Author Topic: Hicks - Texas Rangers Sold...  (Read 179337 times)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hicks $570million richer
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2010, 08:11:19 am »
So basically Hicks have sold his share to clear his debt at Texas Rangers?

At least I think it's good news, it's one thing less to think about for Hicks.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2010, 08:21:15 am »
So basically Hicks have sold his share to clear his debt at Texas Rangers?

At least I think it's good news, it's one thing less to think about for Hicks.
Seems the yanks are getting themselves in a better financial state ... so they can borrow for our new stadium ...

Offline Yakyb

• Kopite
  • Wirralien Born and Bred
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2010, 08:36:15 am »
Just been on the Texas Rangers Forum

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-rangers&tid=21978

Quote from: some American Bloke
Over on Lone Star Ball, Adam Morris has a poll up asking "Are you disappointed Tom Hicks will no longer own the Rangers?"

The votes, so far, are:

32 - Yes

787 - No

Offline Redguard

• Main Stander
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2010, 08:36:41 am »
For a start I don't think anyone is suggesting that they will pay off the debt, that is not the way that they operate.  However it appears that the banks have already forced them to reduce the debt burden once, they may well have another deadline to meet as regards further debt reduction. 

Similarly I don't think that anyone is suggesting that he will pay Gillett's share. Of course not.  However, having already sold the Canadiens I think the perception amongst most people was that Gillett was in a much stronger financial position than Hicks, with HSG defaulting on loans and not paying creditors or players.  This deal eases his financial position considerably (or it will when it goes through). 

Now that doesn't mean that they will spend the money raised on LFC, of course not, but it does make it highly unlikely that the two are going to default on the loan in the near future, so that avenue of getting rid of them seems to have receded somewhat. It also increases their chances of getting a third investor involved and of being able to borrow funds for the new stadium should they choose to do so.

Or maybe not..............

Investors should know by now what G&H's gameplan is, (I'm even starting to sound American, LOL).

They have a history of pushing the boundaries on debt repayment. There is the Corinthians skeleton which no cupboard can conceal. This is all theory and speculation on my part, but I'd say that any possible investor (like two bins) will not only be requiring G&H to lower the debt considerably, but they'll want every possible avenue covered - just in case G&H do default and it all goes pear shaped. Naming rights & new stadium will all be geared to time frames. Any possible investors may insist on exacting restraints so as to protect not only the investment, but their 'image' as a result of controversial / adverse circumstances developments that may well be forthcoming from these two.

In other words, G&H operate a sharp practice which is designed to look after themselves. If G&H don't commit personally with their own finances then, (as now) they only leave other investors at risk. Imo the chance of a third investor is now considerably diminished.

I could be wrong though.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:38:20 am by Redguard »
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2010, 08:58:39 am »
Surely the bank will want them to now reduce the debt on the club or is that already in place to be paid  ..

Offline Babel Time

• "Gezza job!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2010, 09:01:01 am »
One thing that I find interesting about this story, is that the Holding company ended up with the debt, rather than the new equity holders. SO am I safe to assume the same thing will happen if/when they sell up at liverpool, ie they sell equity and pay off the holding compamies debt  with the proceeds of the sale and pocket the difference, rather than the new equity holders being stuck with the debt?
Babel Time (n) Difference in time between supporters calling for player to come from the bench in a bid to change the game, and the time it takes the supporters to round on said substitute after he's come on and proved ineffectual. ...

Offline nm83

• Kopite
  • Minister of Sarcasm
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2010, 11:29:25 am »
imho it's going to pay off other debts and we aren't going to see any benefit.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:03:23 pm by nm83 »
YNWA

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2010, 12:22:23 pm »
imho it's going to pay off other debts and we aren't going to see any benefit.
Hopefully with his other debts paid down he is less of a risk and the banks will consider a stadium loan. 
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2010, 01:32:31 pm »
Defaulted Hicks To Sell Baseball Team
January 25, 2010
Private equity veteran Tom Hicks has finally struck a deal to sell the Texas Rangers baseball team, more than nine months after his sports holding company defaulted on more than $500 million in loans.

The Hicks Sports Group officially announced the sale, which has been months in the making, on Saturday night. No final sale price was set, but the Rangers, who play outside of Dallas, are expected to fetch more than $500 million.

The new owners of the team are led by Chuck Greenberg, a Pittsburgh lawyer, and Nolan Ryan, the legendary Hall of Fame pitcher who has served as Rangers president for the last two years. Ryan will retain control of the club’s operations as part of the deal.

“Together, we have worked exhaustively since last month to attain this agreement,” Hicks said in a statement. “It’s a complex business deal that positions the franchise positively for the future.”

Hicks, who made his billions on leveraged buyouts, founded p.e. firm Hicks Muse Tate & Furst in 1989. The firm is now called HM Capital. He bought the Rangers in 1998 from an ownership group that included former President George W. Bush. Hicks will have the title of chairman emeritus at the baseball team.

HSG’s lenders declared it in default on some $515 million in syndicated loans in April. The group’s default was first reported by FINalternatives.

The deal still requires the approval of some 40 lenders to HSG, as well as of Major League Baseball. Hicks has separately agreed to sell or transfer 153 of the 195 acres surrounding Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, Texas, but will retain the remaining 42.

Hicks, who still owns hockey’s Dallas Star and a 50% stake in English soccer team Liverpool Football Club, also last week agreed to sell his Aspen, Colo., estate for $18.5 million.

http://www.finalternatives.com/node/11044
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2010, 01:36:49 pm »
Defaulted Hicks To Sell Baseball Team
January 25, 2010
Private equity veteran Tom Hicks has finally struck a deal to sell the Texas Rangers baseball team, more than nine months after his sports holding company defaulted on more than $500 million in loans.

The Hicks Sports Group officially announced the sale, which has been months in the making, on Saturday night. No final sale price was set, but the Rangers, who play outside of Dallas, are expected to fetch more than $500 million.

The new owners of the team are led by Chuck Greenberg, a Pittsburgh lawyer, and Nolan Ryan, the legendary Hall of Fame pitcher who has served as Rangers president for the last two years. Ryan will retain control of the club’s operations as part of the deal.

“Together, we have worked exhaustively since last month to attain this agreement,” Hicks said in a statement. “It’s a complex business deal that positions the franchise positively for the future.”

Hicks, who made his billions on leveraged buyouts, founded p.e. firm Hicks Muse Tate & Furst in 1989. The firm is now called HM Capital. He bought the Rangers in 1998 from an ownership group that included former President George W. Bush. Hicks will have the title of chairman emeritus at the baseball team.

HSG’s lenders declared it in default on some $515 million in syndicated loans in April. The group’s default was first reported by FINalternatives.

The deal still requires the approval of some 40 lenders to HSG, as well as of Major League Baseball. Hicks has separately agreed to sell or transfer 153 of the 195 acres surrounding Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, Texas, but will retain the remaining 42.

Hicks, who still owns hockey’s Dallas Star and a 50% stake in English soccer team Liverpool Football Club, also last week agreed to sell his Aspen, Colo., estate for $18.5 million.

http://www.finalternatives.com/node/11044

So he's sold his house next to George Bush? I didn't realise things were that bad for Hicks.

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2010, 01:44:23 pm »
So he's sold his house next to George Bush? I didn't realise things were that bad for Hicks.

I believe that's his holiday home.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2010, 01:51:20 pm »
I believe that's his holiday home.

it is indeed - bush and hicks live in dallas, that house is in colorado

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2010, 02:58:06 pm »
Actually the hidden question in all these reports is the bit about also selling/transfering the land around the ballpark. What exactly does that mean? Has he included a transfer of the acreage within the purchase price or has he separately flogged them? If the latter, then he may be better off than we at first assumed; although the use of words is so lax that it smacks of Hicks's pr - lots of froth and bubble, all ultimately empty.

Offline RedTexan

• Main Stander
  • Don't do that. This might be someone's life
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2010, 03:07:35 pm »
I don't see Hicks using a penny of that money on LFC.      He just filled his pockets from a previous business venture, buying and selling the Texas Rangers.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2010, 03:15:58 pm »
Is anybody else ashamed that George Bush has probably gone over to Hicks' house to watch us play?

Offline Dave_the_Red

• Kopite
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2010, 03:17:44 pm »
I don't see Hicks using a penny of that money on LFC.      He just filled his pockets from a previous business venture, buying and selling the Texas Rangers.

I agree. The only way he'll spend money is if he has to. And hicks spending his money on us are as likely as the Afghanistan being women friendly

Offline lincolnred-dad

• ok i'm an arse. a big fat arse.
  • Kopite
  • It's my bloody fence and I'm sitting on it!
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2010, 04:03:58 pm »
Is anybody else ashamed that George Bush has probably gone over to Hicks' house to watch us play?

i'd never thought of that! :(
bastardo.
If Tevez signs I will be the first man in history to run from Sydney to Melbourne in complete and utter nudity  :D

Offline 4H_Poker

• Anny Roader
  • Lost - but making good time !
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2010, 05:09:31 pm »
Remember when you all first heard of the Rangers/Stars debt .. and you worried that LFC money would get syphoned off to pay for his "Yank" teams ?

It never happened, did it ? That was one thing he made clear in his interviews .. quite possibly the only truth he said !

So ...... what in Gods name makes you think he's going to transfer any money made on the Rangers sale to LFC ?

That's right ... not a sausage is crossing the pond ... the only thing likely to come over from this is another loan note as he's got a better asset in the Stars now.

Just my opinion.
YNWA

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2010, 05:20:46 pm »
Now that they both have at least less debt and possibly substantial funds at their disposal, I would expect RBS to insist they pay off a substantial portion of the debt as part of the next loan renegotiation.  That's the only way we'll see any of Hicks and Gillet's money I'm afraid and even then they'll presumably lend it to themselves at an extortionate rate of interest that the club has to pay
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2010, 06:12:16 pm »
Now that they both have at least less debt and possibly substantial funds at their disposal, I would expect RBS to insist they pay off a substantial portion of the debt as part of the next loan renegotiation.  That's the only way we'll see any of Hicks and Gillet's money I'm afraid and even then they'll presumably lend it to themselves at an extortionate rate of interest that the club has to pay
Hicks didn't have the debt though, his Sports Group did. Admittedly it made his Sports Group empires value reduce significantly but it doesn't leave him with anything to leverage against in the short/medium term.

I fear that we might end up the same way as the Mancs, issuing bonds at high rates of interest which will eat up all of the new stadium revenues for some years to come!

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2010, 09:00:53 pm »

Spot on there.

Remember the little fat yank Gillett selling the habs? Well so far as we can tell he has invested a big fat zero in us so it's extremely unlikely that the big fat yank Hicks will do anything other then keep his money in the vault.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2010, 10:06:08 pm »
Texas Rangers’ Sale Ends Months of Wrangling
January 25, 2010, 4:08 pm

The sale of the Texas Rangers baseball team ends months of wrangling between the Hicks Sports Group, headed up by the former private equity maven Thomas O. Hicks, and the team’s debt holders, made up of various investors including hedge funds and wealthy individuals.

The purchase price of the deal, reached over the weekend, was not disclosed, but a person familiar with the deal told DealBook that the team fetched $520 million to $550 million. The Rangers were acquired by Rangers Baseball Express, an investment group headed by Nolan Ryan, the legendary pitcher who now serves as president of the team, and Chuck Greenberg, a Pittsburgh lawyer.

The investment group also bought 153 acres around the Texas Rangers ballpark and the Dallas Cowboy Stadium in Arlington, Tex., a Dallas suburb, in a separate transaction, bringing the total purchase price up to around the $600 million mark, according to the person familiar with the matter, who spoke on condition that he not be identified because the deal is private.

The strong purchase price comes with the hope of leveraging more cash down the road with the introduction of a cable channel that will show Rangers and Dallas Stars hockey games, which remains part of the Hick Sports Group, this person told DealBook. But there is as yet no formal plan to start such a channel, which would be similar to the Yes Network in the New York area, which broadcasts games of local sports, including the New York Yankees.

A group of wealthy Dallas-based investors brought most of the money to the table, financing well over 50 percent of the purchase price, this person told DealBook. But it will be Mr. Greenberg and Mr. Ryan who will be the investors most heavily involved in running the day-to-day operations of the baseball team, which claims fans mostly from north Texas through the team’s base in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex.

It is also a bittersweet day for Mr. Hicks, who bought the team from an investor group in 1998 that included George W. Bush, then the Texas governor and now a former president. Mr. Hicks paid $250 million for the Rangers, which was at the time the second-largest amount ever paid for a Major League Baseball team. Mr. Bush received nearly $15 million for his stake in the deal and was not among the wealthy set of individuals who bought back into the team this weekend, another person familiar with the deal told DealBook.

Mr. Hicks wanted to raise the profile of the team and lead them to the World Series, something that had eluded the Rangers throughout its franchise history. In 2001, Mr. Hicks struck a deal to sign Alex Rodriguez in a 10-year, $252 million contract, which remains one of the most lucrative in baseball history. But while Mr. Rodriguez performed well, the team still floundered. He was later traded to the Yankees.

Mr. Hicks continued to acquire other major baseball stars, but the team never managed to bring in enough wins to spur ticket sales and generate strong positive cash flow, the first person familiar with the matter told DealBook. The other team in the Hicks Sports group, the Dallas Stars hockey team, was also unable to generate enough cash to cover much of its costs.

Mr. Hicks began borrowing money to finance the team during the credit boom. He also levered up in 2007 to buy a 50 percent stake in the Liverpool Football Club, which he bought with along George Gillett, the former owner of the Montreal Canadiens hockey team, for a total purchase price including debt of £218.9 million, or $356 million.

But by March 2009, amid the financial crisis, Mr. Hicks defaulted on nearly $525 million in debt he borrowed to bankroll the team. This weekend, the debt holders finally signed off on the after months of negotiating with Mr. Hicks over the real estate connected to the team.

The Major League Baseball commission was said to be heavily involved in the sale and has given its blessing. The deal will become official after a vote of all the league’s owners, and the person familiar with the sale process told DealBook that obtaining the league’s approval was not expected to be a problem.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Raine Advisors and Perella Weinberg Partners served as the financial advisers to the Hicks Sports Group while Morgan Stanley, Evolution Media Capital and CAA Sports Media Venture represented Rangers Baseball Express.

– Cyrus Sanati

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/texas-rangers-sale-ends-months-of-wrangling/

Offline OneKop

• Kopite
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2010, 01:24:01 am »
What i dont get about all this crap is:

How the fuck, does that twat Hick's manage to sell something for over $500 mill, that Forbes valued closer to $400mill at a time when the global economy is fucked up? and the twat was being nailed to the wall by all his debt. The buyers should have had this twat by the balls, he should have been lucky to get anyone buying at $400mill
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2010, 07:07:03 am »
What i dont get about all this crap is:

How the fuck, does that twat Hick's manage to sell something for over $500 mill, that Forbes valued closer to $400mill at a time when the global economy is fucked up? and the twat was being nailed to the wall by all his debt. The buyers should have had this twat by the balls, he should have been lucky to get anyone buying at $400mill

because Forbes is the biggest pile of shit that ever existed.  It has absolutely no purpose what so ever.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2010, 09:04:25 am »
No final sale price was set,

How can you agree a sale with no price being set? Bizarre. The figures range from 'no price' to $600m including the acreage. The latter should clear all his debts, though it's interesting he wants to leverage against a cable company in the future.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2010, 09:46:01 am »
How can you agree a sale with no price being set? Bizarre. The figures range from 'no price' to $600m including the acreage. The latter should clear all his debts, though it's interesting he wants to leverage against a cable company in the future.

I seem to vaguely recall Hicks saying something like that about us in one of his earlier interviews?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2010, 10:37:24 am »
How can you agree a sale with no price being set? Bizarre.

Its not bizarre at all, the base price will be one amount, and then depending on certain conditions, certain things they have been told being true, etc etc. the price will then rise.

Its a fairly common practice to be honest.

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2010, 10:45:14 am »

Hicks loves cable and radio companies, doesn't he? I believe his father made his living that way. If you recall, Hicks bought several such companies in South America at over-inflated prices, at the same time he bought Corinthians. Allegedly he used money from Texas University when Dubya was governor. Of course, we all know what happened, it all turned to dust. This is perhaps one of the few times in his business life without the immense support from a political figure, and I still think he's hurting. He is still a rich man to you and me, but for a rich man he has taken a hit, and long may it continue!

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2010, 10:51:24 am »
Its not bizarre at all, the base price will be one amount, and then depending on certain conditions, certain things they have been told being true, etc etc. the price will then rise.

Its a fairly common practice to be honest.

Thanks. I'm no businessman. Basically, there's a ball park figure and they've yet to do due diligence.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2010, 11:45:28 am »
Hicks loves cable and radio companies, doesn't he? I believe his father made his living that way. If you recall, Hicks bought several such companies in South America at over-inflated prices, at the same time he bought Corinthians. Allegedly he used money from Texas University when Dubya was governor. Of course, we all know what happened, it all turned to dust. This is perhaps one of the few times in his business life without the immense support from a political figure, and I still think he's hurting. He is still a rich man to you and me, but for a rich man he has taken a hit, and long may it continue!
What ever happened to the plastics company hicks was trying to buy into?  did he manage to squeeze his fat finger into to that pie or was it burned?

Offline OneKop

• Kopite
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2010, 11:56:09 am »
because Forbes is the biggest pile of shit that ever existed.  It has absolutely no purpose what so ever.

Now i have thought that for a long time, but another certain poster on here uses Forbes as if its the Holy Bible to keep telling us how rich Hick's is, The guy is a Billionaire nearly twice over..... because Forbes say so.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2010, 12:11:22 pm »
What ever happened to the plastics company hicks was trying to buy into?  did he manage to squeeze his fat finger into to that pie or was it burned?

That will be Graham Packaging (largely owned by Blackstone). Hicks Acquisition had c$500m of investors' money but he wasn't able to raise enough to float Graham Packaging for $3b. Hicks had to hastily buy Resolute Natural Resources (Oil company) for $582m or the financial regulators would have pulled the plug on Hicks Acquisitions. I believe there is a finite time to invest his investors' money.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2010, 12:24:26 pm »
That will be Graham Packaging (largely owned by Blackstone). Hicks Acquisition had c$500m of investors' money but he wasn't able to raise enough to float Graham Packaging for $3b. Hicks had to hastily buy Resolute Natural Resources (Oil company) for $582m or the financial regulators would have pulled the plug on Hicks Acquisitions. I believe there is a finite time to invest his investors' money.
ahh rite, so he bascially had a voucher with a time limit and threw it on something else.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2010, 12:58:39 pm »

lfc is worth more than barca according to forbes

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2010, 01:01:52 pm »
ahh rite, so he bascially had a voucher with a time limit and threw it on something else.

Just love the chillies, fry.  ;)

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2010, 01:06:47 pm »
Just love the chillies, fry.  ;)
Thanks harry, thought I would spice up my avatar.

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2010, 02:54:20 pm »
The Rangers deal is not a done deal
Tue Jan 26,2010 9:00 AM ET By Craig Calcaterra

Sure, Greenberg and Ryan have made a deal with Hicks, but they're not the only ones that matter.  According to Sports Business Journal, a hedge fund called Monarch Alternative Capital -- which came in late in the game and bought up a bunch of Hicks Sports' Group's debt when they nearly defaulted on their obligations last summer -- has yet to sign off. And they may not, because they think that Hicks passed up a better offer: from Houston businessman Jim Crane.

SBJ is saying that Monarch is "unlikely" to scuttle the deal, but that it has a reputation for "going to the mat" for the last dollar.  They're also none too pleased with the fact that Hicks is still going to end up owning part of the team post-sale, making him a buyer and a seller.

Because Monarch is essentially a debt vulture, it may not get much sympathy from the banks and everyone who matters here on the pure dollars of it all. But I continue to think that they have an excellent point regarding Hicks being on both sides of the deal. That has stunk to me from the get-go, and I have no idea why, if there were better offers than Greenberg's, his partners in Hicks' Sports Group and others haven't raised a stink about it. 
http://bases.nbcsports.com/2010/01/the-rangers-deal-is-not-a-done-deal.html.php

ps
Texas Rangers: Monarch Alternative Capital, a hedge fund that now owns about $100 million of the $525 million of debt team owner Tom Hicks defaulted on last year, has emerged as a new, unexpected player in the story emerged.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:56:34 pm by HarryLabrador »

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2010, 03:12:02 pm »
The Rangers deal is not a done deal
Tue Jan 26,2010 9:00 AM ET By Craig Calcaterra

Sure, Greenberg and Ryan have made a deal with Hicks, but they're not the only ones that matter.  According to Sports Business Journal, a hedge fund called Monarch Alternative Capital -- which came in late in the game and bought up a bunch of Hicks Sports' Group's debt when they nearly defaulted on their obligations last summer -- has yet to sign off. And they may not, because they think that Hicks passed up a better offer: from Houston businessman Jim Crane.

SBJ is saying that Monarch is "unlikely" to scuttle the deal, but that it has a reputation for "going to the mat" for the last dollar.  They're also none too pleased with the fact that Hicks is still going to end up owning part of the team post-sale, making him a buyer and a seller.

Because Monarch is essentially a debt vulture, it may not get much sympathy from the banks and everyone who matters here on the pure dollars of it all. But I continue to think that they have an excellent point regarding Hicks being on both sides of the deal. That has stunk to me from the get-go, and I have no idea why, if there were better offers than Greenberg's, his partners in Hicks' Sports Group and others haven't raised a stink about it. 
http://bases.nbcsports.com/2010/01/the-rangers-deal-is-not-a-done-deal.html.php

ps
Texas Rangers: Monarch Alternative Capital, a hedge fund that now owns about $100 million of the $525 million of debt team owner Tom Hicks defaulted on last year, has emerged as a new, unexpected player in the story emerged.
So in other words, hicks refuses a higher bid in favour of a lower bid that also entitles him to stay on as part owner.  Fair play to monarch, seems like hicks is trying to pull their pants down.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2010, 03:13:16 pm »
Monarch manages distressed debt hedge funds, apparently.

Sounds like the vulture Hicks is being pursued by the hyenas.
- article says he 'nearly defaulted' on his obligations. Thought he did default. Or do they mean it was worse than we know?

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2010, 03:24:12 pm »
Monarch manages distressed debt hedge funds, apparently.

Sounds like the vulture Hicks is being pursued by the hyenas.
- article says he 'nearly defaulted' on his obligations. Thought he did default. Or do they mean it was worse than we know?
What if Monarch bought $100m of his debts when he first defaulted last spring (I think there were some 40 lenders involved), and used that money to pay the ther 40 lenders?