Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2776226 times)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #62240 on: December 17, 2021, 04:30:43 pm »
On a separate note, wanted to point out something George Kittle has said recently about Trent Williams. Something I agree with.

The other week Williams was ranked 8th in Pro Bowl votes for LTs. I don't watch every game, every week bt find it mind boggling that Trent Williams isn't storming the Pro Bowl voting. For me, he's easily the best LT out there. In 2021 so far,Williams has allowed one sack, six QB hits, eight QB hurries and 15 pressures in 759 snaps. In terms of pass protection, he is immense. In terms of run blocking he's elite also.

Trent Williams currently has a PFF grade of 99 in 2021. It's not just the best of any tackle. It's the best of any player in the NFL in 2021.

I'm not sure if there is another tackle in 2021 who is even close to Trent Williams. He should be a shoe-in as 1st team All-Pro. He should be in the conversation for Offensive Player of the Year. I suspect he would be in the 49ers were 10-3 rather than 7-6.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #62241 on: December 17, 2021, 04:41:29 pm »
pro bowl voting is a popularity contest as much as anything else and some people get in just because of their name.

if you get all pro? that still means something.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62242 on: December 17, 2021, 04:57:34 pm »
pro bowl voting is a popularity contest as much as anything else and some people get in just because of their name.

I agree.

I think David Bakhtiari (when fit) is at least the equal to Trent Williams at LT.

Not sure anyone else is close to those 2. Though I do think Tyron Smith is good. So are Tristan Wirfs, Terron Armstead. Andrew Whitworth is still a good player. Amazing given he's now 40.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #62243 on: December 17, 2021, 05:32:02 pm »
The Chargers under their new head coach are a vastly underrated team so I don't think the Chiefs did too badly to just secure a tie in regulation in that sense. The Bolts are very unpredictable but Herbert is approaching top five territory as far as QB's go and Joey Bosa is a beast.
Linudden.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62244 on: December 17, 2021, 06:09:44 pm »
The Chargers under their new head coach are a vastly underrated team so I don't think the Chiefs did too badly to just secure a tie in regulation in that sense. The Bolts are very unpredictable but Herbert is approaching top five territory as far as QB's go and Joey Bosa is a beast.

Agree about the Chargers.

I really like watching them. Can see them making play offs and maybe winning a game. Can’t see them winning AFC this year. They look well placed to be a contender in next few seasons though

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #62245 on: December 17, 2021, 06:48:08 pm »
Agree about the Chargers.

I really like watching them. Can see them making play offs and maybe winning a game. Can’t see them winning AFC this year. They look well placed to be a contender in next few seasons though

I think they're destined to be nearly men in the division so long as Mahomes is there, mainly because they lack the home support that the other three franchises got. At best their home games is neutral turf.
Linudden.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62246 on: December 17, 2021, 07:01:38 pm »
I think they're destined to be nearly men in the division so long as Mahomes is there, mainly because they lack the home support that the other three franchises got. At best their home games is neutral turf.

Big difference between Chargers at SoFi and Chiefs at Arrowhead.

I personally don’t think the Chargers defence is good enough for a deep playoff run.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #62247 on: December 17, 2021, 09:07:47 pm »
I know what the analytics say but they left a lot of points on the field. I like going for it on 4th down in general but Staley can't just go with analytics every time. His job is to look at the odds and weigh up where you are in the game. Not just defer all responsibility to the computer.

And the Chargers won at Arrowhead because the Cheifs turned the ball over 4 times.
Yea going for it gave them a better chance to win that why went for it. If score on the 4th and 1 from the 1 they go  up 11 with KC getting the ball 2nd half.
Staley made all the right calls, just didn't work.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #62248 on: December 18, 2021, 12:02:51 am »
What I have to say about the Chargers is that as good as their quarter back and pass rush both are, their secondary was absolutely dreadful consistently. If you let the medium-speed tank of Travis Kelce run from midfield straight towards the endzone twice it's not really performing accurately. Not to mention Mahomes' 32-yard run to set up the equalising TD and their double pass interferences on Hill. I sense that they desperately need a cornerback or safety in the first round next time.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 12:04:22 am by Lewis Hamilton’s #1 baubles »
Linudden.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #62249 on: December 18, 2021, 12:40:02 am »
I’ve given up on my team, though we’re hanging around.500 . It’s one sport I can just watch for pleasure & enjoy the skills of individuals on other teams. With a few exceptions…
Honestly Killie? I checked out when they moved to Vegas. Sold their soul.

I know they needed a new stadium etc, but in all honesty my emotional investment in the team has been beaten out over the years anyway, at some point you just realise the fella in charge (Al/bowl cut) are really quite clueless. There's no point in raging; they simply wallow in chaos, it's just the way it is.

They pay peanuts to OC/DC's, Al always hired yes men and he called the shots anyway, any talent just goes there as either an ATM or to see their dreams crushed. Draft after draft bust, they just don't learn, so apathy builds.

The Vegas move, well, that took the biscuit for me, a cash grab to a stopover, soulless city, seeing the away fans en masse. Alameda County was a shitehole, but it was Raider land. A Sea of Silver and Black. There was an identity there.

I now watch and sneer, I laugh and shake my head every time they stumble. Commitment to excrement.

Love the NFL, and the sport, love watching teams and admire the talent which at times is otherworldly.

Raiders though? a sideshow unfortunately, and I honestly don't think anything will change unless the stink of the Davis family is separated from them.

Offline Stevo79

• Kopite
« Reply #62250 on: December 18, 2021, 12:53:52 am »
What I have to say about the Chargers is that as good as their quarter back and pass rush both are, their secondary was absolutely dreadful consistently. If you let the medium-speed tank of Travis Kelce run from midfield straight towards the endzone twice it's not really performing accurately. Not to mention Mahomes' 32-yard run to set up the equalising TD and their double pass interferences on Hill. I sense that they desperately need a cornerback or safety in the first round next time.

I saw the highlights earlier and agree. The angles at which they tried to tackle Kelce were horrible. He's 32 and not particularly quick and I'm not sure he had a hand laid on him. Fair play though!

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62251 on: December 18, 2021, 10:53:17 am »
3 x Week 15 NFL games have been moved due to Covid.

Raiders/Browns moved from tonight to Monday. WFT/Eagles and Seattle/Rams moved to Tuesday

Shame the game tonight has been moved. Felt like a bonus Saturday night NFL game for those in UK

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #62252 on: December 18, 2021, 01:03:00 pm »
I was looking forward to bonus NFL too

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62253 on: December 18, 2021, 04:45:24 pm »
The evolution of the QB is one of the most startling differences when watching old footage from the 80s etc to now is the athleticism of the QBs - I know the rules are very different but they just planted themselves in the pocket and slung it. Someone like Vick or more contemporaneously - Lamar Jackson, looks like an alien in comparison.

It's interesting that height plays such a big role - of course in a game of giants it's understandable why as such. Is it because of concerns of seeing over your O-line and past the defence up front to where your options are? Because Wilson and QBs like Murray have proven height's not really an impediment if you're good enough.

The big difference now is that you get the athleticism and the passing ability in one QB nowadays, far too often you had players making teams with mediocre at best arms due to being mobile, there were obviously exceptions like Steve Young, Randall Cunningham etc. but they were the exception rather than the norm.

Height can definitely play a part in making it tougher for a QB, besides the issue of being able to see your options, a lack of height can also make throws over the middle tougher, reducing your passing options since the d-line has more chance of getting their hands up and blocking those passes when the angle of release is below them with a shorter QB.

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62254 on: December 19, 2021, 03:25:18 am »
Here we go classic Colts. You have the best run game in league so decide to let your below average QB starting throwing picks in the last quarter to let the Pats back in the game  :butt

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62255 on: December 19, 2021, 08:21:56 pm »
Some pivotal games tonight. Whether it be for play off places or seeding.

What I wasn’t expecting was Detroit potentially beating Arizona. Could have big consequences on who is NFC No1 seed. Could even give the Rams a chance to win NFC West

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #62256 on: December 19, 2021, 09:33:34 pm »
Erm…. Detroit?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #62257 on: December 19, 2021, 09:41:50 pm »
They're fucking at it again  ;D I can only laugh.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62258 on: December 19, 2021, 09:54:49 pm »
3 late games are ally key games in playoff picture.

They all look close contests at this point. Impressed with Ravens so far. Missing a lot of plays but are always competitive.

Ravens win and NO maintaining hoodoo over Brady later and the Rams might be eyeing NFC No.1 seed

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62259 on: December 19, 2021, 10:37:51 pm »
They're fucking at it again  ;D I can only laugh.
and again! coldnt see on redzone quite how many yards they gave up on tthe return

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62260 on: December 19, 2021, 10:43:55 pm »
and again! coldnt see on redzone quite how many yards they gave up on tthe return

Honestly it's almost every return now. Nearly the most exciting part of Packers games is special teams plays.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #62261 on: December 19, 2021, 10:54:05 pm »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62262 on: December 19, 2021, 11:21:25 pm »
Tyler Huntley is a pretty good Lamar clone.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62263 on: December 19, 2021, 11:28:03 pm »
Seriously now, are they taking the piss or what? I don't understand how professional athletes can be so bad at such basic things.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62264 on: December 19, 2021, 11:28:25 pm »
Seriously now, are they taking the piss or what. I don't understand how professional athletes can be so bad at such basic things.

It's like a performance art piece at this point

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62265 on: December 19, 2021, 11:36:33 pm »
It's like a performance art piece at this point

;D

Stage fright can be the only explanation.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #62266 on: December 19, 2021, 11:41:16 pm »
If all you can do is moan about special teams, you're doing OK.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62267 on: December 19, 2021, 11:44:53 pm »
If all you can do is moan about special teams, you're doing OK.

I know I'm in a very privileged position, but I've only got one Superbowl from Rodgers and I need at least one more. Could be a few barren years when he's gone. I'm very wary of special teams fucking us in the playoffs.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #62268 on: December 19, 2021, 11:54:53 pm »
What the hell was that by the Ravens? 4th and 5 from their own 25 with 12+ minutes left is not go-for-it territory.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #62269 on: December 19, 2021, 11:58:09 pm »
"So another punt..." says Ian eagle.

Made me laugh anyway.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62270 on: December 20, 2021, 12:00:03 am »
What the hell was that by the Ravens? 4th and 5 from their own 25 with 12+ minutes left is not go-for-it territory.

It used to be frustrating how conservative coaches were in going for it on 4th down but it's nearly gone too far the other way now. Crazy call with your backup really.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62271 on: December 20, 2021, 12:07:16 am »
Hear scott hanson being arsey with his colleagues on redzone just then ;D

"I realize that!"

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62272 on: December 20, 2021, 12:28:59 am »
At some point the ravens might want to try and stay in a game, instead of throwing it away.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #62273 on: December 20, 2021, 12:35:01 am »
harbaugh either has balls the size of watermelons, is an idiot, or just really fucking hates overtime.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62274 on: December 20, 2021, 12:35:08 am »
Hear scott hanson being arsey with his colleagues on redzone just then ;D

"I realize that!"

I missed it unfortunately, however Scott Hanson is an international treasure and cannot be wrong in any situation.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #62275 on: December 20, 2021, 12:40:39 am »
harbaugh either has balls the size of watermelons, is an idiot, or just really fucking hates overtime.
ballsy call but an odd play selection, he had no chance of making the completion, didn't look elsewhere either!

That's potentially two games he's thrown away and a possible two game lead, they had the momentum with them too but there we are
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62276 on: December 20, 2021, 01:13:19 am »
https://twitter.com/ben_bot_baldwin/status/1472716694879621126
Yes it is.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62277 on: December 20, 2021, 01:14:29 am »
He plays not go to Overtime. He has said that also he basically has practice squad level Safety.
He should have gone for 2 when down 8 not 1. Because getting then gives you a better a chance to win in regulation.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62278 on: December 20, 2021, 01:15:38 am »
https://twitter.com/ben_bot_baldwin/status/1472716694879621126
Yes it is.

Does that take in to account who is playing QB, what play is drawn up, who the defence is etc.?

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62279 on: December 20, 2021, 01:18:58 am »

Does that take in to account who is playing QB, what play is drawn up, who the defence is etc.?
the success percentage is the NFL average there in that situation based on what has happened in the NFL before on 4th and 5.
The thing with going for it there and failing is as long they dont score a TD it still a 2 possession games and GB not killing the clock as much.