Author Topic: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel  (Read 101991 times)

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« Reply #560 on: April 9, 2012, 09:44:16 pm »
To a degree I can easily understand the disenchantment with Hollywood pics these days. Its alot more about flashy cgi based stuff to make the crowd go oooooooooh and aaaaaaah, rather than decent storylines. But I still enjoyed the marvel comic films, the transformers films and the newer batman films because of the nostalgia associated with them from my childhood.

I will say that Prometheus is THE  most eagerly anticipated film to be released this year for me. The one thing I loved about the original Alien and Aliens films is that there's NO cgi in them. There is animatronics and real-life models instead and YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE. Even if they don't move brilliantly you can see that they are IN THE ROOM with the actors making them more realistic so to speak. I hope that the majority of the special fx in this installment are in the same vein. The odd flashy computer hologram screen is ok but when it comes to xenomorphs and facehuggers etc i hope its back to the good old days of animatronics.

I will still say that the eighties and early to mid nineties were the golden age of modern cinema. There have been some one off amazing films over the years in recent times but not with the regularity that it happened in the earlier days.

P.S I really enjoyed Batman Begins as it gave a new dynamic to the Batman franchise other than geeky fanboy stuff. I LOVED the first Batman with Jack and Michael, but after that they became either too Burton-esqe (Batman Returns was too odd for a Batman setting) or too gimicky a la Joel Schumacher turning them into bright lighted versions of the shit TV programme. The Batman films I think did need a bit of a reboot. I think adding a bit of realism into the films has added to them rather than keeping them in comic land where ANYTHING can happen.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #561 on: April 10, 2012, 12:31:54 am »
Nah I'm saying they don't make 'em like that anymore. It's all hollywood by numbers now and it's rubbish. Actually though I don't know why I said they are treating the audience with contempt because for some reason today's audience lap most of hollywood's shit up so perhaps they are just getting what they deserve. It's incredible how lazy cinema-goers have become, seemingly happy to pay for whatever rubbish has been served up and mass marketed correctly that week ad nauseum. The fact that Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time is a damning indictment on modern audiences. We're at a point where a film like The Artist having some success is seen as a triumph but in truth a large percentage of it's audience had to be "told" to go and see it.
Yup fair enough mate....as I said, was humgover and just mis-read you.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #562 on: April 10, 2012, 01:07:21 am »
Nah I'm saying they don't make 'em like that anymore. It's all hollywood by numbers now and it's rubbish. Actually though I don't know why I said they are treating the audience with contempt because for some reason today's audience lap most of hollywood's shit up so perhaps they are just getting what they deserve. It's incredible how lazy cinema-goers have become, seemingly happy to pay for whatever rubbish has been served up and mass marketed correctly that week ad nauseum. The fact that Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time is a damning indictment on modern audiences. We're at a point where a film like The Artist having some success is seen as a triumph but in truth a large percentage of it's audience had to be "told" to go and see it.

yeah I'd go along with that.
it drives me crazy when they spend so much money on a movie, then not bother writing a decent script or plot.
Avatar is a perfect example, it's just insulting to audiences.
I'm really hoping Prometheus is going to be good as I'm a sci-fi fiend, but I suspect I'm going to be left feeling a little underwhelmed again, no matter how good the visuals are.
hopefully with the success of The Hunger Games, movie makers will be more encouraged to make movies that can be a success at the box office and still have a decent plot and interesting characters.
I was underwhelmed by the Dark Knight too and I like Bale usually (Harsh Times and The Machinist were both great I thought, and Batman Begins was pretty decent).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:08:58 am by kennedy81 »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #563 on: April 10, 2012, 10:37:32 am »
I just don't get the Batman love fest at all. Totally and utterly bemused by it in fact. I thought Batman Begins was ok but strayed too much and as for The Dark Knight, I don't know if it was the hype or what but the reaction to it was so overwhelmingly positive that my expectations were rightly high. When I eventually sat down and watched it, at the end me and the missus just looked at each other as if to say "is that it?". One of the biggest cases of meh I've ever felt. And I pretty much detest the entirety of Peter Jackson's output. Should have been banned from film making after King Kong to be honest. In fact scratch that, it doesn't go far enough, after King Kong Peter Jackson should have been waterboarded...live on televison...for a year. I hate everything about Avatar. Bourne films? Awful shite.

I realise I'll be burned at the stake shortly for these views.  :D

Yeah Batman overall is fairly average. Like you, just don't get the adoration. There's been one or two half decent films. The rest has been guff.

Sick and tired of all the superhero shite now. It's been done to death. But no doubt there will be another 200 Superhero films on their way to restomp their own ground, get rebooted and do it all again.. and again.. and again..

Some story about a knobhead in a florid suit can only go so far - no matter what 'super powers' he or she has.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #564 on: April 10, 2012, 10:56:13 am »
Comic books would disagree with you there haha. Unless you're a big fan of the character I can see why superhero films get tiring because it is essentially the same sort of stuff. But each to their own.

Personally loved the new Batman films because they took it out from the comic style that Tim Burton did very well with, it's Nolan's own trilogy and I'm glad he went in a different direction with them.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« Reply #565 on: April 10, 2012, 12:39:41 pm »
Spoke to Ridley Scott this morning, saw 20 mins of footage (amazing) and took part in a Q and A. Charlize Theron has very long legs and Ridley is a funny bastard!

I won't spoiler one thing I saw but I think its been mentioned before online.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #566 on: April 10, 2012, 12:54:43 pm »
Spoke to Ridley Scott this morning, saw 20 mins of footage (amazing) and took part in a Q and A. Charlize Theron has very long legs and Ridley is a funny bastard!

I won't spoiler one thing I saw but I think its been mentioned before online.

What's he like to talk to? Comes across as dead passionate and although a perfectionist he comes across as someone with a sense of humour who can enjoy a laugh

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: April 10, 2012, 03:24:09 pm »
What's he like to talk to? Comes across as dead passionate and although a perfectionist he comes across as someone with a sense of humour who can enjoy a laugh

He was a laugh. It wasn't quite a full on press conference, but he answered on some of the key questions. He comes across as very passionate but also he doesn't take any shit; in fact he had a pop at the American ratings system. He was amusing on 3D and on the certificate issue. And cool guy, I directed a question at Rapace and Fassbender and Ridley stepped in to give me my answer, which is mildly spoilerific so I don't know what I am going to do with it yet.

Film looks amazing and looks like has been designed beautifully for the 3D - something which is easy if you know how, says Ridley Scott!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #568 on: April 10, 2012, 03:36:39 pm »
He was a laugh. It wasn't quite a full on press conference, but he answered on some of the key questions. He comes across as very passionate but also he doesn't take any shit; in fact he had a pop at the American ratings system. He was amusing on 3D and on the certificate issue. And cool guy, I directed a question at Rapace and Fassbender and Ridley stepped in to give me my answer, which is mildly spoilerific so I don't know what I am going to do with it yet.

Film looks amazing and looks like has been designed beautifully for the 3D - something which is easy if you know how, says Ridley Scott!

Please don't post any real spoilers mate.

Looking forward to this a lot and if the key things are given away then I think it'll massively take the shine off..

One question though please - do you know if it's two seperate releases? ie) A Kiddy 15 and an 18?

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: April 10, 2012, 03:43:24 pm »
Did he mention future projects ?

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #570 on: April 10, 2012, 03:45:23 pm »
Does anybody know about the potential running time of this?
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #571 on: April 10, 2012, 04:11:57 pm »
I liked Alien when I first saw it, and Aliens, but was never that big a fan of the franchise. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that all the best bits were parodied or common knowledge in the playground as a kid so a lot of the best stuff was ruined for me. Yet despite all that, I'm more excited for this film than any other in what might actually turn out to be the best summer in forever.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: April 10, 2012, 05:06:21 pm »

Please don't post any real spoilers mate.

Looking forward to this a lot and if the key things are given away then I think it'll massively take the shine off..

One question though please - do you know if it's two seperate releases? ie) A Kiddy 15 and an 18?

Hey dude, I never post spoilers, ever, don't worry.

He didn't mention what certificate, they won't know that yet; they are probably submitting to the MPAA and BBFC pretty soon for the June release.

He also didn't mention future projects.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: April 11, 2012, 02:30:03 pm »
Ok, I'm going to do some more stuff with it but for now, I've posted some material on my site based on yesterday's Prometheus footage reveal.

Warning: the last bit contains a minor spoiler which I know has been reported already on other sites. My question kind of flopped and then was rescued by Sir Ridley Scott  ;D  :

http://www.johnnymessias.com/2012/04/prometheus-to-3d-polish-your-eye-balls.html

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #574 on: April 11, 2012, 04:33:24 pm »
Warning: the last bit contains a minor spoiler which I know has been reported already on other sites. My question kind of flopped and then was rescued by Sir Ridley Scott  ;D  :

i saw some previs of (what i think is) that stuff last year but I thought it had been cut out..... it was pretty fucked up

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: April 11, 2012, 04:40:43 pm »
i saw some previs of (what i think is) that stuff last year but I thought it had been cut out..... it was pretty fucked up

Cool, just to be clear: I have no idea of what you are actually referring to, only that 'something' is there fucking up Noomi Rapace's sleep. Which is all I need to know!

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #576 on: April 11, 2012, 04:41:27 pm »

I've banned myself from reading this thread and anything written about this film from now on to remain blissfully spoiler free when I go in and watch this flawless masterpiece of a movie for the first time.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #577 on: April 11, 2012, 07:08:11 pm »
when I go in and watch this flawless masterpiece of a movie for the first time.
So you're giving this 5 stars already? Do you work for Empire magazine?  :D

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: April 11, 2012, 10:15:01 pm »
Ok, I'm going to do some more stuff with it but for now, I've posted some material on my site based on yesterday's Prometheus footage reveal.

http://www.johnnymessias.com/2012/04/prometheus-to-3d-polish-your-eye-balls.html

did you take it down lionel?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: April 11, 2012, 10:58:11 pm »
Did you watch the clip in 3d, lionel? Would you say it lends to the overall experience, or detracts, or neither?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #580 on: April 12, 2012, 02:46:14 am »
So you're giving this 5 stars already? Do you work for Empire magazine?  :D
TBF, I know already you will hate it. I probably will, too!
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: April 12, 2012, 07:17:29 am »

Briefly, its back up now with more material added.

Unlike other reports, I've not mentioned every scene we were shown.

- It was all in 3D, looks great: loads of surfaces, screens and depth. Difference from other 3D films, the design is really cool Scott style.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: April 12, 2012, 08:31:19 pm »
TBF, I know already you will hate it. I probably will, too!
Despite everything I've said in this thread I'm still cautiously optimistic. I guess I'm just trying to keep a lid on my expectations. If the film doesn't live up to the hype, it's clear that there are some on here who will be far more disappointed than me.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #583 on: April 13, 2012, 01:23:30 pm »
It was all in 3D, looks great: loads of surfaces, screens and depth. Difference from other 3D films, the design is really cool Scott style.
All sounds very promising. If Ridley Scott (at his most Ridley-Scottish) can do anything with a characteristic brilliance, it's the old stunning visuals; pure cinema, if you like. If this film has one of his eyegasmic opening sequences that makes my spine tingle, I'll be able to instantly just melt into my seat and give myself up to the ride.

There's a tiny part of the most spoilerific trailer that I almost now wish I hadn't seen, but has since had me really thinking it could be a properly classic old-school horror scene, full of beautifully creepy suspense. It involves a corridor, but I'm not going any further into it now, and I'm gona try not even thinking about it until I'm sat in the theatre.

Despite everything I've said in this thread I'm still cautiously optimistic. I guess I'm just trying to keep a lid on my expectations. If the film doesn't live up to the hype, it's clear that there are some on here who will be far more disappointed than me.
Best way of approaching it, I'd say - don't go in totally cynical, 'cause you might simply ruin an enjoyable cinematic experience for yourself and others, but likewise don't expect something that's gona rock your world to its very core. If there's anything I can't stand, it's having someone next to you scoffing at every opportunity, when you're trying to lose yourself in the world on screen.

Might even be a good move to get a bit merry (or blitzed) beforehand. ;)
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #584 on: April 16, 2012, 05:55:58 pm »
Name a film and I'll name you something that it was originally ripped off from.

The Story of the Kelly Gang.

Andy Warhol's Sleep.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: April 17, 2012, 10:39:28 am »
On the shortlist website is a fantastic page of alternative Prometheus posters, some absolute corkers there.

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/re-designed-prometheus-posters

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: April 17, 2012, 04:45:59 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4dSkf06yCvU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4dSkf06yCvU</a>
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: April 17, 2012, 05:10:16 pm »
<----that is just incredible.

The marketing team deserve every award going.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #588 on: April 17, 2012, 05:14:32 pm »
The Story of the Kelly Gang.

Andy Warhol's Sleep.

Well. It was shot in 1906. So I'll give you that one. Not too many films before it :)

Sleep was just shite - so is discounted on it's crapness.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #589 on: April 17, 2012, 05:28:37 pm »
Nice Promo, that.

Don't know about anyone else, but I'd much rather have a bunch of these for each of the principal characters than that this-is-basically-what-happens-in-the-film trailer we've been assaulted with.

I can see that Weyland do manage in time to slightly reduce the general creepiness factor of their androids with successive models. Ash is more Aspergerish, at least before the rolled-up magazine incident, and Bishop is pretty sound really. I'd have a pint [of milk] with Bishop, not so much David. ;D
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #590 on: April 17, 2012, 05:39:17 pm »

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #591 on: April 17, 2012, 07:34:11 pm »
Great viral video that one. It's like the boy robot David, from AI, grew up and somehow switched off that darn emotive switch.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #592 on: April 17, 2012, 07:41:59 pm »
Whooo.

Can't believe how much I'm looking forward to this film.

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: April 17, 2012, 07:48:47 pm »
Well. It was shot in 1906. So I'll give you that one. Not too many films before it :)

:lmao

That did make me lol!

PS - am actually more excited about this than any other movie this year.
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: April 17, 2012, 07:57:59 pm »
The more the hype machine cranks it up, the more my cynical side kicks in. This better be fucking top class.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #595 on: April 17, 2012, 07:58:00 pm »
Nice Promo, that.

Don't know about anyone else, but I'd much rather have a bunch of these for each of the principal characters than that this-is-basically-what-happens-in-the-film trailer we've been assaulted with.

I can see that Weyland do manage in time to slightly reduce the general creepiness factor of their androids with successive models. Ash is more Aspergerish, at least before the rolled-up magazine incident, and Bishop is pretty sound really. I'd have a pint [of milk] with Bishop, not so much David. ;D
Would you play the knife game with Bishop though?
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: April 17, 2012, 08:18:26 pm »
Argh, that bit where he cries is so creepy.

Fassbender is boss.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: April 18, 2012, 12:07:32 am »
Just found this pic, intrigued to know how that happens to her hands ;)

Nice nod to the Alien aswell, with the pose being the exact one that the Xeno made in the airducts.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #598 on: April 18, 2012, 12:24:03 am »
Dun think that is legit lid ^^

Online coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #599 on: April 18, 2012, 02:27:51 am »
The more the hype machine cranks it up, the more my cynical side kicks in. This better be fucking top class.

Or

Grumpyoldmangrumpyoldmangrumpyoldman

Seriously, stop reading or watching anything to do with this movie, because as it stands now, this movie may never be good enough for you.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.