Author Topic: Race Across The World (BBC Two)  (Read 8278 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Race Across The World (BBC Two)
« on: April 19, 2020, 11:10:32 pm »
I know we are only one episode away from the finale of the second series but thought this show deserved its own thread. Its the best show currently on TV.

Anyone who hasnt watched it, make sure you catch it on iPlayer.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Race Across The World (BBC Two)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 11:38:49 pm »
This Jen in the current series is an absolute twat. How her fella puts up with her is beyond me. Verging on abuse.

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 08:25:47 am »
Interesting concept but I’ve never met a bunch of more irritating people in my life

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 09:50:49 am »
This Jen in the current series is an absolute twat. How her fella puts up with her is beyond me. Verging on abuse.
Agreed. She moans constantly and I reckon he'd ditch her if she wasn't a crutch for him!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 10:09:39 am »
I think this is brilliant TV. I am watching a week behind, but I think it is great.

I really like the Asian lads, the young one particularly impresses me as he's looking to get as much experience as he can, and his uncle is supporting him through it all. All while looking to reconnect, as a family split, particularly as they are an uncle and nephew that are probably closer to brothers in both age and the nature of their relationship. I hope they win.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 10:14:15 am »
I watched it last year when they travelled through Europe/Asia.

Watched the first two episodes so far, pretty good so far and I'm rooting for the Mother & Son team.

That Army dude who lost that money, his persona before and after that happened was startling.  ;D

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:16:20 am by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 10:26:29 am »
I watched it last year when they travelled through Europe/Asia.

Watched the first two episodes so far, pretty good so far and I'm rooting for the Mother & Son team.

That Army dude who lost that money, his persona before and after that happened was startling.  ;D

I don't mind the mother and son. Ahead a bit of an enabler for his behaviour, but then again he obviously had his issues, and he is pretty self aware when he does go off on one.

I want to know what they will do next? UK to Singapore and now South America. What other big adventure can you do, maybe UK to South Africa but then again parts of Africa may be too dangerous for it.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 10:51:05 am »
I don't mind the mother and son. Ahead a bit of an enabler for his behaviour, but then again he obviously had his issues, and he is pretty self aware when he does go off on one.

I want to know what they will do next? UK to Singapore and now South America. What other big adventure can you do, maybe UK to South Africa but then again parts of Africa may be too dangerous for it.
I can see Africa being next.

Maybe avoid Somalia and Libya which are still dangerous, Start off in Africa at Morocco and  go down down the western part which is  pretty calm, no civil wars in Liberia, Angolo now.

South Africa is pretty dangerous for crime though but they ventured through El Salvador this season which is pretty dangerous with the Mexican Cartels affiliated gangs there.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:54:51 am by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 11:11:39 am »
I can see Africa being next.

Maybe avoid Somalia and Libya which are still dangerous, Start off in Africa at Morocco and  go down down the western part which is  pretty calm, no civil wars in Liberia, Angolo now.

South Africa is pretty dangerous for crime though but they ventured through El Salvador this season which is pretty dangerous with the Mexican Cartels affiliated gangs there.

Yeah Africa will likely be next. Maybe America (say Alaska to Florida)

I don't think you would have seen it yet but it does get pretty hairy in South America in this for a few people.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 12:09:40 pm »
Yeah Africa will likely be next. Maybe America (say Alaska to Florida)

I don't think you would have seen it yet but it does get pretty hairy in South America in this for a few people.

Isnt America’s transport system too developed for this show? Plus them all speaking English makes it easy.

Guaranteed the next one is Africa.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 11:24:34 pm »
I think this is brilliant TV. I am watching a week behind, but I think it is great.

I really like the Asian lads, the young one particularly impresses me as he's looking to get as much experience as he can, and his uncle is supporting him through it all. All while looking to reconnect, as a family split, particularly as they are an uncle and nephew that are probably closer to brothers in both age and the nature of their relationship. I hope they win.

Yep. Hope they win too. Jen comes across as vile. Can't open her trap without getting a dig in at her fella. The brother and sister are annoying as fuck an all. Great show.
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 08:32:37 pm »
My 9 year old Sam loves this show and he's learning quite a bit both geographical and cultural. And he can't stand Jen either, she just moans all the time, dad. She's pathetic.

He wants Sam to win, he seems to be in it for the right reasons. I was envious of him going on the Escobar tour.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 08:41:36 pm »
I know we are only one episode away from the finale of the second series but thought this show deserved its own thread. Its the best show currently on TV.

Anyone who hasnt watched it, make sure you catch it on iPlayer.

For once i agree with you, it has been great TV
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 11:11:14 pm »
I don't dislike anyone of the contestants. Any of them would be decent winners.

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 07:22:38 am »
Jen is letting the racing get to her too much, when she slows down and enjoys the journey she seems friendlier. If you take it too much as a race you'll just be cranky all the time, she also seems the most paranoid. If she doesn't win then she won't have got the same amount of experiences out of it as the other contestants.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 09:09:00 am »
I don't dislike anyone of the contestants. Any of them would be decent winners.

Yep I think they are all ok, some nicer than others.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 11:01:22 am »
Yeah. Can't see the mum and son winning. It's between the first two teams.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 11:02:04 am »
I agree. Whenever this type of programme involving the public are on, there's usually people that will dismiss them all as irritating without bothering to listen to them, who they are and their motivations for getting involved.
I think in the main they come across as decent people. That said, its a great opportunity for some subsidised travelling, South America looks amazing. I'm just surprised it took them so long to blag free stuff and hitch lifts.

There must have been loads of filming recently in the region though. One week, this, Tony Robinson and Simon Reeve were covering pretty much the same patch.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 12:55:23 pm »
Have not enjoyed it as much as the first series but keep watching because of Lizzie  :lickin

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 01:07:21 pm »
Yeah. Can't see the mum and son winning. It's between the first two teams.
I’m sure the mum said in the previous episode that she knew someone who either owned or worked on a farm in Argentina. Wouldn’t surprise me if they rocked up at said farm and got a lift to the final checkpoint. Their budget is too low to be able to get past the first two teams.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 11:11:14 pm »
I’m sure the mum said in the previous episode that she knew someone who either owned or worked on a farm in Argentina. Wouldn’t surprise me if they rocked up at said farm and got a lift to the final checkpoint. Their budget is too low to be able to get past the first two teams.

I think her uncle once had a farm in Argentina but I dont believe this family they are staying with are any acquaintance. Would be fun if they did get a lift most of the way.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2020, 08:08:19 pm »
Ah bugger. Gutted for Jo and Sam.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2020, 10:16:45 pm »
best pair won in my opinion and giving half the prize money to help people especially the street kids in South America is commendable
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2020, 10:26:21 pm »
That was great.

White privilege got Dom and Lizzie to the end. Lizzie basically sorted out a hitch every time she stood next to the road.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2020, 10:29:40 pm »
Absolutely incredible final, having it so close at the end.

Brilliant TV.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 10:30:02 pm »
That was great.

White privilege got Dom and Lizzie to the end. Lizzie basically sorted out a hitch every time she stood next to the road.
Or maybe it was the two cameras, sound man and production team that were standing out of shot?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2020, 12:01:31 am »
Jen and Rob blew it when they chose to do work and didn’t need to in the end. Lost a days travel. Glad the two lads won.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2020, 07:26:37 am »
Brilliant how they’ve given the money to charity but future series they’re gonna have to take ipods etc off them. Each team should start with the same backpacks for example. Otherwise its not fair. Only got onto this programme during lockdown watched both series. Need something else like it
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2020, 10:44:12 am »
I've started watching the first series and now all I can think about is doing an over-land trip from London to Singapore.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2020, 11:30:25 am »
Crazy ending, glad it was them that won. Wonder if the production crews got excited when they all met in that bus station.

Or maybe it was the two cameras, sound man and production team that were standing out of shot?

There are loads of hitchhikers in Patagonia, so not that strange they got picked up, but maybe how quickly it happened.

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2020, 11:31:07 am »
Brilliant how they’ve given the money to charity but future series they’re gonna have to take ipods etc off them. Each team should start with the same backpacks for example. Otherwise its not fair. Only got onto this programme during lockdown watched both series. Need something else like it

Yep I was surprised they were allowed to use the ipods as currency. I'm sure the rules will need to be clarified for future series otherwise the contestants will all be blinged up with expensive watches, jewellery and gold fillings etc. I don't think they should be allowed to abandon their backpacks either. I suspect the priority of the production team was to have a nail biting race at the very end and were happy to turn a blind eye to certain things that were outside the spirit of the contest to get it. ( And to be fair it was exciting) I was also unsure how the uncle and nephew  paid to get the final bus when they'd already handed over all their cash and their ipods to get the taxi ? Hmmm. )

Having said that, I suppose there are always going to be certain compromises for this type if show and overall I absolutely loved it. ( The backstory, personal journey stuff got really tiresome though. I'd have preferred it if the producers could let things develop naturally rather than concentrate on the pre-determined personal journey narratives that were established long before they even set off. 'We want to win cos it'll help us grow our relationship'. Ugh  )

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2020, 10:13:01 pm »
Well she can't buy that brown toilet she was hankering after!

That was great. Sam was literally stood up edging closer to the TV as the last chase ensued.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2020, 11:10:04 pm »
Great show. Great ending. Actually shed a tear when the two lads that won (who I was rooting for) said they'd donate half the winnings. Where next?
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2020, 01:26:13 am »
The backstory, personal journey stuff got really tiresome though. I'd have preferred it if the producers could let things develop naturally rather than concentrate on the pre-determined personal journey narratives that were established long before they even set off. 'We want to win cos it'll help us grow our relationship'. Ugh  )

Yeah agree with that, great show but this was massively overdone, particularly with Dom and Lizzie. Show more of the places or just cut it down to 45 mins

Best pair won imo. Jen was awful, if a bloke treated their partner like she does OFCOM would be bombarded.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2020, 08:45:10 pm »
Finished it this afternoon.

What a season it was, way better than last year, seemed more personal with the backstories of some of the contestants.

Favourite moment this season was all the teams bar the cousin and Uncle getting on the boat when the next boat was the next day, and them not being to arsed, went and got a job snorkling and still won the leg.  ;D

Deserved winners who won, i heard they gave half the prize money to a Brazilian homeless charity.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 1, 2020, 10:37:13 am »
Just downloading season 1.

Fair play to the winners of this one for giving the money to charity. Actually thought the brother and sister were going to snatch victory until they had to hitchhike whilst others got taxi's.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 3, 2020, 12:07:01 pm »
Was wondering why there was another show of this tonight. It's a reunion show of this year's contestants.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2023, 09:00:30 pm »
Back next week. Enjoyed the first one. Would love to do this

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2023, 09:05:32 am »
can't wait to watch this....wish i could do it
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2023, 09:07:14 am »
Back next week. Enjoyed the first one. Would love to do this

Hasn't there been two? One to Singapore(?) and one down through Central and South America

Looking forward to the new series!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks