Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1399492 times)

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #14000 on: April 24, 2024, 10:02:16 pm »
Absolute defensive liability.

Yeah but, yeah but, yeah but...

As usual probably the worst defending you'll ever see from a corner. I'd much rather he stand on the halfway line when we're defending corners.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14001 on: April 24, 2024, 10:02:57 pm »
He doesn’t want to play at right back so he’s very half arsed in everything he does defensively. As good as he is on the ball, and he’s sublime, it’s a massive problem off it.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #14002 on: April 24, 2024, 10:03:53 pm »
He has no interest in defending, its similar to somebody who does something poorly on purpose so they're never asked to do it again.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14003 on: April 24, 2024, 10:04:04 pm »
A scouser putting in a performance like that in a derby. Fucking hell just watches as DCL has a free run for the goal. Lean into him give him a elbow to the ribs do something for fuck sake.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14004 on: April 24, 2024, 10:05:32 pm »
Probably the biggest question for a new manager, what do you do with a player who just won’t defend.

Offline Bucko - Dubai

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14005 on: April 24, 2024, 10:07:50 pm »
He doesn’t want to play at right back so he’s very half arsed in everything he does defensively. As good as he is on the ball, and he’s sublime, it’s a massive problem off it.

Sums it up. He doesn't enjoy defending.

Can only hope the new manager gets him out of defense.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14006 on: April 24, 2024, 10:09:17 pm »
He's also vice captain, you expect more, did he win any duels?

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #14007 on: April 24, 2024, 10:10:00 pm »
Thought he'd make an excellent wing back if we'd gone down that root. But it doesn't appear to be Slots style. Just not at the races today at either end.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #14008 on: April 24, 2024, 10:10:49 pm »
He looks like he’s given up over the last few weeks, and to be honest he’s sounded like it in interviews too. Not good at all.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14009 on: April 24, 2024, 10:11:20 pm »
He's also vice captain, you expect more, did he win any duels?

Not good enough tonight. Expect a lot more from the Scouser in our team on derby day.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #14010 on: April 24, 2024, 10:17:25 pm »
But this attitude to defense wont work in CM either.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14011 on: April 24, 2024, 10:19:48 pm »
Arne Slot transitioning him into a midfielder would be a wise move to begin with. Something fresh for the player and the team.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #14012 on: April 24, 2024, 10:20:20 pm »
He'll be a Madrid player next season. Last summer it was Trent trying to convince Bellingham to come here. This summer it will be Bellingham convincing Trent to go to Madrid.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14013 on: April 24, 2024, 10:20:33 pm »
He can't play on the same wing with Mo.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14014 on: April 24, 2024, 10:23:05 pm »
The new manager will have to make an important decision on his future. I don't think he will get a free reign to come inside ( Midfield) whenever he wants.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #14015 on: April 24, 2024, 10:26:01 pm »
Someone ghosted past him at one point, literally like he wasn’t there. Liability in defence and seriously needs to be played somewhere else. Won’t press, so is the type of player who would need a midfield remoulding around him if we really want to play him that badly. Maybe part of a defensive 5. Needs someone close who will do the dirty work.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14016 on: April 24, 2024, 10:28:29 pm »
Probably the biggest question for a new manager, what do you do with a player who just won’t defend.

The odd part is that he almost now seems to exude the idea that I'm in the team for offense - don't want to mess that up by having to defend.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #14017 on: April 24, 2024, 10:28:39 pm »
He needs to be played in this right centre mid spot. He clearly doesn’t want to do any sort of defending.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14018 on: April 24, 2024, 10:28:52 pm »
One minute I'm like he's a genius with the ball, keep at all costs, sign the deal, the other I'm like it's really hard to constantly have someone who has absolutely zero interest in doing any defensive stuff.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14019 on: April 24, 2024, 10:35:44 pm »
He needs to be played in this right centre mid spot. He clearly doesn’t want to do any sort of defending.

Yeah 8s don’t need to track runners, press, make tackles when dribbled at or intercept the ball. So he’ll be fine there.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14020 on: April 24, 2024, 10:37:37 pm »
One minute I'm like he's a genius with the ball, keep at all costs, sign the deal, the other I'm like it's really hard to constantly have someone who has absolutely zero interest in doing any defensive stuff.

Honestly, what do you even do with him at this point? One of the most gifted footballers to have played for us in recent memory, capable of winning matches on his own, and we'll not see anyone as talented in a red shirt for a long time I suspect. But that's how many years now of consistently inconsistent defensive effort.. It's not that he can't do it, he just won't. It's infuriating.

He very evidently does not want to be a RB anymore - I don't care what he says in interviews, the proof is in the performances. Problem is, playing in midfield doesn't magically absolve you of defensive workload either. He's either a game-changer or a luxury we can't afford, and whilst he's the former 70% of the time, that other 30% is costly to the point of wondering if the whole thing is worthwhile.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14021 on: April 24, 2024, 10:38:40 pm »
Would have interesting to see how Klopp would have slotted him back into the squad had Conor Bradley still been fit.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14022 on: April 24, 2024, 10:45:02 pm »
He's off to Real Madrid.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14023 on: April 24, 2024, 10:51:55 pm »
He's off to Real Madrid.

Bring us Vinicius Junior in exchange.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14024 on: April 24, 2024, 10:53:05 pm »
He literally won us a game the other day

He's off to Real Madrid.

Got a feeling he will be off too

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14025 on: April 24, 2024, 10:54:04 pm »

He wouldn’t want to come here.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14026 on: April 24, 2024, 10:58:06 pm »
Honestly, what do you even do with him at this point? One of the most gifted footballers to have played for us in recent memory, capable of winning matches on his own, and we'll not see anyone as talented in a red shirt for a long time I suspect. But that's how many years now of consistently inconsistent defensive effort.. It's not that he can't do it, he just won't. It's infuriating.

He very evidently does not want to be a RB anymore - I don't care what he says in interviews, the proof is in the performances. Problem is, playing in midfield doesn't magically absolve you of defensive workload either. He's either a game-changer or a luxury we can't afford, and whilst he's the former 70% of the time, that other 30% is costly to the point of wondering if the whole thing is worthwhile.

It's tough, I have no idea!  ;D Infuriating is right, would be much more easy to tolerate if he tried but was just shit at it, and like you say going in to midfield doesn't change the problem, just moves it to a different area.

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #14027 on: April 24, 2024, 11:02:57 pm »
He cannot start next season as part of the defence.

We need to be looking to make Bradley first choice and signing someone to be backup to him.

No idea what we do with Trent though - I just can't see where he fits that gets the maximum out of him if he can't perform the basics of defending properly.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #14028 on: April 24, 2024, 11:15:31 pm »
Remember that he's entering his final year of his current contract next season. I don't see him being a one team career player.

The club really needs to get an idea with him quickly and hope that he sees a future here. Because if not then there will be money to be made from him

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #14029 on: April 24, 2024, 11:28:38 pm »
We've been letting shite goals in for a while and he hasn't been in the side.

He comes back from injury and it's an instant lampooning of his defensive abilities, like he never left.

They've all been fucking a it.

Probably gave up after splitting the entire team in half with a killer pass which Nunez absolutely fumbled on the edge of the box.
:D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14030 on: April 24, 2024, 11:30:31 pm »
Slot plays with his full backs pressing high up. Time to make Trent either a midfielder full time or sell him.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14031 on: April 24, 2024, 11:30:47 pm »
We've been letting shite goals in for a while and he hasn't been in the side.

He comes back from injury and it's an instant lampooning of his defensive abilities, like he never left.

They've all been fucking a it.

Probably gave up after splitting the entire team in half with a killer pass which Nunez absolutely fumbled on the edge of the box.

We looked better with Bradley in his position both attacking and defending though. Trent has been very poor since his return free kick at Fulham aside.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #14032 on: April 24, 2024, 11:33:00 pm »
We looked better with Bradley in his position both attacking and defending though. Trent has been very poor since his return free kick at Fulham aside.
He played some brilliant passes tonight that should have led to goals. He did get beaten once or twice more easily than he should have but he’s made a difference in what we’ve created lately. We’re just not putting enough of our chances away
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14033 on: April 24, 2024, 11:33:10 pm »
He did well against Fulham and Atalanta.  His weaknesses are well publicised and the new guy's job is to mask them and let the emphasis be on his strengths.

Against Fulham, he had more cover but when him and Mo play, there's zero balance now.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14034 on: April 24, 2024, 11:38:14 pm »

Why would Vini Jr. take a step down? Play alongside Mbappe or Nunez. Tough choice  😁
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14035 on: April 25, 2024, 12:48:07 am »
If Trent is off to Real Madrid, Rodrygo might be the attainable forward option. 

They will add Mbappe and Endrick in summer, so Rodrygo’s minutes might be hit. He is fast, versatile, scores goals, and would help to fill a Mo Salah shaped hole when that opens up.

I agree that Trent is a conundrum. So good on the ball and so much talent and vision. But the downside is what we all see, as the defensive aspect isn’t quite there. That applies whether he is on the right or in midfield. You need to be defensively switched on in either role.

Arguably he could do well in a double pivot in 4231, but the other player will need to be defensively very solid to give Trent a modicum of freedom as more of a deep lying playmaker. But it still feels like we are making a compromise in some ways.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 12:54:13 am by G Richards »

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14036 on: April 25, 2024, 02:08:07 am »
I’m honestly shocked by some who would willingly just swap him for another player.

Blows my mind.

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #14037 on: April 25, 2024, 03:06:22 am »
Trent needs a new position. I wonder if he could be the right-sided attacking midfielder in an orthodox 4-2-3-1? Play it like Gerrard did. The club needs to sign Trent this summer, and I hope Slot can find a better position for him. The defensive lapses diminish his otherwise remarkable play.   

Online Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #14038 on: April 25, 2024, 04:50:35 am »
He'll be a Madrid player next season. Last summer it was Trent trying to convince Bellingham to come here. This summer it will be Bellingham convincing Trent to go to Madrid.

Doubt there would be much convincing going on to be honest. Go to Real to play with Valverde, Bellingham, Mbappe etc. and win La Liga and CLs, not many would say no to that.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #14039 on: April 25, 2024, 04:56:26 am »
Is the answer him playing midfield I wonder? I don't see it making his defensive performance any better or any less needed. And his long, lower percentage passing is a definite asset, but he doesn't have a great short passing ability under a press.

I am glad that this experiment with making him free to become a 4th midfielder may be ending. The sacrifice to wing attack and wing defence isn't worth the trade off in my opinion.

His long passing is wonderful. I hope the new manager can find a solution to get more of the good from him and less of the poor. I personally think that is as an attacking fullback but who knows.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock