Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1049174 times)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #15240 on: July 1, 2020, 06:49:07 pm »
So, meant to start that new job on Monday... I live in a block of six flats and someone overnight has put up a sign saying "To all, a resident in this block has tested positive for COVID-19. Please take the correct precautions. We would advise you to self-isolate for 14 days."

No sign off at the end of the letter, no idea who put it up. My girlfriend and I had already been self-isolating for 14 days so we could visit my mum over the weekend, but three days later and this has been put up. We have no communal areas in the flat, barring the stairway. We haven't bumped into a neighbour in over a month, but we've probably touched the same doorknobs/railings etc.

I don't particularly fancy bringing this up to my new boss. He's keen to get stuck in as soon as possible so I don't think it would be the right first impression to give before even starting the job. He's already given me instructions for the first day and what to expect etc.

How would you guys play it? I'd like to do the responsible thing but also don't want to start off on the wrong foot here. I thought about just mentioning it to him and asking him for his opinion, but really I'd rather not do that.

The guidance is for someone in your household, not someone in the same apartment block.
I'd advise your new boss that someone has put that sign up, but tell him you're still happy to begin the job on Monday but just making him aware of it.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15241 on: July 1, 2020, 07:16:13 pm »
The guidance is for someone in your household, not someone in the same apartment block.
I'd advise your new boss that someone has put that sign up, but tell him you're still happy to begin the job on Monday but just making him aware of it.

I wouldn’t even tell them that to be honest, just start as normal.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15242 on: July 1, 2020, 07:20:25 pm »
I wouldn’t even tell them that to be honest, just start as normal.

Agree with this, no need to say a word.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #15243 on: July 1, 2020, 08:03:44 pm »
I know the sign wasn’t signed or anything, but was it even dated? It could be someone having a “joke”.

If you haven’t had contact with anyone there I’m also on the side of carrying on as normal and not mentioning it.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15244 on: July 1, 2020, 08:04:39 pm »
I know the sign wasn’t signed or anything, but was it even dated? It could be someone having a “joke”.

If you haven’t had contact with anyone there I’m also on the side of carrying on as normal and not mentioning it.

It being a piss take was my first though too. Or someone wanting a few weeks off work themselves so put that up then send a pic to their boss!

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #15245 on: July 1, 2020, 10:41:06 pm »
What chords does Jamie Webster play when he's doing allez allez allez?
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15246 on: July 1, 2020, 10:44:01 pm »
What chords does Jamie Webster play when he's doing allez allez allez?

The heart chords.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #15247 on: July 2, 2020, 10:37:21 am »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #15248 on: July 2, 2020, 11:10:09 am »
The heart chords.
I think the vocal chords play a part too, like.....

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15249 on: July 3, 2020, 04:06:28 pm »
Missus loves the song Story of the Blues by Wah!, however, try finding it on Amazon or anywhere to buy

Anyone know where I can download the thing?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15250 on: July 3, 2020, 05:49:36 pm »
Missus loves the song Story of the Blues by Wah!, however, try finding it on Amazon or anywhere to buy

Anyone know where I can download the thing?

I have it on my ipod. I would be happy to email the mpeg-4 file if that's any help?
For some reason its now been removed from the album I bought it from a few years back.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15251 on: July 3, 2020, 05:55:18 pm »
I have it on my ipod. I would be happy to email the mpeg-4 file if that's any help?
For some reason its now been removed from the album I bought it from a few years back.

Cheers mate, I'll send you a PM

Its a nightmare to get hold of. Did a playlist for her 50th last year and just could not get the song to buy.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15252 on: July 3, 2020, 07:50:10 pm »

Sorted, perfect and wife thinks I'm ace now :thumbup
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15253 on: July 3, 2020, 08:08:10 pm »
Sorted, perfect and wife thinks I'm ace now :thumbup

That's great, I'm glad it worked.

Was a bit unsure as I bought it from iTunes rather than from an old CD. It's a great song, I'm a dyed in the wool rocker but always love a bit of nostalgia from the good old days of the charts.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15254 on: July 3, 2020, 08:29:57 pm »
That's great, I'm glad it worked.

Was a bit unsure as I bought it from iTunes rather than from an old CD. It's a great song, I'm a dyed in the wool rocker but always love a bit of nostalgia from the good old days of the charts.

It's one of the few songs she likes that I also like.

She calls my music noisy shite, so Planet Rock annoys the fuck out of her, she always wants  Absolute 80's on. The kids used to drive her nuts in the car by demanding Slipknot, not bad for a then 7 and 9 yr old ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15255 on: July 3, 2020, 09:34:11 pm »
Is there a way to "unfollow" threads after you've posted in them? Would rather forget yesterday's result  ;D
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #15256 on: July 11, 2020, 04:13:24 pm »
www.tualgre.com

Does this site look legitimate to you? I need to buy some running shoes that have since gone out of production and this is the only place I can see that stocks them. The site just looks so amatuerish though so I'm worried about paying through it. That revolving Nike logo is straight out of 1999 GeoCities.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15257 on: July 11, 2020, 04:20:08 pm »
www.tualgre.com

Does this site look legitimate to you? I need to buy some running shoes that have since gone out of production and this is the only place I can see that stocks them. The site just looks so amatuerish though so I'm worried about paying through it. That revolving Nike logo is straight out of 1999 GeoCities.

No address or phone number anywhere on the site which always rings alarm bells for me.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #15258 on: July 11, 2020, 04:28:48 pm »
No address or phone number anywhere on the site which always rings alarm bells for me.
The shoe I'm looking for (from 2018) is out of stock everywhere, yet on this site it's available in literally any size you want. That's a bit suspicious too. I'll steer clear.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15259 on: July 11, 2020, 07:55:17 pm »
The shoe I'm looking for (from 2018) is out of stock everywhere, yet on this site it's available in literally any size you want. That's a bit suspicious too. I'll steer clear.
I can't even reach the site, just says Connection Timed Out.

Best steer clear
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15260 on: July 11, 2020, 09:56:20 pm »
I can't even reach the site, just says Connection Timed Out.

Best steer clear

my virgin media websafe blocks access as its either a fraudulent site or is a virus risk, that is what's triggered it.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #15261 on: July 11, 2020, 10:41:35 pm »
Yep, it's stopped working for me now too. As if it wasn't shady enough.

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15262 on: July 16, 2020, 05:42:02 pm »
Recently changed a front drivers side indicator bulb on my Insignia and have been plagued by headlamp condensation ever since. Ive got rid of it numerous times by removing caps and leaving bonnet up on hot sunny days only for it to return immediatley. Any help solving would be appreciated.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15263 on: July 16, 2020, 05:46:01 pm »
Recently changed a front drivers side indicator bulb on my Insignia and have been plagued by headlamp condensation ever since. Ive got rid of it numerous times by removing caps and leaving bonnet up on hot sunny days only for it to return immediatley. Any help solving would be appreciated.

Not changed an Insignia one, but I suspect there is a either seal that is not seating properly, you've not put it back on or you've not tightened the headlight up fully when refitting it.

If you can't sort it, drill a tiny hole in the bottom of the lens to allow the water to drain.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline tray fenny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15264 on: July 16, 2020, 08:06:29 pm »
Not changed an Insignia one, but I suspect there is a either seal that is not seating properly, you've not put it back on or you've not tightened the headlight up fully when refitting it.

If you can't sort it, drill a tiny hole in the bottom of the lens to allow the water to drain.
I make sure the caps a properly sealed tight after the drying though mate [emoji2371] looks awful, actually thinking of selling the car now.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15265 on: July 16, 2020, 08:09:20 pm »
I make sure the caps a properly sealed tight after the drying though mate [emoji2371] looks awful, actually thinking of selling the car now.

The wife has an 06 Astra and that used to suffer with condensation, I drilled a 4mm hole in the bottom and that sorted it. Of course, being plazzy lenses, they've got that awful clouding.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline tray fenny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15266 on: July 17, 2020, 01:51:06 pm »
The wife has an 06 Astra and that used to suffer with condensation, I drilled a 4mm hole in the bottom and that sorted it. Of course, being plazzy lenses, they've got that awful clouding.

Did that sort the condensation or the water gathering behind the lens? Just removed the 4 caps and theres a suspicious pool of water behind one.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 05:45:46 pm by tray fenny »

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15267 on: July 19, 2020, 09:06:58 pm »
Back in here, seeking more advice on my ex-boss.

After handing my notice in last month, I helped recruit my replacement. My boss went against my advice and asked me to hire someone who doesn't have much experience in our direct field. She started the job on the same day as I started my new one, and a couple of days in I was bombared with messages saying 'Jess needs training, can you train her please'. This after I'd left a very comprehensive 3000 word handover report when I handed my notice in.

Jess reached out to me herself and I gave her a call to go through some of those points again. She thanked me, said it was very helpful etc. But yesterday, I got a message from my ex-boss saying 'Jess is useless, she wants training in everything, can we give her one week notice'.

But errr... I don't work for him anymore. I have no reason to concern myself with what's going on at my previous job. So I ignored the message, only for him to give me missed calls throughout today (5 by 3pm this afternoon, on a Sunday). Now I've got a few more messages saying 'Can you tell her please' ???

I, of course, am not going to do it. But I also know I need a reference from him in the future if any new workplace asks for references from my last two employers. Really, I need to block his number and never acknowledge his existence again, but how likely am I to need him for a reference in the future? Just one reference from previous employer enough?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15268 on: July 19, 2020, 09:15:32 pm »
Just tell him you're no longer employed by his company so please can he stop contacting you requesting you do work.

Honestly, if you don't he's going to continue. If you block him then he'll probably give you a bad reference anyway.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15269 on: July 19, 2020, 09:33:53 pm »
Just send a quote for consultancy fees for doing what he wants.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15270 on: July 19, 2020, 10:16:27 pm »
Just send a quote for consultancy fees for doing what he wants.
Is exactly right. 

Reply with an invoice for the training that is ridiculously high with a footnote about hiring the right people with the right skills being more cost effective.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #15271 on: July 19, 2020, 11:18:46 pm »
I bought a resin European cup full size last year. But marks and smudges are appearing where I hold it from.

Does anyone know how to maintain them? I have asked around shops about refurbishing but no luck. Would it be best selling it before it gets worse over time? Ideally I'd like to keep and maintain/refurbish here and there.

Anyone else have the same problem?

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #15272 on: July 20, 2020, 06:35:01 am »
Probably a (very) stupid question.

My mum reckons if you leave a charger plugged into the mains, but not plugged into your phone, laptop etc, it uses electricity.

I can't see how, if there is nowhere for the electricity to go, this can be true.  There may be some fractional waste with power going in to the charger, but it wouldn't be a continuous waste, surely?

The air isn't full of electric charge spouted out by unused phone chargers or else our hair would stand on end and balloons would constantly stick to walls.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #15273 on: July 20, 2020, 08:25:43 am »
Probably a (very) stupid question.

My mum reckons if you leave a charger plugged into the mains, but not plugged into your phone, laptop etc, it uses electricity.

I can't see how, if there is nowhere for the electricity to go, this can be true.  There may be some fractional waste with power going in to the charger, but it wouldn't be a continuous waste, surely?

The air isn't full of electric charge spouted out by unused phone chargers or else our hair would stand on end and balloons would constantly stick to walls.

Not sure about excess electric use but there is plenty of evidence of cheap/counterfeit phone chargers bursting in flames. So switch off.

Not saying your mum's is cheap etc. by the way. ;)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #15274 on: July 20, 2020, 08:57:29 am »

It's complicated.

Many household electrical goods will draw current when in standby mode and even in the case of PSU's & chargers, when in no load ie there is no device connected or the device is fully charged.

The concept is known as Electricity Vampires.

Berkeley Labs produced a table a few years ago giving a breakdown of such things typically found in a home.

https://standby.lbl.gov/data/summary-table/

In the case of PSU/Chargers, there have been two distinct categories over the years.

The older and far more bulky chargers or Linear PSU's employ a transformer design and generally the greater the output power requirements, the larger the transformer and the box to house it, let alone weight and increased cost etc.  These can suck quite a lot if left connected even with no load on the output present and their efficiency is not too good, ie a 300watt output will require perhaps as much as 500watts of input power.

These have largely been superceded by Switch Mode PSU's which use an entirely different mechanism to convert typical AC mains down to consumer device level DC.  (Warning. The link does contain a bit of technical spoddery)

The attraction is they are much easier to produce, use less copper as the few transformers/chokes inside are very small, and they can be very compact in relation to the output power they can deliver and their efficiency is far greater.

They have gone under many iterations in design and sophistication over the years, the early ones were notorious for producing all kinds electrical interference and being unreliable when no load was connected, ie they would blow up quite easily, but these days, provided they are built and tested to appropriate EU or US standards, they are very good.

Nevertheless, even with no load connected to them, they still draw a current when plugged in although the newer Apple chargers are meant to reduce even this significantly, but at a cost in component complexity and thus price to the consumer.

On their own these days, the amount of power modern Switched Mode PSU's consume is likely insignificant to a typical household bill, but multiply it by the number of say mobile chargers left plugged in throughout the UK (or World) then it starts to become significant, especially if you are trying to plan future National Electricity generation needs.

So I would agree with your Mum in that it's likely still good practice, and ethically correct, to unplug such things when nothing is connected to them, or if you have several, have them all plugged into a power strip that can then be turned off at the wall socket.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #15275 on: July 20, 2020, 09:11:53 am »
It's complicated.

Many household electrical goods will draw current when in standby mode and even in the case of PSU's & chargers, when in no load ie there is no device connected or the device is fully charged.

The concept is known as Electricity Vampires.

Berkeley Labs produced a table a few years ago giving a breakdown of such things typically found in a home.

https://standby.lbl.gov/data/summary-table/

In the case of PSU/Chargers, there have been two distinct categories over the years.

The older and far more bulky chargers or Linear PSU's employ a transformer design and generally the greater the output power requirements, the larger the transformer and the box to house it, let alone weight and increased cost etc.  These can suck quite a lot if left connected even with no load on the output present and their efficiency is not too good, ie a 300watt output will require perhaps as much as 500watts of input power.

These have largely been superceded by Switch Mode PSU's which use an entirely different mechanism to convert typical AC mains down to consumer device level DC.  (Warning. The link does contain a bit of technical spoddery)

The attraction is they are much easier to produce, use less copper as the few transformers/chokes inside are very small, and they can be very compact in relation to the output power they can deliver and their efficiency is far greater.

They have gone under many iterations in design and sophistication over the years, the early ones were notorious for producing all kinds electrical interference and being unreliable when no load was connected, ie they would blow up quite easily, but these days, provided they are built and tested to appropriate EU or US standards, they are very good.

Nevertheless, even with no load connected to them, they still draw a current when plugged in although the newer Apple chargers are meant to reduce even this significantly, but at a cost in component complexity and thus price to the consumer.

On their own these days, the amount of power modern Switched Mode PSU's consume is likely insignificant to a typical household bill, but multiply it by the number of say mobile chargers left plugged in throughout the UK (or World) then it starts to become significant, especially if you are trying to plan future National Electricity generation needs.

So I would agree with your Mum in that it's likely still good practice, and ethically correct, to unplug such things when nothing is connected to them, or if you have several, have them all plugged into a power strip that can then be turned off at the wall socket.

Cheers, guys, I was following this all the way until you said I have to agree with my mum  :)

I'm surprised, but a clear description of how this works, thanks again.

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #15276 on: July 26, 2020, 01:43:44 pm »
Got another electric related question.

I wear hearing aids and they beep when the batteries need changing.  It's always the right ear that beeps first.

I always change both batteries at the same time, so they start on a level playing field.  Could it be because my hearing is worse in the right ear?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15277 on: July 26, 2020, 01:45:08 pm »
Got another electric related question.

I wear hearing aids and they beep when the batteries need changing.  It's always the right ear that beeps first.

I always change both batteries at the same time, so they start on a level playing field.  Could it be because my hearing is worse in the right ear?

I’d imagine it’s more a case of the battery not charging to full capacity (it degrades over time) or it doesn’t hold it’s charge as well.

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #15278 on: July 26, 2020, 02:51:35 pm »
I’d imagine it’s more a case of the battery not charging to full capacity (it degrades over time) or it doesn’t hold it’s charge as well.

They're just replaceable, rather than rechargeable, batteries.  To me, they should last the same?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #15279 on: July 26, 2020, 06:13:44 pm »
They're just replaceable, rather than rechargeable, batteries.  To me, they should last the same?

You would assume that both hearing aids have identical circuits within them and that the battery life would therefore be absolutely identical for both.

However, tiny differences in component behaviour at these sort of low voltage and current use, LR44 batteries are rated at around 105mAh at 1.5v, may possibly be having an effect when measured over say a three month continuous drain period.

Put simply, if one consumes just slightly more current over that sort of time period, possibly as little as just an extra 1mAh, it will stop working first and maybe by a few days.

If you have a look here, http://www.fliptronics.com/tip0006.html, it has a good breakdown of typical LR44 battery performance when used in Digital calipers (the circuits in many of the cheaper Chinese ones don't actually actually turn off, just the display, which is seriously annoying as it means they eat through batteries) but it gives a general idea of possible battery life over such periods of time.

Hearing aids are also consumer level devices, not scientific or laboratory measurement ones, so the component selection may well not be specified as fine tolerance, ie they have a broader range of operating tolerances of say 10% rather than 1% and probably less rigorous or even no calibration, just a regular random sample test off the producion line to ensure they are working within possibly a relatively broad range of characteristics.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 06:42:02 pm by The Gulleysucker »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)