Author Topic: Reds off to the Algarve/Trouble in Paradise  (Read 57323 times)

Offline Leggy

• Main Stander
  • No you won't fool the children of the Rafalution
Re: Reds off to the Algarve/Trouble in Paradise
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2007, 11:34:56 am »
Despite no apparent bruises JAR still hasn't managed to wash all the blood out of his hair yet. :P

Offline AlanK

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2007, 11:35:25 am »
Just heard Kewell is out for another 3 months after fracturing 2 bones in his arm after a training ground hugging incident.

poor lad ;D

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2007, 11:49:36 am »
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2007, 11:59:08 am »
Good to see Mascherano there.  I assume he will be available for Europe seeing as how UEFA have given him clearance.  Does anyone know for sure?

He'll still be rusty I'm sure but could make the bench with the extra places in Europe
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2007, 12:00:35 pm »

Kaizer - given how all your sources in the Norweigan media said Riise was on deaths door, had 3 broken legs and was due in for an amputation this morning, how do you explain the complete lack of even a bruise on his legs?

I mean, obviously the norweigan media weren't wrong (they never are, and never lie or spin stories, I'm informed), so is John a fantastically fast healer, or is he wearing make up?
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline RayO'Biscan

• Who controls the past, controls the future.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass 'n' Move!

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2007, 12:11:24 pm »
What's with all the hugging and holding hands in the photos?, we don't do that at five a side.

Offline redviking

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2007, 12:13:53 pm »
all eyes on the barca match now please!
 i guess what really happend in algarve will come up sooner or later, but lets try to focus on the big game for now....

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2007, 12:15:30 pm »
Bellamy faces uncertain future as Liverpool reel from golf club attack

Louise Taylor
Monday February 19, 2007
The Guardian

Liverpool's preparations for Wednesday's Champions League game at Barcelona have been overshadowed by drunken misbehaviour on the Algarve. Craig Bellamy is facing a heavy fine and an uncertain future after a night out allegedly concluded with the forward using a golf club to attack his team-mate John Arne Riise.

Riise, who seemingly sustained bruises to his legs, was able to train alongside Bellamy yesterday and may receive a lesser punishment. He could well be joined on the Anfield roll of shame by Jermaine Pennant, Jerzy Dudek and Robbie Fowler, who all face club sanctions after police intervention was required to quell that trio's alcohol-fuelled antics.

Rafael Benítez's squad flew to Portugal eight days ago for a training camp before the game at Camp Nou. After five days of training Benítez allowed his players to let their hair down on Thursday night at the Vale do Lobo resort, where they were staying, and is understood to be dismayed that a handful abused his trust. An internal club investigation is now under way but no conclusions are anticipated until the squad's return from Barcelona.

"I met this morning with the entire first-team squad and made it absolutely clear to all of them the responsibilities that come with playing for this club and the way they are expected to conduct themselves both on and off the pitch," said Benítez, who may well decide to cut his losses on Bellamy and sell the combustible Welshman this summer.

"The players worked extremely hard at last week's training camp," added the Liverpool manager. "But we will take disciplinary action and fine any of them who are found to have breached club rules during our stay in Portugal. I've told the players this and they understand and accept the decision I have taken. Despite reports to the contrary, the spirit among the lads is very good with everyone looking forward to the Barcelona game."

The dispute involving Bellamy and Riise seemingly started with a karaoke competition in the early hours of Friday morning, when Bellamy took offence at the Norwegian left-back's refusal to sing.

Increasingly irritated by the Welshman's jibes, Riise reportedly became incandescent and, surrounded by fellow players, the pair squared up to each other, trading expletives. Although things calmed down as the group dispersed and headed for their rooms, Bellamy apparently felt he had lost face in front of his team-mates and, having armed himself with a golf club, tracked down Riise before allegedly swinging it at his legs.

Benítez, who had spent the earlier part of the evening at the nearby resort of Vilamoura, was contacted and he separated the clearly inebriated pair.

Age Hareide, the Norway manager, was sufficiently concerned to phone Riise yesterday before reporting: "John Arne is fine, he escaped without injuries."

The evening had begun quietly enough with the players enjoying a group meal but, according to a source, things turned distinctly "lively" as the post-dinner drinks flowed. Eventually security police stepped in to calm Pennant, Fowler and Dudek, with the latter apparently particularly boisterous. Nevertheless newspaper reports that a policeman was head-butted and extensive damage caused are claimed to be "well wide of the mark and wildly exaggerated".

It is possible that Benítez - who cannot be delighted at having to explain his players' behaviour to the club's new owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks - will continue to field the miscreants, Bellamy included. However once the transfer window opens they may well find themselves moved on. "You've got to realise this manager is a pragmatist," said a source.

Benítez is planning for next season and yesterday Liverpool announced that Andriy Voronin, the Ukraine striker, will be joining from Bayer Leverkusen. Voronin, 27, and with six goals in 20 Bundesliga appearances this season, has agreed a four-year contract at Anfield.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Malski

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • "There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2007, 12:21:13 pm »
Kaizer - given how all your sources in the Norweigan media said Riise was on deaths door, had 3 broken legs and was due in for an amputation this morning, how do you explain the complete lack of even a bruise on his legs?

I mean, obviously the norweigan media weren't wrong (they never are, and never lie or spin stories, I'm informed), so is John a fantastically fast healer, or is he wearing make up?

Since our team do look so gay on the photo's, maybe what actually happened was that Dudek had been handcuffed to JAR's bed, as a bit of foreplay  he was in the shower getting ready to slip into something a bit more comfortable, Bellamy burst in and attacked the figure which was on JAR's bed, in the process smashing the bed to pieces.  Dudek ran for his life after receiving a clubbing to the head, bumped into security, still handcuffed shouting "I Love You" to everyone. 

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2007, 12:22:14 pm »
Angry Benitez ushers Bellamy nearer Anfield exit after fracas
James Ducker
The Times
February 19, 2007

Craig Bellamy will be the first casualty of a summer clear-out at Liverpool after the striker’s controversial career took another turn for the worse during a drunken night at the club’s training camp in Portugal.

Rafael BenÍtez was forced to issue a statement condemning the behaviour of his players when word reached an incandescent George Gillett Jr and Tom Hicks, the American sports tycoons who bought Liverpool in a £470 million takeover earlier this month.

Although the manager was already giving consideration to offloading Bellamy and a number of other players, the Wales forward’s latest brush with authority has effectively sealed his fate.

The trouble is alleged to have begun in the early hours of Friday in a bar close to the team’s hotel in the plush Algarve resort of Vale Do Lobo, where Liverpool had spent the week training in preparation for the first leg of their Champions League first knockout round tie away to Barcelona on Wednesday.

Bellamy is said to have got involved in a drunken exchange with John Arne Riise, his teammate, over karaoke that resulted in him hitting the defender around the legs with a golf club. Riise, who apparently was not drinking, was said to be unhurt. Other players, including Jerzy Dudek, Jermaine Pennant and Robbie Fowler, were also accused of being drunk and rowdy.

Steven Gerrard, the captain, and Peter Crouch are believed to have attempted to defuse the situation, but police were called and while no one was arrested or charged, one player – understood to be Dudek, the goalkeeper – is reported to have been momentarily placed in handcuffs before being released.

Although everyone trained the next morning and again yesterday, with the club putting on a united front and insisting that there were no divisions in the camp, BenÍtez – who was woken from his hotel room to deal with the matter – is understood to be furious that the players could behave in such a manner on the eve of arguably their biggest game of the season.

Having listened all week to talk of dissent in the Barcelona camp, the Liverpool manager is concerned that news of the rumpus could play into the Spanish team’s hands. Neither has word of the fracas been well received in the United States, with Gillett and Hicks thought to be dismayed about the adverse publicity and keen for action to be taken.

In a strongly worded statement issued yesterday, BenÍtez said that all those players deemed to have been involved will be fined, although a financial penalty is probably the least of Bellamy’s concerns.

While Dudek and Fowler were always going to be leaving the club at the end of the season – BenÍtez has already found a replacement for Fowler in Andriy Voronin, the Bayer Leverkusen and Ukraine striker, who has agreed in principle to a four-year deal that will commence in July – Bellamy’s future did at least appear his to decide.

Having warned the Wales striker about his behaviour when he signed for the club last June, the manager is said to feel “let down” by his actions. In December, the striker, who had a very public falling-out with Graeme Souness, the manager, when he was at Newcastle United, was acquitted of assaulting a woman in a Cardiff bar in December.

BenÍtez said: “I met this morning with the entire first-team squad and made it absolutely clear to all of them the responsibilities that come with playing for this club and the way they are expected to conduct themselves both on and off the pitch.

“The players worked extremely hard at last week’s training camp, but we will take disciplinary action and fine any of them who are found to have breached club rules during our stay in Portugal.

“Despite reports to the contrary, the spirit among the lads is very good with everyone looking forward to the game against Barcelona on Wednesday. We remain totally focused on what will be a tough game against the defending European champions.”
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2007, 12:25:29 pm »
 Benitez needs to ignore feuds
By Alan Hansen
Telegraph
19/02/2007

Liverpool are different from any of the other English clubs in the Champions League. Chelsea are competing for four trophies, Manchester United for three, Arsenal are still in the Carling Cup and the FA Cup but for Liverpool what happens against Barcelona will define their season. They have nothing else to play for.

Rafa Benitez will know what awaits him in the Nou Camp on Wednesday. Barcelona play fast, flowing attacking football and yet when they faced Chelsea in the group stages, they appeared very vulnerable to the counter attack. They are formidable but what they are definitely not is unbeatable.

Liverpool have cause for optimism. They can look back two years at the incredible atmosphere Anfield generated in European nights against Juventus and Chelsea and imagine they can repeat them.

If they have to go to the Nou Camp, shut the game out and return home with a goalless draw, then so be it. Benitez would take it now. In between, they have Manchester United coming to Anfield; this is two weeks that will shape Liverpool's season and Benitez knows it cannot be allowed to end on March 6.

It is a time for strong minds and what has happened at Liverpool's training camp in Portugal can hardly have helped. Whatever the truth behind the fracas involving Craig Bellamy and John Arne Riise, it will count for nothing once the players cross the white line to play but it will affect the build-up. Barcelona may have their own problems between Samuel Eto'o, Ronaldinho and the manager, Frank Rijkaard, but that is even more reason why Liverpool should have gone to Spain 100 per cent together.

A strong manager would ignore the personal animosities and play his best team. Bob Paisley would certainly have done so, whatever happened before the game. It is a big decision for Benitez, but Wednesday's match is full of massive decisions.

Who does he play at centre-back alongside Jamie Carragher? Does he go for the understanding Sami Hyypia has built up with Carragher over the years and his experience of the big occasion or look at Sami's lack of pace and wonder if his back line will be ripped apart by Barcelona's quick feet.

Chelsea and Manchester United have the opposite problem to Liverpool. They also need strong minds not because the Champions League is the only thing left to play for but because the big games are coming thick and fast. Their matches against Porto and Lille may be straightforward but they have to look to what lies beyond.

Both Mr. Ferguson and Jose Mourinho have won the Premiership and the Champions League before and they know the requirements of course and distance. If you study Cristiano Ronaldo; he is the best player in the country but he has never won the Premiership or the European Cup. There is a danger he might be led by events or miss the vital signs but in Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes he is surrounded by people who have been there.

They know that however tough the season appears in September and October, the real pressure comes in February, March and April, when a game against Watford can suddenly appear the most important of your life. They know that a dressing room can be the centre for the kind of euphoria that will take you on to the next game or a chasm where your hopes will be buried.

I have been in dressing rooms chasing three or four trophies in seasons where there were no cameras and you were only on the back or inside-back page of a newspaper rather than the front. You take the pressure with you on to the training ground and it is still there when you get home and it only ends when your season ends.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2007, 12:26:24 pm »
Bellamy back in spotlight after karaoke flare-up
Telegraph
By Tim Rich
19/02/2007

The biggest row Rafael Benitez had with his players when at Valencia was over whether they should eat ice cream made with skimmed milk. Yesterday the Liverpool manager attempted to defuse lurid allegations that Craig Bellamy had attacked John Arne Riise with a golf club by threatening sanctions against any player found to have stepped out of line at their training camp in Portugal.

Reports yesterday stated that Bellamy had attacked his team-mate because the Norwegian defender had not wanted to join a karaoke session at the Vale do Lobo resort in the Algarve, where Liverpool were preparing for Wednesday's Champions League encounter with Barcelona.

The argument escalated and Bellamy is alleged to have returned to his room, picked up a golf club and aimed it at Riise's legs. Yesterday the Norway manager, Age Hareide, confirmed he had spoken to Riise about the incident. He said: "Things in general are not good, but John Arne is OK and escaped without injuries."

Benitez felt strongly enough to issue a statement reminding his players of their responsibilities. "I met this morning with the entire first-team squad and made it absolutely clear the responsibilities that come with playing for this club and the way they are expected to conduct themselves on and off the pitch," he said.

"The players worked extremely hard at last week's training camp but we will take disciplinary action and fine any of them who have breached club rules during our stay in Portugal. I have told the players this and they understand and accept the decision I have taken."

For Bellamy, the timing could hardly be worse. Not only has he risked his place at the Nou Camp, the Welshman has put his own off-field behaviour that dogged his time at Newcastle once more at the top of the agenda. On Tyneside he managed to survive throwing a chair at Sir Bobby Robson's assistant, John Carver, in the departure lounge at Newcastle Airport, and a host of dressing-room confrontations.

It was only when he called Graeme Souness, Robson's successor as Newcastle manager, a liar that he was forced out of St James' Park.

Bellamy already faces greater competition at Anfield next season. Liverpool's negotiations with Bayer Leverkusen to bring in the Ukraine centre forward, Andriy Voronin, are well advanced. Voronin would replace Robbie Fowler, who is leaving Anfield, probably for America, in the summer. However, although Bellamy's scoring record at Liverpool is better than it was at Newcastle, where he managed 27 Premiership goals in three-and-a-half seasons, he is not indispensable.

Neither is Samuel Eto'o. The Barcelona striker, who has made a series of inflammatory remarks at team-mate Ronaldinho and refused to play as a substitute against Racing Santander, was again left out against Valencia, although this was ostensibly to rest a knee injury.

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #173 on: February 19, 2007, 12:27:22 pm »

Well as far as I know its been said all the time that Riise got away from it without injuries, just some bruises and knocks.
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #174 on: February 19, 2007, 12:27:55 pm »
Benitez vows to act over Bellamy 'golf club attack'
Independent
By Sam Wallace, Football Correspondent
Published: 19 February 2007

The Liverpool manager, Rafael Benitez, last night promised an internal club investigation and potential disciplinary action after their preparations for the Champions League tie against Barcelona on Wednesday suffered a serious setback with allegations that Craig Bellamy attacked John Arne Riise with a golf club at a training camp in Portugal.

Last night, Liverpool tried to reassure supporters by releasing authorised pictures of Bellamy and Riise training together yesterday in what looked like amicable circumstances. It would appear Benitez is determined not to allow anything to affect his preparations for the game at the Nou Camp, although Bellamy's long-term future at the club is by no means certain. The Spanish manager also called a squad meeting to remind all the players of their responsibilities towards the club.

The alleged attack took place while Benitez's squad took advantage of a week without any fixtures by training at the Algarve Vale do Lobo resort for five days. Bellamy is alleged to have attacked Riise after the Norwegian international's refusal of his offer to join in a karaoke session at a bar escalated into a full-blown argument. The News of the World alleged that Bellamy mulled over the slight before seeking out Riise, 25, and struck him about the legs with a golf club.

In a statement released yesterday, Benitez said that he would be investigating the events of that night and promised punishments for those involved. It is also alleged that Jerzy Dudek was involved in a separate incident; the 33-year-old goalkeeper is out of contract at the end of the season.

"I met this morning with the entire first-team squad and made it absolutely clear to all of them the responsibilities that come with playing for this club and the way they are expected to conduct themselves both on and off the pitch," Benitez said.

"The players worked extremely hard at last week's training camp, but we will take disciplinary action and fine any of them who are found to have breached club rules during our stay in Portugal. I've told the players this and they understand and accept the decision I have taken.

"Despite reports to the contrary, the spirit amongst the lads is very good with everyone looking forward to the game against Barcelona on Wednesday. We remain totally focused on what will be a very tough game against the defending European champions."

Allegations that Liverpool players caused damage to the hotel they were staying in, the Barringtons Centro Desportivo are, it is understood, completely unfounded. The club had gone there at relatively short notice after their elimination from the FA Cup by Arsenal gave them a clear run without any fixtures between the defeat to Newcastle on 10 February and Wednesday's game.

Bellamy joined Liverpool in July after Benitez exploited a buyout clause in his Blackburn Rovers contract that allowed the player to leave if a club involved in the Champions League made a bid for him. Paying £6.5m for the Welsh international with a history of violence on the pitch, and a controversial life off it, Benitez said that he was satisfied that Bellamy was sufficiently reformed as a character to play for Liverpool.

Benitez said at the time he had spoken to different people about the player, a childhood Liverpool fan, and satisfied himself he would not be a risk. "We know about the past, but we think the future can be very good, for him and us," Benitez said in July. "We analysed his background and talked to him clearly and honestly. He's more mature."

Reports of an attack on one of his key players prompted the Norway manager, Age Hareide, to ring Riise, 26, to check on his physical well-being. Hareide told Norwegian journalists: "John Arne is fine. He escaped without injuries."

Offline Jens from Sweden

• "We havent bid for him and never will. Torres wont come here someone fucking quote me on this"
  • Kopite
  • Momo Sissoko- size does matter
« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2007, 12:29:04 pm »
Is that Kewell? 8th picture.
the more i look at it the more i think with mourihno in charge of us w'd have a better chance of winning the league.
I quoted you so we all can laugh at your foolness.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2007, 12:29:22 pm »
Player told police he 'loved them'
Our Correspondent on eyewitness accounts of the Liverpool fracas in Portugal
The Times
February 19, 2007
James Ducker

Craig Bellamy was not the only member of the Liverpool squad to disgrace himself in Portugal but it might have always been asking too much to hope that, if controversy ever flared at the club, he would have nothing to do with it.

How BenÍtez must be regretting allowing his players to go out last Thursday night. The manager had been persuaded by some of the squad to allow them to enjoy a meal and some drinks out before they flew back home from their five-day training camp in the sun-baked Algarve resort of Vale do Lobo the next day. It was a reasonable request that drew an equally fair response – yes, but remember who you are, where you are and that you have your biggest match of the season so far against Barcelona in the Champions League on Wednesday.

What ensued was an insult to BenÍtez, who had treated his players with the respect they expect only to have it thrown back in his face by one or two miscreants. No wonder the manager will think twice the next time his players ask to go out when overseas.

The evening had started well enough and in good humour at Monty’s Restaurant and Bar, but alcohol changed all that. Bellamy is alleged to have got involved in a drunken row with John Arne Riise when the Norwegian – who was not said to be drinking – declined the opportunity to take part in karaoke.

Others, including Jerzy Dudek, Jermaine Pennant and Robbie Fowler, are also alleged to have got involved in a row of their own and, despite the best efforts of Steven Gerrard, the captain, and Peter Crouch, the forward, to keep the peace, the police were called. Enough to persuade the troublemakers to calm down? Apparently not.

Trouble flared again when the party were escorted back to the Barringtons Club and Barringtons-Centro Desportivo hotel, and even though no one was charged or arrested, the noise was such that June and Peter Lover, a retired couple from Harrogate, North Yorkshire, were woken up at about 1.30am and watched in despair from their apartment as armed police, some from Portugal’s riot squad, attempted to restore order.

“There must have been at least five police vehicles and a dozen police under our window,” Mrs Lover said. “The noise was terrible and we simply couldn’t sleep through it. At first it sounded like late-night revelry and we knew the Liverpool squad were downstairs. But then things seemed to get out of hand and the police arrived.” Mr Lover said one player with an Eastern European accent, thought to be Dudek, the Poland goalkeeper, was handcuffed by police before eventually being released. And only when a member of Liverpool’s management team arrived did things calm down.

“He kept telling the police how much he loved them, as if he was pleading to be allowed to go free,” Mr Lover said. “At one point, the police seemed to be slapping him around the face, trying to bring him round and sober him up because he was so drunk. He kept apologising over and over again but the police didn’t want to know. It was only after a while that the police found someone from the Liverpool management, who managed to calm things down and talk quietly. Eventually, the police let the player go after some negotiations and he seemed very relieved indeed and kept thanking them.

“We have many teams around the complex and there is usually no trouble at all, but this was not a very pleasant experience. It was thoroughly shameful and brings a terrible name to a club like Liverpool. These players get paid so much and are often so young, but for something like this to happen is awful.” Where Bellamy was at this point is unclear, but the forward, still angry with Riise, had allegedly made a beeline for his teammate back at the hotel and hit him around the legs with a golf club. Age Hareide, the Norway manager, seemed to confirm the alleged incident yesterday when he said that Riise was “fine” and “escaped without injuries”.

All of which provides an unnecessary and unseemly pretext to Liverpool’s first knockout round, first leg clash with Barcelona at the Nou Camp and has left a bad taste in the mouths of the club’s new American owners, George Gillett Jr and Tom Hicks.

BenÍtez had been encouraged to hear of dissent in the Spanish team’s camp last week, but, depressingly, the situation has been turned on its head. Only time will tell whether it adversely affects Liverpool’s hopes of progressing in the competition.

Bellamy will still be around, then, but it is unlikely to be for much longer after that.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2007, 12:36:00 pm »
Benitez won’t hang Bellamy out to dry
Feb 19 2007
by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

CRAIG BELLAMY has found himself back in the place which has consistently undermined his career – the front page.

The Welshman has already felt the force of a club fine, and now faces an anxious wait until the end of the season to see if he will be evicted from the ‘last chance saloon’ into which he was granted entry when moving to Anfield last summer.

However, although the 27-year-old felt the wrath of manager Rafa Benitez on Friday, there is also a feeling within Anfield a picture of events has been painted with the primary intention of presenting Bellamy as the bad guy.

Benitez’s despair at the events in the Algarve on Thursday was only marginally greater than his anger at the leaking of the details to the newspapers.

It is clear information was provided which, to quote an Anfield source, ‘was designed to kill Bellamy’s Liverpool career’ when he wasn’t the only one at fault.

Ironic as it is, yesterday’s front pages may have won Bellamy more sympathy from the manager than seemed possible on Friday.

Both Bellamy and John Arne Riise have been hit in the pocket, but other senior stars were also fined by Benitez, who won’t tolerate such breaches of discipline, after allowing the squad a night out after an arduous week’s training in Portugal.

Jamie Carragher, who left Portugal a day early to attend a funeral back home, was one of the few senior players absent.

Benitez set a 12.30am curfew, but this was broken by several players.

It is suggested the argument which broke out between Bellamy and Riise was unsavoury, but nowhere near as violent as has been claimed.

Contrary to the Sunday newspaper report which broke the story, Benitez did not have to intervene to break up the pair. The first the manager knew of the trouble was on Friday when Bellamy, Riise and numerous other players were summoned to explain why they had defied his instructions.

Bellamy and Riise settled their differences and several star names apologised to the manager for breaking the curfew and accepted the club fine.

The squad then trained as normal on Friday morning prior to their return to Merseyside.

Benitez hoped the matter would remain private, but was stunned when it emerged an English newspaper had been given intimate details of events.

The Spanish manager has no intention of discussing the matter publicly, other than yesterday’s brief announcement confirming all those in breach of discipline will be hit in the pocket. That’s believed to be as many as six players.

He won’t be immediately kicking anyone out of his squad either, although it is inevitable the long-term futures of certain players must now be under a cloud.

The ultimate kick in the teeth for Benitez is the incident came just hours after he had praised the players for creating a positive atmosphere, and training so well before their trip to the Nou Camp. It was this which prompted him to trust the players with a night out.

And even though this seems to have backfired, Benitez would willingly allow similar nights out in the future as he doesn’t believe what occurred equates to much more than young, rather irresponsible footballers, making a series of stupid errors of judgement.

He’s now juggling his managerial responsibilities by taking firm action while ensuring the focus remains on Wednesday’s cup tie, and any internal divisions are swiftly erased for the good of the club.

Although many believe Bellamy has now sealed his fate in the summer, the striker,Riise and the others now recognise they owe a huge debt to their club and Benitez, and it isn’t just financial.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 12:42:15 pm by Brigada Internacional »

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2007, 12:37:17 pm »
What a time for something like this (if true) to happen.

Less than a week to go until one leg of our season defining match and the players are behaving like this.

If these photos are 'staged' then I think this is pathetic.

If these stories are true then the ones involved should be shipped out 1st thing in the transfer window.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2007, 12:38:30 pm »
Reds fracas: Bellamy a 'scapegoat'
Feb 19 2007
Exclusive by Catherine Jones, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL'S under-fire striker Craig Bellamy may have been made a scapegoat for the Reds stars' Algarve rumpus.

Sources within the club suggest the 27-year-old Welsh international was exploited as an easy target to deflect blame from a large number of players involved in breaches of discipline.

Other players said to have been involved include Robbie Fowler, Jermaine Pennant and Jerzy Dudek.

Today the club was continuing an investigation into how details of the incident were leaked to the media amid concern Bellamy may be the victim of deliberate attempts to further damage his name.

Reds manager Rafa Benitez is understood to regard Bellamy as no more or less guilty than any of the players involved. Up to six players have now been fined by the manager, most for breaking curfew.

While Bellamy WAS involved in a dust-up with John Arne Riise, the ECHO has learned that it was far less serious than presented by Sunday newspapers.

Claims have been made that Bellamy repeatedly swung a golf club at the 26-year-old Norwegian’s legs, yet Riise is fit and likely to start Wednesday night’s game with Barcelona.

Bellamy is also likely to start, while all other fined players will at least be in the squad for the Champions League tie.

The pair clashed after Riise apparently refused to join in with a karaoke sing-song during the party last Thursday.

When they returned to the team’s hotel a brawl started with Bellamy attacking Riise with a golf club.

The squad, including Riise and Bellamy, were back in training yesterday at Melwood after the five-day break.

Manager Rafa Benitez said today: “I met with the entire first team squad yesterday morning and made it absolutely clear to all of them the responsibilities that come with playing for this club and the way they’re expected to conduct themselves both on and off the pitch.

“The players worked extremely hard at last week's training camp, but we’ll take disciplinary action and fine any of them who are found to have breached club rules.

“Despite reports to the contrary, the spirit among the lads is very good with everyone looking forward to the game against Barcelona on Wednesday.”

Punishment can take the form of a fine of up to two weeks’ wages.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 12:41:51 pm by Brigada Internacional »

Offline RayO'Biscan

• Who controls the past, controls the future.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass 'n' Move!
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2007, 12:39:56 pm »
Yeah, our team is so pathetic.  ::)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2007, 12:39:57 pm »
Bellamy facing fine for fracas
Feb 19 2007
by Ian Doyle, Liverpool Daily Post

CRAIG BELLAMY is set to be fined two weeks’ wages for his part in the training camp flare-up that has overshadowed Liverpool’s preparations for their Champions League clash with Barcelona.

The Wales international is alleged to have threatened to attack team-mate John Arne Riise with a golf club after a drinking session on the final night of the squad’s five-day stay in Portugal.

Reports from local newspapers also allege the behaviour of Jermaine Pennant, Robbie Fowler and Jerzy Dudek in the early hours of Friday morning led to police being called to the Barringtons Centro Deportivo hotel in the Algarve Vale de Lobo resort, with the Polish goalkeeper briefly restrained by the authorities.

While Liverpool believe the reports have been blown out of all proportion, manager Rafael Benitez has taken a dim view of the situation and yesterday moved to publicly remind his players of their responsibilities.

And Bellamy will be hit with a two-week fine – thought to be in the region of £80,000 – with Benitez also considering disciplinary action against Dudek and those players heavily involved in the trouble.

“I met this morning with the entire first team squad and made it absolutely clear to all of them the responsibilities that come with playing for this club and the way they are expected to conduct themselves both on and off the pitch,” said Benitez yesterday.

“The players worked extremely hard at last week’s training camp, but we will take disciplinary action and fine any of them who are found to have breached club rules during our stay in Portugal. I’ve told the players this and they understand and accept the decision I have taken.

“Despite reports to the contrary, the spirit among the lads is very good with everyone looking forward to the game against Barcelona on Wednesday.

“We remain totally focused on what will be a very tough game against the defending European Champions.”

Norway manager Age Hareide was so alarmed he rang Riise to check on the left-back’s well-being.

And he revealed: “John Arne is fine. He escaped without injuries.”

It is the latest in a long list of misdemeanours involving Bellamy.

Last November, the 27-year-old Wales striker was cleared of assaulting two women in a Cardiff nightclub, while he was forced out of former club Newcastle United two years ago by then manager Graeme Souness following a series of disputes.

He has struggled to find his best form since arriving at Anfield in a £6million move from Blackburn Rovers last summer, scoring eight times in 31 appearances.

Nevertheless, Bellamy is expected to be in the squad that travels to Barcelona tomorrow morning ahead of the first leg of their Champions League first knockout round tie at the Nou Camp on Wednesday.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 12:41:34 pm by Brigada Internacional »

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2007, 12:41:17 pm »
Now take out Barca
Feb 19 2007
by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ will urge Craig Bellamy and John Arne Riise to make amends for their Portuguese bust-up by redeeming themselves in Barcelona on Wednesday.

Both players are included in the squad for the Champions League clash in Spain after apologising and accepting fines for the fracas in the Algarve.

At this stage, Benitez has no intention of enforcing anything other than a financial penalty on those involved in the incidents.

He hopes to switch attention on the more pressing concern of the last 16 of the European Cup.

The Liverpool pair were called to account on Friday morning, hours after the drunken brawl in which Bellamy was alleged to have struck Riise with a golf club.

They put their differences aside to train as normal on the final day in Portugal and although lurid details were leaked over the weekend, Liverpool were already dealing with the matter internally.

Benitez is known to feel disappointed and let down by the behaviour of numerous members of his squad in the build-up to such a pivotal European game, but privately he’s also keen Bellamy should not be seen as the scapegoat.

Benitez wants those involved to channel their attention on repaying their debt in the Nou Camp in midweek.

Offline Jay_Mc

• Kopite
What would you rather - Tell your kids you sat and moaned on an internet forum or that you done something about it

Join Your Union

www.spiritofshankly.com

Offline Jens from Sweden

• "We havent bid for him and never will. Torres wont come here someone fucking quote me on this"
  • Kopite
  • Momo Sissoko- size does matter
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2007, 12:44:32 pm »

If these photos are 'staged' then I think this is pathetic.

We´ll never know so STFU.

Now is that Harry?
the more i look at it the more i think with mourihno in charge of us w'd have a better chance of winning the league.
I quoted you so we all can laugh at your foolness.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2007, 12:47:30 pm »
Yeah, our team is so pathetic.  ::)
Who said anything about the team being pathetic?

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2007, 12:48:43 pm »
We´ll never know so STFU.

Now is that Harry?
Yes he is so....STFU.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 12:58:49 pm by Raj_ »

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2007, 12:50:06 pm »
I dont care how the club try to dress it up, Bellamy should be shown the door along with the other dickheads who have dragged our clubs name through the mud and let Rafa and us the fans down.

Justice for the 96.

hoonin

« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2007, 12:50:26 pm »
Its just a rehashing of yesterdays speculation, along with the clubs official statement. 2+2 = 7. Or in otherwords, a bit of guesswork?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2007, 12:51:51 pm »
London media in trying to derail the reds before a European Cup game shocker.

Now WHO would have thought it? Not like they've ever done it before is it?

:D :D :D

The Press are bigger liars than Politicians and that's saying something
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2007, 12:52:41 pm »
you lot never heard of photoshop. :P JAR has a broken kneecap well according to our Norwegian friend he has anyway...
If it's his right knee, he'll be OK.. :P

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #191 on: February 19, 2007, 12:54:21 pm »
I dont care how the club try to dress it up, Bellamy should be shown the door along with the other dickheads who have dragged our clubs name through the mud and let Rafa and us the fans down.

All in good time, all in good time.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2007, 12:57:13 pm »
If we get a good result in Barca, I couldn't give a fuck about this to be honest.

young lads on tour, have a few drinks, bit of aggro, everything OK the next day, so what.
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline stevemacsteve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2007, 12:57:26 pm »
http://twitter.com/stevewatt1

John looks like a "special" guy who's just won a day out training with his heroes.
"My names John!  I like crayons!"

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2007, 12:57:48 pm »

On the same grounds I presume that Jamie Carragher would no longer be a Liverpool player had you been in charge.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2007, 12:57:48 pm »
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=benitez-won%2D%2D8217%2Dt-hang-bellamy-out-to-dry%26method=full%26objectid=18643576%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=reds-fracas%2D-bellamy-a-%2Dscapegoat%2D%26method=full%26objectid=18643529%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Read them two stories. Might make people take a slightly more balanced few and think less off all the fuckin tabloid "stories"
Mate, all those articles say is that something did happen and that Bellamy is being made a scapegoat.  It is obvious that the media in this country has blown it way out of proportion with suggestions of people beating each other with golf clubs.  As exciting as it sounds 'Bellamy Has Hissy Fit and Then Calms Down' will not sell as many papers.

I am just really dissappointed that this has happened.  I know that from time to time we can expect something like this but less than a week before a very, very big game?  We have a had quite a dissappointing season so far so you would think the players would have other things on their minds rather than fighting over Karaoke.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2007, 12:58:26 pm »
KOP CLOSES RANKS AFTER ALGARVE SHAME
David Maddock 19/02/2007
Mirror

WHILE boss Rafa Benitez was keen to play down the controversy that has rocked his club this weekend, he knows that the aggro on the Algarve could be the death knell for Liverpool's season.

The Merseyside club realise their entire campaign will be rendered worthless if they fall to heavy defeat at the hands of Barcelona on Wednesday in a crucial Champions League clash at the Nou Camp.

Yet the Spanish coach in the build-up to Wednesday's epic contest has had to deal with a shameful series of drunken brawls and fighting between his own players that has sullied the reputation of this great football club.

A calm Benitez has assured Liverpool supporters that the trip to a Portugal training camp was a success, and that team spirit is unaffected by the bust-up between Craig Bellamy and John Arne Riise.

But privately the Spaniard is said to be furious, with those close to the club revealing that Benitez refuses to countenance any hint of unprofessional behaviour.

For Bellamy in particular that means a troubled last third of the season as he attempts to win back the trust of a manager who showed during his time with Valencia a readiness to move players on at the first whiff of trouble.

Benitez is a pragmatist and that is why he has merely fined the striker - along with Riise and Jerzy Dudek - arguing that he needs all three for the trip to the Nou Camp. But come the summer, when he will be armed with the financial muscle to bring in top strikers from across Europe, it could be a very different story, especially if the new family-orientated American owners of the club exert pressure.

George Gillett and Tom Hicks have both promoted pure wholesome values at their sports teams in the States, and the last thing they want on completion of their £450million Liverpool takeover is a PR disaster.

Bellamy hardly fits the image of a clean-cut sportsman and he could be sacrificed as the two Americans try to make their mark on the club. One insider close to Benitez said yesterday:

"He may seem calm but he is very, very angry about this. He has read the riot act to the players and told them that there are no more chances.

"It's the last thing he wants so close to such a massive game for him and for the club.

"He doesn't want to go back to Spain having to answer questions about discipline, and Bellamy in particular will be a marked man."

In defence of the Welshman, his antics - while unprofessional - were not quite as bad as were first reported.

And the rest of the Liverpool squad - with the exception of Dudek - were well behaved on their karaoke night in Monty's Restaurant and Bar at the upmarket Vale do Lobo resort.

Police were called when Dudek became involved in an argument with an off-duty officer in the bar, but no arrests were made. The keeper was briefly handcuffed and later released with a warning. He also faces a club fine.

Earlier in the evening, Riise and Bellamy had something of a stand-off when the Norwegian rounded on his Welsh colleague and told him to back off after jibes about the karaoke.

Bellamy had barracked Riise for not singing and in the end was told to back down and keep his mouth shut.

That seemed to be the end of the incident but trouble flared an hour later back at the hotel when, armed with a golf club, Bellamy went in search of revenge for what he saw as a public humiliation by his colleague.

The two players were involved in a drunken bust-up in Riise's room after Bellamy had hammered at his door. But, contrary to earlier reports, Bellamy did not viciously beat his team-mate, instead merely prodding him with the golf club and threatening him with abusive language.

Benitez was called to the scene, gave both men a dressing-down, and warned them that they would face club discipline on their return to England. Now Bellamy, Riise and Dudek will be hit by penalties of two weeks' wages.

Contrary to reports, no other players were involved and several who were named in newspapers over the weekend, including Jermaine Pennant, are now considering legal action.

For Benitez the biggest worry will be the impact on team morale. Fighting between two first-team players is hardly conducive to the development of team spirit, but he will bank on Barcelona being in equal disarray following their own internal strife.

Last night Benitez insisted: "The spirit among the lads is very good and we are all looking forward to the game against Barcelona on Wednesday."

Should his side crash to a heavy defeat, though, then his mood will not be so generous, and Bellamy in particular will pay the price for failure.

Offline WaltonRed

• Oct 4th: Don't be stupid there are no buyers. Oct 6th: These buyers. I don't like them. Oct 8th: ???
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2007, 12:59:06 pm »
London media in trying to derail the reds before a European Cup game shocker.

Now WHO would have thought it? Not like they've ever done it before is it?

:D :D :D

The Press are bigger liars than Politicians and that's saying something

have you seen the echo this afternoon? or this morning's Post?  or listened to City today? its not all london media.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2007, 12:59:37 pm »
If it's his right knee, he'll be OK.. :P

.. if he plugged a 7 iron into the back of his skull he'd be OK.. ;)

Offline Fowllah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What the fuck was I thinking with this pseudo?
« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »
We don't know what really happened and they seemed alright in training over the weekend... As a player I like him, I think he's an asset and has been one of our better players this season.