Author Topic: 2019 RAWK Album of The Year. Votes in till 31 Dec  (Read 13852 times)

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2019 RAWK Album of The Year.
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2019, 07:05:15 pm »
1. The National - I Am Easy to Find
2. Brockhampton- Ginger
3. The Menzingers - Hello Exile
4. Slowthai - Nothing Great About Britain
5. Busted - Halfway There
6. Bon Iver - ii
7. Denzel Curry - Zuu
8. Maggie Rogers - Heard It In a Past Life
9. Tallest Man on Earth - I Love you it’s a fever dream

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2019, 12:15:22 am »
The new KAYTRANADA album that dropped yesterday might just have slipped into my top 5 last minute. Cheered me up after yesterday’s dark day.

Always like to see a new entry.

I see a few Tool's about. And Whitesnake are still around!? Is that a get-back-together or have they been going all these years? I like these things. Dad's ROCK. cloggypop told me Circle Jerks are touring earlier, and Dead C are playing in Cafe Oto next May which is Dad heaven for me.

Now that I have children getting to an age, I am voting for my son (9) with 1) Billie Eilish: When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

Was quite close timeline wise as to who was first to hear of Billie Eilish, but his enthusiasm won out. For a while I thought she/they overplayed it with an opening banger and then it fell away into dross, but really enjoying it more now that he plays it alot.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2019, 12:17:30 am »
Awesome lists lads. Love this time of year, mostly for this (/these) thread(s). Thanks for doing this Filler mate and thanks everyone who has contributed, or will soon. If I forget to get round to doing one myself due to inveterate slackness, could you just say my top three is probably Dawson, Callahan and Rapsody, probably in that order? Ta. Really liked that FKA Twigs one too. Loads actually, it seems like it's been a pretty good year musicwise. Lots of good rap, for what seems like the first time in a while, a few decent bits of soul too. Which was nice.

It's not much work really. I will rig it (if necessary).

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2019, 12:29:54 am »
Only new albums I've listened to this year were Cave's 'Ghosteen' and Oh Sees 'Face Stabber' - both excellent.

I like votes like these.

Jake: that's one vote at the top for Richard Dawson 2020. He will not be counted as a 2nd place vote.

Speaking of voting points:

This is how we line up:

1. ....... 10 points

2. .........6 points

3. .........6 points.

4. .........4 points.

5. .........4 points.

6. .........4 points.

7. .........3 points

8. ......... 3 points

9. ......... 2 points

10........ 2 points.

and 1 point for any reason you may choose. From worst bandname to best cover, or an album you had a moment with to an album you need a moment from. I will try and work out if that ruins things or not. [edit]... over time. [/edit]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:38:11 am by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2019, 12:31:21 am »
ISpeaking of voting points:

Based on a chess notation of 'value' if you are wondering. Sort of.

Q = 10
R= 6
B=4
N=4
p=1
K=1

edit: Bishop is more 4.1 and Knight 3.9 for all us Pitchfork fans.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 01:56:56 am by Filler. »

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2019, 02:29:22 am »

1. Jaimie Branch: Fly or Die II: bird dogs of paradise.

This is sensationally good
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2019, 02:37:45 am »
It's so good I had to stop everything I was doing just to take it in. Feel like I'm having a religious experience over here.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2019, 04:43:15 pm »
It's so good I had to stop everything I was doing just to take it in. Feel like I'm having a religious experience over here.

;D Great stuff. Signed copies of the album still available at https://www.strangerthanparadiserecords.com/

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2019, 05:16:15 pm »
Ha I know mate. Its the only new album I've enjoyed this year, although this thread will give me some things to listen to.

You may like the Jaimie Branch. Even tho very different from Richard Dawson, I do believe they would make a fantastic double bill live.

Like every year, there's too many releases to keep up with... plus re-releases and compilations and the like. I can never tell if one year is 'better' than the next but this seemed pretty decent.

Hoping the RAOTY lists will be pretty varied too.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2019, 07:43:35 pm »
I tried it but wasn't a big fan.

Switched it off too early ;)

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2019, 08:00:23 pm »
Tool - Fear Inoculum.

This is the correct answer. Thank you!  8)
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2019, 10:29:39 am »
Enjoying the posts coming in so far.  This year's been absolutely brilliant for me - no idea how I'm going to narrow things down to a top 10!

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2019, 02:02:48 pm »
Seriously tho... was mad that he came out with an album. Yet to hear it.

That's some posthumous release.  :lmao

Seriously though, for real, thanks for setting this up Filler!
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2019, 03:23:26 pm »
A vote in from 'irc65' .. not enough posts to post his list in here yet so has IM'd me with it. Others are free to IM me with theirs too.

10. The Imperial - the Delines
9. Drift Code - Rustin Man
8. UFOF - Big Thief
7. Sinner - Leslie Stevens
6. Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains
5. Two Hands - Big Thief
4. Inferno - Robert Forster
3. All Mirrors - Angel Olsen
2. Titanic Rising - Weyes Blood
1. On the Line - Jenny Lewis

(preferably the right way up tho ;D)

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2019, 03:41:57 pm »
Always like to see a new entry.

. And Whitesnake are still around!? Is that a get-back-together or have they been going all these years?

Sort of always been around but inactive at times. to be honest, I've never been a big fan, but I heard a few tracks and thought that the new album is just a great rock album, hence its appearance in my list.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2019, 06:36:27 pm »
Sort of always been around but inactive at times. to be honest, I've never been a big fan, but I heard a few tracks and thought that the new album is just a great rock album, hence its appearance in my list.

Surely a first for Whitesnake in the RAOTY awards which is great to see.

Also: if people could put band name first, then album title that would be great. Not a biggie but helps continuity. Cheers.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2019, 11:24:07 pm »
Got incidental confirmation today that in irc65's list it didn't include a typo. Had wondered about UFO/UFOF. Not huge news, but news nonetheless.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2019, 11:30:46 pm »
I have been told to listen to Big Thief for a while now. See? This is why I need band names first. Am telling myself it's for an excel dream of mine but am probably being ambitious.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2019, 11:48:06 pm »
Best reissues too. Been loads. Favourite of mine was Hex Enduction Hour able and abetted by a superb book by Paul Hanley on it all. Was a good year for Fall fans.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2019, 10:54:47 am »
Vampire Weekend - Father of The Bride
Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Drugdealer - Raw Honey
Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell
Fat White Family - Serfs Up!
Foals - Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost (Part I)
Ezra Furman - Twelve Nudes
Hot Chip - A Bath Full Of Ecstasy
Danny Brown - uknowhatimsayin
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana

In that order from top to bottom.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2019, 09:08:05 pm »
1. Jaimie Branch: Fly or Die II: bird song of paradise
2. Richard Dawson: 2020
3. Shit 'n Shine:
4. Bill Callahan:
5. Sunwatchers
6. Tropical Trash
7. Ellen Arkbro
8. Caroline Shaw
9. Black Monument Ensemble
10. Billie Eilish
11. Sly & Family Drone

1. Jaimie Branch: Fly or Die II: bird song of paradise

Man, I waited ages for this I think. When I got the heads up I didn't know anything about this. Age, country, sex, style, nothing. I didn't know if it was jazz, electronica, ambient, psych - I just put it on. And I haven't stopped just putting it on

A summary:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a6ceFg0-JJM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a6ceFg0-JJM</a>

2) Richard Dawson: 2020

Bought the David Squires issue and that whole thing didn't work for me. One of the reasons it's number 2. He's the top dog, head henchoz, number one. As a dad of a 9 year old who plays football tho - and a lover of Richard Dawson, you're talking high intensity love-ins. Anthemic track of 2019. Also.. see '[url=http://Jogging]Jogging[/url]'

3) Tropical Trash: Southern Indiana Drone Footage
https://tropicaltrash.bandcamp.com/album/southern-indiana-drone-footage

My Yer Da record. Loved this... couldn't find a hard copy in the UK but wanting one. Played it to death.

4. Ellen Arkbro: Chords

Drone on organ and guitar. Much has been said about Sunn O)) by good men and women but I find them a little heavy. More my space is Ellen Arkbro. Her previous was fantastic, but this is bloody lovely too.

5. Bill Callahan: Shepherd in a Sheepskin Vest

Realised this evening that the real reason why I love a 2xLP Gatefold is that I can see them.

12. Big Stick
13. Guided By Voices
14. Gum Takes Tooth
15. USA?Mexico

Bought the vast majority of these . Need to save and reboot.

edit: I'll be editing this post when I feel the need. I don't have a way to write and save. Feel free to do the same to your votes - not add another list n stuff as that would do my head in.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:30:04 pm by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2019, 10:09:18 pm »
Since we started this thread we've become World Club Champions. That's right - in only 2 weeks. We need more votes. You can edit your choice with gay abandon till deadline date.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2019, 10:23:46 pm »
As proprietor of this annual award, it's important for me to encourage those with not a view of 'what was best' etc, but simply to put forward those you enjoyed. We are European and World Club Cup Champions after all.

1... 2... 309 choices. Doesn't matter.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2019, 10:28:03 pm »
1... 2... 309 choices. Doesn't matter.

11-309 get a point.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2019, 10:32:40 pm »
11-309 get a point.

When I'm more sober ask me again if this will be a thing.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2019, 09:16:29 am »
Rammstein-Rammstein.
Tool- Fear Inoculum.
Drab Majesty- Modern Mirror.
Lana Del Ray- Norman Fucking Rodwell.
Slipknot-We are not your kind.
Charli XCX- Charli.
Fountaines DC-Dogrel.
Weyes Blood- Titanic Rising.

Very sad that The National put a lot of female vocals on their album that ruined what could have been a better album.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 04:49:14 pm by Raaphael »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2019, 09:26:46 am »

Very sad that The National put a lot of female vocals on their album that ruined what could have been a better album.

Can I ask why the female vocals ruined the album? I thought they actually added a different dimension to a band that vocally kept producing a similar sound. Vampire Weekend injected some female vocals with just as much success and to be honest I think it's an element that can freshen things up for some bands who are deep into their careers.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2019, 09:40:03 am »
Can I ask why the female vocals ruined the album? I thought they actually added a different dimension to a band that vocally kept producing a similar sound. Vampire Weekend injected some female vocals with just as much success and to be honest I think it's an element that can freshen things up for some bands who are deep into their careers.

I just don`t like them on that album. They annoy me. Don`t think they add anything that makes the album better, I think they make the album worse soundwise, concept or not. I`d prefer to hear Matt Berninger all the time as he`s a big part of the sound. Taking more of him away makes the album more ordinary in my opinion. It`s like taking away an instrument or element of the music that makes The National what it is. As a huge National fan I think it`s a rather disappointing album. They never make bad albums, but in my opinion they hit their peak a couple of albums ago. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 09:46:54 am by Raaphael »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2019, 10:10:57 am »
I just don`t like them on that album. They annoy me. Don`t think they add anything that makes the album better, I think they make the album worse soundwise, concept or not. I`d prefer to hear Matt Berninger all the time as he`s a big part of the sound. Taking more of him away makes the album more ordinary in my opinion. It`s like taking away an instrument or element of the music that makes The National what it is. As a huge National fan I think it`s a rather disappointing album. They never make bad albums, but in my opinion they hit their peak a couple of albums ago.

I think the female elements are the flip on Yin/Yang with the female being the positive to Matt's usual negative. I believe that Gail, Lisa and Kate add a light to Matt's darkness. A bit like how Shara, Tracey, Elizabeth and Martina bringing another element to Massive Attack. Vampire Weekend did the same with Danielle Haim on Father of the Bride.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2019, 10:19:41 am »
I think the female elements are the flip on Yin/Yang with the female being the positive to Matt's usual negative. I believe that Gail, Lisa and Kate add a light to Matt's darkness. A bit like how Shara, Tracey, Elizabeth and Martina bringing another element to Massive Attack. Vampire Weekend did the same with Danielle Haim on Father of the Bride.

Well. I don`t care for that. I just want the National albums to be great. They may be sad miserable bastard albums as long as they`re great. The last album is not great, it`s just good/decent/solid. And I don`t like Vampire Weekend either. Not my thing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 10:29:44 am by Raaphael »

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2019, 12:22:15 pm »
Don't know why but I have barely listened to any albums this year. But from the ones I have:-

1. Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell
2. Fontaines D.C. - Dogrel
3. Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride
4. Foals - Part 1
5. black midi - Schlagenheim
6. Foals - Part 2
7. Drenge - Strange Creatures

Will try and catch up more in the next week and see what else has been going on. Sounds like Richard Dawson is a must.

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2019, 02:35:06 pm »
1) Slipknot - we are not your kind
2) John Paul White - The Hurting Kind
3) Chelsea Wolfe - Birth of Violence
4) Rammstein - Rammstein
5) Tool - Fear Inoculum
6) Alex Cameron - Miami Memory
7) Badflower - Ok, I'm sick
8.) The High women - The High women
9) Desert Sessions - 11 & 12
10) Jenny Lewis - On the Line
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 09:08:31 pm by Casta »
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2019, 07:22:24 pm »

Could have been an even better album if they'd replaced more members of the National with guests. If they changed out the bass player, singer, guitarist, drummer etc., they may have made a truly class LP that sounded nothing like The National at all. Maybe something exciting for them to consider in the future.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2019, 07:25:30 pm »
Could have been an even better album if they'd replaced more members of the National with guests. If they changed out the bass player, singer, guitarist, drummer etc., they may have made a truly class LP that sounded nothing like The National at all. Maybe something exciting for them to consider in the future.

So you hate The National.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2019, 07:31:53 pm »
So you hate The National.

Hate is a strong word. Just find myself nonplussed by their continued veneration. Very thin gruel. The American Elbow.

Really liked the Grateful Dead tribute box they put together, but that's my favourite thing they've touched by far.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2019, 07:50:43 pm »
More brand than band these days, big venues, comfort zone buzz. They were alright for a while in the mid 00s, and I like that side project Clogs. Liked Sad Songs For.... Your man's voice and their seemingly single pace of song made them a one trick pony for me in the end. I'm sure they had different types of song, but not to my ears. Glad they tried break their own recent creative torpor with the female vocal project. Will give it a listen. 

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2019, 07:52:22 pm »
I believe Boxer, High Violet and Trouble will find me- especially are all classics and some of the best albums of the last decade.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2019, 07:57:57 pm »
Ah yeah, each to their own, if you love them that's cool. Always thought they were just refining and retreading ground they'd already covered by Aligator. More expensive production but similar. Glad they changed it up. Sounds like it might be interesting. Will come back with a review.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2019, 08:44:18 pm »
Here we go. Unlike a few on here, I have found 2019 to be a strong year for music.

1.) The Twilight Sad - It won/t be like this all the time
2.) Drugdealer - Raw Honey
3.) Bat for Lashes - Lost girls
4.) WH Lung - Incidental Music
5.) Perfect Son - Cast
6.) Ride - This is not a safe place
7.) Silversun Pickups - Widow's weeds
8.) Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rock well!
9.) Richard Hawley - Further
10.) Foals - Part 1 - Everything not saved will be lost

I'm looking forward to reading more top 10s in the coming days! [emoji106]

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2019, 09:14:30 pm »

I'm looking forward to reading more top 10s in the coming days! [emoji106]

Indeed. Keep them coming.