Author Topic: A Game or Goal you missed you wish you hadn't  (Read 9801 times)

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
Re: A Game or Goal you missed you wish you hadn't
« Reply #40 on: July 6, 2009, 02:51:11 pm »
I missed the Olympiakos (ooooh you beaaauuuuty) match as I'd skint myself on the previous champions league games and thought it'd be fairly uneventful.

Huuuuge mistake!

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: July 6, 2009, 03:00:03 pm »
Every game and goal since June 1, 1981...

Been across the pond, but that problem will be fixed soon.  ;D

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #42 on: July 6, 2009, 03:04:31 pm »
87/88 first game of the season, turned round to talk to me mate and Aldridge scored
saw there goal them missed the last (Nicols) as we had to get to Arsenal tube station to get to Soho only found out we'd won at about 7 O'clock  ;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 6, 2009, 03:05:57 pm »
Missed Barmby scoring a superb individual goal against Fulham in the 2000/01 Worthington Cup. Left with about 5 mins extra time left after Smicer had made it 2 - 0 and got into taxi just in time to hear Barmby make it 3.

As far as games go then it would have to be the 2003 final when we beat the Mancs as I was on holiday in Austria.

Offline AndrewLFC_1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 6, 2009, 03:09:10 pm »
My mate went up to the QPR game in 87 when Barnes knocked 2 in and we won 4-0 and i couldn't go as i had no money,always gutted i missed that one as it's fairly famous for Barnseys goals.

Offline kwalitee, no?

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #45 on: July 6, 2009, 03:09:27 pm »
There's a goal that hundreds, if not thousands, at least partly missed in 1988 - even though we were all at the game!

In that amazing 5-0 against Forest, I think it was the 5th goal, maybe the 4th in fact.

I unfortunately didn't just miss one goal, I missed the whole match  :butt
I was stuck on a train travelling back to Liverpool, it was the only match I missed that season.

Offline Spinney

• Kopite
  • Here we go again!
    • chris spinney
« Reply #46 on: July 6, 2009, 03:29:39 pm »
Last season Real Madrid 4-0
I was in Washington D.C. with my school, and I had to stay with the group I snuck off and saw that we were up 3-0 but I didn't get to see any of the actual goals.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #47 on: July 6, 2009, 03:45:03 pm »
Missed the Arsenal game where we won 2-1, Mellor last minute, and Xabi's fantastic finish.  Missed the bus :(

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #48 on: July 6, 2009, 03:45:52 pm »
Well because I come over there there's no reason to miss any matches.

Television doesn't count.

But the one goal I "missed" was Ryan Babels versus Man Utd last season. I hadn't left my seat but because I was on the aisle some idiot decides it's time to go to the loo or get a pie and he walked right in front of me. All I saw was the Kop erupt. I wanted to kick his arse down the steps at that point but decided just to celebrate with my mates.

Did see the replays in the pub celebrating the 2-1 win after mind. ;D
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #49 on: July 6, 2009, 03:46:04 pm »
Steve Sutton was the Forest keeper in that 5-0 game by the way - made several outstanding saves from memory. That's one of the games that I'm definitely lucky enough to be able to say "I was there (and watched every goal go in!)".

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 6, 2009, 03:56:28 pm »
LOL, just got me thinking there. I was in Egypt a couple of years ago too. The day I was flying home was the day of the derby (where Dirk scored two pens) I was getting the match updates via text whilst waiting in the duty free area for my flight home. At 1-1 and time running out I figured that was it until my mate called to say we had a pen in the last minute and Neville had been sent off. When Dirk scored I went mad, needless to say everyone shit themselves and turned around whilst my bird sheepishly slopped off to the perfume section.

I also remember a derby (must be about 5 years ago) This time I was in New York, got the times totally confused and rang my old man on Times Square for an update when he told me the game had finished and we had won 3-0. I was buzzing. i think it was the game where Kewell (and maybe Riise) scored.

was moving house that day with the mrs and my (then) 2wk old son Zak. listened to the 1st half commentary on 5live in the removals van on the way to the new place but switched off at ht to unload the van. finally heard the result at about 8pm that evening whilst sitting on boxes, yet to be unpacked, with a cold beer.

happy days after all.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline Danroge(Y.N.W.A)

• Main Stander
  • eat sleep and breath liverpool f.c
« Reply #51 on: July 6, 2009, 04:07:06 pm »
i missed the Chelsea semi in 05 was on the plane back from Barcelona got the first goal off the pilot and got in for the 6 Min's of added time it was hell on that aeroplane i can tell you that
i said a hip hop
the hippie the hippie
to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop the rock it

to the bang bang boogie, say up jumped the boogie
to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 6, 2009, 05:34:14 pm »
1985. Jan Molby. Top Left hand corner. Lost forever.
:o oh dear, thats a bad one to miss.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 6, 2009, 07:09:49 pm »
torres against blackburn this season! i wasnt feeling too good in the shits department! so said i wouldnt go...turn on the tv to watch it, pass...chest...volley...goal. was utterly devastated!
and torres hat trick against west ham last year, for the same reason!

Offline PattoLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 6, 2009, 07:40:32 pm »
Torres vs Arsenal in the quarter final, i missed that because my 1year old brother needed a bottle making.
And i missed the gerrard penalty in that same game due to the need of a piss  :(

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #55 on: July 6, 2009, 07:44:57 pm »
Roma 2-0. It was the first night of a student comedy night that we were running and so I passed my ticket on to a mate. He was made up, I was gutted.

Beskitas 8-0. Helping a mate of my Mum's move some stuff around in Warrington. The lad who I gave my ticket to kept on texting me the goals as they went in. I assumed he was taking the piss until I got to a radio for the last ten minutes. I learned a valuable lesson that day - never help your Mum instead of going to the match.
There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

Offline MAL05

• Kopite
  • JFT96 - YNWA
« Reply #56 on: July 6, 2009, 08:17:33 pm »
Never missed a goal at a match so these are both televised misses.  Missed the Gerrard goal against Olympiakos cause the Chinese was at the front door.  Also, missed Gerrard's winner in the FA Cup final against West Ham.......because I turned it over thinking it was over and I did not want to see West Ham celebrating as the whistle went.  Oh dear.
.."I am only thinking of the next game"..

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #57 on: July 6, 2009, 08:25:31 pm »
Not a miss, but when Gerrard scored the equaliser in the West Ham FA Cup final my mate whispered "Oh, the lino's disallowed it" to another one of the lads as we were celebrating. I thought he was going to pass out! Ace.
There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #58 on: July 6, 2009, 08:33:09 pm »
Also, missed Gerrard's winner in the FA Cup final against West Ham.......because I turned it over thinking it was over and I did not want to see West Ham celebrating as the whistle went.  Oh dear.

Naughty naughty, Istanbul was only a year before mate hahahaha
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Mr.Red

• meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh......meh
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #59 on: July 6, 2009, 08:37:56 pm »
That 3-3 against FC Basel in 2002.

Offline FOOT

• AND MOUTH
  • Kopite
  • British media - bunch of c*nts
« Reply #60 on: July 6, 2009, 08:56:29 pm »
I missed the Olympiakos game 2005.

I was on honeymoon - first night of a stop over in Bangkok - it was on at about 4am i think. I stayed up all night (fnar fnar) - watched the teams come out - then nothing - I fell asleep.

No idea why I was so tired  8)
THE TRUTH?

Lord Justice Taylor's official inquiry into the disaster disparaged The Sun's story and was unequivocal as to the disaster's cause:

The Taylor Report stated that official cause of the disaster was the failure of police control.

Offline NasEscobar

• Shirt fetishist
  • Legacy Fan
  • See you at the Barricades babe.
« Reply #61 on: July 6, 2009, 09:00:28 pm »
Istanbul. Exam Wankers.
Check me out y'all, Nasty Nas in your area, About to cause mass Hysteria.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 6, 2009, 09:02:13 pm »
Istanbul. Exam Wankers.

I remember having an English GCSE that day... I've always had exams around the CL final dates since as well. Bit shite.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #63 on: July 6, 2009, 09:04:53 pm »
Istanbul. Exam Wankers.

I had an exam 30 mins after the Barca Home match...needless to say I was pretty wasted and just managed a pass. All fucking worth it ;)
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Pure Blood Red

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #64 on: July 6, 2009, 09:18:43 pm »
Was watching the second champions league final against ac milan, had been on the beer all day and decided to run for a piss just as ac milan got the freekick on half time,needless to say the rest but always thought id jinxed us,didnt want to see them score just wish I hadnt left

Offline harrylfc

• Legacy Fan
  • XABI'S MATE
« Reply #65 on: July 6, 2009, 10:42:00 pm »
Fowlers headed winner in the second 4-3 game against Newcastle.Made a 300 mile round trip on me own that night,bought a ticket off a tout for £50,was sat right next to one of the exits in the main stand.When the mags 3rd goal went in i was well pissed of & thought that was that,so bearing in mind i had a 2 1/2 hour drive home decided to get a flyer.Hadnt got as far as the arkles when the roar went up.Some fella in a car had his window down with the game on the radio told me Robbie had scored!! Never fucked off early since.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #66 on: July 6, 2009, 10:42:07 pm »
Me and mate booked a holiday in Greece in early season before fixtures came out in 1989....wasnt too bothered at the time as it turned out we'd only miss............. Crystal Palace at home midweek game....

Online Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #67 on: July 6, 2009, 10:44:17 pm »
Has anybody said 2nd half of Istanbul yet?
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline NasEscobar

• Shirt fetishist
  • Legacy Fan
  • See you at the Barricades babe.
« Reply #68 on: July 6, 2009, 11:56:02 pm »
I remember having an English GCSE that day... I've always had exams around the CL final dates since as well. Bit shite.

Yep.

English and P.E. for me. If it had just been the English in the morning I'd have seen about getting the last plane from Speke but oh no, they had to schedule two on that day.
Check me out y'all, Nasty Nas in your area, About to cause mass Hysteria.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #69 on: July 7, 2009, 12:31:23 am »
Me and mate booked a holiday in Greece in early season before fixtures came out in 1989....wasnt too bothered at the time as it turned out we'd only miss............. Crystal Palace at home midweek game....

oh dear
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 7, 2009, 12:36:48 am »
:lmao   

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #71 on: July 7, 2009, 01:16:34 am »
I missed the FA Cup final in 2006. Was on a weekend activity trip with school. Got my Dad to keep me updated though :)

Offline Tez Arne

• Anny Roader
« Reply #72 on: July 7, 2009, 01:21:10 am »
To this day i still havn't seen the goal Nigel Clough scored against QPR at Loftus road  :(

Offline Shambles.....with a capital S!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • In it for the long haul. Come on you Reds.
« Reply #73 on: July 7, 2009, 02:12:26 am »
Absolutely gutted I missed the FA Cup final in 2006. Went out with a few mates paintballing as they were travelling fairly soon. They had a radio station on and were really discrete in revealing the score, just some snide snippets so i really didn't have a clue what was going on. Avoided hearing anything about the game as I had it Sky+'d at home.
Got a lift with a mates dad on the way back, first thing he says is, "wow, you boys missed an awesome FA Cup final today went down to penalties"

I was fuming. As when I went back to watch it I knew that we would get the equaliser somehow, never imagined it to be that late a dramatic! As soon as the ball fell to Gerrard, I said this is it! And ba-da bing ba-da boom! ;D

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #74 on: July 7, 2009, 02:17:13 am »
missed most of the gerrard cup final because of work, but listening to the 90th min equaliser on the radio, i very nearlly crashed my car
YNWA

Offline Dave Mc

• Legacy Fan
  • I 'll be back for breakfast
« Reply #75 on: July 7, 2009, 02:23:02 am »

Gerrard's goal in Istanbul. Worst timed visit to the loo ever.
Mark Noble is a shithouse!! - Phil M, 5/3/08

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 7, 2009, 07:44:08 am »
I unfortunately didn't just miss one goal, I missed the whole match  :butt
I was stuck on a train travelling back to Liverpool, it was the only match I missed that season.
Gutted! I might have to rub it in some more then ;)

Steve Sutton was the Forest keeper in that 5-0 game by the way - made several outstanding saves from memory. That's one of the games that I'm definitely lucky enough to be able to say "I was there (and watched every goal go in!)".

Right, Sutton was the keeper left in awe, shaking his head. Loads of saves. We hit the woodwork several times too. Beardsley was immense.

I remembered it wrong in other ways too. It was the third goal, Gillespie's goal, that we were all laughing, looking at each other and going "What the hell happened there?" to - and the BBC cameras missed the build-up to too. I'm pretty sure Beardsley had just been denied by the post and then Sutton in quick succession and when we scored so quickly from the corner I promise you a lot of people had missed the passes from the corner to Gillespie - even if they saw Gillespie's finish. It was bewildering stuff.

What an amazing game and I'm lucky and more than a little proud to have made the effort to get to Liverpool and be standing on the Kop that night.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LmyzLuxRBUE&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LmyzLuxRBUE&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Motson: "Are Liverpool the best of all time?"
Sir Tom Finney: "Well ... certainly on tonight. Well I think they are, yes; I think it's fair to say. That's the finest exhibition I've seen, the whole time I've played - and watched the game." [At that time, he had been playing and watching the game for 42 years (not including the first 22 years of his life)]

Sir Tom Finney as quoted on LFChistory.net: "It was the finest exhibition I've seen the whole time I've played and watched the game. You couldn't see it bettered anywhere, not even in Brazil. The moves they put together were fantastic."

Sir Tom Finney, Liverpool-Kop: "The game of the century" - Liverpool's destruction of Nottingham Forest in 1988, (I think there may be some paraphrasing here - the interview with Motson above is a direct quote): “I think that’s one of the finest exhibitions of football I’ve ever seen in my life, I mean it was absolutely tremendous; well deserved...the skills and the speed the game was played at was absolutely tremendous. I came away thinking I’ve been really entertained, and I’m sure that...the spectators here saw an exhibition tonight that will never be bettered, I don’t think”.

Who is Sir Tom Finney?

Bill Shankly: "Tom Finney would have been great in any team, in any match and in any age ... even if he had been wearing an overcoat."

Shankly was also once asked about how a top star of the day compared to Finney: "Aye, he's as good as Tommy – but then Tommy's nearly 60 now."

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #77 on: July 7, 2009, 11:18:21 am »
I've only missed 2 goals and both of them pretty recent.

The first one i missed was Gerrards last minute screamer against West Ham at Cardiff. I was texting my mate who couldnt get a ticket for the match and was replying to his latest message about how our luck was out and to get home and out in town tonight. Just as i pressed send i swear i heard the ball hit the back of the net as i was only in about row 7 right behind the goal.

The other one i missed was Torres volley against blackburn. It was only early in the game and some knobhead couldnt figure out where his seat was so was walking up and down irritating everyone. I had a look at his ticket and as I was talking to him carragher punted the ball up to torres and it was 1-0.

Offline gnaume

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wow! My subconsciousness is a genius!
« Reply #78 on: July 7, 2009, 11:29:19 am »
Missed Garcia's goal against chelsea in the 2005 semis. Went to the fridge to get beer for me and me dad when he started screaming like crazy. Ran back and saw the mad celebrations

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #79 on: July 7, 2009, 11:53:04 am »
I watched the first leg game against Real Madrid last season, loved Yossi's goal and the slender lead it gave us. Next week I was all set to watch the second leg, then I overslept. Woke up in a panic to turn on the TV, and the boys had already made it 4-nil. Nearly drove myself mad waiting for the replays of the goals.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.