Author Topic: Club statement, re ticket prices  (Read 7557 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: Club statement, re ticket prices
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2024, 05:47:35 pm »
Using a £745 Kop ST in 23/24 as an example, 2% per year to 2028/29 would take it to £822.54

£39.21 per game to £43.29 per game.

I would argue that factoring in the previous price freeze and equating it over 10 years only really makes sense if you ignore what the club actually wanted to do before 10,000 people walked out against Sunderland, and if you think the current price is reasonable. Asking working class people in Liverpool to pay £40 a pop to watch a game of footie is already too high. I said on another thread, clubs should be reducing prices not increasing them, because gate receipts are becoming less important as a percentage of income, and given the extra hospitality seats the club now has via the Upper Anny, the general price rising for everyone else should be the lowest of priorities.
If memory serves, that 10K was improved with Hodgson being there ;D

Ethically, morally and any other olly's, you are right, no two ways about it, however, we are a business, and businesses are out to make money. As blunt and as shit as it sounds - there sperate funding sources and revenue streams and end of season PL sheets, the line that says income from tickets - has some dust on it, they've just announced they're blowing it off.

The inevitability of this was when once in a book, then in a card and now a page on a phone - a few years back, it said supporter number on this itmes - now it says customer number. Theres your inevitability of this right there.

I applaud the committee for challenging the club, but to think this committee has any sway other than a coercive emotional sway, may be sadly be let down. Again, a shit reality, but that's where we are.

Can the fans protest, absolutely, will the club listen, I hope so - but what that initial demonstration was of removing flags, had absolutely and how intended it was - it had absolutely fuck all to do with us being shit on Thursday night, if anyone thinks that, you need to give your head a wobble, we stunk, because we stunk.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2024, 05:49:27 pm »
They can piss off. All they seem to do is throw obstacles in klopps way. Could they not have waited until summer to announce this?

The ST renewal was sent last week(my have been the week before)
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2024, 05:50:25 pm »
Another thing showing the difference between the entirely on social media fanbase vs those who actually go the game, like the crying over spending money each summer and a whole number of other things.

Its such a pisstake by the club to annoy a key part of what makes the club what it is, for an amount of money that is a rounding error in much of what the club spends. The talk of membership cost increases is ridiculous, I already pay £30 just to be able to buy tickets which are massively oversubscribed- what are they going to put that up to in future?

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2024, 05:55:47 pm »
I understand what you are saying and I'm not defending the club, I'm trying to show some form of balance, I could just shout corruption! ;D

Lets be honest, what they pay players, left being relative to the working man 30-40 years ago, nothing is new in what they get paid, can afford and their total disconnection with the working fan, however, as we know - it isn't a working class game no more.

Anfield is a tourist centre in large swathes and socusers who have let ST's go in the 80's and 90's have either lost their place, or, are now touting them out (waits for SOS to sort that little beauty out, and possibly with der mates!).
Yes its my club and yes it feels wrong considering the money in the game, however, its a business and whilst some may think they are right with corporate America in the customer is always right, they need to understand the more commonly known phrase in business in the states, is called 'sweating the asset' this is what we are seeing. For me, not a massive sweat, but a sweat none the less.

I'd loved to see a reduction in prices, we all would, though I do take comfort in that, for a club our size in the premier league, we are reasonably priced, nothing better mind, but reasonable.

The thing is they aren't sweating the asset in Boston.

The average salary in Boston is around double that of Liverpool but you can pick up Baseball tickets for around $10 for some games.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2024, 05:57:53 pm »
The thing is they aren't sweating the asset in Boston.

The average salary in Boston is around double that of Liverpool but you can pick up Baseball tickets for around $10 for some games.

Apples and oranges.

Online Stevo

• Not unique in his worship of Erik Meijer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2024, 05:59:57 pm »
Genuine question, what would be a reasonable and fair price for a premier league ticket in 2024?

£10? £20? £30? £40?

If people are arguing against below inflation price increases then what do you think they should be set at? Is a price freeze still too much?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2024, 06:01:06 pm »
Honestly just geta few more extra sponsorship deals. We get paid buy PELTON for fucks sakes...in 2024. WHO THE FUCK USES PELTON IN 2024?

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2024, 06:02:11 pm »
They can piss off. All they seem to do is throw obstacles in klopps way. Could they not have waited until summer to announce this?

I'm as opposed to the price rises as much as anyone and have let it been known in plenty of posts but I don't think the protest the other night had anything to do with the result, I think he clearly picked the wrong team against a side who pretty clearly wanted it more. Just have to hope the atmosphere isn't as dire tomorrow.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2024, 06:03:13 pm »
Feels like the least they could have done is throw a bone and say they are freezing them for another year and maybe not piss off the main support with 3 home games of a potential title winning run to go. The twats signing off these decisions are so far removed from the average match going supporters. 
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2024, 06:03:38 pm »
Genuine question, what would be a reasonable and fair price for a premier league ticket in 2024?

£10? £20? £30? £40?

If people are arguing against below inflation price increases then what do you think they should be set at? Is a price freeze still too much?
The national fan groups pushed for 20's plenty - aways are currently capped at £30, though that's the luxury of an away, home fans are left to the behest of their owners in and their P&L sheets.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 06:05:43 pm by CHOPPER »

Offline Cozzymoto

• Main Stander
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2024, 06:04:10 pm »
We are one of the cheapest in the league for a club our status and the price rise ain’t as bad as the other clubs around us. 2% ain’t too bad considering. But hey seems like I may be in the minority.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2024, 06:04:37 pm »
Feels like the least they could have done is throw a bone and say they are freezing them for another year and maybe not piss off the main support with 3 home games of a potential title winning run to go. The twats signing off these decisions are so far removed from the average match going supporters. 

ST renewals have been issued.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2024, 06:06:14 pm »
We are one of the cheapest in the league for a club our status and the price rise ain’t as bad as the other clubs around us. 2% ain’t too bad considering. But hey seems like I may be in the minority.

I'm pretty sure compared against the average wage across the UK we're comfortably one of the most expensive, if not the most expensive when it comes to season ticket prices. Unless you're counting one of them mad ones at Fulham that cost like 3 grand.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline kiwiscouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2024, 06:11:14 pm »
If I’m right, that’s 2% every year for 5 years, so roughly that’s 10% increase over 5 years if my dumb maths is correct, but with no rise in the previous 5, that’s a 10% rise over 10 years(roughly speaking) which equates to 1% per year, over 10 years. Is that correct?

If it’s 2% of the new price each year then it is more than  2% of the original price (if that makes sense? Bit like compound interest)

Offline Macc77

• Anny Roader
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2024, 06:12:03 pm »

£10? £20? £30? £40?

If we're using inflation as a guide, you could get on the Kop for a fiver pre-PL, that would be about £10.50 in todays money. Starting with what prices are in 2024 as some ground zero figure and working from there ignores that clubs have been shafting fans with prices far exceeding any inflationary increases for years.

£25-30 is still far in excess of that metric, but I'd deem that acceptable, but (IMO) £40 a game for the cheapest adult ST in the ground isn't. So, for me, the issue is that people are already being shafted, not that a 2% increase takes things from fair to unfair.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2024, 06:15:47 pm »

I get what you are saying, couldn't do the mathematics so added some fat on..... I have a fair bit to share. ;D

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2024, 06:19:17 pm »
Daniel Austin @_Dan_Austin
A business worth of billions of pounds charges members £27 just for the chance to try and buy £61 tickets, and now wants to raise that price further.

Inexplicable. A total piss take.

Do not for one minute tell anybody protesting that they're in the wrong.

2:45 PM · Apr 13, 2024

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2024, 06:20:40 pm »

£10? £20? £30? £40?

£300 according to the solid chunk of season ticket holders/members with full away credits who make a nice healthy profit every- …. Never mind

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2024, 06:27:31 pm »
I agree completely.

If the last home game of the season is a title decider then I think what the club should do is a Booking.com. Cancel all the tickets issue refunds at face value. Then sell the tickets off at £500 a pop. Sounds harsh- but the club is a business. This shouldn't come as a surprise.

I'd love the fans en masse to sell their tickets for one game to tourists, then let them see and hear what Anfield sounds like, it'd be fucking shite.

Kop last week, a couple walked in with a kid of about 1 Yr old, :butt
Jurgen YNWA

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2024, 06:27:46 pm »
Great, then they don't need to do it for such a meaningless amount.

;D Exactly!

It’s mad this, they won’t make much on this increase.
Why not leave the ticket prices as they are. In fact, decrease prices - and send a message out to the league as a whole that it’s possible to have more reasonable tickets. They make money in so many other areas, give back to the fans a bit and encourage others to do the same. Other big leagues make it far more affordable, it is possible.

But yes, I know that’s a pipe-dream.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2024, 06:28:50 pm »

£10? £20? £30? £40?

According to SOS and based on the last day of the Kop being £8, and inflation it should be £16 a game
Jurgen YNWA

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2024, 06:37:08 pm »
Aren't we reasonably priced compared to other Premier League clubs?

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2024, 06:40:08 pm »

Irrelevant.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2024, 06:41:13 pm »
£300 according to the solid chunk of season ticket holders/members with full away credits who make a nice healthy profit every- …. Never mind

That is like saying the cost of living in a picturesque setting that is your birthplace should be £2000 a week just because that is what an AirBNB can make. The world has gone truly mad. You have locals in Tenerife going on hunger strike because mass tourism and a cost of living crisis has made it nigh on impossible to rent accommodation.

People who have full-time jobs are living in shanty towns because it is impossible to rent anywhere. That is the evil of capitalism. Just because you can charge an exorbitant price doesn't mean you should do.

The authorities should move in and cap prices the way they have done for away tickets.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2024, 06:41:40 pm »
Spurs are looking at dropping their concessionary rate for over-65s, so perhaps not?

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2024, 06:42:27 pm »

If you look at the cheapest ticket prices No.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2024, 06:44:50 pm »
If you look at the cheapest ticket prices No.
How did we compare in that respect then? Also for highest price?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2024, 06:45:07 pm »

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2024, 06:47:13 pm »
That is like saying the cost of living in a picturesque setting that is your birthplace should be £2000 a week just because that is what an AirBNB can make. The world has gone truly mad. You have locals in Tenerife going on hunger strike because mass tourism and a cost of living crisis has made it nigh on impossible to rent accommodation.

People who have full-time jobs are living in shanty towns because it is impossible to rent anywhere. That is the evil of capitalism. Just because you can charge an exorbitant price doesn't mean you should do.

The authorities should move in and cap prices the way they have done for away tickets.

I don't have a stake in this as such as I'm probably what a lot of people here would think of as a 'day tripper' - I just see my membership as a donation to the club for all I get from it ticket-wise - but yes, absolutely so.

I see people making this exact argument when people say they can't afford to live in London or Manchester or Bristol anymore, and the tone of discussions elsewhere online about this protest is strikingly similar. 'Entitled.' 'If you can't afford it, someone else can.' 'Cut back on something else'. Cities die when only the wealthy can continue to afford to live in them. So do atmospheres.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2024, 07:00:23 pm »
How did we compare in that respect then? Also for highest price?

Adult season tickets go from £713 to £904 that is Kop to main stand.

If you are looking at comparables then for 22/23 the cheapest adult season ticket was £385 at City, £417 at Newcastle, £515 at Everton and £559 at United.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2024, 07:22:16 pm »
Adult season tickets go from £713 to £904 that is Kop to main stand.

If you are looking at comparables then for 22/23 the cheapest adult season ticket was £385 at City, £417 at Newcastle, £515 at Everton and £559 at United.
Cheers. That's the cheapest for us in the entire ground (ST wise?). Also is that price for Kop 22/23 as well?

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2024, 07:35:47 pm »
Cheers. That's the cheapest for us in the entire ground (ST wise?). Also is that price for Kop 22/23 as well?

The cheapest price in the ground but they are the 23/24 prices.

That only tells half the story though. For the ARE if you want a ticket for tomorrow in Brodies sports bar hospitality, you get some street food, one half time drink, a programme and a visit from an ex player. if you were being incredibly generous that adds up to around £150-£200 in value.

You can book that now directly from the Club for £650. So that seat in the ARE after you strip back the value of the hospitality is bringing in £8-9k a season.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2024, 07:48:01 pm »
The cheapest price in the ground but they are the 23/24 prices.

That only tells half the story though. For the ARE if you want a ticket for tomorrow in Brodies sports bar hospitality, you get some street food, one half time drink, a programme and a visit from an ex player. if you were being incredibly generous that adds up to around £150-£200 in value.

You can book that now directly from the Club for £650. So that seat in the ARE after you strip back the value of the hospitality is bringing in £8-9k a season.

Modern footy has been truly hijacked by groups like FSG. They’re selling us  as a working class brand … I refuse to be their product anymore. Fact is, the Liverpool I supported when I was a kid is now pretty much dead. Either accept this zombie version or move on. The penny dropped for me with this 2% ticket price rise shit.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2024, 08:01:13 pm »
I think it is a strong argument to take a look at the whole league, and work out how to take steps to make it more like the match going experience they have in Germany. The Uli Hoenness quote on the last page is old, but gold.

There needs to be a league wide approach.

I am out of step with the thrust of the arguments on here, but I think a very modest price rise, such as this, and on the back of a period where prices have been frozen, is justified. I am sure the overall costs of putting on a game at Anfield have risen significantly more.

It is a wider conversation to ask whether going to the game is too expensive. Many would say that threshold was crossed some years ago, and personally I’d love to see a league wide effort to move it more in the direction of the Bundesliga for match going fans.

The error FSG have made is in not consulting. If they said they would consult with fans, then it is very poor indeed to not do that.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 08:04:26 pm by G Richards »

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2024, 08:13:41 pm »
I think it is a strong argument to take a look at the whole league, and work out how to take steps to make it more like the match going experience they have in Germany. The Uli Hoenness quote on the last page is old, but gold.

There needs to be a league wide approach.

I am out of step with the thrust of the arguments on here, but I think a very modest price rise, such as this, and on the back of a period where prices have been frozen, is justified. I am sure the overall costs of putting on a game at Anfield have risen significantly more.

It is a wider conversation to ask whether going to the game is too expensive. Many would say that threshold was crossed some years ago, and personally I’d love to see a league wide effort to move it more in the direction of the Bundesliga for match going fans.

The error FSG have made is in not consulting. If they said they would consult with fans, then it is very poor indeed to not do that.

German football is heavily regulated and has compulsory fan ownership. The Premier League has virtually no regulation and has become the haven of nation-states, despots and billionaire US consortiums. That is the issue.

When the fans get together and make fantastic changes such as the cap on away ticket prices they are attacked by their own. When 1906 and SOS organised the 77th minute protest they were attacked by our so-called fans.

It is the usual case of divide and conquer. We need to stick together demand lower ticket prices and push for proper regulation of English football. What we need is fan representation and above all a degree of compulsory fan ownership.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2024, 08:50:35 pm »
We paid £31.5m to stinky, corrupt agents this season though.   ::)

Offline mattyyt

• Anny Roader
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2024, 08:56:39 pm »
I'd love the fans en masse to sell their tickets for one game to tourists, then let them see and hear what Anfield sounds like, it'd be fucking shite.

Kop last week, a couple walked in with a kid of about 1 Yr old, :butt

Go the Wolves game next month and you’ll see just that, there’s a ridiculous number of tickets being touted every week. Would love to the see the same uproar around that.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2024, 09:03:35 pm »
Go the Wolves game next month and you’ll see just that, there’s a ridiculous number of tickets being touted every week. Would love to the see the same uproar around that.

The club could use technology to stamp out touting overnight. They choose not to because they are the biggest touts out of anyone. The club benefits massively from touting because the day trippers and tourists spend in the club shop and spend far more in the ground.

As I showed earlier add in a bit of food, 1 drink and a programme and a £50 ticket suddenly becomes a £650 package. They do kindly offer a discount though if you buy a vastly overpriced hotel room through Expedia though.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2024, 10:29:30 pm »
This is understandably a very emotive and sensitive subject.
And unless there's an unlikely introduction of a player cap I wonder if there's no right or wrong on the current situation.
Because this is correct
I'd loved to see a reduction in prices, we all would, though I do take comfort in that, for a club our size in the premier league, we are reasonably priced, nothing better mind, but reasonable.
and this is also correct....
Daniel Austin @_Dan_Austin
A business worth of billions of pounds charges members £27 just for the chance to try and buy £61 tickets, and now wants to raise that price further.
Inexplicable. A total piss take.
Do not for one minute tell anybody protesting that they're in the wrong.

Hear me out.
Particularly because we have a recently fresh cost of living thread on RAWK. It's hitting us all.

Put aside income for a minute, lets talk about expenditure.
Does anyone remember when Tony Barrett got his job at the club? Flippin hec it was a few years ago. After a few months he was interviewed on a podcast and I'm not sure what the exact question was but it was about spending. His answer was simple and he clearly understood the inside/background of the business. It's all about budgeting. There's a budget for dozens of accounts outside of the playing and managerial staff. Even when a ball isn't being kicked. Community work, the LFC Foundation, miscellaneous subjects, sponsorship, etc etc.

But lets look at a typical match day, and I'm not being snide saying anyone that goes to the game will understand it more. The amount of staff involved inside & outside of the ground is startling. Police and security. Stewarding to a high level. Ground-staff. Etc etc. It's an enormous operation and is not funded for 90 minutes, probably more like 5 hours.

Do we want the Liverpool Football Club staff to have a pay freeze?
Do we want those people that serve the club during irregular hours to have a 2% or perhaps more than a 2% wage increase?
What did everyone get this year?

Is anything that the club is buying not increasing in cost - no.
Do we have astute procurement policies so our margins are as good as they can be - probably.
Did we lose out from CL revenue this year - yes.

Clearly the club are also being squeezed, so our question is how do they find savings or economies. Under the current football climate if they apply it to current player salaries or potential player signings which might impact on-field results would be heavily criticised by our entire fan base.

Can we get lower interest rates on the capital expenditure on the ground improvement - No (don't go there Al).
Can we pay less dividends to owners or shareholders - doesn't seem so.

I understand the proportionality of matchday income compared to the overall business size and also the increased revenue from the stadium capacity and hospitality, I'm just freshening the discussion.

If we want tickets prices frozen or reduced while expecting stadium staff to be paid satisfactorily in the face of inexorable rising costs, we either reduce players wages or we demand higher sponsorship deals within the parameters of our own decency.

I'm not being flippant but what if the Anny Rd was named the McNasty's stand. Would you take that or the the 2%?
It's not an irrelevant subject.

Which and what is going to be stretched?

Just asking  :wave

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2024, 10:45:58 pm »
This is understandably a very emotive and sensitive subject.
And unless there's an unlikely introduction of a player cap I wonder if there's no right or wrong on the current situation.
Because this is correctand this is also correct....
Hear me out.
Particularly because we have a recently fresh cost of living thread on RAWK. It's hitting us all.

Put aside income for a minute, lets talk about expenditure.
Does anyone remember when Tony Barrett got his job at the club? Flippin hec it was a few years ago. After a few months he was interviewed on a podcast and I'm not sure what the exact question was but it was about spending. His answer was simple and he clearly understood the inside/background of the business. It's all about budgeting. There's a budget for dozens of accounts outside of the playing and managerial staff. Even when a ball isn't being kicked. Community work, the LFC Foundation, miscellaneous subjects, sponsorship, etc etc.

But lets look at a typical match day, and I'm not being snide saying anyone that goes to the game will understand it more. The amount of staff involved inside & outside of the ground is startling. Police and security. Stewarding to a high level. Ground-staff. Etc etc. It's an enormous operation and is not funded for 90 minutes, probably more like 5 hours.

Do we want the Liverpool Football Club staff to have a pay freeze?
Do we want those people that serve the club during irregular hours to have a 2% or perhaps more than a 2% wage increase?
What did everyone get this year?

Is anything that the club is buying not increasing in cost - no.
Do we have astute procurement policies so our margins are as good as they can be - probably.
Did we lose out from CL revenue this year - yes.

Clearly the club are also being squeezed, so our question is how do they find savings or economies. Under the current football climate if they apply it to current player salaries or potential player signings which might impact on-field results would be heavily criticised by our entire fan base.

Can we get lower interest rates on the capital expenditure on the ground improvement - No (don't go there Al).
Can we pay less dividends to owners or shareholders - doesn't seem so.

I understand the proportionality of matchday income compared to the overall business size and also the increased revenue from the stadium capacity and hospitality, I'm just freshening the discussion.

If we want tickets prices frozen or reduced while expecting stadium staff to be paid satisfactorily in the face of inexorable rising costs, we either reduce players wages or we demand higher sponsorship deals within the parameters of our own decency.

I'm not being flippant but what if the Anny Rd was named the McNasty's stand. Would you take that or the the 2%?
It's not an irrelevant subject.

Which and what is going to be stretched?

Just asking  :wave

The big ‘elephant in the room’ is the extent of increases incurred pre Covid, well certainly pre the ‘price freeze’ years.  I’m a ST holder and can afford the uplift, but not all can. 

It’s an own goal from the clubs perspective.