Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 325266 times)

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
Re: Cody Mathès Gakpo
« Reply #4080 on: April 5, 2024, 02:48:38 pm »
Football Manager has got a lot to answer for, as was famously once said, football is played on grass.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #4081 on: April 5, 2024, 02:53:50 pm »
Football Manager has got a lot to answer for, as was famously once said, football is played on grass.

It is, and he had been playing it badly recently. It's not like we wanted him to. Your attitude to this is so, so, weird. Do you think because someone posts a critical comment about a crap game on a forum that we don't support them when they put the shirt on?
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #4082 on: April 5, 2024, 02:59:27 pm »
If our best player (currently) is going out of his way to praise someone who has been getting a fair bit of shit recently on social media, I feel like the sensible response should be 'Yeah fair enough Macca, lets all pull in the same direction for the rest of the season' instead of 'I reserve the right to be able to slate any player I want online if he's not played very well'. I dont think anyone's saying that some posts on RAWK have upset Cody Gakpo but its the biggest Liverpool forum, its a bit naïve to think there's no influence possible.

I'm sure there's going to be plenty for us to be critical of in a few months when Jurgens left, until then is it maybe wise not to feed into any social media nonsense towards any of our players? Surely another six and a half weeks is doable? :D

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #4083 on: April 5, 2024, 03:02:18 pm »
But people seem to think that 'wow he was a bit crap today' is like hanging him out to dry. It's massively different from Carragher going on Twitter to millions of followers to call him out. *shrug*

Fair enough, I'll bow out, but I find this all very fucking weird.  It's not gonna be much of a forum if we all link hands and sing kumbiyah.

Notwithstanding that these posts are coming off the back off everyone saying he played well! Because he did!  :butt :butt

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #4084 on: April 5, 2024, 03:06:29 pm »
But people seem to think that 'wow he was a bit crap today' is like hanging him out to dry. It's massively different from Carragher going on Twitter to millions of followers to call him out. *shrug*

Fair enough, I'll bow out, but I find this all very fucking weird.  It's not gonna be much of a forum if we all link hands and sing kumbiyah.

Notwithstanding that these posts are coming off the back off everyone saying he played well! Because he did!  :butt :butt

Until the end of the season....thats pretty much exactly what it should be!

Then we can all open fire when we hire Graham Potter in the summer.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4085 on: April 5, 2024, 03:18:04 pm »
If our best player (currently) is going out of his way to praise someone who has been getting a fair bit of shit recently on social media, I feel like the sensible response should be 'Yeah fair enough Macca, lets all pull in the same direction for the rest of the season' instead of 'I reserve the right to be able to slate any player I want online if he's not played very well'. I dont think anyone's saying that some posts on RAWK have upset Cody Gakpo but its the biggest Liverpool forum, its a bit naïve to think there's no influence possible.

I'm sure there's going to be plenty for us to be critical of in a few months when Jurgens left, until then is it maybe wise not to feed into any social media nonsense towards any of our players? Surely another six and a half weeks is doable? :D

What pisses me off is when some of these no-mark football sites try grab click-baits by putting up a header that's totally untrue. 'Liverpool fans are seething at performance of 20 year player' for example. It turns out that these 'seething' Liverpool fans are just a few knobheads from the other side of the world who've never been anywhere near Anfield & they post on X or Facebook because said player had an average game.

Online StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #4086 on: April 5, 2024, 03:18:06 pm »
Agree with most everyone that Cody looked really sharp against the Blades. 

I think he is an excellent player and such a valuable guy to have on the roster because he plays well and gives his full effort no matter where he's positioned on the field.  That said, it's obvious that he's been going through a bit of a rough stretch over the last six weeks maybe? 

So, I've no problem with anyone calling out his weak recent performances.  That's certainly one thing fan forums are good for.  And, I doubt Gakpo would disagree with that assessment of his recent game either.  What grinds my gears is how so many people are pointing to this bad run as proof positive that he'll never make it here, will be moved on from next season, is not LFC quality, is a waste of a roster space, etc., etc. 

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #4087 on: April 5, 2024, 03:19:38 pm »
Until the end of the season....thats pretty much exactly what it should be!

Then we can all open fire when we hire Graham Potter in the summer.

:D OK that made me laugh.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4088 on: April 5, 2024, 03:39:27 pm »
Yeah I'm seeing people say along the lines of a year and a half and he's yet to prove he's good enough

But I thought the consensus after last season was that he had done very well and been a part of us turning things around. Swear there were people saying what's the point of Darwin if we're gonna play that system which was going pretty well with Cody.

If he was starting every game like end of last season it would be obviously easier for him to get some form going. Not saying that should make him free from criticism - of course its up to him to make an impact whatever his role is. Just he has shown his talent, he's contributed in the cups, and still been chipping in the league despite not being first choice.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4089 on: April 5, 2024, 04:05:08 pm »

You're not alone, think you're spot on.

There's a real moralistic edge going around (not just RAWK, just generally), where anything that goes over the most low of low thresholds people are quick to stick the boot in on fellow supporters for having committed the great thoughtcrime of suggesting that one of our players didn't run very far and wasn't kicking a ball to his best ability.

I wish some of these people who've decided that discussing our games - both the great and the not so great (within reasonable bounds, obviously) - dared step foot in a pub around anfield (or the away ground) on a match day. Try telling all of us (/them, don't do aways anymore) there that they're fucking dickheads who don't know how to support their team for daring to have and to share a view that one of our players played badly

Don't get me wrong, I agree with self policing in the ground, and have done it plenty (most recently calling out some prick behind me in 305 calling Trent shite among other unkind words, minutes before he set up a goal) - but that's because the shouts, and the moans, and the huffs from the crowd contribute to the atmosphere that the players hear which means it feeds through to their performance given how the crowd and the team feed off each other).

But the puritanical judging, moralising and policing of very very standard and not-out-of-order opinions like 'i think x player is better than y player, so I hope x starts and y is on the bench' on a football discussion forum is just so fucking joyless and tiresome (and must be exhausting to those people who have to act like they're whiter than white - even though they've usually been guilty of the same thoughtcrimes)
« Last Edit: April 5, 2024, 04:06:43 pm by classycarra »

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4090 on: April 5, 2024, 04:13:27 pm »
Part of the problem is social media in that the internet nowadays is much more like the ground than the pub. I do think people should think of a forum as more of a pub than the ground though in terms of what kind of discussions are criticised. This place is not Twitter/ Instagram etc, our discussions here aren’t bleeding through to the players like moans in the crowd do or horrible comments on a Gapko Instagram post does. So I’d never say to Gapko’s face, ‘you’re a great 5th choice Gapko, don’t think you should be starting many games for us mind’. And I shouldn’t @ that at Gapko on Twitter. But I would say that in a pub and I should be able to say it here.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2024, 04:15:54 pm by Knight »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4091 on: April 5, 2024, 04:24:19 pm »
I think the problem is we've all become know it all fuckwits who think we know the game inside out and we want to show off how smart we are, instead of just supporting the team

I am including myself in this.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4092 on: April 5, 2024, 04:28:05 pm »
I think the problem is we've all become know it all fuckwits who think we know the game inside out and we want to show off how smart we are, instead of just supporting the team

Part of being human, no problem as long as you have the humilty to accept when you're wrong.

Players get millions ££ a year, a few bad words about them in that context for me is nothingness.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4093 on: April 5, 2024, 05:14:32 pm »
Part of the problem is social media in that the internet nowadays is much more like the ground than the pub.

The fuckin Internet is nothing like either, it's an imaginary world you make up in your own head.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4094 on: April 5, 2024, 05:22:13 pm »
Its ok to criticize players for bad games, but Gakpo has been singled out in a ridiculous manner recently.
Some players can play really poorly without critique, but Gakpo got 10 pages for a game where he played like 20 minutes.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4095 on: April 5, 2024, 05:22:37 pm »

The fuckin Internet is nothing like either, it's an imaginary world you make up in your own head.

;D

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4096 on: April 5, 2024, 05:25:31 pm »
Its ok to criticize players for bad games, but Gakpo has been singled out in a ridiculous manner recently.
Some players can play really poorly without critique, but Gakpo got 10 pages for a game where he played like 20 minutes.

Generally speaking, fans (and particularly Liverpool fans) are quite a forgiving bunch if we see a player put in a shift. That may have shifted in recent years with the sudden rise in quality across the squad, but by and large a player can get away with a lot as long as they are seen to exert 100%

That has the main criticism of Gakpo. He showed yesterday that he's a player with great quality but his short cameos against Brighton and particularly United were languid at best. Don't think his running style helps because the stats suggest he's actually a pretty efficient presser. Plus, fans love a fucking moan so there's that.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4097 on: April 5, 2024, 05:26:58 pm »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4098 on: April 5, 2024, 05:33:12 pm »
Well that's interesting because it definitely filters through to the players otherwise Mac Allister wouldn't be calling it out in his post match interview yesterday when he stuck up for Gakpo citing recent criticism.

Saw that from Mac Allister, that was great.

Agree about it filtering through to the players. Klopp has spoken about stuff like and I remember Alisson speaking after the Newcastle game too.

And Gakpo has been getting criticism, both from the fanbase and people in the media, like that book Carragher.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4099 on: April 5, 2024, 06:13:03 pm »
Agree with most everyone that Cody looked really sharp against the Blades. 

I think he is an excellent player and such a valuable guy to have on the roster because he plays well and gives his full effort no matter where he's positioned on the field.  That said, it's obvious that he's been going through a bit of a rough stretch over the last six weeks maybe? 

So, I've no problem with anyone calling out his weak recent performances.  That's certainly one thing fan forums are good for.  And, I doubt Gakpo would disagree with that assessment of his recent game either.  What grinds my gears is how so many people are pointing to this bad run as proof positive that he'll never make it here, will be moved on from next season, is not LFC quality, is a waste of a roster space, etc., etc.

Can I move you on for using the word ‘roster’  ;D

Offline "Bobber" Thanks :)

• But Hicks Is Still A Wanker
  • Kopite
« Reply #4100 on: April 6, 2024, 10:31:12 am »
I enjoyed this light hearted interview with him. He’s a very deep and intelligent individual for a young lad only 24 and a great sense of humour. His nickname back in the NL was long neck, it does suit him  ;D

https://youtu.be/5IcSka2bSK8?si=2SMtcVDgYabb5COG

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #4101 on: April 6, 2024, 10:34:56 am »
Ridiculous to believe criticism does not get back to the players and that it has no effect on their confidence, our fan base should only encourage and support our players, they get enough stick from the oppo fans
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4102 on: April 6, 2024, 11:07:42 am »

Tell that to people in the public eye who have to endure 100s or 1000s of posts full of bile directed their way on various social media platforms. A mob is a mob, physically or virtually.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4103 on: April 6, 2024, 11:43:13 am »
Ridiculous to believe criticism does not get back to the players and that it has no effect on their confidence, our fan base should only encourage and support our players, they get enough stick from the oppo fans
I don't think it's a Rawk thing because people were @ing him with nasty stuff Instagram just because he had a poir game which anybody can have. Here, if a player had a poor game then it's mentioned but that's the end. If he has a good time out then he gets praise and I don't see what's wrong with that.

Very rarely is it a personal agenda against the player here because what normally happens is that you then get OTT reactions when a players has a poor game which is weird. "Oh, don't knock on the player" and so on when in most cases the "criticism" temds to be balanced. After the United, it was even said that Gakpo was "scapegoated " which wasn't true because there is barely any mention of him in the post-match thread. The thread grew because of the shock ocaused by some saying that a player had a poor game which he did.

The Twitter and Instagram eggs take it too far by abusing players.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2024, 11:47:10 am by MonsLibpool »

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4104 on: April 6, 2024, 12:45:57 pm »
Tell that to people in the public eye who have to endure 100s or 1000s of posts full of bile directed their way on various social media platforms. A mob is a mob, physically or virtually.

Like I said, it's in your head, some people can deal with it and some can't. Status is irrelevant people are human.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4105 on: April 7, 2024, 08:41:09 am »

Yeah, true of many other topics online as well.

The other thing is footballers are human beings. No club ever signs 10 players
and 9 of them turn out to be perfect worldies who enhance the squad and fulfil their potential 100%.

To me Cody looks a decent player who *might* not be a great fit for us but he has a role to play
in upcoming Europa league games and who knows, a Gapko winner could yet make an historic impact on this title race...

They all have to play up and look sharp for a new coach (snif) soon enough anyway.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4106 on: April 7, 2024, 01:20:13 pm »
No better way to get the fans on your side than scoring against ManU

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4107 on: April 7, 2024, 01:26:14 pm »
How many match winning and 2nd goals has he been involved in this season ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4108 on: April 7, 2024, 07:53:49 pm »
didnt do a whole pile when he came in but the effort was a lot better today than in the cup game.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #4109 on: April 7, 2024, 08:48:39 pm »
How many match winning and 2nd goals has he been involved in this season ?
Europa League:
Goal to put us 2 up against LASK

League:
Goal to equalise against Wolves
Goal to equalise against Spurs
Assisted the first goal against Burnley
Goal to put us 3-1 up against Newcastle
Assist to put us 2 up against Bournemouth
Goal to put us 2-1 up against Luton
Goal to put us 3-1 up against Sheffield United

League cup:
Goal to put us 1 up against Leicester
Goal to put us 1 up against Bournemouth
Goal to put us 2 up against Fulham

None in the FA cup.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4110 on: April 7, 2024, 08:52:23 pm »
Europa League:
Goal to put us 2 up against LASK

League:
Goal to equalise against Wolves
Goal to equalise against Spurs
Assisted the first goal against Burnley
Goal to put us 3-1 up against Newcastle
Assist to put us 2 up against Bournemouth
Goal to put us 2-1 up against Luton
Goal to put us 3-1 up against Sheffield United

League cup:
Goal to put us 1 up against Leicester
Goal to put us 1 up against Bournemouth
Goal to put us 2 up against Fulham

None in the FA cup.
Yeah, but from those.

:lmao
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4111 on: April 11, 2024, 10:00:06 pm »
One of our only good players tonight IMO and one of the only ones willing to fight

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4112 on: April 11, 2024, 10:01:14 pm »
Looked more involved but 0 shots from a forward in this team is scandalous.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #4113 on: April 11, 2024, 10:01:56 pm »
Felt a bit for him as he was definitely putting in the effort and had some good touches but seemed to do most of it 30-40 yards out. Not sure what his role was meant to be.

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #4114 on: April 11, 2024, 10:02:31 pm »
One of our only good players tonight IMO and one of the only ones willing to fight

He fought for every ball but we need to be expecting more from him.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4115 on: April 11, 2024, 10:03:06 pm »
He started quite well. We just weren't clinical nor decisive enough to take advantage of his good play.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4116 on: April 11, 2024, 10:11:22 pm »
Could have had a couple of assists when he set up the two Jota headed chances (think he crossed both) a fit and firing Jota scores both of those headers. He was the best of a bad bunch, nothing spectacular but if we want to give anyone credit from that horror show it’s him.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4117 on: April 11, 2024, 10:11:59 pm »
Could have had a couple of assists when he set up the two Jota headed chances (think he crossed both) a fit and firing Jota scores both of those headers. He was the best of a bad bunch, nothing spectacular but if we want to give anyone credit from that horror show it’s him.
Very good play early on to set Darwin up too.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4118 on: April 11, 2024, 10:14:18 pm »
Good game from Cody, great press, best ball control on the pitch, but the rest couldn't benefit much from it. He overhit a few passes, but who didn't.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4119 on: April 11, 2024, 10:14:48 pm »
How did he stay on over Nunez? He hardly is a threat.