Author Topic: The 25th of May, Happy Istanbul Day and Rome day.  (Read 53764 times)

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
Re: The 25th of May, Happy Istanbul Day and Rome day.
« Reply #280 on: May 26, 2017, 02:30:36 am »
Greatest match I have ever seen is still that night in Istanbul
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: May 26, 2017, 04:05:46 am »
One of the happiest days in my life

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #282 on: May 26, 2017, 07:48:32 am »
Yet we still don't know the answers to the first 2 questions in my sig.  :D

I have no definitive proof but I think he scored the rebound. The ambulance I couldn't tell you.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline sully0182

• Kemlynite
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #283 on: May 26, 2017, 02:26:22 pm »
Watching the videos on youtube yesterday, brilliant stuff - "hello, hello, here we go..."

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: May 26, 2017, 02:39:04 pm »
Mostar posted a brilliant vid of it on Twitter

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #285 on: May 26, 2017, 02:43:37 pm »
One of the happiest days in my life

Absolutely! Same here. What a night.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #286 on: May 26, 2017, 03:44:54 pm »
I hope Kevin Keegan had a glass of something nice yesterday. Great footballer, a Liverpool legend, and by all accounts a lovely man.

"All the Kopites will be singing/Vatican bells will be ringing..."
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #287 on: May 26, 2017, 04:45:47 pm »
Mostar posted a brilliant vid of it on Twitter

Nice one mate - quality stuff from Mostar as usual - https://twitter.com/LFCMostar/status/867699027206258688

SH's '6 minutes of madness' is decent too (no commentary - just the crowd noise) - https://twitter.com/Sennesation/status/867702121034129408

quality pic, from https://twitter.com/kopitesforlife/status/657244251315507200

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #288 on: May 26, 2017, 05:03:26 pm »
Always remember being up a on bar stool celebrating and taking a step to what I thought was another stool...must have been seeing double. Was about to take a tumble when out if the crowd stepped forward a bloke in a Liverpool goalie jersey who caught me (and promptly bounced me twice before me punting me out of the door etc etc). The spirit of Jerzy!

What a night!  Haven't actually stopped to think about it in detail for a while.  Often think back to it in terms of a quick soundbite or a fleeting memory of happiness but not often do I consider the absolute roller-coaster of emotions.

The journey to get there was one thing. What an adventure that all was just to make the final. As the game drew closer excitement turned to nerves and a bit of trepidation when you analysed how obscenely strong their line up looked on paper. No weak links at all, just legends of the game running right through their team.

That trepidation was then pushed to one side in the hour or so before kick off as the pints washed down and the atmosphere built (wasn't there by the way, just in the pub we were in!). Excitement reached fever pitch as we kinked off, one nervous clearance from Djimi,  followed by the foul he gave away. Deal with this free kick and then calm down and get a foothold in the game and... Oh fuck one down. That first half we huffed and puffed but you could see the gap in class. We could have had a penalty (never really saw a decent replay of that) and in an instant we were two down. Atmosphere went flat and before you could dwell on it it was three. Game well and truly over etc etc.

Half time was weird. A combination of feeling sorry for ourselves, a feeling of pride we had got so far,mixed with disappointment with how it had turned out. Found myself asking the rhetorical question of would a plucky semi final defeat have been better than having our pants pulled down on the global stage. At the same time there was the odd bravado thrown in, "Remember Basel etc etc".

We all know what came next,  I won't go into that. But that's the first times quite a while I've thought back to how crazy that night was. Good times!

Apologies for the inevitable errors, just typed all that on my phone!

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: May 26, 2017, 06:01:06 pm »
We don't do things simple do we, especially in finals : Champions League, Europa or FA Cup? I teared up going through those clips. What a roller coaster it has been following and supporting this team through my life. Bless you. YNWA

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: May 27, 2017, 02:47:01 pm »
I hope Kevin Keegan had a glass of something nice yesterday. Great footballer, a Liverpool legend, and by all accounts a lovely man.

"All the Kopites will be singing/Vatican bells will be ringing..."

Keegan was the catalyst for Shanks early 70s team that in turn was finessed so well by Bob, culminating in that historic night in Rome

He's routinely overlooked or dismissed when Reds start talking about the great players who have played for us and that's a great shame. He was a little diamond for us and is rightly a Liverpool legend, regardless of how things soured a bit when he announced he was leaving.

And he loved Shanks of course.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #291 on: May 27, 2017, 06:37:24 pm »
Ah, King Kevin, what a player ... that partnership with Big John Toshack though  :)

I got both their autographs on a programme after running on the pitch after they destroyed West Ham at Upton Park.

As for Rome I'll never forget the heat, cracking the flags it was. I met two great lads on that mad train journey, Kenny Mawson and Alan Lancaster, still remember them well - one of them had a camera, but we lost touch and I've never seen those snaps!

We had in our party us three, a young couple and two young Scotty Road scallies who had bunked the entire journey. None of us had met before, we just ganged up at Victoria. We hid those lads in the racks every time a guard came down the corridors. These lads paid us back by thieving for Britain. The basket sellers and stalls on the station platforms didn't know what had hit them.

The match is a bit of a blur now, mainly because I was pissed as a handcart on Chianti, and we'd just had the maddest day in and out of fountains and confusing Italian folk by shouting 'Liverpool sono magico' which we thought was Italian for 'Liverpool are magic', one of our songs of the moment.

Only regret about the whole thing was missing the Homecoming and Tommy Smith's Testimonial, but them were the breaks in those days  :P

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: May 27, 2017, 08:25:59 pm »
Nice one mate - quality stuff from Mostar as usual - https://twitter.com/LFCMostar/status/867699027206258688

SH's '6 minutes of madness' is decent too (no commentary - just the crowd noise) - https://twitter.com/Sennesation/status/867702121034129408

quality pic, from https://twitter.com/kopitesforlife/status/657244251315507200

Thank you for posting those oojason. I've felt like shit recently and you have just cheered me up. Thanks.

That Istanbul one is special. They hardly touched the ball. Didn't have a chance.
For some reason I have never appreciated how good Gerrards header is as well.
Our boys singing and cheering is bloody beautiful.
Imagine if we weren't Liverpool supporters, what a waste that would be.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #293 on: May 28, 2017, 03:30:27 pm »
Thank you for posting those oojason. I've felt like shit recently and you have just cheered me up. Thanks.

That Istanbul one is special. They hardly touched the ball. Didn't have a chance.
For some reason I have never appreciated how good Gerrards header is as well.
Our boys singing and cheering is bloody beautiful.
Imagine if we weren't Liverpool supporters, what a waste that would be.

Nice one mate - love that last line you posted there too :)

This video is decent too - I think it's the half-time YNWA (with scenes from throughout the 2nd half comeback) - still a top video, either way:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCJ5uBA3DU4

^ there's some more of his great stuff here - http://propaganda.photoshelter.com/gallery/050525-UEFA-Champions-League-Final-2005/G000048VLJRNN72U/C00000zsRCCb0gf0

and http://propaganda.photoshelter.com/gallery/050526-Liverpool-Euro-Cup-Parade/G0000the0pntSh.M/C00000zsRCCb0gf0
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #294 on: May 29, 2017, 09:37:43 am »
been away, so not had chance to see the thread, 25-5-2005 what a night that was, was priveleged to have been there, could write a book on my experience that day.  Anyway can't believe it was 12 years ago, almost a generation has passed, the sounds , smell and sights of Istanbul seems like yesterday.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #295 on: May 29, 2017, 10:13:47 am »
Some awesome clips there.. anyone still got a link to the Spanish commentary?

I remember the guy sounded like he was going to die with excitement.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: May 29, 2017, 11:24:02 am »
Been lucky enough to return to Istanbul for 4/5 games we've played there since 05,always had a good welcome & a brilliant time...
1st time we went back there, people in shop doorways,bars etc whistling Ring Of Fire...

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #297 on: May 29, 2017, 01:00:42 pm »
The red and white scarf I had tied around my wrist when I was sat on the settee alongside my brother Mal back in 1977 was tied around my wrist when I stood next to him in the Ataturk stadium 28 years later.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #298 on: May 29, 2017, 07:52:47 pm »
The red and white scarf I had tied around my wrist when I was sat on the settee alongside my brother Mal back in 1977 was tied around my wrist when I stood next to him in the Ataturk stadium 28 years later.
MIchael , that is what supporting this great club is all about. Connections as deep as the red sea.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: May 29, 2017, 10:06:12 pm »
I remember being a skinny seven year old and running into the street with all the neighbours kids when we scored , jumping up and down and then running back in to watch the rest of the game. I wasn't skinny by the time Istanbul came around.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #300 on: May 25, 2019, 11:21:46 am »

14 years to the day (or the early hours of the 26th May if you were there at the ground ;))...

'The Miracle of Istanbul | Liverpool vs AC Milan Champions League final highlights':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PWErN627Il8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PWErN627Il8</a>

^ 22 minute highlights from BT Sport - click on the settings icon to change quality to HD

'MILAN 3-3p LIVERPOOL: #UCL 2005 FINAL FLASHBACK' (13 minute video from UEFA.tv):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3OQToElxke4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3OQToElxke4</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OQToElxke4

'Liverpool FC 2005 'In My Life' Istanbul':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3IzvI3LPUzU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3IzvI3LPUzU</a>

^ or low quality version here - www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDLSu8VZ8G8

^ or similar video (with the same song) from a promo video night before - www.dailymotion.com/video/x2syjr

'Istanbul 2005 - Best week of my life':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1Oms8h172Bc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1Oms8h172Bc</a>

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:49:40 pm by oojason »

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: May 25, 2019, 11:26:52 am »
Fourteen years, bloody hell.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #302 on: May 25, 2019, 11:38:08 am »
I was 14 at the time :-\

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #303 on: May 25, 2019, 11:39:42 am »
Jack has just watched it on that BT thing. He's gobsmacked we beat that Milan team as almost all are Icons on his footie game he plays.

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #304 on: May 25, 2019, 11:44:58 am »
A truly remarkable game of football.

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #305 on: May 25, 2019, 12:27:24 pm »
For the oldies [cough]...

'1976-1977 European Cup: Liverpool FC All Goals (Road to Victory)' - with a great tune:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uhmuXwSQqEw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uhmuXwSQqEw</a>

'EUROPEAN CUP FINAL - LIVERPOOL V BORUSSIA MUNCHENGLADBACH - SOUND - COLOUR' - by BritishMovieTone (like those old BBC News programs of the 50's):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NL3-DOQOAN0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NL3-DOQOAN0</a>

'ROME '77: Liverpool 3-1 Mönchengladbach | HIGHLIGHTS' (a 4 minute video from LFC):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5nRXzXbth9A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5nRXzXbth9A</a>

^ or https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1528811751785086976

'European Cup 1976-77 FINAL: Liverpool x Borussia Mönchengladbach':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZfUr41g1Ers" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZfUr41g1Ers</a>

^ not the best quality picture...

'The Story of Liverpool's First European Cup | Rome 1977' - by The RedMen TV:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_fAXR2IVTEE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_fAXR2IVTEE</a>

RAWK 'All European Cup Final victories content' audio / video post : www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.msg17178860#msg17178860

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 07:38:42 pm by oojason »

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #306 on: May 25, 2019, 12:58:41 pm »
Istanbul what a game what a comeback. Cannot believe it has been 14 years. how time goes by. happy Istanbul and Rome day my fellow reds. Lets hope we can add to our amazing history in 7 days time to bring number 6 home. 

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #307 on: May 25, 2019, 01:00:12 pm »
Oh we're on our way to Romaaaa
On the 25th of May...
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: May 25, 2019, 01:04:15 pm »
Remember it like it was yesterday, will never forget it

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #309 on: May 25, 2019, 01:07:09 pm »
That Milan team was outrageous

Pretty much wall to wall greats, even on the bench.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #310 on: May 25, 2019, 02:08:05 pm »
They all look so young.

Such an incredible night. I was in my 1st year at uni and managed to watch it at the Students Union.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: May 25, 2019, 02:09:39 pm »
That Milan team was outrageous

Pretty much wall to wall greats, even on the bench.

Only thing it lacked was a top class keeper thankfully.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: May 25, 2019, 02:54:46 pm »
Outside of the birthdays of my immediate family, the 25th of May 2005 is THE date I remember over all others.

Happy Istanbul Day everyone!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #313 on: May 25, 2019, 03:40:45 pm »
Oh we're on our way to Romaaaa
On the 25th of May...

At 15.40 42 years ago we were in a bar in the Via del Babuino working our way slowly to the Olympic stadium.

Ridiculously it only seems like yesterday.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #314 on: May 25, 2019, 03:54:10 pm »
Both Rome and Istanbul were amazing groundbreaking nights. I'll never forget either for the rest of my life.

Just watched a few YouTubes of Istanbul and it seems like something flew into my eye, must be that's why they're watering so badly.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #315 on: May 25, 2019, 04:24:35 pm »
Fuck can’t believe I was 14 years already , feels like 5

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #316 on: May 25, 2019, 07:49:55 pm »
What a night! Given Rome 77 as well it must be the best date in our history.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #317 on: May 25, 2019, 08:01:22 pm »
14 years... Fucking hell. I was a young man of 25 back then. Now, I'm rapidly approaching my 40th but birthday...

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: May 25, 2019, 08:35:08 pm »
At Istanbul everyone was talking about how it had been 21 years since we last lifted Ol' Big Ears.  And now it's 14 years since Istanbul. :o

2005 was a dream come true.  And the five finals (inc the Europa) we've been to over that period prove we belong here.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #319 on: May 25, 2019, 08:40:26 pm »
I remember being a skinny seven year old and running into the street with all the neighbours kids when we scored , jumping up and down and then running back in to watch the rest of the game. I wasn't skinny by the time Istanbul came around.

Ha! Nice one. Bout the same for me!
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.