Author Topic: Band of Brothers.  (Read 50934 times)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Re: Band of Brothers.
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2007, 09:40:13 am »
Just finished watching it.TV at its best.I had asked some friends to tell me about this series and they all told me this:Remember 'Saving private Ryan'?Take the beginning and the ending of this film and you have Band of Brothers'!.Great performances and great atmosphere.I agree that Bastogne scenes have to be the best part of the series but it's also very sad and depressing what they went through until the final attack over there.Anyway,it's easily one of the best films/TV shows ever made.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2007, 04:25:51 pm »
^ agreed, along with The Sopranos, the finest tv drama ever!
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2008, 02:59:47 pm »
Just approaching the end of the series for the third or fourth time... Utterly outstanding drama.
The match kicks off in 30 minutes ya silly twat

"This European Cup final is won, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 0."

"This scoreline is absolutely staggering, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 3!" - Five Live

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2008, 03:18:43 pm »
BEST TV MINI SERIES EVER. PERIOD ;D
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2008, 03:21:05 pm »
Schwimmers's finest performance, without doubt!

They're doing a new one, i think?

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2008, 03:21:23 pm »
Enjoyed the attention to detail particularly with regards to trying to replicate the German armour, especially the Tiger I, Jagdpanther and Stug IIIs.

As a knitpick and a smartarse, they obviously got some things wrong. There were no Tiger Is at Nuenen and no Jagdpanthers on the approaches to Carantan. At any rate, no way would Jadgpanthers in hull down positions have retreated in the face of a few Shermans. The Jadgpanther's more powerful gun and excellent frontal armour would have meant the Jagdpanthers engaging the Shermans at will and picking them off one by one with ease long before the Shermans would have been in range to worry a JP. Still as I said, in reality there were no Jagdpanthers at Carentan (17th SS only had Stug IIIs and a few Stug IVs) so a bit of Hollywood (well HBO) artistic licence going on there.

Can't fault the rest of the series though. First class.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 03:24:15 pm by Sasquatch »

Offline dcornell

• Kopite
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2008, 03:25:49 pm »
Brilliant TV drama, definitely one of the best. Favorite episode would have to be 'Bastogne'.

Offline Julio

• Legacy Fan
  • Brrrrrrr
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2008, 03:30:44 pm »
One of the best series ever

This is the long-awaited follow-up, based on the Pacific Theatre.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i91266009d4f35a6c91edce1c1949270f
apologies for the standard of the link, if anyone has any better sites, feel free!
"We do not want a single foot of foreign territory; but of our territory we shall not surrender a single inch to anyone"

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2008, 03:57:42 pm »
Cant wait for the new one, if its anything like Band of Brothers it will be staggering.
The match kicks off in 30 minutes ya silly twat

"This European Cup final is won, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 0."

"This scoreline is absolutely staggering, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 3!" - Five Live

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2008, 04:56:45 pm »
Enjoyed the attention to detail particularly with regards to trying to replicate the German armour, especially the Tiger I, Jagdpanther and Stug IIIs.

As a knitpick and a smartarse, they obviously got some things wrong. There were no Tiger Is at Nuenen and no Jagdpanthers on the approaches to Carantan. At any rate, no way would Jadgpanthers in hull down positions have retreated in the face of a few Shermans. The Jadgpanther's more powerful gun and excellent frontal armour would have meant the Jagdpanthers engaging the Shermans at will and picking them off one by one with ease long before the Shermans would have been in range to worry a JP. Still as I said, in reality there were no Jagdpanthers at Carentan (17th SS only had Stug IIIs and a few Stug IVs) so a bit of Hollywood (well HBO) artistic licence going on there.

Can't fault the rest of the series though. First class.

Excellent nit picking good Sir! It's attention to detail like this that means Mrs BDL refuses to watch war films with me anymore.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2008, 07:51:11 pm »
Excellent nit picking good Sir! It's attention to detail like this that means Mrs BDL refuses to watch war films with me anymore.

Awwwwww no, don't tell me you do all that with your woman??? Behave there BDL.

Actually, sod that. I'm the same too. ;D :wave

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2008, 07:56:03 pm »
Awwwwww no, don't tell me you do all that with your woman??? Behave there BDL.

I do sadly. The Tiger tank in Saving Private Ryan angers me. Don't even get me started on the Battle of the Bulge.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2008, 08:25:07 pm »
I do sadly. The Tiger tank in Saving Private Ryan angers me.

LOL, the obvious T34 tracks and the non existant bullet proof glass in front of the driver's visor that the U.S troops just shoot through??

Not to mention that their 'Tiger' is supposed to be a mid production Tiger but it shows early production features such as the initial commander's dustbin like cuppola and the Feifel air pre cleaners and pipes? None of which were ever on any Tigers in Normandy as they were all mid and late production Tigers there. Oh sorry, there I go again. Ooooops.

Don't even get me started on the Battle of the Bulge.

Oh geez. American Patton tanks pretending to be King Tigers and in a god awful light grey colour and not the typical three tone German camouflage colours???? Then we had the obvious Spanish landscape masquerading as the Ardennes forest.

Still, I liked Robert Shaw and the Panzerlied song though hehe.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 08:27:20 pm by Sasquatch »

Online Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2008, 08:34:04 pm »
Brilliant programme, possibly the best thing on TV ever
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2008, 08:37:42 pm »
LOL, the obvious T34 tracks and the non existant bullet proof glass in front of the driver's visor that the U.S troops just shoot through??

Not to mention that their 'Tiger' is supposed to be a mid production Tiger but it shows early production features such as the initial commander's dustbin like cuppola and the Feifel air pre cleaners and pipes? None of which were ever on any Tigers in Normandy as they were all mid and late production Tigers there. Oh sorry, there I go again. Ooooops.

Oh geez. American Patton tanks pretending to be King Tigers and in a god awful light grey colour and not the typical three tone German camouflage colours???? Then we had the obvious Spanish landscape masquerading as the Ardennes forest.

Exactly. Almost as bad as the exploding cannon balls in 'Sharpe', 'Waterloo' and other Napoleaonic films.

Still, I liked Robert Shaw and the Panzerlied song though hehe.

Agreed.

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2008, 09:23:06 pm »
I am soooo fucking excited ! can't wait for 'pacific'!.

Offline dfdave12

• Kopite
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2008, 02:24:41 am »
I am soooo fucking excited ! can't wait for 'pacific'!.

Same here. It's going to be class.

Offline HoustonAttorney

• Main Stander
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2008, 04:36:26 am »
"Bastogne" and "Why We Fight" (the concentration camp episode) were perhaps two of the most moving hours of TV I have ever experienced.  By far, my favourite television series that I own on DVD. 
Per mare per terras

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2008, 10:48:33 pm »
I realise I'm a few years late with this but I just want to say how completely fucking ace Band of Brothers is. I've been watching it on a Saturday night on National Geographic and I can't remember the last time a TV programme had me wishing my life away this much. I can't wait until next weekend. Awesome show.

Offline Derry-Red

• RAWK Technology Consultant.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2008, 10:57:08 pm »
I got the box set a few years ago and I must have watched it about 6 times already. Never gets boring. Amazing show.One of the best war dramas ever imo.
I'd rather endure a night of sheep sex than have that clueless twat run our club into the ground any longer. You hear that NESV? I'd rather have sheep sex.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2008, 11:01:28 pm »
I got the box set a few years ago and I must have watched it about 6 times already. Never gets boring. Amazing show.One of the best war dramas ever imo.
I think I might have to buy one myself.

Offline Derry-Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2008, 11:09:08 pm »
I'd rather endure a night of sheep sex than have that clueless twat run our club into the ground any longer. You hear that NESV? I'd rather have sheep sex.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Derry-Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2008, 12:52:54 am »

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2008, 12:39:50 pm »
Best TV series I've ever seen
@_michaelgill

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2008, 06:53:41 pm »
Not sure if anyone has seen this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_%28miniseries%29

Can't wait for this.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2008, 10:53:45 pm »

Can't wait for this.

been looking out for this since i first saw it announced a couple of years. promises to be really interesting, i've got to admit i know little to nothing of the eastern fighting in ww2 and this will no doubt cover it in untold depth

Offline Texas Reds Fan

• The first to learn about Project: Rename LFC
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is emptiness, emptiness is form
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2008, 11:27:20 pm »
My favorite character in the series was that doctor.. think he was the main character in the Bastogne episode.

Can't wait for this.

Hadn't seen it, thanks for the link. Much as I hate to, I may have to renew HBO for a few months while that's on.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2008, 05:42:31 pm »
My favorite character in the series was that doctor.. think he was the main character in the Bastogne episode.

Hadn't seen it, thanks for the link. Much as I hate to, I may have to renew HBO for a few months while that's on.

<cough> bit torrent <cough>
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2008, 06:01:29 pm »
Bit torrent and HDDVD version is where the action is.

Offline JohnnyDrama

• hey new members to RAWK: He's a really really annoying feedback tourist and thick. If you dont believe me, he even admitted it himself. Post-match angler
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #110 on: June 1, 2008, 03:43:27 pm »
best tv series ever imo.
Greatest Band in the world.

www.myspace.com/brandnew

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #111 on: June 1, 2008, 04:00:55 pm »
Only got the box set few weeks ago off hmv and I absolutly loved it. Could watch it all again and again.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #112 on: June 1, 2008, 04:31:25 pm »
"Bastogne" and "Why We Fight" (the concentration camp episode) were perhaps two of the most moving hours of TV I have ever experienced.  By far, my favourite television series that I own on DVD. 

The Why We Fight ep had me in tears the whole way through, I don“t remember ever feeling so emotionally involved with a character as I was with the poor fellar who got the job of telling everyone to go back into the camp.

The genius of this series for me is that it brought a much more, how should I put it, realistic feel for what was without a doubt a terrible terrible war, but a) being icelandic and b) only in my mid thirties this war as such was always a bit more "academic" but seeing this series and the interview with E Company afterwards somehow made this all more real and it certainly put into context all the books and reading material i“ve devoured over the years on the subject.

Perhaps the most telling part of it is that it never becomes tedious or cringe worthy with "heroism" being showed down your throat, it rather allows the viewer to discover the heroism for themselves and for me that meant far more respect for the men and their deeds.

I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

royhendo

« Reply #113 on: June 1, 2008, 08:57:09 pm »
best series ever - i totally agree.

i was in a BMI airport lounge three years ago and Damien Lewis was sat a few seats away from me. i was totally starstruck and bottled speaking to the fella but looking back i wish i'd gone over and thanked him personally because my old boy was a big fan of the book and loved the character of Winters, and I felt he did true justice to an incredible character and hero.

I've read a few interviews with Damien Lewis since and he seems the sort of bloke who'd have sat and had a pint with you aswell - airport lounges are boring as.

the whole series gets me. the only bits that aren't perfect for me are casting ross out of friends as Sobel, the boy out of Hustle's performance in Carentan (thought it wasn't up to scratch), and a few eggy moments with Liebgott... but that's as picky as f_ck and it's easily the best thing ever on tv.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #114 on: June 1, 2008, 09:10:34 pm »
I'm a huge fan of just about anything that comes out of HBO so I bought this last Christmas (a huge tin jobbie) and I'm just starting to watch the first couple of episodes now.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #115 on: June 1, 2008, 10:26:57 pm »
The one where they find the concentration camp I think is even more hard hitting than the whole of Schindler's List, and I think that movie is brilliant.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #116 on: June 2, 2008, 08:47:47 am »
The one where they find the concentration camp I think is even more hard hitting than the whole of Schindler's List, and I think that movie is brilliant.

The episode is called Why we fight.
I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #117 on: June 2, 2008, 11:23:27 am »
The best war series ever made in my opinion. Have the series on DVD, one of the very few collections that can be watched over and over. Day Of Days and The Breaking Point would have to be the two episodes I enjoy the most.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #118 on: June 2, 2008, 11:32:55 am »

My Grandad was one of the first into Belsen and he said that any doubt, guilt or concerns about the Germans he'd killed from D-Day onwards just evaporated the instant he rode through the gates of the camp.

This is an incredible series and one that should be shown alot more, an incredible cast of young British and American actors.
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline tezmac

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #119 on: June 2, 2008, 01:39:26 pm »
Fantastic series
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king