Author Topic: Simon Mignolet  (Read 279478 times)

Offline Liam N

• Main Stander
  • Everything that has a beginning has an end
Re: The Simon Mignolet is boss thread.
« Reply #80 on: October 6, 2013, 08:58:13 pm »
I was never a massive Reina fan, though I respected him a great deal.
In any case, Mignolet has been a step up. Really happy with his performances. Quality, quality goalie. A spot-on move by Rodgers.

Though I haven't paid much attention to it, I don't think he's as bad as some say when it comes to dealing with crosses.
Anyway, one of the best things about him is that he's still pretty young, so there's plenty of time for improvement.
Journalist: Are you jeopardising your legendary status by returning?
Kenny: Quite the reverse, I think it would have been on the line if I never took it.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: October 6, 2013, 09:00:48 pm »
Why does everything Mignolet related have to turn into a Reina debate.

Indeed.

We're lucky to have signed an excellent young goalkeeper who is still improving and who's made an excellent start to his Anfield career.

Indeed again. He's settled in really well and will only get better.

And that reflex save from the deflected Palace shot was brilliant.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #82 on: October 6, 2013, 09:02:03 pm »
Define awful?   Statistically (as in number of times he stops the ball when he's supposed to) he's been one of the worst in the premier league so in relative terms to our competition awful is fair

I'd be interested to see the 'save he should have made but didn't' stat you seem to have? Is there also a 'save he shouldn't have made' stat?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: August 1, 2016, 10:53:12 am »
Tin foil hat tightly wrapped on here.

Before Karius injury, if Klopp was looking to sell Mignolet, would our leverage price wise have increased now, as it looks like we need him post Karius injury?

Yes, i'm well aware, short of getting someone on loan, we risk only having Manninger in goal, but as we're not as desperate to sell him now, surely were in a position to get a better price?

The whole 'keep both so they can compete with each other' smacks of the Dudek/Kirkland conundrum.

*Wraps tin foil hat on tighter*
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Online joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: August 1, 2016, 11:21:13 am »

Before Karius injury, if Klopp was looking to sell Mignolet, would our leverage price wise have increased now, as it looks like we need him post Karius injury?

Yes, i'm well aware, short of getting someone on loan, we risk only having Manninger in goal, but as we're not as desperate to sell him now, surely were in a position to get a better price?

The whole 'keep both so they can compete with each other' smacks of the Dudek/Kirkland conundrum.

If you look at the other top-half teams, none of them exactly have nobodies (or 39-year-olds) as second choice keepers. Karrius's injury shows exactly why we need to keep him.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #85 on: August 1, 2016, 11:58:20 am »
Mignolet improved a fair bit since the turn of the year. The gloves are still his to keep now Karius is unfortunately out of contention for a few months. I hope he won't let us down.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #86 on: August 1, 2016, 12:02:40 pm »

Before Karius injury, if Klopp was looking to sell Mignolet

There was absolutely no indication he was looking to sell him. Hadn't seen it discussed by anyone reliable, and in fact hadn't even seen rumours on any crappy sites.

I imagine the intention was to see if Karius could gain the no 1 spot this season, with a competent back up there if he failed to. If he did then Mignolet would likely leave next summer (if he wasn't happy being second choice).

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 1, 2016, 12:29:59 pm »
So you bump a Mignolet is boss thread to cast doubt about him  ::)

The lad needs some support in the coming weeks, nobody listen to the Klopp interview on TAW?

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: August 1, 2016, 12:45:41 pm »

The lad needs some support in the coming weeks, nobody listen to the Klopp interview on TAW?

My concern is how he takes this opportunity

Is it to put himself in the shop window, or does he feel he will get his place back?

Just like when it was mooted Arbeloa and Johnson could compete, but we knew Arby was leaving
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Online Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 1, 2016, 12:53:40 pm »

To be fair, he did say you can moan before and after a game, just not during.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: August 1, 2016, 12:58:21 pm »
To be fair, he did say you can moan before and after a game, just not during.
Did he say commence the moaning before a ball has even been kicked in competitive football :)

Online Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 1, 2016, 01:01:20 pm »
Did he say commence the moaning before a ball has even been kicked in competitive football :)

Haha. That was a great interview though. I really really really love this man. But I digress.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 1, 2016, 01:28:07 pm »

How about keepers always get injured when Mignolet is dropped.  ???

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #93 on: August 1, 2016, 01:46:42 pm »
I think he will step up this season and the arrival and Karius will push him to another level, one of the main things im looking forward to this season, those two battling it out for a first team role.
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 1, 2016, 02:12:26 pm »
My concern is how he takes this opportunity

Is it to put himself in the shop window, or does he feel he will get his place back?

Just like when it was mooted Arbeloa and Johnson could compete, but we knew Arby was leaving

No one has said Karius is our starting keeper so I don't think it'll have much effect on Mignolet, it'll be business as usual as far as he's concerned.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #95 on: August 1, 2016, 04:32:01 pm »

Klopp didn't intend to sell him(not this season at least). I can make that claim with certainty since he never said it or indicated anything of that sort(you might argue that- "of course he wouldn't" but the fact remains) and he signed a new lengthy extension after Klopp had a good look at him(and after he made some errors and were going through a difficult time).

That's an "if" situation that is just that: hypothetical. Privately, Klopp MAY be intent on selling him, but I'm not prepared to claim that since I can't read his mind.

I must say- it feels great to have 2 young, talented keepers looking to duke it out for game time, with a 3rd older, experienced keeper waiting in the wings.
For once, we're serious about this keeper-melarky.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2016, 04:55:07 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2016, 08:10:15 pm »
I was pleased with Simon in the first half. He was more decisive, gave good early shouts, claimed the ball well and his starting position was higher up. The penalty save was a bonus.

However, after their second goal (which I'm not blaming him for), the pressure was back on us and he reverted back to his old hesitant and quiet self.

You can see him trying to adapt but he should have done this last season before Klopp bought Karius.

It's probably too little too late.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 11:45:19 pm by Boaty McBoatface »

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2016, 08:11:22 pm »
That punch in the 15th minute close to the half-way line... I don't ever recall seeing him do that.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2016, 08:17:14 pm »
Been given an unexpected chance to stake a claim to still being number one.....can't argue with that as a start, blameless for any of the goals, commanded his area well and good couple of saves
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2016, 08:21:46 pm »
Thought he had a good first half, saved a penalty and was commanding in the air when he needed to be.

Can only recall one instance of uncertainty in the second half where a cross dropped between him and Lovren and he looked like he didn't know whether to come for it or not so Lovren put it out for a corner.  He got some stick elsewhere for their second goal but I don't think he could have done anything about it given the deflection it took.

Overall I thought he had a good game.  Hopefully we see more of the same moving forward.

Offline Alex Raisbeck

• Kopite
  • 'Arry Redknapp,baggy faced bell end bastard.
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2016, 08:35:32 pm »
I thought he should've saved both their second and third goals personally but I was confident (don't know why?) that he'd save the penalty
"How many lives has Liverpool skipper? 'Tis a puzzle that's hard to unravel; Each game he plays is the game of his life''....

Offline Nutella

• Main Stander
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2016, 10:13:43 pm »
I thought he should've saved both their second and third goals personally but I was confident (don't know why?) that he'd save the penalty

Same here, I had a feeling he would save the penalty but I once again ended up disappointed with his performance overall.
Premier League

Premier League winners:Manchester City

Champions League qualification: 2nd-4th Manchester United, Arsenal, Spurs

Europa League qualification: 5th-6th Chelsea, Liverpool

Premier League relegated teams: 18th-20th West Brom, Burnley, Hull  :wave

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2016, 10:52:29 pm »
To me it was typical Mignolet. You look at the games last year where he conceded the first shot on target, I don't know if it's a concentration issue or what. We were cruising 3 up and yet again he concedes a soft goal and ruins all of our momentum. Last year it cost us wins but thankfully it didn't today.

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2016, 10:54:05 pm »
The way he charged out and punched the hell out of that one cross really took my attention. Two years ago he that was an impossibility. Great save on the penno. Thought he did a solid job today.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2016, 10:57:39 pm »
To me it was typical Mignolet. You look at the games last year where he conceded the first shot on target, I don't know if it's a concentration issue or what. We were cruising 3 up and yet again he concedes a soft goal and ruins all of our momentum. Last year it cost us wins but thankfully it didn't today.

To be fair, it took a deflection off Lovren

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2016, 11:27:09 pm »
Was a big moment for Mignolet that penalty save like the one against Stoke 3 years ago.

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2016, 11:41:10 pm »
Credit where it's due, I thought he had a great game.

The first goal was unstoppable from that distance, second took a deflection and third was too hard to predict especially with Chambers helping it along the way.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2016, 11:46:59 pm »
To be fair, it took a deflection off Lovren

Yeah I still think it was soft. Think the better keepers in the league stop that

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2016, 11:58:53 pm »
Yeah I still think it was soft. Think the better keepers in the league stop that
He had no chance from that distance.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2016, 11:59:17 pm »

It was clearly deflected past him at high speed, he'd no chance.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2016, 12:00:24 am »
Well done to him, thought that was decent performance and a brilliant block against the penalty.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2016, 12:22:42 am »
Credit where it's due, I thought he had a great game.

The first goal was unstoppable from that distance, second took a deflection and third was too hard to predict especially with Chambers helping it along the way.

Agree. That penalty save was top drawer. People will moan about the second, but a tough one, given Lovren is in front of him.

Thought Arsenal looked offside for the third, but in any case, he couldn't do anything about that.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2016, 12:29:18 am »
He had a pretty good game today. Nice penalty save and a bit more commanding in his six yard box than we saw last season, so it looks like the threat from Karius is leading to a response from Mignolet. He's in possession of the shirt and good luck to the lad.

I think at some point Karius will take over, but hopefully Mignolet will show his best form and it will spur both of them on to greater heights for the good of Liverpool Football Club.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2016, 02:22:22 am »

I'm sorry but that is actually just absurd. Nothing else to add.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2016, 06:28:49 am »

Fuckinghell,come on mate. No keeper is saving that unless they have more limbs.

Never been a big fan but couldn't really fault him yesterday. My arse went a bit when he did that Lallana turn inside the box after two minutes and was pleasantly surprised when he came out and punched the ball Into orbit too. Didn't really have an awful lot to do yesterday but was certainly not at fault for the goals. Penalty save was easy after going the right way but he obviously gets credit for going the right way.

A very good back up keeper to have and hopefully stays in good form until Karius is fit again.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2016, 07:49:51 am »
He did well yesterday. Great save from the penalty and he commanded his area a lot more than usual.

No way arsenals second was getting saved, the ball was deflected away from simon and the delivery for their third was top class

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2016, 12:03:13 pm »
He could've kept a clean sheet yesterday and there would have still been some moaning on here....
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2016, 12:11:17 pm »
I thought he did well yesterday. He couldn't really have done much about any of the goals and he had a few moments of solid goalkeeping. The competition of Karius will do him good this season.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2016, 12:22:37 pm »
Migs played a big part in taking 3pts,credit to the lad.

Migs has now saved 5/11 pens in the PL,a stat that had me scratching my head a bit.

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Chakri

• Main Stander
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2016, 03:01:02 pm »