Author Topic: Anybody here a qualified airline pilot?  (Read 6067 times)

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anybody here a qualified airline pilot?
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2022, 07:11:28 pm »
My old man was a pilot, not sure if he still actually still flies. He's 81 and he was in love with it so don't want to mention if it's a sore point.

He was a glider instructor.
Nah.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2022, 09:20:16 am »
My cousin is a pilot (captain I think).   He was in the ATC from an early age,  was super smart (A levels at 16) and the RAF then paid for his degree.   He had to sign up for a certain amount of years and then went down the commercial route

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2022, 05:34:40 pm »
Recently I thought I would take some lessons just for fun, not with a reason of getting a PPL but just for the fun of it

It's a totally different experience, I'm ex RAF but not as a pilot. The single engine part didn't scare me until I adjusted the throttle one time and pushed instead of pulled.

I put the thrittle into flight idle and the whole thing went quiet just for a milli second I then pulled the throttle out and and the engine came back to life thankfully

just take alesson at the nearest flight school and see how you like it

I decided i just didn't love it and dumped taking lessons

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2022, 06:04:57 pm »
You may not believe this but yes .

Possibly the best post ever on here…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2022, 06:28:50 pm »
Possibly the best post ever on here…
It's good but not as good as the Baldrick thread.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2022, 06:43:08 pm »
It's good but not as good as the Baldrick thread.
I love Kesey… but imagine him being your pilot ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2022, 06:45:45 pm »

I used to buy weed off a guy who was a helicopter pilot who flew people to and from the oil rigs. He very much wasn't just a dealer, a heavy participant as well. Not your average stoner.

Put me off ever going offshore (luckily/unluckily for me, I can't go offshore anyway due to medical condition anyway).

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2022, 06:53:49 pm »
I'm sure he would get you high, like   ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2022, 08:29:23 pm »
I used to buy weed off a guy who was a helicopter pilot who flew people to and from the oil rigs. He very much wasn't just a dealer, a heavy participant as well. Not your average stoner.

Put me off ever going offshore (luckily/unluckily for me, I can't go offshore anyway due to medical condition anyway).

You can’t swim?

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2022, 12:54:56 pm »
Thanks for the responses, and the mods for merging with the older thread. Completely forgot there was one, even though I posted in it.

Reading it back, the costs in the UK (and Oz + S. Africa) are far too high, wonder if they've come down a little with the shortage in pilots post Covid, the USA is suffering from that as well from what I've read. Luckily other regions of the world aren't so expensive.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 12:57:16 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2022, 12:56:58 pm »
No

Thanks, hope that helped

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2022, 02:47:41 pm »
Just curious...anyone here a pilot? Commercial or private.

Thinking of getting a private pilot license for a bit of fun (yes I just watched Top Gun: Maverick ;D, different level though, somehow flying a single engine aircraft inverted doesn't feel like the greatest of ideas). Where I'm based now (south east asia) I've looked at the pathway, looks straightforward enough, I'm interested in the learning process for anyone here who went through it or does it for a living now, time it took to confidently take off and land on single engine aircrafts, getting comfortable with the controls etc.

So far I've got a couple of hours on a flight simulator and have watched youtube vids on how the surfaces...rudder, aileron, elevator, and then flaps work, operating them. Clearly well on my way haha.

Loving the date this was posted.  I hear South Florida is good for newbies!  8)

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2022, 03:50:18 pm »
Loving the date this was posted.  I hear South Florida is good for newbies!  8)

;D
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2022, 06:09:50 pm »
yeah I clocked that after posting it, but kept it since it's a UK centric forum.