Author Topic: Ultimate Multi Club Draft  (Read 21608 times)

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
Ultimate Multi Club Draft
« on: October 9, 2021, 07:19:01 pm »
Welcome to the ultimate multi club draft - where no team will be selected more than once throughout!

This is an all time snake format draft and any player selected must represent either of the top two clubs in which they made the most league appearances for (with a minimum of 50 games played - using the right hand bar on wiki as our source)

e.g. if Steven Gerrard was selected first (Liverpool in this scenario and not some LA Galaxy workaround), somebody like Jamie Carragher becomes ineligible, but Robbie Fowler would remain available as he could also represent Manchester City…

The only slight exception to the 50 games rule will be that any current player (who may have not made these set amount of games due to age, or regularly moving clubs etc) will be allowed to be selected providing their current club is still eligible. Although an unlikely scenario, I think this works best.

In the event of a player having the same number of appearances for multiple clubs, it will be up to the person who drafts them to nominate which club they would like their pick to represent.

All clubs will be eligible for selection (even those which are no longer active) and players will be judged on their whole careers / in their prime.

Sign-ups:
Adz LFC
Linudden
Lastrador
PoetryInMotion
Hazell
Max_powers
tubby pls.
XabiArt
Trendisnotdestiny
fucking appalled
Chakan
Drinks Sangria
Sheer Magnetism
Betty Blue
BIG DICK NICK
CleveYork (via Trend)

Randomised draft order

1. Drinks Sangria
2. fucking appalled
3. Adz LFC
4. Max_powers
5. CleveYork (via Trend)
6. Lastrador
7. Chakan
8. tubby pls.
9. Linudden
10. Betty Blue
11. XabiArt
12. Hazell
13. Trendisnotdestiny
14. BIG DICK NICK
15. PoetryInMotion
16. Sheer Magnetism

Knockout stage draw in full

Round of 16
1 Max_powers v Drinks Sangria
2 Chakan v fucking appalled
3 Adz LFC v PoetryInMotion
4 Lastrador v Hazell
5 XabiArt v tubby pls.
6 Betty Blue v Trendisnotdestiny
7 BIG DICK NICK v CleveYork
8 Linudden v Sheer Magnetism

Quarter-finals
1 Winner of Match 8 v Winner of Match 3
2 Winner of Match 6 v Winner of Match 1
3 Winner of Match 7 v Winner of Match 4
4 Winner of Match 5 v Winner of Match 2

Semi-finals
1 Winner of QF 1 v Winner of QF 4
2 Winner of QF 3 v Winner of QF 2

Final
Winner of SF 1 v Winner of SF 2
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 07:40:24 pm by Adz LFC »
I’m so glad that Jürgen is a Red…

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Ultimate Multi Club Draft
« Reply #1 on: October 9, 2021, 07:21:35 pm »
I am down

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #2 on: October 9, 2021, 07:21:45 pm »
Couple of tidbits which may help you along the way:

This concept may seem a bit extreme considering no club will be selected more than once…

But when trying to think of players/clubs - you could go through all the powerhouses of European football (plus teams from a previous era who were once successful but maybe no longer even in their own top flight? Winners of all the old European Cup competitions?), as well as legends from the likes of South America who predominantly played on their own continent and if you’re really struggling for ideas go with current stars who have maybe spent most of their years playing for a smaller club, youngsters who are the next big thing and due a move to a big club etc

It could be as much of a tactical battle as you want too - do you choose a certain player to potentially block other legends at that club? Maybe you can think of a decent journeyman who played for a whole host of clubs and it just so happens they made the most appearances for a team in the Middle East at the end of their career?

or you could put as little effort in as possible - simply think of a player you like, one you remember seeing shine during a childhood World Cup or whatever and just Google their name to see which clubs they would represent and check whether or not a particular club has been taken!

Also,

I think Adz's idea has a lot of potential as well. I would just tweak it to allow the top two number of appearances* for each player - i.e. Dalglish could be picked for Liverpool OR Celtic. That would help stretch the pool out enough to allow for a full 16 man draft. 176 players and clubs would then be needed, which I think is achieveable across all leagues, all time.

*minimum 50 games

&

Indeed, lots of great would get knocked out in round 1, but that's part of the fun? Mixing shite with quality is what made the last LFC draft so interesting. We've done the GOAT drafts to death now, we need something else.

I've been doing a bit of research on it and I don't it's all that bad when you consider all the Brazilian clubs (Ronaldinho at Gremio, Romario at Vasco, Socrates at Corinthians etc), the players who played in America (David Villa is even available for New York FC), then you've got loads of British players who qualify for smaller clubs like Moore at West Ham, Neal at Northampton Town, Shilton at Leicester, Hughes at Wolves, Charles at Leeds etc., same in Italy (Scirea at Atalanta, Cabrini at Bologna, Baggio at Brescia). Plus all the 80/90s Eastern European players who played for a long time in their home leagues.

It will get tough toward the end, but it will be something different at least.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #3 on: October 9, 2021, 07:34:32 pm »
Do we have any sort of rule regarding the selection of Messi? It's basically seen as 'the cheese rule' in many drafts. Examples of this could be that he either can't get selected at all, can't be drafted in the first round or having to sit out round 2 if drafting him? Otherwise the team that gets #1 overall will have a HUGE advantage :wave

If he can't be selected in the first round that offers all drafters the chance to take him out from the draft by selecting a Barcelona player.
Linudden.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: October 9, 2021, 07:56:46 pm »
No way am I reading through all that explanation.

In.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #5 on: October 9, 2021, 08:03:27 pm »
This is going to be a nightmare based on the length of all that.

Also in.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6 on: October 9, 2021, 08:11:43 pm »
Do we have any sort of rule regarding the selection of Messi? It's basically seen as 'the cheese rule' in many drafts. Examples of this could be that he either can't get selected at all, can't be drafted in the first round or having to sit out round 2 if drafting him? Otherwise the team that gets #1 overall will have a HUGE advantage :wave

If he can't be selected in the first round that offers all drafters the chance to take him out from the draft by selecting a Barcelona player.

What's the issue with Messi? I'd take Maradona over him personally. There will be plenty of GOATs available for the first round for everyone, not sure there's a need to ban any.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #7 on: October 9, 2021, 08:14:20 pm »
Oh well. Let Messi rip it then ;D
Linudden.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #8 on: October 9, 2021, 08:59:00 pm »
In
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #9 on: October 9, 2021, 09:34:49 pm »
Couple of questions for the draft veterans…

I’ve obviously stated a minimum of 50 competitive games played in the OP and to me that means - league games, cup games, euro cup games etc everything but friendlies basically… is that usually how you do it round here or is it only league games?

Which leads onto my second question - is there a certain website used to verify stats when it comes to appearances? I only ask this because certain sites show different values (some are league only / others do all comps)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 9, 2021, 09:39:40 pm »
Usually it's all comps although I fell foul of the league only rule in the last draft.

Don't know about one particular site but transfermarkt and Wikipedia I guess are the main ones. And LFCHistory for our players.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, as you're the Quizmaster, you can just say the final decision is yours, thus saving you the hassle of sorting all this out right now and also you'd have an excuse to go on a power trip if you wanted to.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #11 on: October 9, 2021, 09:44:52 pm »
Usually it's all comps although I fell foul of the league only rule in the last draft.

Don't know about one particular site but transfermarkt and Wikipedia I guess are the main ones. And LFCHistory for our players.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, as you're the Quizmaster, you can just say the final decision is yours, thus saving you the hassle of sorting all this out right now and also you'd have an excuse to go on a power trip if you wanted to.

You’ve literally named all of the sites I would use ;D

I’ll have to put a bit of trust into the drafters to be honest then and not try anything I wouldn’t do ;)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 9, 2021, 09:58:24 pm »
You’ve literally named all of the sites I would use ;D

I’ll have to put a bit of trust into the drafters to be honest then and not try anything I wouldn’t do ;)

Probably not the best idea :P

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13 on: October 9, 2021, 10:03:19 pm »
Couple of questions for the draft veterans…

I’ve obviously stated a minimum of 50 competitive games played in the OP and to me that means - league games, cup games, euro cup games etc everything but friendlies basically… is that usually how you do it round here or is it only league games?

Which leads onto my second question - is there a certain website used to verify stats when it comes to appearances? I only ask this because certain sites show different values (some are league only / others do all comps)

Usually with these minimum game requirements we use the right hand bar on wiki (which is league appearances only). That's the simplest and most straightforward approach IMO. Otherwise it can get a bid fiddly adding up appearance totals, since not all sites show equal data, Best to always have one prime source to prevent arguments over picks.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #14 on: October 9, 2021, 10:07:27 pm »
I’m half tempted to change it to made at least 50 competitive appearances for any club then, because other wise it’ll be even harder to police with people potentially using league only stats etc. It would be an absolute nightmare if somebody makes a pick, then 3 or 4 picks come in before we realise that a certain pick was incorrect! That could have then had a massive impact on people’s choices. At least if it’s set at 50 there can be no arguments (famous last words!)

Linudden will be pleased if we do go this route! ;D

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #15 on: October 9, 2021, 10:08:40 pm »
Usually with these minimum game requirements we use the right hand bar on wiki (which is league appearances only). That's the simplest and most straightforward approach IMO. Otherwise it can get a bid fiddly adding up appearance totals, since not all sites show equal data, Best to always have one prime source to prevent arguments over picks.

or we just do this ;D

What do the people want?!

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #16 on: October 9, 2021, 10:17:19 pm »
Right I’m going to be decisive and say let’s go with the initial plan of top 2 clubs, but instead of class it as “competitive games” I’ll refer to it as “league appearances” and we’ll use wiki as the source. If that’s how it’s usually done I’m happy with that - it’s fair, easily monitored and there can’t be any arguments.

If anybody seriously opposes this (looking at you Linudden!) we can change it, but people need to speak up beforehand :wave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2021, 01:07:30 am »
Cleveland wants in as well....

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2021, 01:19:15 am »
Drafting twice again I see.  ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2021, 03:24:50 am »
Drafting twice again I see.  ;D

Might be a third if our friend in New York who loves Mo Salah as his own wants in ---- both have received a

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2021, 09:24:15 am »
I am….but unless we smash through it tomorrow and Tuesday I’ll struggle cos I’m off to sunny Rhodes Wednesday morning
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2021, 10:08:13 am »
Rhodes seems a nice choice this time of year mate, the Eastern med really retains the warmth deep into autumn  :wave

I take it that Trend has signed someone up as proxy drafters so I guess we're already at a point where we could get underway tomorrow morning then?
Linudden.

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2021, 10:30:13 am »
Do we know if Cleveland (via Trend I assume) is a genuine option or is this a running joke?

I am….but unless we smash through it tomorrow and Tuesday I’ll struggle cos I’m off to sunny Rhodes Wednesday morning

Happy to add you if you want, just let me know

Rhodes seems a nice choice this time of year mate, the Eastern med really retains the warmth deep into autumn  :wave

I take it that Trend has signed someone up as proxy drafters so I guess we're already at a point where we could get underway tomorrow morning then?

We’re not far off a full 16 and I still haven’t heard back from everyone yet, so we’ll see if we can round up the last couple and get this show on the road! Feel free to reach out to others too :wave

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2021, 11:54:01 am »
Can I just get clarification. Any players ever but once the clubs gone it's gone for everyone.

So does Ronaldo eliminate United Sporting Real Juve or just the club hes played the most games for OR do we pick the "version" of Ronaldo. So I could have the 17 year old winger if I wanted.

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2021, 12:10:37 pm »
Can I just get clarification. Any players ever but once the clubs gone it's gone for everyone.

So does Ronaldo eliminate United Sporting Real Juve or just the club hes played the most games for OR do we pick the "version" of Ronaldo. So I could have the 17 year old winger if I wanted.

In this scenario, say Ronaldo was picked first overall he could represent either Real Madrid or Man Utd (we’re using the top two appearances on wiki - minimum of 50 games). It would be up to you, but whichever of the two teams you choose, would then be on the ineligible list.

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2021, 12:16:27 pm »
Also, it doesn’t matter which club you choose to represent a player - they will be judged at their best :wave

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2021, 12:16:58 pm »
Okay fair enough. This will be hard! So can I pick Gerrard and eliminate LA Galaxy then or do i get the 36 year old Stevie not peak.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2021, 12:17:27 pm »
You read my mind!

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2021, 12:19:06 pm »

I'll pick for you. I read a book a week so...

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2021, 12:19:43 pm »
Okay fair enough. This will be hard! So can I pick Gerrard and eliminate LA Galaxy then or do i get the 36 year old Stevie not peak.

You wouldn’t be able to choose Stevie and use LA Galaxy because he only made 34 appearances for them…

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2021, 12:21:16 pm »
So as it stands I’ve got 10 confirmed entrants (plus another 2 if “Cleveland” and appalled want in) so we’re only 4 off…

I know some are keen to get this going, so to save time when we’re all set I have a couple of questions…

Shall I randomise the draft order or will it have to be done by an independent adjudicator?

Shall I randomise a draw for the knockout stages from the last 16 straight through to the final - before anybody has picked or is that process done differently?

Also, I think I remember somebody saying draft hours were 09:00 - 22:00 UK time, with a first round limit of 4 hours, then every pick being hourly, is that right?

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2021, 12:25:55 pm »
So as it stands I’ve got 10 confirmed entrants (plus another 2 if “Cleveland” and appalled want in) so we’re only 4 off…

I know some are keen to get this going, so to save time when we’re all set I have a couple of questions…

Shall I randomise the draft order or will it have to be done by an independent adjudicator?

Shall I randomise a draw for the knockout stages from the last 16 straight through to the final - before anybody has picked or is that process done differently?

Also, I think I remember somebody saying draft hours were 09:00 - 22:00 UK time, with a first round limit of 4 hours, then every pick being hourly, is that right?

Whatever you want mate but no need for an independent adjudicator, you can randomise it yourself. Those hours sound about right so it's all good :)

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2021, 01:52:49 pm »
Whatever you want mate but no need for an independent adjudicator, you can randomise it yourself. Those hours sound about right so it's all good :)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2021, 02:13:24 pm »
Fuck off anyone who's not actually part of RAWK anymore. It's taking the piss how we let some lad who's not here anymore continue to draft with us.  I'm serious here, it's taking the absolute piss.

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2021, 02:23:16 pm »
;D

I haven’t a clue what’s going on here… split camp it seems?!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2021, 02:32:09 pm »
Fuck off anyone who's not actually part of RAWK anymore. It's taking the piss how we let some lad who's not here anymore continue to draft with us.  I'm serious here, it's taking the absolute piss.

I’m out - now

It’s people like Samie who mess everything up - time after time
Cleveland and New York are way more important members than you Samie
But I’ll take a page out of New York's book and say - you are a grown ass man, but act like an infantile rube…

I’ve had enough

Good luck Adz!

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 03:06:42 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2021, 02:38:43 pm »
Mofo  its' because of the likes of ME there's still fuckin' enthusiasm of drafts still left. Is it any wonder some of my old friends have stopped doing drafts around the time the likes of you wandered in? The likes of YOU have made it into a shit show not me.   :wanker

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2021, 02:39:46 pm »
FYI- I didn't even know about Defacto begin banned I'm talking about Claus you clown.

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2021, 02:41:58 pm »
@Hazell

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2021, 02:45:39 pm »
Mofo  its' because of the likes of ME there's still fuckin' enthusiasm of drafts still left. Is it any wonder some of my old friends have stopped doing drafts around the time the likes of you wandered in? The likes of YOU have made it into a shit show not me.   :wanker

Oh Samie - you never get the respect you so rightfully deserve -

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN: