Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1233963 times)

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #7680 on: October 17, 2017, 02:36:25 pm »
I loved it. Hopkins is great as ever. Looking forward to the next series.
Yes. Really looking forward to season 2.

:D

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #7681 on: October 17, 2017, 03:58:57 pm »
Second season of Vice Principals has been excellent so far.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #7682 on: October 17, 2017, 04:54:20 pm »
Second season of Vice Principals has been excellent so far.

Yea series has been good. Some real lol moments.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7683 on: October 17, 2017, 05:09:19 pm »
The plural of series is series.
Well that's just silly.

Na, cheers mate. I did think it might have been, but I wasn't sure. One series, many series. Just doesn't seem right somehow, but it is what it is. I'll probably use it in the future, but I don't think it'll ever sit quite right with me. Oh, the quirks of the English language.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7684 on: October 17, 2017, 08:19:57 pm »
Well that's just silly.

Na, cheers mate. I did think it might have been, but I wasn't sure. One series, many series. Just doesn't seem right somehow, but it is what it is. I'll probably use it in the future, but I don't think it'll ever sit quite right with me. Oh, the quirks of the English language.

Yet another reason why season is a much better term.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #7685 on: October 18, 2017, 08:54:59 am »
Well that's just silly.

Yet another reason why season is a much better term.

Not really when you say, there are plenty of series of the A-Team. Its not hard!
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7686 on: October 18, 2017, 10:05:19 am »
Not really when you say, there are plenty of series of the A-Team. Its not hard!

See that just sounds weird.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #7687 on: October 18, 2017, 11:34:42 am »
What  is this,the pedants thread. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7688 on: October 18, 2017, 07:59:44 pm »
On the subtitled front...

Did anyone watch Black Lake recently on BBC Four? Notable for starting off quite intriguingly, before turning into one of the most ridiculous and stupid shows I've ever seen.

Currently watching the Netflix series, Bonus Family. Charming and funny so far.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7689 on: October 18, 2017, 08:10:40 pm »
Just watched season/series 3 opener of Crazy Ex Girlfriend

As witty and as brilliant as ever. Maybe even funnier :) 

Rachel Blooms writing is mad as fuck but very funny.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7690 on: October 18, 2017, 08:23:16 pm »

The pedantry thread, actually.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #7691 on: October 18, 2017, 09:29:41 pm »
See that just sounds weird.

Only to you and a few others :P

:lmao

I wouldnt mind so much if the word "series" with its meaning didnt exist, but it does. Are people who say seasons going to start saying, Trash, Sidewalk, Freeway..?

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #7692 on: October 19, 2017, 10:22:40 am »

If only it was contained here.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #7693 on: October 19, 2017, 11:24:57 am »

I wouldnt mind so much if the word "series" with its meaning didnt exist, but it does. Are people who say seasons going to start saying, Trash, Sidewalk, Freeway..?

I'm not going to start saying them, but I am going to carry on saying them, as I have been for 49 years. Can't help where I was born.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #7694 on: October 19, 2017, 11:53:59 am »
Yea series has been good. Some real lol moments.

First season was more hit or miss to me but i've laughed plenty every episode this season. Overall the series has been good.  ;D

Tin Star was hard work to get through. Think Tim Roth is miscast and it's just a bit of a misfire in general, they were going for something like Fargo i guess?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:56:27 am by BER »

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #7695 on: October 19, 2017, 11:55:30 am »
If only it was contained here.

Oh de bow.

I'm not going to start saying them, but I am going to carry on saying them, as I have been for 49 years. Can't help where I was born.

Im on about all the UK sheep mate.

First season was more hit or miss to me but i've laughed plenty every episode this season. Overall the series has been good.  ;D

Yes agree..bar the season bit ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:57:22 am by the right way round please?! »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #7696 on: October 19, 2017, 12:11:17 pm »
The problem arises from the fact that historically in the UK we've used the word series to define both the entire collection of episodes of a show and also a collection of episodes in a specific period.

"Have you seen the series Luther?" or "Have you seen the latest series of Luther?" were both fine but the first could be met with the question "Which one?". There's a bit of ambiguity.

Replacing one word with dual meaning for two words, series and season, removes the ambiguity. It's an actual improvement, not following a herd but making a rational choice.

Whether or not the expression relating to TV originates in the States or not has absolutely no bearing on it for me, thinking otherwise is actually a bit xenophobic.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7697 on: October 19, 2017, 12:13:53 pm »

This is great....a Gomorrah'esque drug/gang thriller - centered around an Arabic gang family in Berlin...fast paced and enthralling ...did half the series in last night and very impressed. Available on Amazon prime and your usual stockists

Don't suppose anyone has a link to this with Hardcoded subs do they please?

cheers

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7698 on: October 19, 2017, 12:21:52 pm »
I wouldnt mind so much if the word "series" with its meaning didnt exist, but it does. Are people who say seasons going to start saying Trash, Sidewalk, Freeway..?
Only when I talk about you playing COD ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7699 on: October 19, 2017, 12:55:28 pm »
The problem arises from the fact that historically in the UK we've used the word series to define both the entire collection of episodes of a show and also a collection of episodes in a specific period.

"Have you seen the series Luther?" or "Have you seen the latest series of Luther?" were both fine but the first could be met with the question "Which one?". There's a bit of ambiguity.

Replacing one word with dual meaning for two words, series and season, removes the ambiguity. It's an actual improvement, not following a herd but making a rational choice.

Whether or not the expression relating to TV originates in the States or not has absolutely no bearing on it for me, thinking otherwise is actually a bit xenophobic.

Yes, but a series is a set (or sequence) of TV episodes and a set can contain another set, so it makes sense to me. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7700 on: October 19, 2017, 01:41:07 pm »
Yes, but a series is a set (or sequence) of TV episodes and a set can contain another set, so it makes sense to me.
I completely agree, it makes sense. Using two words just makes more sense to me as it removes ambiguity, especially in conversation.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7701 on: October 19, 2017, 01:53:00 pm »
Don't suppose anyone has a link to this with Hardcoded subs do they please?

I've recently downloaded this with no subs at all and can't find them anywhere online.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7702 on: October 19, 2017, 02:41:55 pm »
I've recently downloaded this with no subs at all and can't find them anywhere online.

Yeah the only torrent i can find for every episode is from the same source.

Might invite Jurgen round to translate for me :)

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7703 on: October 19, 2017, 03:27:55 pm »
More pertinently, WHERE DAFUQ IS GOMORRAH?

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7704 on: October 19, 2017, 03:36:40 pm »
More pertinently, WHERE DAFUQ IS GOMORRAH?

Nov 17th mate

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7705 on: October 19, 2017, 03:49:13 pm »
Nov 17th mate

Haha, skim read the 17th a while back and thought it was Oct. Another month to wait!

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #7706 on: October 19, 2017, 04:52:39 pm »
I picked it up from a private site I'm on...three months ago! I'm still waiting for subs! There should be subs about, shortly. I did have three seasons of Penoza that were sans subs for close to five years...so a few months is easy. ;D

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #7707 on: October 19, 2017, 04:55:23 pm »
For those who watched the fantastical and fantastic Jordskott....tonight on ITV Encore is episode one of season/series two.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZmIqa5Jdkj4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZmIqa5Jdkj4</a>

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #7708 on: October 19, 2017, 09:34:47 pm »

Oh God dont you start too! Theres already enough delicate flowers out there as it is. Cant sneeze 50 feet away from someone without being called sexist. Yes I know it makes no sense, as does a lot of the PC Brigade shite.
Its got fuck all to do with xenophobia. Its the fact the Americans took our language, as such, and have added their own nuances and now we are using things. No, there is no need as we already have words. If there wasnt a word for a bulk of TV or several bulks of TV then fine. Call it Spring, sorry, a season, but there is.
If we want to go down a daft route then i'll play too. To me it shows a lack of respect for your own tongue.

Only when I talk about you playing COD ;D ;D ;D ;D

You see there is only you who think that...no proof. No had you a PUSS4 then we would see in COD WWII, but you have an inferior product ;)

Dont know if you are from the UK or age, but for as long as I can remember (early 80's) it has always been series. When the A Team ended the person used to say, there will be a new series of the A team next summer. That would be series 2/3/4/5 whatever. Since the advent of Netfix and the sheep mentality of people, here and there you see season this and season that. For a forum with members that pull each other up and various things, then Im having my go thanks.

Again, Steve Coogan thins the same. A season is spring, summer, autumn, winter. Simple.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #7709 on: October 19, 2017, 09:49:08 pm »
Its fucking series if you are from these united kingdoms or whatevez lolz fleek lit woke goat savage banger FR

Fuck...

Be warned no-one is immune FFS, low key. on the DL

Fuck

Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #7710 on: October 19, 2017, 10:09:07 pm »
not for nothing, but shouldn't all this series/season shite be in the 'small things that annoy you' thread?...

anyway

Undercover...Bulgarian drama on Amazon prime...cop infiltrates the Bulgarian Mafia ...close calls akimbo ensue....fairly humdrum stuff, with low production values..but strangely enjoyable
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #7711 on: October 19, 2017, 10:27:27 pm »
not for nothing, but shouldn't all this series/season shite be in the 'small things that annoy you' thread?...

anyway

Undercover...Bulgarian drama on Amazon prime...cop infiltrates the Bulgarian Mafia ...close calls akimbo ensue....fairly humdrum stuff, with low production values..but strangely enjoyable
That Pod Pritrikie? I liked that too.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #7712 on: October 19, 2017, 10:28:19 pm »
Fuck off with the semantics bollox...start a thread, eh.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #7713 on: October 19, 2017, 10:33:26 pm »
Two new shows I saw earlier.

Loudermilk stars Ron Livingstone as a a recovering alcoholic and substance abuse counselor with a bad attitude, manages to piss off everyone. Although his drinking is under control, he discovers that when your life is a complete mess, getting clean is the easy part.

White Famous is a show with Jay Pharoah playing a comedian rising thru the ranks of the stand-up world and braces for "break-out" fame.

Both are good...there's a great little part for Jamie Foxx in the opening ep of White Famous....just nutz.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #7714 on: October 19, 2017, 10:36:02 pm »
That Pod Pritrikie? I liked that too.

yeah D, the very same...digging it and just about to start season 2...has a certain Eastern European charm!
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #7715 on: October 19, 2017, 10:42:04 pm »
yeah D, the very same...digging it and just about to start season 2...has a certain Eastern European charm!
It's the only Bulgarian show I know. ;D

You watched Umbre? (Relu is a family man. He has two children, a wife and a double life. Seen through the eyes of his family, Relu Oncescu appears to be an ordinary taxi driver. No one suspects that Relu works as a collector for Capitanu', a local mobster. Neither of the two worlds (his family and the mafia) knows of the other's existence.) Season two is coming soon.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #7716 on: October 19, 2017, 11:34:13 pm »

It is, I think thats why Yannis was seeing his Anis earlier ;D

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #7717 on: October 20, 2017, 10:25:44 am »

SMF is not threaded, it is a topic. Actually.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #7718 on: October 20, 2017, 07:14:02 pm »
It's the only Bulgarian show I know. ;D

You watched Umbre? (Relu is a family man. He has two children, a wife and a double life. Seen through the eyes of his family, Relu Oncescu appears to be an ordinary taxi driver. No one suspects that Relu works as a collector for Capitanu', a local mobster. Neither of the two worlds (his family and the mafia) knows of the other's existence.) Season two is coming soon.

I'm liking the sound of that D...will check it out

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #7719 on: October 20, 2017, 07:29:48 pm »
For those who watched the fantastical and fantastic Jordskott....tonight on ITV Encore is episode one of season/series two.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZmIqa5Jdkj4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZmIqa5Jdkj4</a>
PB.  ;)

Jordskott (2017) S02 E01 - 720p x265 HEVC - SWE (ENG SUBS) [BRSH
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 08:41:37 pm by dave 5516 »