Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 304418 times)

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #5520 on: January 20, 2024, 11:14:00 pm »
Amazing performance so far, just one bogey all week, even more impressive on three different courses, so 18 new holes each day. Hopefully the pressure doesn't get to him tomorrow, but he has a solid lead as it stands.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #5521 on: January 21, 2024, 12:43:28 pm »
Looks like a victory for McIlroy, he kept opening the door for others to catch him but no one wanted to walk through it. Cam Young especially, he's a fucking remarkable ball-striker but he isn't a closer and his putting is woeful when the pressure is on.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5522 on: January 21, 2024, 01:23:32 pm »
Be churlish not to say well done to Rory for closing out this week after I said he choked last week.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #5523 on: January 22, 2024, 12:16:01 am »
Dunlap wins - 1st amateur since 1991, a certain lefty. Amazing performance.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #5524 on: January 25, 2024, 04:53:11 pm »
Nick Dunlap announces he's turning Pro to take advantage of having a two year exemption.

First tournament will be the AT&T Pebble Beach.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5525 on: January 25, 2024, 09:28:49 pm »
Looking forward to following him. First Amateur to win a PGA event since Mickelson in '91 and the first player since Tiger to win the US Junior and US Amateur.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #5526 on: January 26, 2024, 09:39:08 am »
went from about 4000th to 68th in the world rankings
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #5527 on: January 29, 2024, 12:46:14 pm »
Tyrrell Hatton to LIV now. $60 million deal.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #5528 on: January 29, 2024, 09:38:52 pm »
Tyrrell Hatton to LIV now. $60 million deal.

Yeah something has to give soon. Rory rapidly backtracking on his hatred of LIV. Will be an amalgamation at some point but please get tae fuck with that shite team format. Who wants to see that?

Offline Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #5529 on: January 29, 2024, 09:42:25 pm »
Yeah something has to give soon. Rory rapidly backtracking on his hatred of LIV. Will be an amalgamation at some point but please get tae fuck with that shite team format. Who wants to see that?

It just isn't a very good product. 3 days, shotgun starts, all the team shite. It just doesn't interest me and going by public opinion and viewing figures etc it doesn't interest many people.

They made Rahm an offer he couldn't refuse and they must have laid out several billion dollars in getting players over to them by now. If they try and incorporate a team format into any established or decent events then I just wont watch at all, I'll stick to the majors and that's that.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5530 on: January 30, 2024, 09:49:32 am »
It just isn't a very good product. 3 days, shotgun starts, all the team shite. It just doesn't interest me and going by public opinion and viewing figures etc it doesn't interest many people.

They made Rahm an offer he couldn't refuse and they must have laid out several billion dollars in getting players over to them by now. If they try and incorporate a team format into any established or decent events then I just wont watch at all, I'll stick to the majors and that's that.

The LIV tour doesn't interest me in the slightest, it has nothing to do with sport, just out & out pure sportswashing.
#Sausages

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5531 on: January 31, 2024, 04:28:07 pm »
@pitch_magazine_

The PGA Tour is to confirm that it has approved a deal for a group of investors led by Liverpool FC and Red Sox owner John Henry to invest in the US golf organisation’s new commercial entity. Strategic Sports Group is set to inject about $3bn in the tour’s commercial business

@JoePompliano
The PGA Tour has finalized an agreement with Strategic Sports Group, injecting about $3 billion of cash into a new for-profit entity.

Investors include:
• Tom Werner & John Henry (Boston Red Sox)
• Mark Attanasio (Milwaukee Brewers)
• Arthur Blank (Atlanta Falcons)
• Wyc Grousbeck (Boston Celtics)
• Steve Cohen (New York Mets)
• Tom Ricketts (Chicago Cubs)

The PGA Tour will be the majority shareholder.

The new entity is expected to be valued at $12 billion, and current PGA Tour players will get equity.

Importantly, this deal does not include Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, although the PGA Tour is still negotiating with them on a potential partnership.

PGA TOUR Commissioner Jay Monahan (left) and John W. Henry, Principal Owner of Fenway Sports Group and Manager of the Strategic Sports Group, finalize the launch of PGA TOUR Enterprises.

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5532 on: January 31, 2024, 05:43:17 pm »
Fuck off, McIlroy, with your weasel words

And I hope every c*nt signed for the evil sportwashing shite that is LIV gets struck by lightning. All at the same time.

Every one of them is rubber-stamping that it's OK to deny human rights and basic personal freedoms to millions; to execute people for their sexuality; to murder journalists who criticise them; to murder thousands of innocent women and children in a neighbouring country after involving itself in a civil war; to fund nutcase terrorist groups.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5533 on: January 31, 2024, 06:00:27 pm »
Where’s the new putter money, John!

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5534 on: February 5, 2024, 04:51:38 pm »
I see the 4th round Pebble Beach Pro Am has been cancelled due to the wild storms in California, the result stands after 54 holes
#Sausages

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #5535 on: February 5, 2024, 05:09:00 pm »
I see the 4th round Pebble Beach Pro Am has been cancelled due to the wild storms in California, the result stands after 54 holes

It’s a fantastic course, but seen some horror videos of people who’ve paid $800 to play and its ridiculous winds, would be gutted paying it and it showing up like that.

Clark had a great 3rd round of 60 to eventually secure the win so fair play.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5536 on: February 6, 2024, 08:34:51 am »
It’s a fantastic course, but seen some horror videos of people who’ve paid $800 to play and its ridiculous winds, would be gutted paying it and it showing up like that.

Clark had a great 3rd round of 60 to eventually secure the win so fair play.
I know what you mean being gutted if you paid to play in that

My Mrs offered to buy me a round in Royal Portrush for my 40th, would have been 200-250 quid. I actually said no, I would just feel way out of my depth, and if it was breezy I would be lucky to break 120

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5537 on: February 6, 2024, 09:29:17 am »
I know what you mean being gutted if you paid to play in that

My Mrs offered to buy me a round in Royal Portrush for my 40th, would have been 200-250 quid. I actually said no, I would just feel way out of my depth, and if it was breezy I would be lucky to break 120

I played there once, in October! Pretty wet and windy. I play about twice a year and even at my ‘best’ I’d be about a 20 handicapper, and obviously when not playing much can be worse than that. Think I hit the first couple of fairways and that was about it!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5538 on: February 6, 2024, 10:09:59 am »
I played there once, in October! Pretty wet and windy. I play about twice a year and even at my ‘best’ I’d be about a 20 handicapper, and obviously when not playing much can be worse than that. Think I hit the first couple of fairways and that was about it!
the par 3 16th, I would probably get a 3 or a 12 at that, no in between

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #5539 on: February 15, 2024, 07:57:59 pm »
Tiger Woods first 9 holes... 3 birdies, 3 bogies, level par.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5540 on: March 6, 2024, 06:31:55 am »
Should have thought about that.
LIV Golf admits defeat in bid to receive world ranking points for players
> Talks between LIV and Official World Golf Ranking break down
> Greg Norman questions ‘integrity of the OWGR rankings’

LIV Golf has admitted defeat in its bid to receive world ranking recognition after Greg Norman informed players of the end of a process that had lasted almost two years.

LIV has been in talks with the Official World Golf Ranking since the summer of 2022, when big name players started to be coaxed to the Saudi Arabian-backed circuit from the PGA and DP World Tours. The OWGR – which has the four major championships on its board – consistently argued LIV’s format did not meet criteria to be awarded points. LIV tournaments are of 54 holes, with no cuts and involving many players who have effectively been bought by the tour rather than having qualified for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/mar/05/liv-golf-admit-defeat-in-bid-to-receive-world-ranking-points-for-players
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5541 on: March 6, 2024, 06:53:31 pm »
If the PGA tour want to survive at all then they needed the backing of the OWGR as soon enough some of the top LIV players will lose their exemption / ranking that allows them to play in the majors. About the only way the tour can play hard ball as they can't financially compete n in the current format i can see the tour getting themselves in a hole as they can't keep offering silly prize money. The golden egg is the majors as for the top golfers it's priceless.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5542 on: March 12, 2024, 05:29:32 am »
The Players this week! Scheffler took Rory's advice and had a go with a mallet putter last week and ended up with a 5 shot victory. If he can putt at the level of an average tour pro, the guy is basically unstoppable. It's been a bit of a flow start to the season with a lot of the big names struggling so hopefully we'll see some good golf this weekend and then start counting down to the masters. 

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #5543 on: March 12, 2024, 09:27:08 am »
The Players this week! Scheffler took Rory's advice and had a go with a mallet putter last week and ended up with a 5 shot victory. If he can putt at the level of an average tour pro, the guy is basically unstoppable. It's been a bit of a flow start to the season with a lot of the big names struggling so hopefully we'll see some good golf this weekend and then start counting down to the masters. 

That performance has been coming, just needed the putting to be there. As you say, if he putts even field average he's going to be hard to beat as Tee to Green he's far and away the best player on tour.

Love the Players, hoping for an exciting Sunday and that it's close. Minwoo Lee is my outside bet for the week.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5544 on: March 12, 2024, 09:40:47 am »
Ludvig Aberg's progress over the last year is unreal

He turned pro about a year ago, was just inside the top 2000 in the world, even just before the Ryder Cup he was around 250th, he is now 10th

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5545 on: March 12, 2024, 05:44:06 pm »
Lowry is also playing some great golf, it's a massive ask for him to win it but you'd fancy him to be thereabouts. Very hard to see past Scheffler though!

Anyone watched the new series of the netflix doc? Thought it was a good watch again. Pretty much everyone comes across well although it was a pretty awful look to see Zach Johnson rooming with Speith, Thomas and Fowler at the open on the eve of the captain's picks.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #5546 on: March 17, 2024, 09:47:38 pm »
What a fantastic finish going on. Scottie played unbelievable golf to be leading, but Xander and Clark both looking good to take to a playoff or win outright.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5547 on: March 17, 2024, 10:08:36 pm »
Jesus, Clarke was unlucky with that last putt.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #5548 on: March 17, 2024, 10:14:03 pm »
Jesus, Clarke was unlucky with that last putt.

Unbelievable finish with that putting just missing. Not particularly gutted after Clark’s comments recently to see him miss, but great showing. The rest of the tour must hate Rory for suggesting Scottie should use a mallet. He’s historically good tee to green and if putts like this, hardly anyone beats him.

Great tournament overall, gearing up well for Augusta.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5549 on: March 18, 2024, 03:02:42 pm »
Think Scheffler may well be the best we've seen since Tiger. "Only" one major thus far but his consistency is scary good. If he keeps the putter going I'd bank on him winning a couple more majors this year alone.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5550 on: March 18, 2024, 05:47:41 pm »
Yeah, I think Scheffler may be a generational talent. His ball-striking is second only to Tiger in the last 20 or so years and if he can just be an average putter (like he was this week), he's got a good shot to have 5+ majors to his name over the next 3-5 years. If he ever becomes a good or great putter, it's over for the rest of the Tour.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 05:50:41 pm by Lone Star Red »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5551 on: March 19, 2024, 08:05:47 am »
into 4/1 for the masters

favorite, not hard to see why.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #5552 on: March 24, 2024, 09:38:29 pm »
If Cam Young doesn’t have a psychologist/performance coach, he really needs one. Guy clearly has good golf game, but continually falls apart under pressure. 7th 2nd place finish already in his young career.

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #5553 on: April 5, 2024, 01:48:48 pm »
Bumped in anticipation of masters week.  Pretty cool that we get to see the women play Augusta National on Saturday.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5554 on: April 8, 2024, 05:20:20 pm »
Masters week is here! Who is everyone betting on (except Scottie Scheffler ;D )

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #5555 on: April 8, 2024, 06:39:45 pm »
Favourite week in golf by far. In other news, Nelly Korda just gone 4x wins on the run, dominating the LPGA.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5556 on: April 8, 2024, 09:43:13 pm »
Favourite week in golf by far. In other news, Nelly Korda just gone 4x wins on the run, dominating the LPGA.
It's incredible what she's doing at the moment. And as close to a perfect swing as you can get.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5557 on: April 9, 2024, 09:58:41 am »
Masters week is here! Who is everyone betting on (except Scottie Scheffler ;D )
from a while back, Lowry and Zalatoris, not looking so good now though.

Had a free fiver in my account this week so 2.50 ew on Aberg

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5558 on: April 10, 2024, 08:08:14 am »

Think both of those have a decent shout at a top ten finish! Aberg will be one to watch, too.

Scheffler and McIlroy out together tomorrow, with Schauffele making up the grouping. I've played in worse 3 balls than that.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #5559 on: April 10, 2024, 08:24:31 am »

I have also put a few quid e/w on him.

Max Homa is decent odds so I have a few quid on him and then a selection of others.

Cannot wait. My favourite sport viewing weekend with the footy and masters. Mrs is working this weekend as well.......nice.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019