Author Topic: Hicks - Texas Rangers Sold...  (Read 179337 times)

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hicks $570million richer
« Reply #160 on: February 4, 2010, 05:47:43 pm »
Who gives a damn? Football is a joke nowadays anyway. It's all about money and lost all of it's essence. I'd support Liverpool even if we went bust and were demoted to the Beezer Homes League. But I'm through with all the stress and obsession with having to be first every year. Achievements built on which team has the bigger balance aren't real achievements. It's a joke that we are competing with the likes of Chelsea and Man City. An utter joke.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline RedTexan

• Main Stander
  • Don't do that. This might be someone's life
« Reply #161 on: February 4, 2010, 06:59:15 pm »
The NHL is refusing to speak about it but Hick is being forced to put the Dallas Stars up for sale. 

This is very good news in the steps to bring down Goliath.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #162 on: February 4, 2010, 07:04:00 pm »
Why is he being forced?

Offline RedTexan

• Main Stander

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 4, 2010, 07:52:04 pm »
Tom Hicks Confirms: Yes, He's Considering Selling the Dallas Stars After All
By Robert Wilonsky in Sports
Thu., Feb. 4 2010 @ 1:34PM

​It took a while, but Lisa LeMaster just sent a statement addressing The Hockey News's report that Tom Hicks, fresh off closing a deal to sell the Texas Rangers, is also looking for someone to either invest in the team or take the Dallas Stars off his hands altogether. In short: The report was right, and Hicks, after months of insisting the Stars weren't for sale, has changed his mind. See for yourself.

Statement from Hicks Sports Group

(Dallas, TX February 4, 2010) - Hicks Sports Group today confirmed that Galatioto Sports Partners ("GSP") has been retained to examine and advise the Dallas Stars on the possibility of securing new investors or selling a majority stake in the Dallas Stars. Last month, HSG announced it had reached a definitive agreement to sell its major league baseball club, the Texas Rangers. Officials said the Stars are in a "position of strength" because of the team's long-term success.

"While a sale is not a certainty," said Jeff Cogen, president of the Dallas Stars, "it is a possibility, and Mr. Hicks has received numerous inquiries about the team. Those potential investors recognize that the Stars are a success story. We have the third best record in the NHL since 1996. If you look at the team, it has been built in the right way -- building from within. It's a role model, especially for the Sunbelt teams."

The team's general manager, Joe Nieuwendyk, echoed Cogen's statement.

"I am not surprised there is interest in this franchise," said Nieuwendyk. "I believe it is positioned for greatness for many years because of the youth in our system, our tradition of winning, and we have an established and enthusiastic fan base."

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2010/02/tom_hicks_confirms_yes_hes_con.php
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline JohnOK

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: February 4, 2010, 07:55:40 pm »
If he has sold the Stars and the Rangers, does that mean he is more likely to stay on here and less likely to sell us?

Offline RedTexan

• Main Stander
« Reply #166 on: February 4, 2010, 08:21:28 pm »
The Hicks family is hurting financially right now.  Defaulting on that 530 million USD loan is really bad.  I think the odds of him selling his half are more and more likely.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #167 on: February 4, 2010, 08:41:18 pm »
Who gives a damn? Football is a joke nowadays anyway. It's all about money and lost all of it's essence. I'd support Liverpool even if we went bust and were demoted to the Beezer Homes League. But I'm through with all the stress and obsession with having to be first every year. Achievements built on which team has the bigger balance aren't real achievements. It's a joke that we are competing with the likes of Chelsea and Man City. An utter joke.

I have to agree
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 4, 2010, 09:19:05 pm »
The Hicks family is hurting financially right now.  Defaulting on that 530 million USD loan is really bad.  I think the odds of him selling his half are more and more likely.

oh happy days...

Offline PolarBear16

• Main Stander
  • Superman wears Steven Gerrard underwear
« Reply #169 on: February 4, 2010, 09:35:33 pm »

Offline PhilAnderer

• Kopite
  • Smack my arse
« Reply #170 on: February 4, 2010, 10:18:28 pm »
I hope the next thing he has to sell is LFC followed closely by his house. Couldn't happen to a nicer fella.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 4, 2010, 10:25:54 pm »
I hope the next thing he has to sell is LFC followed closely by his house. Couldn't happen to a nicer fella.

he did sell a very nice holiday home a few weeks ago

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 4, 2010, 10:31:11 pm »
He does appear to be utterly fucked financially with all these sales.  Obviously he'll never be 'skint' the way the layperson relates to such a term.  But it does seem like his LBO empire is crashing all around him.

Heartbreaking eh.

Offline canuckkopite

• Anny Roader
« Reply #173 on: February 4, 2010, 10:36:22 pm »
Financially strapped owner Tom Hicks is looking into a possible sale of the Dallas Stars.

The Hicks Sports Group said Thursday the NHL team has retained Galatioto Sports Partners to look for new investors and examine the idea of selling a majority stake in the Stars.

"While a sale is not a certainty it is a possibility," said Jeff Cogen, Stars team president, in a release. "And Mr. Hicks has received numerous inquiries about the team. Those potential investors recognize that the Stars are a success story."

Last year, Hicks, who also owns the MLB's Texas Rangers, defaulted on a loan backed by the Stars and the Rangers.

Hicks recently reached an agreement to sell the Rangers to a group led by Pittsburgh attorney Chuck Greenberg. The sale awaits approval from Major League Baseball.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2010/02/04/sp-hockey-stars-sale.html#ixzz0ebqFK8F5

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #174 on: February 4, 2010, 11:20:28 pm »
Ahhhh,poor Tom! ::)
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
« Reply #175 on: February 4, 2010, 11:27:53 pm »

He ain't giving us up that easily im afraid.
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Offline canuckkopite

• Anny Roader
« Reply #176 on: February 5, 2010, 03:14:26 am »
You'd think it's only a matter of time though.

Offline col64

• Anny Roader
« Reply #177 on: February 5, 2010, 07:23:54 am »
What ever happened to the `fit and proper test` ?
What a couple of shisters , and gillett brought him in because he had the money !!!

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #178 on: February 5, 2010, 08:28:42 am »
So whats the situation with the Texas Rangers is that on sale also on hold ?

Offline Robbie Styles

• Main Stander
    • Robbie Styles
« Reply #179 on: February 5, 2010, 08:53:07 am »

Spot on. I couldn't agree more!
Bill Shankly - 'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'

Offline Dave_the_Red

• Kopite
« Reply #180 on: February 5, 2010, 10:22:08 am »
What ever happened to the `fit and proper test` ?
What a couple of shisters , and gillett brought him in because he had the money !!!

First I heard of the "fit and proper test" was when their ownership  was unravelling. "Fit and proper test" was brought in because of them.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #181 on: February 5, 2010, 11:07:43 am »
First I heard of the "fit and proper test" was when their ownership  was unravelling. "Fit and proper test" was brought in because of them.

You only have to look at Portsmouth to see what a joke it it.

Better still, according to the fit and proper test, taking one club into administration does not exclude you from becoming a director or owner at another club. Its only if you do it twice that your actually banned!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #182 on: February 5, 2010, 11:10:01 am »
So you've got to wreck TWO clubs before they stop you wrecking a third?

I suppose that accounts for Ridsdale at Cardiff.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 5, 2010, 11:18:01 am »

Yep.

Ridsdale is the most high profile example that I know of.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #184 on: February 5, 2010, 11:40:07 am »

Osama Bin Laden would pass the FA's fit and proper test, the only ones who would fail are those convicted of fraud or banned directors and possibly suicide bombers (although their primary career path would make them a non starter anyway!).

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 5, 2010, 11:42:10 am »
Looks like he's still over here.

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks could sell NHL team Dallas Stars
Tom Hicks, the financially strapped owner of the Dallas Stars, is exploring a possible sale of the NHL team.

The Hicks Sports Group said on Thursday it has retained Galatioto Sports Partners to look for new investors and explore the idea of selling a majority stake in the NHL team.

Team president Jeff Cogen said in a statement that Hicks had received "numerous" inquiries about the team, although he said a sale was not a certainty.

"Those potential investors recognize that the Stars are a success story," Cogen said. "It's a role model, especially for the Sun Belt teams."

Less than a year after defaulting on $525 million in loans backed by the Stars and baseball's Texas Rangers, Hicks has already agreed to sell the Rangers to a group led by Pittsburgh attorney Chuck Greenberg. The Rangers sale awaits approval from Major League Baseball, the NHL and the group of 40 lenders holding debt from the Hicks group.

Hicks also owns half of Liverpool in the English Premier League, and government officials there have expressed concern about the debt load tied up in that franchise.

A spokeswoman for Hicks said the owner was out of the country and unavailable for comment.

Hicks bought the Stars in 1996 from Norm Green, who had moved the team from Minneapolis three years earlier. Dallas won the Stanley Cup in 1999, sparking a home sellout streak that surpassed 200 games while interest in youth hockey blossomed through several Dallas-area ice rinks run by the Stars.

But Dallas lost momentum through the NHL's work stoppage in 2004-05 and had less playoff success. The Stars have made it out of the first round just once in the past five seasons. Home sellouts that used to be certain are now rare, and they are in danger of missing the playoffs in consecutive seasons for the first time since moving to Dallas.

Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk said the foundation of the team was still there.

"I believe it is positioned for greatness for many years because of the youth in our system, our tradition of winning, and we have an established and enthusiastic fan base," Nieuwendyk said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/icehockey/7160429/Liverpool-co-owner-Tom-Hicks-could-sell-NHL-team-Dallas-Stars.html

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #186 on: February 5, 2010, 11:44:39 am »
See our government is concerned about LFC hopefully the can put pressure on them to sell.
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #187 on: February 5, 2010, 11:46:15 am »
so the reason he's here is to escape from answering questions over him selling hishockey team.  Typical weasel attitude.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline peterb17

• Click on Bookmarks. Click on Bookmark this page. Arl arses now has an electronic tag.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: February 5, 2010, 11:56:37 am »
a slight aside but does anybody think that junior's 'Blow Me F@?k Face'
response might actually have been due to the fact that the Hicks family are under severe financial pressure and he couldn't, at that moment in time handle any questions, no matter how reasonably put about our financial situation?

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: February 5, 2010, 11:59:52 am »
a slight aside but does anybody think that junior's 'Blow Me F@?k Face'
response might actually have been due to the fact that the Hicks family are under severe financial pressure and he couldn't, at that moment in time handle any questions, no matter how reasonably put about our financial situation?

Nah, he's simply a cnut.

Offline peterb17

• Click on Bookmarks. Click on Bookmark this page. Arl arses now has an electronic tag.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 5, 2010, 12:11:15 pm »
yeah your right

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 5, 2010, 12:25:12 pm »
I would prefer to see the headline Tom Hicks sells his Liverpool Share, rather than him selling his franchises in The States, these stories make me nervous that the arl c*nt will put all his eggs in one basket Liverpool F.C.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #192 on: February 5, 2010, 12:28:09 pm »
I don't think he has any eggs left to put in the basket though Lynds
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: February 5, 2010, 12:29:29 pm »
I would prefer to see the headline Tom Hicks sells his Liverpool Share, rather than him selling his franchises in The States, these stories make me nervous that the arl c*nt will put all his eggs in one basket Liverpool F.C.
I really don't think he's ever going to do that. This is a man known for not ever spending his own money as capital. But more importantly, he has a partner whom he seriously cannot brush off that easily as it would cost him. He wants to sell, and I bet deep down he loathes us.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Liverbird 2010

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 5, 2010, 12:31:55 pm »
I don't think he has any eggs left to put in the basket though Lynds

Lets hope so mate, maybe he is retirering from being an LBO merchant he needs to enjoy that money he has he doesnt look to healthy, he's not getting any younger why put yourself through so much hassle and not just enjoy the last few years of your life instead of being a greedy fucker, money isnt everything.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 5, 2010, 12:36:21 pm »
I bet deep down he loathes us.

the feelings mutual  :D

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: February 5, 2010, 12:43:21 pm »

risdale didnt take leeds into administration though

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 5, 2010, 12:59:05 pm »
Lets hope so mate, maybe he is retirering from being an LBO merchant he needs to enjoy that money he has he doesnt look to healthy, he's not getting any younger why put yourself through so much hassle and not just enjoy the last few years of your life instead of being a greedy fucker, money isnt everything.

You have to remember with these people its not just the money, its the thrill and the buzz. My mate works for a hedge fund, of which the owner paid himself $800 million plus the year before last, but he hasnt retired, he still works 15 hours a day and has no plans on quitting. They are a different animal to the likes of you and me. Most of us would put our feet up is we had £1 million, never mind tens or hundreds of millions.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #198 on: February 5, 2010, 01:29:51 pm »
You have to remember with these people its not just the money, its the thrill and the buzz. My mate works for a hedge fund, of which the owner paid himself $800 million plus the year before last, but he hasnt retired, he still works 15 hours a day and has no plans on quitting. They are a different animal to the likes of you and me. Most of us would put our feet up is we had £1 million, never mind tens or hundreds of millions.

He doesn't support LFC or want to invest in us does he?
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #199 on: February 5, 2010, 02:44:44 pm »
Great he's sold the Rangers, but will use it to help finance our club? No he won't! He doesn't give a damn about LFC or the fans. The fact that this guy had to look us up on Wikipedia before making his decision to buy into this club, has never sat right  with me.
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)