upgrades to weapons etc

on steam of course
STFU and agree with me.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: April 7, 2012, 02:12:29 pm »
This looks interesting...

http://playhawken.com/?ref=pgcQFwlx
Yes indeed. Like Space games (of pretty much any description but especially successors to the likes of Wing Commander, X Wing and Elite) Battlemech games are (were) a tragically abandoned genre on the PC. Why have an FPS where you're a bloke where you can have an FPS with some RTS extras where you're a gigantic mechanical death engine?

As an aside, I would love a game based around the titans in Warhammer 40k - a bit like a 3d version of Walker on the Amiga, where the people are almost like ants scurrying around you, slaughtering them 100s, 1000s at a time! :)

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #292 on: April 7, 2012, 07:56:01 pm »
Heads up for two interesting looking games coming up on Steam.

First is a really old school dungeon crawl FPS RPG, that looks something like the Ultima Underworld series, definitely worth a look if you're a fan of that kind of thing.

Second is Binary Domain, gameplay something like Mass Effect, from what the reviews are saying, better gameplay, less of the Mass Effect RPG elements, story etc.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: April 7, 2012, 10:00:46 pm »
Already have binary domain pre-order

any chance of a name for that first one ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #294 on: April 7, 2012, 10:46:41 pm »
Can't wait for Dark Souls on PC.  Hope they add lots of keybinding slots.  Imagine the online feature will be more populated.  Didn't co op once in Demon's souls.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: April 8, 2012, 01:40:45 am »
i've had that since it was released on ps3, i've played about ten mins on it

not because it's shite, because it's on ps3 :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: April 8, 2012, 03:18:46 am »
Already have binary domain pre-order

any chance of a name for that first one ;D

Ah shit sorry ;D

Its called Legend of Grimrock, release date is on April 12th!

Binary Domain seems to be delayed. Have it on pre order as well, and I'm looking forward to playing it :)
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: April 8, 2012, 03:44:33 am »
Yeah. Had my eyes on grim rock. Put four hours into shoot many robots today ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: April 8, 2012, 06:09:38 am »
Yes indeed. Like Space games (of pretty much any description but especially successors to the likes of Wing Commander, X Wing and Elite) Battlemech games are (were) a tragically abandoned genre on the PC. Why have an FPS where you're a bloke where you can have an FPS with some RTS extras where you're a gigantic mechanical death engine?

As an aside, I would love a game based around the titans in Warhammer 40k - a bit like a 3d version of Walker on the Amiga, where the people are almost like ants scurrying around you, slaughtering them 100s, 1000s at a time! :)

Bit concerned the latest reboot to the Mechwarrior series has become a F2P online game. While I don't mind, I'm worried that this usually means they cheese out on the singleplayer content, which is what I'm more interested in.

Saw Hawken a while back, and it looks nice, the only reason I'm not as interested is it looks pretty fast paced. Like you say, when I play mech games, I want to feel I'm in something huge, lumbering, and ready to ruin someone's day. Having mechs fast paced and agile kinda takes something away from that.

Yeah. Had my eyes on grim rock. Put four hours into shoot many robots today ;D

Its that good? ;D How deep is the upgrading system?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: April 8, 2012, 01:12:55 pm »
I'd say the upgrading system is decent, there's a load of loot. Including a small robot you wear on your head that fucks you :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline ActiveSloth

• Kopite
  • Brendan Rodgers, he shakes his own hand
« Reply #300 on: April 8, 2012, 04:56:15 pm »
Alright. I am thinking of buying a new PC for gaming and also some work and I was wondering if anyone with experience in buying them could help me out.
Does anyone know what would be required of the PC to run a game like Star Wars The Old Republic?
Anyone know of any decent websites with guides to these sort of things on?

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: April 8, 2012, 05:02:36 pm »
Alright. I am thinking of buying a new PC for gaming and also some work and I was wondering if anyone with experience in buying them could help me out.
Does anyone know what would be required of the PC to run a game like Star Wars The Old Republic?

The required specs for games are usually given in the relevant Wikipedia entry

Microsoft Windows[4]

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000 or better / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 Ghz or better
    Memory: At least 1.5 GB RAM for XP / 2 GB or better for Windows Vista/7
    Graphics: ATI XT1800 or better / NVIDIA 7800 or better / Intel 4100 or better. 256 MB minimum video RAM, shader 3.0 or better fully compatible graphics card.
    DVD-ROM: 8x or better
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline ActiveSloth

• Kopite
« Reply #302 on: April 8, 2012, 05:04:26 pm »
The required specs for games are usually given in the relevant Wikipedia entry

Microsoft Windows[4]

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000 or better / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 Ghz or better
    Memory: At least 1.5 GB RAM for XP / 2 GB or better for Windows Vista/7
    Graphics: ATI XT1800 or better / NVIDIA 7800 or better / Intel 4100 or better. 256 MB minimum video RAM, shader 3.0 or better fully compatible graphics card.
    DVD-ROM: 8x or better

I was just giving that game as an example but would you say a machine with all of that would cope with the majority of games out there?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: April 8, 2012, 06:35:37 pm »
Arkham City for £8.99

http://www.gamefly.co.uk/Download-Batman-Arkham-City-UK/5002191/

Apply coupon “GFKSPRING3″.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: April 8, 2012, 07:12:24 pm »
You really won't need much to run SWTOR, you could build a PC for around £300 -£500 that would easily, easily handle it. But SWTOR isn't a particularly demanding game. If you want a benchmark for a decent PC that will run anything you throw at it, decide what monitor size you want first, then find a card that will run something like Crysis to at 60+ FPS with all the bells and whistles consistently at that particular resolution.

My personal advice for budget quality gaming would be to get yourself a 1680x1050 monitor - 20" widescreen is the max I think - then find a card that will run all games at that resolution very nicely. It's really the monitor that ends up costing you - once because bigger ones get so much more expensive, twice because the GFX card you need ends up being so much more expensive. For example my GFX card would be about £100-£150 now, can still handle games easily at 1900 x 1200 (but not newer ones with all the bells and whistles) but at 1680x1050 resolution it would easily, easily handle everything with all the bells and whistles and with a bit of room to spare.

Processor, Monitor, GFX card -- those are your big expenses. Decide what you need for those and build everything else around them. Final point - don't skimp on RAM. It's relatively cheap but makes a massive difference to a hell of a lot of things, or rather if you don't have quite enough your computer will run very slowly and crappily regardless of how much you've spent on processor and GFX. 4GB RAM is the minimum I'd get these days, but you might as well get 6 or even 8 because it really won't cost you that much more.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: April 8, 2012, 07:20:04 pm »
Saw Hawken a while back, and it looks nice, the only reason I'm not as interested is it looks pretty fast paced. Like you say, when I play mech games, I want to feel I'm in something huge, lumbering, and ready to ruin someone's day. Having mechs fast paced and agile kinda takes something away from that.
Yep, with you completely on that. It's a real shame no-ones really doing 'simmy' games for unreal things anymore - it would be really great if there were more successors to stuff like TIE-Fighter, for example, or the original Mechwarriors.

I really must give that Freelancer Wing Commander a go, but to be fair I'm bang into the new X game at the moment (Albion Prelude), which really is a proper hardcore game in that kind of tradition. Albeit one with a fairly sadistic UI.

Offline ActiveSloth

• Kopite
« Reply #306 on: April 8, 2012, 10:40:15 pm »

Cheers really appreciate it mate  :) I'll let you know how it goes

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: April 11, 2012, 12:14:20 am »
Has anyone played Rayman Origins on the PC? I can't seem to get my wireless Xbox controller working with it. There's no options to select it in the game menu either. My controller works with every other game, so I know the controller isn't the issue. Any ideas how to get it working with the game?

Offline ActiveSloth

• Kopite
« Reply #308 on: April 11, 2012, 10:36:32 am »
Just got this bad boy with Windows for £465. See you later sunshine
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200740288690

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: April 11, 2012, 06:04:24 pm »
At that price they must be using some cheap ass components
STFU and agree with me.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #310 on: April 11, 2012, 11:05:21 pm »
At that price they must be using some cheap ass components

My thoughts ;D

Case looks as cool as though, hope it's the one that comes!

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #311 on: April 11, 2012, 11:25:30 pm »
Shoot Many Robots is fun. On Steam for about seven quid, side scrolling shoot 'em up.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #312 on: April 12, 2012, 12:56:58 am »

GFWL....

Nooooooooooooooooo

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: April 12, 2012, 04:22:35 pm »
oh cool, CFWL, i'll buy it six months after it comes out when they've made it workable
STFU and agree with me.

Offline ActiveSloth

• Kopite
« Reply #314 on: April 16, 2012, 02:59:17 pm »
Just got this bad boy with Windows for £465. See you later sunshine
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200740288690

It came today in the case advertised :)
Lets see how long these cheap components last for

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #315 on: April 16, 2012, 03:32:30 pm »
I found a psx emulator and am now smashing me way thru FF7 ;)
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: April 16, 2012, 05:20:46 pm »
Don't get too excited about Dark Souls - the developers are PC novices and don't appear to making much effort with this translation apart from adding a few new bits. Very cagey about what they're bringing in terms of visual enhancements/options, keyboard support is said to be limited, and there's no plans to alow any Skyrim-style modding. Plus, as mentioned, Games for Windows Live...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: April 16, 2012, 05:21:27 pm »
For all fellow Guild Wars geeks like myself, GW 2 is now available to pre-purchase.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #318 on: April 16, 2012, 05:33:37 pm »

Sigh, had such high hopes for this. Really want to play it too since I've given up on my Ps3.  Won't even bother if there are limited/no video options and lack of K+M controls/hotkeys and again....GFWL...

Might give that GW2 a try.  Like the idea of having marathon weeks playing it, then putting it down for awhile then picking it back up when I've got time etc without worrying about canceling/resubscribing.  Would like to play SW:TOR for the single player/story, but the monthly sub puts me off.

Also I'm thinking of buying a new GPU and it apparently comes with 3 free game codes for things like Deus Ex, the new Dirt.  Anyone know if these can be sold?  Should be able to recoup a fair few quid if they do!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: April 16, 2012, 07:40:40 pm »
ok. i've a few free codes lying around from a recent indie bundle purchase

killing floor
plain sight
beat hazard