Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1052101 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #15560 on: December 1, 2020, 04:26:24 am »
I had purchased some items for which due to supply issues the company cannot fulfill now due to covid. They told me two weeks they would refund me and last week I was told to wait five working days for the refund. I'm still waiting & they won't answer my calls. What's my options now?

How did you pay? Do you have another form of contact other than phone, ie email?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15561 on: December 1, 2020, 04:55:05 am »
How did you pay? Do you have another form of contact other than phone, ie email?
Bank transfer with reference for quote used.
No response to emails. The owner text me yesterday evening to say they would look into it.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15562 on: December 1, 2020, 07:03:16 am »
Bank transfer with reference for quote used.
No response to emails. The owner text me yesterday evening to say they would look into it.

Ah, you may be fucked if bank transfer as will be a pain in the arse to chase them down for it.

Keep on at them, threaten trading standards, threaten a call to the police even (they likely wouldn’t do anything but may scare the company enough).

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15563 on: December 1, 2020, 09:27:33 am »
Ah, you may be fucked if bank transfer as will be a pain in the arse to chase them down for it.

Keep on at them, threaten trading standards, threaten a call to the police even (they likely wouldn’t do anything but may scare the company enough).
I have a copy of the date from my end when transfer was done & notification via email when they had received payment if that helps as well as the invoice.

I'll look into trading standards. Difficult to say anything to them directly as they won't answer my calls.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15564 on: December 1, 2020, 09:36:07 am »
I have a copy of the date from my end when transfer was done & notification via email when they had received payment if that helps as well as the invoice.

I'll look into trading standards. Difficult to say anything to them directly as they won't answer my calls.
Trading Standards won't get you a refund, or tackle your specific case for you. But by letting them know, and if other people complain about this seller as well, then they can choose to take action against them.

It's tricky to get a refund where there's no specific mechanism in place (such as ebay's guarantee) and the seller refuses to answer. Try Citizens Advice if you have no reply from them at all. But covid has made all this much more difficult.

I don't know how much your item cost, and I know this doesn't help you in this instance, but if you are buying anything that costs more than £100 (i.e £100.01p or more) then always pay by credit card, as under Section 75 of the CCA the credit card company becomes jointly liable to you for the correct fulfilmnt of the transaction, and will refund you if the original seller is mucking you about. Even if you pay just the deposit or even just 1p of the total cost on credit card they are liable for the full amount.

Good luck
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15565 on: December 1, 2020, 09:48:38 am »
Trading Standards won't get you a refund, or tackle your specific case for you. But by letting them know, and if other people complain about this seller as well, then they can choose to take action against them.

It's tricky to get a refund where there's no specific mechanism in place (such as ebay's guarantee) and the seller refuses to answer. Try Citizens Advice if you have no reply from them at all. But covid has made all this much more difficult.

I don't know how much your item cost, and I know this doesn't help you in this instance, but if you are buying anything that costs more than £100 (i.e £100.01p or more) then always pay by credit card, as under Section 75 of the CCA the credit card company becomes jointly liable to you for the correct fulfilmnt of the transaction, and will refund you if the original seller is mucking you about. Even if you pay just the deposit or even just 1p of the total cost on credit card they are liable for the full amount.

Good luck
Cheers mate.

The items came to around £200-250. Just tried again this morning. No answer.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15566 on: December 1, 2020, 10:21:56 am »
How long does a bank transfer from a business account take?

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15567 on: December 1, 2020, 10:35:53 am »
How long does a bank transfer from a business account take?

Depends how they've done it. Faster Payments and BACS are usually same day. CHAPS are usually slower.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15568 on: December 1, 2020, 10:47:46 am »
Depends how they've done it. Faster Payments and BACS are usually same day. CHAPS are usually slower.
Cheers!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15569 on: December 1, 2020, 08:29:30 pm »

BACS are pretty much instant these days. CHAPS will be about 3 days.

If they are answering emails then keep emailing them. If your email does read receipts then use those. Send a letter recorded delivery (signed for) if they are failing to answer anything else making sure they are aware this is a last resort before trading standards, police, their bank, etc are informed.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15570 on: December 2, 2020, 10:42:15 am »
All sorted. Got my refund back this morning. Thanks lads.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #15571 on: December 2, 2020, 11:30:27 pm »
U.K.based.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a small flathead screwdriver for tightening up my glasses.

I've got a 1.0mm flathead already, but it's too big. So I'm after 0.9 or 0.8 flathead. Or something in that neck of the woods.

I don't necessarily want a 32 piece kit, either. Just a one off screwee if possible, or small 6 piece kit if I must.

Been looking for one for ages.  Not even sure they make them.

That said. The screw heads are that small, so someone must make one.

Ta laa's

Buy some classy Christmas Crackers. They usually have them.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15572 on: December 3, 2020, 07:55:46 am »
Buy some classy Christmas Crackers. They usually have them.

Have you opened them all early to check?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15573 on: December 3, 2020, 08:00:18 am »
Have you opened them all early to check?

Open one end, take out all the gifts, find the best ones, make sure you get that cracker, cheat to win, no one ever knows.

I may or may not have done this as a kid.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15574 on: December 3, 2020, 12:34:12 pm »
With my laptop I logged out of hangouts & can't log back into it? Any suggestions? Couldn't see answer online.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15575 on: December 3, 2020, 12:46:35 pm »
Anybody well versed in the art of ebay?

I'm after an item. £70ish. Christmas present, so ideally needs to arrive in time. It is being sold by two stores, same price and same delivery estimate of the 15th if free or the 9th if using paid courier. One says the item is located in Manchester and the other in Lancashire. But both stores are stated as being based in China and are relatively close together by Chinese standards.

I've sent a message to one of the stores asking if the item really is located in the UK. But do the delivery estimates seem too long for that to be the case? I don't know if I should trust being told they are in Manchester/Lancashire. And if I'm told no, should I risk it for an item of this value? It's also massive in size for what that matters.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15576 on: December 3, 2020, 12:49:07 pm »
The stores will be based there but they'll likely be getting it drop shipped directly from China.

I've ordered a couple of quite large machines from eBay, which came from China, and delivery was pretty quick in both cases. However I imagine there are also plenty of horror stories too. Do either company have feedback for previous sales of that item you can use to judge the risk?

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15577 on: December 3, 2020, 12:51:18 pm »

I'm after an item. £70ish. Christmas present, so ideally needs to arrive in time. It is being sold by two stores, same price and same delivery estimate of the 15th if free or the 9th if using paid courier. One says the item is located in Manchester and the other in Lancashire. But both stores are stated as being based in China and are relatively close together by Chinese standards.

I've sent a message to one of the stores asking if the item really is located in the UK. But do the delivery estimates seem too long for that to be the case? I don't know if I should trust being told they are in Manchester/Lancashire. And if I'm told no, should I risk it for an item of this value? It's also massive in size for what that matters.

Orders from China are so backed up at the moment I personally wouldn't risk it if it categorically has to be a Christmas prezzy. Sound like the sellers are located here and they're ordering direct from China for you.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #15578 on: December 3, 2020, 01:26:27 pm »

Yes , I sell on ebay and personally wouldn't trust buying from them if you need it before Christmas . Obviously years ago people were just asking for stuff UK based  only in the search engine on ebay so the Chinese sellers started saying they were in Leeds/Manchester or Liverpool so they weren't taken out of the search .
The chances of it being over here are very slim but a few do have dedicated warehouses in this country but not many
The other problem at the moment is that Royal Mail are absolutely clogged up and are between 2 to 7 days so even if it did get over here then you may still not get it

I wouldn't worry about the value though as you will be covered by the ebay money back guarantee

Is it a dildo ?
« Last Edit: December 3, 2020, 01:28:30 pm by Jono69 »
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15579 on: December 3, 2020, 01:47:35 pm »
Is it a dildo ?
A £70 dildo? Just sit on the washing machine.

Obviously not in a public laundrette

Unless that's your thing, of course
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #15580 on: December 3, 2020, 01:48:52 pm »
A £70 dildo? Just sit on the washing machine.

Obviously not in a public laundrette

Unless that's your thing, of course

Might be a selection of dildo's in a nice presentation box  :)
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15581 on: December 3, 2020, 01:53:15 pm »
I've now found the item for sale on three other stores, all the same price and delivery estimate again. And all in Manchester/Lancashire again. All five stores opened March-April time. Even the amazon listing is China too. I wish I had noticed before agreeing this is what we would buy. Especially as I talked us round from buying an alternative through wowcher because I thought that would be too much of a faff. I'll have to see how bothered they would be if it turned up after christmas and decide what to do depending on that.

And no, it is not a dildo. Are they sold on ebay?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15582 on: December 3, 2020, 01:57:03 pm »

Yes , I sell on ebay

Seems so.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #15583 on: December 3, 2020, 01:58:53 pm »
I've now found the item for sale on three other stores, all the same price and delivery estimate again. And all in Manchester/Lancashire again. All five stores opened March-April time. Even the amazon listing is China too. I wish I had noticed before agreeing this is what we would buy. Especially as I talked us round from buying an alternative through wowcher because I thought that would be too much of a faff. I'll have to see how bothered they would be if it turned up after christmas and decide what to do depending on that.

A lot of the Chinese stores open March/April every year on ebay  and then shut down in January and rinse and repeat . Mental how much stuff they sell for 99p as well

And the other problem is you may end up paying a hefty customs charge with it being the value it is

« Last Edit: December 3, 2020, 02:03:27 pm by Jono69 »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15584 on: December 3, 2020, 02:14:04 pm »

The wowchers one was probably the same seller and from China too. Missus ordered a Sherpa Hoodie for the lad off Amazon, turned out that was coming from China, but they cancelled the order. We then ordered one via a wowcher deal and that ended up coming from China.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15585 on: December 3, 2020, 02:23:38 pm »
A lot of the Chinese stores open March/April every year on ebay  and then shut down in January and rinse and repeat . Mental how much stuff they sell for 99p as well

And the other problem is you may end up paying a hefty customs charge with it being the value it is
Mum is the worst for cheap Chinese tat. I keep telling her. Which is partly why I'm so annoyed at not spotting it myself. Though it doesn't feel like a win having done so before the order was placed rather than afterwards because now I'm stuck for an item again and deciding has already caused a drama. I miss the days when christmas was sorted by circling an Argos catalogue.

Hopefully the mere possibility of a customs charge will help me get them to change their mind again. And I'll just have to take the fallout of suggesting this item in the first place on the chin.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #15586 on: December 3, 2020, 03:31:04 pm »
Mum is the worst for cheap Chinese tat. I keep telling her. Which is partly why I'm so annoyed at not spotting it myself. Though it doesn't feel like a win having done so before the order was placed rather than afterwards because now I'm stuck for an item again and deciding has already caused a drama. I miss the days when christmas was sorted by circling an Argos catalogue.

Hopefully the mere possibility of a customs charge will help me get them to change their mind again. And I'll just have to take the fallout of suggesting this item in the first place on the chin.

My Dad buys from China but personally can't be bothered as if we need something we need it straight away. Is it a presentation box of dildo's like some pervert suggested earlier ?

In saying that what does the delivery say from Amazon as they are usually fairly accurate

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15587 on: December 3, 2020, 04:08:59 pm »
My Dad buys from China but personally can't be bothered as if we need something we need it straight away. Is it a presentation box of dildo's like some pervert suggested earlier ?

In saying that what does the delivery say from Amazon as they are usually fairly accurate
Free standard delivery is the only option with Amazon; 8th-11th December. eBay was 9th if paying or 15th if not.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #15588 on: December 3, 2020, 04:11:40 pm »
Free standard delivery is the only option with Amazon; 8th-11th December. eBay was 9th if paying or 15th if not.

Is it delivered via Amazon or is it coming direct from China do you know as quite a few of the Chinese sellers keep stock at the Amazon warehouses

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15589 on: December 3, 2020, 04:39:42 pm »

With a delivery time like that (next week!) I doubt its coming from China. Ordered a few things from there recently, they take two or more weeks.

Can you contact the sellers and ask? No answer from a seller wouldn't be a good indication.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15590 on: December 3, 2020, 04:40:22 pm »
Is it delivered via Amazon or is it coming direct from China do you know as quite a few of the Chinese sellers keep stock at the Amazon warehouses
Says dispatched from and sold by seller. As opposed to saying dispatched from and sold by Amazon. Both the business address and customer service address is China.

I've sent them a message anyway, see what they come back with. Though if it takes them as long to respond as it takes to get the cheap tat through the post, I might have bought something else by the time I have my answer.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #15591 on: December 3, 2020, 04:47:21 pm »
Says dispatched from and sold by seller. As opposed to saying dispatched from and sold by Amazon. Both the business address and customer service address is China.

I've sent them a message anyway, see what they come back with. Though if it takes them as long to respond as it takes to get the cheap tat through the post, I might have bought something else by the time I have my answer.

The issue with dates they can literally put anything down and it's not really clamped down on . It's specifically bad on ebay . At the moment when we sell something I send a message saying it will be between 2 to 10 days with Royal Mail as some areas seem shockingly bad in the UK . We have had to move all parcels away from them and use everyone's favourites myhermes who in fairness to them are getting majority to the customer within 2 days

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15592 on: December 3, 2020, 05:39:51 pm »
The issue with dates they can literally put anything down and it's not really clamped down on . It's specifically bad on ebay . At the moment when we sell something I send a message saying it will be between 2 to 10 days with Royal Mail as some areas seem shockingly bad in the UK . We have had to move all parcels away from them and use everyone's favourites myhermes who in fairness to them are getting majority to the customer within 2 days
The hermes man who does my area is sound. Never had a problem with that courier myself, even though the person bringing it has changed a couple of times.

Royal Mail turned up with a package last Sunday morning which threw me a bit. But it wasn't until after I had shut the door that it registered as a bit odd.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15593 on: December 4, 2020, 08:10:21 am »
Both the eBay seller and the amazon seller I messaged have replied to say they have a UK warehouse. eBay listing states Manchester and amazon seller say Manchester. If I had to guess, both are in China themselves given they messaged back during the middle of the night here. Might just roll the dice.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #15594 on: December 4, 2020, 11:50:41 am »
Both the eBay seller and the amazon seller I messaged have replied to say they have a UK warehouse. eBay listing states Manchester and amazon seller say Manchester. If I had to guess, both are in China themselves given they messaged back during the middle of the night here. Might just roll the dice.

Well at least that's cleared it up for you mate  ;D

There are a few who do have warehouses over here but the majority don't , as when they are in China they can then post the goods at China post prices which is pence and Royal Mail have to foot the bill at this end and deliver it technically free  where as if they buy over here they pay full price

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15595 on: December 4, 2020, 12:07:12 pm »
I ordered a few bits from ebay recently, the seller was based in China but the item was dispatched from the UK.

Re the Royal Mail, I noticed we hadn't had any mail in two weeks and also hadn't even seen the postman on our street either so I phoned up to complain. The next day the postman delivers 14 letters to our house! I get that they are under pressure but no deliveries for a fortnight is a bit much.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15596 on: December 4, 2020, 12:09:50 pm »
I ordered a few bits from ebay recently, the seller was based in China but the item was dispatched from the UK.

Re the Royal Mail, I noticed we hadn't had any mail in two weeks and also hadn't even seen the postman on our street either so I phoned up to complain. The next day the postman delivers 14 letters to our house! I get that they are under pressure but no deliveries for a fortnight is a bit much.

Yeah that's ridiculous. If they're short staffed due to whatever reasons then there are plenty of people out there who would accept even a short term role.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #15597 on: December 4, 2020, 12:35:32 pm »

It's mental and  the lady in the post office where i go everyday say's the influx of post over the last 8 months is crazy  . She say's it's literally like a constant Christmas rush everyday . I tend to go first thing but as I pass the post office on the way to pick my daughter up there is always a queue of 10 plus people outside

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15598 on: December 4, 2020, 04:55:48 pm »
Yeah that's ridiculous. If they're short staffed due to whatever reasons then there are plenty of people out there who would accept even a short term role.

I used to be mates with a postie based in Ormskirk. He told me some right tales about the temp staff, mainly students from Edge Hill, who'd walk out with the post and just dump it somewhere. They only found out when a fella brought a bag into the post office to complain.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15599 on: December 7, 2020, 10:59:58 am »
Anyone got any good recommendation for a Christmas hamper?

Was looking for my parents as they’re going to be in their own. They don’t want anything overly fancy and I saw M&S and John Lewis had really nice stuff for around £100. Typically, didn’t order when I saw them and now they’re out of stock so don’t know how likely they are to come available again.

Any other suggestions or recommendations gratefully received!