Author Topic: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel  (Read 101945 times)

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« Reply #721 on: May 10, 2012, 05:31:39 pm »
Wash your mouth out with alien goo

Then make it dirty again with Robin Hood ;D
:D

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #722 on: May 10, 2012, 08:02:29 pm »
A lot more consistent than Ridley Scott
Yep, consistently overrated shite.

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #723 on: May 11, 2012, 06:05:04 am »
Then make it dirty again with Robin Hood ;D

Aye. Robin hood was unbelievably fucking shite. I expected way more.

*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #724 on: May 11, 2012, 11:42:49 am »
A lot more consistent than Ridley Scott

You'd probably have to wait about 30 years to compare Nolan to Ridley Scott, to be fair. Personally I think Chris Nolan has made an exceptional start to his career. I love Memento and I even like Insomnia quite a lot. Inception is great big smash of a summer movie, and I have really enjoyed all the Batmans so far, even if The Dark Knight was about 20 minutes too long.

Ridley Scott's choice of project has become really sketchy in the last 10 years or so, your Hannibals, Body of Lies and A Good Year simply cannot live with the times when he was all: Black Rain, Thelma and Louise, Blade Runner, Alien etc.

For the record, I think Nolan is smarter but Scott has a better sense of visuals and probably more of a wider interest in different stories.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #725 on: May 11, 2012, 12:14:12 pm »
You'd probably have to wait about 30 years to compare Nolan to Ridley Scott, to be fair. Personally I think Chris Nolan has made an exceptional start to his career. I love Memento and I even like Insomnia quite a lot. Inception is great big smash of a summer movie, and I have really enjoyed all the Batmans so far, even if The Dark Knight was about 20 minutes too long.

Ridley Scott's choice of project has become really sketchy in the last 10 years or so, your Hannibals, Body of Lies and A Good Year simply cannot live with the times when he was all: Black Rain, Thelma and Louise, Blade Runner, Alien etc.

For the record, I think Nolan is smarter but Scott has a better sense of visuals and probably more of a wider interest in different stories.

Yeah there's no way to compare the two at the moment, just don't understand how anyone can dislike either. I think, American Gangster aside, it's been very questionable choices from Scott for too long now... I can't see Prometheus being anything other than sensational though.

I don't think Nolan could do something like Prometheus, in that regard Scott does have a much better sense of visuals. At the same time Nolan has some amazing style, The Dark Knight isn't a superhero movie for me, pure Film Noir, I was utterly immersed.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #726 on: May 15, 2012, 07:41:00 pm »
May have been pulled by now, but a new teaser. Some interesting stuff in there. No idea how much more they can reveal without blowing the fecking thing wide open. http://www.joblo.com/video/joblo/player.php?video=prometheus_tvspot

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #727 on: May 15, 2012, 11:46:00 pm »
Too many spoilers in that one for me, turned it off.

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: May 16, 2012, 01:08:52 am »
resisted the urge. thats a first for me. really want to enjoy this movie

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: May 16, 2012, 06:32:01 am »
Me too, I'm not watching anything else now unless I have 3D glasses on, in a darkened room.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #730 on: May 16, 2012, 06:45:10 am »
Wish I hadn't watched that, to be fair  >:(

Offline SuperScouse

• Anny Roader
  • Walk on through the wind
« Reply #731 on: May 16, 2012, 09:05:56 am »
Can't wait for this, not watching any more trailers now. Booked in at IMAX 3D, right at the back in the middle :D

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: May 16, 2012, 10:18:03 am »
Me too, I'm not watching anything else now unless I have 3D glasses on, in a darkened room.

Same here, that's it for me now. Got another 15 days to wait, no more spoilers, I will resist.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #733 on: May 16, 2012, 10:41:34 am »
Having a midnight screening at Cineworld now!! (1st June that is)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:28:09 pm by Andy @ Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: May 18, 2012, 10:48:55 am »
A friend of mine works for Fox in the accounst department. Her fridays at work include a compulsory viewing of a film in their 100 seater in-house cinema. Followed by an optional viewing of a film in the afteroon. This includes competitors films, not just Fox.

Guess what she is watching right now....

Nice work if you can get it.

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #735 on: May 18, 2012, 04:20:17 pm »
A friend of mine works for Fox in the accounst department. Her fridays at work include a compulsory viewing of a film in their 100 seater in-house cinema. Followed by an optional viewing of a film in the afteroon. This includes competitors films, not just Fox.

Jealous. Literally cant wait for this movie. Gunna try to avoid spoilers as best i can over the next couple of weeks.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #736 on: May 19, 2012, 04:43:16 am »
New e-mail sent from Weyland Industries where you can "apply" to be a member of the crew. My computer's not good enough to really take the best advantage of the program, but what I was able to do looks great. The other drawback- it requires Internet Explorer to unlock the majority of the add-ons. My Firefox cries.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline RedRich84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • SOS 7033
« Reply #737 on: May 19, 2012, 08:59:02 am »

I work for Fox too mate & was in said screening.

It was rather good - not saying too much as don't want to give anything away.

Who's your mate?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #738 on: May 19, 2012, 09:08:55 am »
Watching it with a mate at midnight (After loads of ale) then watching it again at 13:00 :)

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline mart356

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: May 19, 2012, 10:39:03 am »

Who's your mate?

scale of 1-10 how good was it?

Offline RedRich84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • SOS 7033
« Reply #740 on: May 19, 2012, 11:35:30 am »
Solid 7.

Sorry fellas, it's good but not great. Just my opinion though...

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #741 on: May 19, 2012, 03:56:53 pm »
Bollocks. Just found out that it's not on at 00:00 in Liverpool

Might have to go to the Odeon in town

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #742 on: May 19, 2012, 03:57:25 pm »
Solid 7.

Are you a massive fan of the first one though? Would you say it's got more in common with that film rather than Aliens etc.?

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: May 19, 2012, 10:56:18 pm »
solid 7? im heartbroken.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #744 on: May 20, 2012, 03:39:38 am »
Solid 7.

What would you give 8s and 9s to? Just wondering how your opinion on movies corresponds with mine. :)
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #745 on: May 20, 2012, 04:55:20 am »
Aye. Robin hood was unbelievably fucking shite. I expected way more.
I read a review once, accurately saying it felt the whole movie laboured along, and it seemed to end just about when it was going to get exciting.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #746 on: May 20, 2012, 07:00:00 am »
What would you give 8s and 9s to? Just wondering how your opinion on movies corresponds with mine. :)

After being in denial at his 7 rating I stalked RedRich on RAWK. ;D

Iron Lady - "Brilliant Film"
Kill List - "9/10'

Offline RedRich84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • SOS 7033
« Reply #747 on: May 20, 2012, 11:40:00 am »
After being in denial at his 7 rating I stalked RedRich on RAWK. ;D

Iron Lady - "Brilliant Film"
Kill List - "9/10'

Haha, I'll get a restraining order!!!

Fuck, did I really say The Iron Lady was a 'brilliant film'?! Must have been on something!

Stand by Kill List to some extent, maybe not a 9 though.

Prometheus - to be fair I'm not a massive fan of the original - don't get me wrong it's ace but not into it to the extent others are. Lots of people came out of the screening saying the same - it was really good, but it doesn't quite meet the hype - although to meet the hype would take something very special! Visually it's very impressive, it just seems to be rushed in places & is quite confusing at times even if you have seen the original.

Would be good to know what you lot think. You might love it and I'll end up getting caned again for another bollocks review & rating  ;D

Offline AFX

• Kopite
« Reply #748 on: May 20, 2012, 01:59:51 pm »
Dunno if this has been posted. Thought it might interest some of you.

----------

A month shy of Blade Runner’s 30th anniversary, word has come down that Ridley Scott will direct a sequel to the groundbreaking sci-fi film, with original screenwriter Hampton Fancher in talks to develop the screenplay.

News that Scott would helm a new Blade Runner movie came out a while back, but up until now it was unclear if the film would be a prequel, sequel or something else entirely. Beyond the clarity that the movie will indeed be a sequel, few details about its actual premise have been released.

“The filmmakers would reveal only that the new story will take place some years after the first film concluded,” production company Alcon Entertainment said in a statement announcing the sequel to the 1982 adaptation of Philip K. Dick’s novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.

However, as The Mary Sue points out, Scott noted recently that he’s looking to have a female lead in the film. Since Scott has already said Harrison Ford likely won’t be returning to reprise his role as “blade runner” Rick Deckard, having an amazing female lead holds the potential for true awesomeness.

“I started my first meetings on the Blade Runner sequel last week,” Scott told the Daily Beast in an interview posted Thursday. “We have a very good take on it. And we’ll definitely be featuring a female protagonist.”

The legendary director, whose highly anticipated Alien spinoff Prometheus opens next month, doesn’t elaborate on what kind of female protagonist his new Blade Runner film will feature — or whether she’ll be a replicant. But from Thelma & Louise to G.I. Jane, the director has earned a reputation for employing kick-ass female leads.

Sigourney Weaver’s Lt. Ripley from Alien is generally considered the action heroine by which all others are measured, and Prometheus boasts two female leads: Charlize Theron (who won an Oscar for Monster) and Noomi Rapace (the original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo).

was pretty taken with this little punk in the lead who seemed to own the street,” Scott told the Daily Beast of Rapace’s performance in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. “As a protagonist, she’s a very physical woman who’s almost as agile as an acrobat and keeps herself enormously fit. She’s also got a real brain in her head. No one’s going to be disappointed [by her performance in Prometheus]…. She sure does kick some ass in this movie — again and again.”

It’ll be a while before the new Blade Runner movie gets under way (Scott is currently in preproduction for his next film, The Counselor). But in the meantime, Rooney Mara — call your agent.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/05/ridley-scott-blade-runner-sequel/
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: May 21, 2012, 12:04:38 pm »
Should be previewing this, will (fingers crossed) be writing a full non-spoiler review as early as I can.

Spoiler
no one can ever resist reading things under spoiler tags
[close]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:35:35 pm by lionel_messias »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #750 on: May 21, 2012, 01:31:40 pm »
Spoiler

Spoiler

There will be a load of different Alien organisms in this film. They were based on broad groupings of life in a 'normal' environment set in an extraordinary setting. Some are 'animal like' and unintelligent and some aren't.

I'm not expecting a 'Cabin in the woods' style ending though :D

[close]

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #751 on: May 21, 2012, 02:28:54 pm »
Major Spoiler - DO NOT OPEN!!!

Spoiler

While looking at something else, it appears that the beastie in the death match at the end is a Cthulhu looking thingy and comes from one of the crewmembers (That you can see changing in the trailer) and is battled by something that comes from the lead girly bod.

So it's going to be like Godzilla v Ed the Giant squid!

Yeah-har!

[close]

Offline mart356

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: May 21, 2012, 03:51:10 pm »
Should be previewing this, will (fingers crossed) be writing a full non-spoiler review as early as I can.

Spoiler
no one can ever resist reading things under spoiler tags
[close]

Nice one, look forward to reading it, when abouts are you watching it?

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: May 21, 2012, 04:37:03 pm »

Who's your mate?

Darshna?

Asked how it was. She said "yeah it was good, go and see it."

Care to expand on that love?

Offline IAmZlatan

• Anny Roader
  • Honorary Blackbelt
« Reply #754 on: May 22, 2012, 03:23:30 am »
Dunno if this has been posted. Thought it might interest some of you.

----------

A month shy of Blade Runner’s 30th anniversary, word has come down that Ridley Scott will direct a sequel to the groundbreaking sci-fi film, with original screenwriter Hampton Fancher in talks to develop the screenplay.

News that Scott would helm a new Blade Runner movie came out a while back, but up until now it was unclear if the film would be a prequel, sequel or something else entirely. Beyond the clarity that the movie will indeed be a sequel, few details about its actual premise have been released.

“The filmmakers would reveal only that the new story will take place some years after the first film concluded,” production company Alcon Entertainment said in a statement announcing the sequel to the 1982 adaptation of Philip K. Dick’s novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.

However, as The Mary Sue points out, Scott noted recently that he’s looking to have a female lead in the film. Since Scott has already said Harrison Ford likely won’t be returning to reprise his role as “blade runner” Rick Deckard, having an amazing female lead holds the potential for true awesomeness.

“I started my first meetings on the Blade Runner sequel last week,” Scott told the Daily Beast in an interview posted Thursday. “We have a very good take on it. And we’ll definitely be featuring a female protagonist.”

The legendary director, whose highly anticipated Alien spinoff Prometheus opens next month, doesn’t elaborate on what kind of female protagonist his new Blade Runner film will feature — or whether she’ll be a replicant. But from Thelma & Louise to G.I. Jane, the director has earned a reputation for employing kick-ass female leads.

Sigourney Weaver’s Lt. Ripley from Alien is generally considered the action heroine by which all others are measured, and Prometheus boasts two female leads: Charlize Theron (who won an Oscar for Monster) and Noomi Rapace (the original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo).

was pretty taken with this little punk in the lead who seemed to own the street,” Scott told the Daily Beast of Rapace’s performance in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. “As a protagonist, she’s a very physical woman who’s almost as agile as an acrobat and keeps herself enormously fit. She’s also got a real brain in her head. No one’s going to be disappointed [by her performance in Prometheus]…. She sure does kick some ass in this movie — again and again.”

It’ll be a while before the new Blade Runner movie gets under way (Scott is currently in preproduction for his next film, The Counselor). But in the meantime, Rooney Mara — call your agent.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/05/ridley-scott-blade-runner-sequel/

Yes please.
“I like fireworks too, but I set them off in gardens or kebab stands. I never set fire to my own house.”

Offline Cragsi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: May 22, 2012, 12:32:57 pm »
Mates just posted this to me on facebook, apologies if its already been posted

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DsJYuj48dw4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DsJYuj48dw4</a>
Riding through dust clouds and barren wastes
Galloping hard on the plains
Chasing the redskins back to their holes
Fighting them at their own game
Murder for freedom a stab in the back
Women and children and cowards attaaaaaack...

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: May 22, 2012, 07:17:06 pm »
The ending of that is really really well done ;D

Once the alarm kicks in anyway.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #757 on: May 23, 2012, 10:54:49 am »
Next friday. Can't wait.

Was watching the trailers for Alien and Aliens last night. Bit cheesy :)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #758 on: May 24, 2012, 04:45:58 pm »
A week tomorrow! Wow!

Hope I'm not going to be mega-disappointed man!

Offline mart356

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: May 24, 2012, 05:14:51 pm »
RedRich, would you say its a scary film? I know Ridley has said on numerous occasions he wants to scare people with this film.