Author Topic: What happened to 'Reclaim The Kop'?  (Read 23819 times)

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What happened to 'Reclaim The Kop'?
« on: February 21, 2012, 06:43:25 pm »
Not heard anything from or about them for ages? Have they just ceased to exist or have Spirit of Shankly taken over?

EDIT: The last I heard they were trying to get a standing block at the back of the Anny Road end but couldn't do it because of the restricted view seats.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 06:51:04 pm by Paragon »
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline David H

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What happened to 'Reclaim The Kop'?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 06:53:48 pm »
Would love something like this again to help improve the atmosphere

Offline GODS LEFT BOOT

• Legacy Fan
  • ...AND THE SWEET SILVER SONG OF THE LARK
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 07:10:43 pm »
Reclaim Reclaim the Kop!!
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:11:40 pm »
It should try to be reclaimed, for reclaiming's sake, of course.

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:19:10 pm »
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:28:09 pm »
After the Hicks and Gillete saga the kop atmosphere stopped being that relevant.

Offline Scud02

• Legacy Fan
  • They call me Mr Fake
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 12:15:11 am »
Me & Smigs have had discussions about this before but nothing really took off, would love to try and get it going again.  All it needs is a couple of figureheads to arrange meetings in the Sandon or Solly and from there we can expand and grow. 
Spirit of Shankly Membership Number 4294, Reclaim the Kop!  The King's Men

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 12:31:42 am »
Kop should be all standing, or at least the whole of the middle bit, seen how Celtic are doing it? Bloody brilliant, would help the atmosphere 100x to be honest, only so much 394/305/306 can do, if others aren't joining in.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:36:25 am »
Although I think it's a great idea, I seem to remember the last effort also caused a few schisms between the super-duper fans and the ordinary fans.

It was a bit clicky.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 12:38:37 am »
Kop should be all standing, or at least the whole of the middle bit,
the other day i was in 103 aka the morgue after the 3rd goal there was a time when suddenly everyone was on their feet in full voice. god knows why but i got 10 seconds of great atmosphere. the kop should be full standing imo and if you can't stand for 90 minutes maybe consider another stand. the kop is the most uncomfortable place to sit in the world hands down so standings just better for all. what i don't get is these people can't stand during the game then the whistle goes and everyones on their feet talking away. sitting down and not singing at the game is the worst crime you can perform and yet these people call themselves fans
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 12:47:30 am »
the other day i was in 103 aka the morgue after the 3rd goal there was a time when suddenly everyone was on their feet in full voice. god knows why but i got 10 seconds of great atmosphere. the kop should be full standing imo and if you can't stand for 90 minutes maybe consider another stand. the kop is the most uncomfortable place to sit in the world hands down so standings just better for all. what i don't get is these people can't stand during the game then the whistle goes and everyones on their feet talking away. sitting down and not singing at the game is the worst crime you can perform and yet these people call themselves fans
the kop should be full standing imo and if you can't stand for 90 minutes maybe consider another stand. 

And this is exactly how the arguments started last time.

Super fans telling other's how THEY should behave.

And before you fire one back, be mindfull that I'm all for reclaim the Kop.  I'm just not into all of the bullying that goes on like that above.

Either behave like us, or fuck off attitude does noboby any good, and is what caused no end of arguments, last time around.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:49:41 am by Big Red Richie »

Offline Scud02

• Legacy Fan
  • They call me Mr Fake
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 12:49:19 am »
Do any of you live in Liverpool and would be interested sometime meeting up at the Sandon etc to try and get the group starting up again, at least make some form of movement in real life instead of debating about it on an internet forum.  I'd be interested and think it would be a good starting point to try and solve problems, how would we be able to form a group and from there speak with the club though?

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 12:51:10 am »
I don't thik it's a bad idea, but very much like last time, you'd have to get the club, or certain people within the club, on side first, to stop any issues with consistant standing etc.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 12:53:22 am »
Although I think it's a great idea, I seem to remember the last effort also caused a few schisms between the super-duper fans and the ordinary fans.

It was a bit clicky.

Understand, which is why I feel maybe the whole middle bit should be standing, maybe from the to of 305 all the way to the very bottom, just standing, the atmosphere at the top is always good, and is all remains of our once famous atmosphere, its like a reminder of the good times sitting up there, sat there for Brighton and I loved it, knew some lads who sat in the main stand who were saying how shite the atmosphere was, if we could get it going right through the spine of the Kop as opposed to just the very top maybe we'd get somewhere?

Offline Scud02

• Legacy Fan
  • They call me Mr Fake
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 12:55:54 am »
I don't thik it's a bad idea, but very much like last time, you'd have to get the club, or certain people within the club, on side first, to stop any issues with consistant standing etc.

Which is why we need to get together and form a group, get numbers together, have debates with the club, show them that we are a big enough entity to have talks with about the situation rather than 1 or 2 or whatever.  We would need leading members and then general members, similar to the Spirit of Shankly in a way. 

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 12:57:43 am »
Understand, which is why I feel maybe the whole middle bit should be standing, maybe from the to of 305 all the way to the very bottom, just standing, the atmosphere at the top is always good, and is all remains of our once famous atmosphere, its like a reminder of the good times sitting up there, sat there for Brighton and I loved it, knew some lads who sat in the main stand who were saying how shite the atmosphere was, if we could get it going right through the spine of the Kop as opposed to just the very top maybe we'd get somewhere?
Non-starter.

I personally know three people who had to move their season tickets last time - seats they'd had for 15 years -  because when the centre sections stand, any one who is in the side sections can only see what is directly in front of them, and not the half, or one third of the rest of the pitch that the standing people blocked out.

the only way it would really work is if you picked a row number, and everyone behind that row could stand up, but if in front of that row, then the steward would force you to sit.

and we all know thats not going to happen, as you've seen the way some of are more arsey fans react when asked to sit by stewards.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:00:46 am by Big Red Richie »

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 12:59:07 am »
Which is why we need to get together and form a group, get numbers together, have debates with the club, show them that we are a big enough entity to have talks with about the situation rather than 1 or 2 or whatever.  We would need leading members and then general members, similar to the Spirit of Shankly in a way. 
Then why not get SOS to do your bidding for you, as they already have the lines of communication into the club.

In fact, wern't SOS involved in this the first time around?

Offline Scud02

• Legacy Fan
  • They call me Mr Fake
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 01:04:02 am »
Then why not get SOS to do your bidding for you, as they already have the lines of communication into the club.

In fact, wern't SOS involved in this the first time around?

No SOS have said many a times they wouldn't be interested in such a movement, I've contacted them before regarding the situation.  Don't forget RTK came about before H + G spiralled out of control which led to the birth of SOS, therefore, RTK was scrapped.

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 01:05:44 am »
I stand corrected.

Offline Scud02

• Legacy Fan
  • They call me Mr Fake
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 01:18:00 am »
Too many people are like 'Oh we can't say let's have the Kop all standing because it seems like we're being superfans/harmful to other fans.' 

Fuck that, the Kop is the soul of the club and I don't want it dying a slow and painful death which it is at the minute.  Too many people simply get seats in the Kop because it's the Kop and yet they do not contribute to the Kop itself, they don't add to it's uniqueness.  I mean the amount of people who don't show up with scarves and don't know the songs is shocking, truly is appalling and it breaks my heart. 

I was at the match on Sunday and without trying to sound big headed or cocky I got a few songs going because I felt the atmosphere was beginning to wear thin, this is what needs done more often.  Too many people are afraid of looking like an idiot and starting a song on their own, once again fuck that.  I'm proud to try and get a song going and once one takes the lead others will follow.

Of course there is always someone (like for example Sunday) when I got Fields of Anfield Road going, some guy in front of me, who was sitting in 305 during YNWA eating his hot dog turned around and looked at me like I had 10 heads, asked him what the fuck he was looking at and he promptly turned away, this is the wrong attitude and people like that shouldn't be allowed in the Kop.  You can call me a 'superfan' or whatever, the matter of the fact is, you don't want to help the atmosphere by singing your heart out and supporting the team then please go to another stand and let someone in your spot who will.

Offline David H

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 01:35:52 am »
Too many people are like 'Oh we can't say let's have the Kop all standing because it seems like we're being superfans/harmful to other fans.' 

Fuck that, the Kop is the soul of the club and I don't want it dying a slow and painful death which it is at the minute.  Too many people simply get seats in the Kop because it's the Kop and yet they do not contribute to the Kop itself, they don't add to it's uniqueness.  I mean the amount of people who don't show up with scarves and don't know the songs is shocking, truly is appalling and it breaks my heart. 

I was at the match on Sunday and without trying to sound big headed or cocky I got a few songs going because I felt the atmosphere was beginning to wear thin, this is what needs done more often.  Too many people are afraid of looking like an idiot and starting a song on their own, once again fuck that.  I'm proud to try and get a song going and once one takes the lead others will follow.

Of course there is always someone (like for example Sunday) when I got Fields of Anfield Road going, some guy in front of me, who was sitting in 305 during YNWA eating his hot dog turned around and looked at me like I had 10 heads, asked him what the fuck he was looking at and he promptly turned away, this is the wrong attitude and people like that shouldn't be allowed in the Kop.  You can call me a 'superfan' or whatever, the matter of the fact is, you don't want to help the atmosphere by singing your heart out and supporting the team then please go to another stand and let someone in your spot who will.

Totally agree with everything mate.

You know its getting fucking bad when most people can't even join in on YNWA and have a general chat over it. No doubt you will get the whole "superfan" talk even when you have mentioned it in ur post, i guess if caring about the atmosphere and wanting a good atmosphere makes me a "super fan" then fuck it.

What row was you in on sunday?

Offline Scud02

• Legacy Fan
  • They call me Mr Fake
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 02:09:56 am »
305, row 73 seat 103 :)

Feel like we might be onto something here if we can get a bit more of a look in tomorrow and possibly arrange a meeting of sorts at some stage with some folk from here and see where it takes us.

Offline Apollo

• Kopite
  • I've got the
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 02:22:02 am »

I hate to whine about it and do the superfan thing too but the lad beside me in 305 didn't open his fucking mouth the whole match. Saw that he was texting a lot, looked at his phone, he was sending someone the message "Up to much?". Come on. It's not up to me to tell other fans how to behave at a football match but that is really fucking disappointing and frustrating. Young lad my age, obviously could speak english. What's the point of even going to the match if you're obviously not enjoying yourself, let alone get coveted tickets on the kop. It's a fucking privilege to be standing on the kop with the opportunity to sing. It's amazing. I can't believe so many people go there and just shut up.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 02:23:30 am »
Blessed are the cheesemakers and Kop reclaimers.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline love:the:game

• Yes mate...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • If found please return to nearest Blackjack Table
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 02:34:46 am »
Blessed are the cheesemakers and Kop reclaimers.

...and nosy bastards like Apollo!

In an ideal world people who didn't sing in the Kop would be escorted out, for trying to enjoy something for free without contributing to it. Like if you ordered the boxing and everyone chipped in except for one guy who just watches then buggers off >:(
I think we'd have won the league if we'd sold Keane to Man United.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:01 am »
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 09:20:51 am »

It's been said in many of these types of threads before, but it's hard to hear the back of the kop ON THE FRONT OF THE KOP, let alone around the rest of the ground.

When you stand in the 300's you think the whole ground is singing. When you're further down you realise just how muted the back of the kop can sound when singing on it's own.
What I don't get is how the stewards make us sit down on Sunday, but it's fine to stand for big games...... How does that work then? I never sit that low in the league as it's STHs only, but if it's like that every game, no wonder it's a bit of a struggle....

On a completely different note, and while I remember. There were some auld arses in the Albert before the game on Sunday singing some old school songs. Songs I haven't even heard about the older teams gone by. These are the songs that also need passing down, as well as the new ones. Joined in for their slow version of PST. Really enjoyed that.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:23:41 am by MushyP15 »
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Scud02

• Legacy Fan
  • They call me Mr Fake
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 09:38:18 am »
Would there be any specific way of trying to restart RTK?  Would we have to get into contact with the former heads who are now (more than likely) in the SOS?

Offline hawkwind

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 11:53:22 am »
Had my lad in the Kop for only his second time in block 206.
He said "There you go again always moaning about having to sit down"

Part way through the second half he said "i get it now, everytime we sit down our section stops singing"
Nail and head son, nail and head.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 12:23:50 pm »
In an ideal world people who didn't sing in the Kop would be escorted out, for trying to enjoy something for free without contributing to it.

Who gets in the Kop for free?
Legacy fan

Offline brunny

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 12:28:03 pm »
I agree that it is way better in at the back of the kop where you can stand all game. In the City semi final, and all the games in the FA cup I have been right at the back of the Kop and have been absolutely loving it.
But we have to be real when engaging the club, we cannot say, let us have this region for standing, as they cannot allow it officially due to the law right?
Do we think it would be better if we could sit with mates? Maybe have the back few rows you just buy a ticket, and associate the ticket with your mates, then when all the tickets are sold, the club try and get all the mates next to each other. So you don't buy a seat when you book.
http://game2.mafiadeath.com/r/35526.php
MafiaDeath Username: gabrown

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 12:37:41 pm »

asked him what the fuck he was looking at and he promptly turned away, this is the wrong attitude

and you wonder why there is animosity in the ground

Offline RedMarko

• Master arsonist and goat hater
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • TW42 now!!
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 12:39:56 pm »
I can't understand why it needs to be an organised movement called RTK.

I was always a fan of the idea of getting the Kop bouncing, but what has come through strong and loud is that there is a lot of people, regulars on the Kop, who are NOT interested in that, or do not believe it manageable.

RTK was a smashing idea. However, I think it is resigned to the past partly because of the organised nature of it. By giving the group a name and structure, it gave those who were against the principle a target for backlash.

The Kop was not organised to sing certain songs in certain areas at certain times, and I don't think the spirit could be the same if there was an attempt to organise like that.

Growth of such a group needs to be more natural than through prearranged meetings/seating areas/etc. Unless its spontaneous and fun, those that don't bother will continue to not be bothered.

My opinion counts for nought though as I am not regular enough on the Kop. I do stand and sing my head off when I get there though. :P

Offline Kemlyn 28

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 12:39:58 pm »
Not heard anything from or about them for ages? Have they just ceased to exist or have Spirit of Shankly taken over?

EDIT: The last I heard they were trying to get a standing block at the back of the Anny Road end but couldn't do it because of the restricted view seats.
  Realised that the battle to beat OOT daytrippers was a futile one perhaps?

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 12:46:10 pm »
Didn't one of the lads who was most vocal about RTK turn out to be Welsh? They struggled to maintain credibility after that as I remember.
Legacy fan

Offline Apollo

• Kopite
  • I've got the
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 12:48:19 pm »

Dunno if you're taking the piss, but OOT has nothing to do with it.

Offline RedMarko

• Master arsonist and goat hater
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • TW42 now!!
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 12:50:15 pm »

That's one way of ensuring the end of the thread. Congrats.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 12:54:25 pm »
Never understood RTK just a load of people saying we are better than you this is how you should act.

The more I get told to do something the less likely I am to do it.

I almost got myself a wanker hat to wear in the Kop once just because they said we shouldn't.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline cmoogster

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 12:57:38 pm »

Offline love:the:game

• Yes mate...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • If found please return to nearest Blackjack Table
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 01:27:30 pm »
Who gets in the Kop for free?

Anyone can buy a violin, but it takes dedication and skill to be part of an orchestra. Obviously no one can force you, but if you don't want to play your violin, let someone else take your spot in the orchestra, sit in the audience and enjoy the show instead.
I think we'd have won the league if we'd sold Keane to Man United.